|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
2. How does Christoper want Uncle Philip to help him become "more English?"
3. Where does Christopher unexpectedly reunite with Colonel Chamberlain?
4. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
5. How does Christopher describe Miss Givens's smiles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
2. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
3. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
4. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
5. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
6. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
7. How does Uncle Philip set the stage for Christopher's mother's abduction?
8. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
9. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
10. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
Essay Topic 2
The motif of the outsider is featured in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Choose three scenes from the novel where Ishiguro uses this motif to advance the plot and develop characters. How is this done?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)