Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
2. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
5. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
4. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
5. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
6. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
7. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
8. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
9. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
10. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
Essay Topic 1
Kazuo Ishiguro is very specific about dates and years In WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Why is specificity of time crucial to the story? What does it reveal about the narrator? How does it affect the reader? How does this specificity contrast with Christopher's highly subjective memories of his past?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the development of Christopher Banks. What is the reader led to believe about him at first? What things does Christopher say that encourage the reader to look at him differently? Is he a reliable narrator? How much more does the reader know about Christopher at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Christopher's mother is one of the most prominent figures in his life both before and after her abduction. What qualities does Christopher inherit from his mother? How do these very qualities prevent him from giving up on finding her? How is Christopher's relationship with his mother transformed by her abduction? How is it transformed by her rescue?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)