|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
2. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
3. How does Osbourne offend Christopher?
4. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
5. What musical instrument does Uncle Philip encourage Christopher to go with him to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
2. What is the "dining room episode?"
3. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
4. Describe Christopher's residence in 1937.
5. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
6. Who is the plump-faced man in Christopher's newspaper photograph?
7. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
8. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
9. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
10. What does Akira say when Christopher asks if his parents sometime stop talking to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring the development of Christopher Banks. What is the reader led to believe about him at first? What things does Christopher say that encourage the reader to look at him differently? Is he a reliable narrator? How much more does the reader know about Christopher at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Sir Cecil Medhurst? What does he represent to Christopher? How does his demise change the direction of Christopher Bank's future?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)