|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Uncle Philip suggest he, Mrs. Banks and Christopher go after the Saturday meeting?
2. How does Osbourne offend Christopher?
3. Who owns Christopher's family's house in Shanghai?
4. How does Christopher describe the atmosphere at breakfast on the days of the campaign meetings.
5. What kind of tree rises out of the mound in Christopher's garden in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "dining room episode?"
2. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
3. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
4. How is Christopher's relationship with Mei Li transformed by his mother's abduction?
5. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
6. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
7. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
8. Where is Christopher's father's study and what are the rules about it?
9. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
10. What happens after Uncle Philip leaves Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three examples of Christopher's perception of himself clashing with others' perception of him. What is the effect of this perception gap? Why do you think Ishiguro uses this device?
Essay Topic 3
Social distinctions play a prominent role in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Discuss how Ishiguro uses social distinctions to advance the plot and to define relationships between characters. Use examples from Shanghai and Britain.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)