|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does remembering the end of his relationship with Uncle Philip make Christopher feel?
2. Years later what does Christopher recognize about the plump-faced man?
3. How does old Christopher recognize Wang Ku in the photograph?
4. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
5. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's residence in 1937.
2. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
3. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
4. How is Christopher and Akira's friendship when Akira returns from Japan?
5. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
6. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
7. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
8. What does Akira say when Christopher asks if his parents sometime stop talking to each other?
9. When Christopher finally sees Akira after Mr. Banks disappearance, how does Akira behave?
10. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of Wang Ku's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three examples of Christopher's perception of himself clashing with others' perception of him. What is the effect of this perception gap? Why do you think Ishiguro uses this device?
Essay Topic 2
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)