|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Ling Tien's bottle of lotion?
2. How old are Akira and Christopher when they finally enter Ling Tien's room?
3. How many days pass before Christopher sees Akira on Etsuko's bicycle?
4. What is Christopher's reaction to the "bursting-in" moment his father referred to?
5. What kind of lawn did Christopher's family have in their garden in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
4. What does Akira say when Christopher asks if his parents sometime stop talking to each other?
5. What happens to Christopher and Sarah at David Corbett's luncheon on Lower Regent Street?
6. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
7. Who is Uncle Philip?
8. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
9. Describe Ling Tien.
10. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Christopher's relationship with Akira play in the story? How does it evolve? How does it shape the man Christopher becomes?
Essay Topic 3
The motif of the outsider is featured in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Choose three scenes from the novel where Ishiguro uses this motif to advance the plot and develop characters. How is this done?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)