|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shape of Christopher's London home in Part III?
2. How does old Christopher remember Colonel Chamberlain?
3. What is Christopher's response to Sarah's proposal that he take her to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
4. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
5. What is Lady Beaton's first reaction to Christopher's proposal that he adopt Jennifer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Akira believe about Ling Tien?
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
4. What is significant about the disappearance of Jennifer's trunk?
5. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
6. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
7. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
8. How does Uncle Philip set the stage for Christopher's mother's abduction?
9. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
10. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel the reader has traveled with Christopher backwards and forwards in time and from Shanghai to London and back. Starting at the earliest point in time, describe Christopher's journey? Make sure your account has a beginning, middle and end. Having put the story in chronological order, do you understand anything new about the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)