|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
2. Why does Christopher become irritated with Chamberlain at the Dorchester?
3. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
4. Why does Jennifer grope around the drawing room?
5. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
2. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
3. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
4. How does Christopher feel about Akira the summer prior to his friend's leaving for school in Nagasaki?
5. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of Wang Ku's visit?
6. Describe Ling Tien.
7. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
8. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
9. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
10. Describe Christopher's residence in 1937.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does detection play in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS? What inherent qualities in Christopher's character do you think lead him to this career choice? How do his family circumstances shape him as a detective?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
Essay Topic 3
Social distinctions play a prominent role in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Discuss how Ishiguro uses social distinctions to advance the plot and to define relationships between characters. Use examples from Shanghai and Britain.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)