|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Uncle Philip encourage Christopher to go with him to see?
2. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
4. How is the weather on the day Christopher "lowers his guard?"
5. What is the date of Part III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Emery case wrap up?
2. What does Akira say when Christopher asks if his parents sometime stop talking to each other?
3. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
4. When Christopher finally sees Akira after Mr. Banks disappearance, how does Akira behave?
5. How is Christopher's relationship with Mei Li transformed by his mother's abduction?
6. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
7. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
8. Who is Uncle Philip?
9. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
10. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three examples of Christopher's perception of himself clashing with others' perception of him. What is the effect of this perception gap? Why do you think Ishiguro uses this device?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)