|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Uncle Philip says to Christopher?
2. What nickname do the Banks and Uncle Philip call Christopher?
3. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
4. How does Sarah get into the Foundation dinner without an invitation?
5. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
2. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
3. What is the "dining room episode?"
4. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
5. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
6. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
7. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
8. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of Wang Ku's visit?
9. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
10. What happens to Christopher and Sarah at David Corbett's luncheon on Lower Regent Street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
Essay Topic 3
What role does detection play in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS? What inherent qualities in Christopher's character do you think lead him to this career choice? How do his family circumstances shape him as a detective?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)