|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the road whose side streets are so heavily trafficked?
2. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
3. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
4. What is Christopher's initial explanation for Akira's reverence for Mrs. Banks?
5. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christopher remember about the days following his father's disappearance?
2. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
3. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
4. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
5. What happens after Uncle Philip leaves Christopher?
6. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
7. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
8. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
9. How is Jennifer's nanny selected?
10. How does the Emery case wrap up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christopher's mother is one of the most prominent figures in his life both before and after her abduction. What qualities does Christopher inherit from his mother? How do these very qualities prevent him from giving up on finding her? How is Christopher's relationship with his mother transformed by her abduction? How is it transformed by her rescue?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Christopher's relationship with Akira play in the story? How does it evolve? How does it shape the man Christopher becomes?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the development of Christopher Banks. What is the reader led to believe about him at first? What things does Christopher say that encourage the reader to look at him differently? Is he a reliable narrator? How much more does the reader know about Christopher at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)