|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
2. What kind of establishment is the Dorchester?
3. How does Akira feel about Ling Tien?
4. As a child what is Christopher's feeling about his ambition to become a great detective?
5. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
2. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
3. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
4. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
5. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
6. What is the "dining room episode?"
7. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
8. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
9. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
10. How does Uncle Philip set the stage for Christopher's mother's abduction?
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel the reader has traveled with Christopher backwards and forwards in time and from Shanghai to London and back. Starting at the earliest point in time, describe Christopher's journey? Make sure your account has a beginning, middle and end. Having put the story in chronological order, do you understand anything new about the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
This section contains 1,561 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)