Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
2. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
5. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
4. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
5. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
6. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
7. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
8. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
9. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
10. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS is written in first person. Why is this the most effective choice for Ishiguro's purposes? Discuss the impact of first person on character and story development.
In chapter sixteen, Sarah urges Christopher to run away with her to Macao. What does Macao represent? Why is Macao particularly enticing to Christopher when Sarah asks him? On an emotional level, what prevents Christopher from making it there?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)