Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
2. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
5. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
4. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
5. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
6. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
7. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
8. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
9. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
10. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
Essay Topic 1
What is Sarah Hemmings' role in the novel? What does she represent for Christopher? At the end of the novel, Christopher wonders how her life has turned out. What do you think based on what we know about her?
Essay Topic 2
Kazuo Ishiguro is very specific about dates and years In WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Why is specificity of time crucial to the story? What does it reveal about the narrator? How does it affect the reader? How does this specificity contrast with Christopher's highly subjective memories of his past?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)