|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christopher tell Colonel Chamberlain that he doesn't think it will be necessary for him to go to England?
2. What is Christopher's reaction to the "bursting-in" moment his father referred to?
3. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
4. What kind of publishing does Osbourne say he is thinking of going into?
5. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Akira say when Christopher asks if his parents sometime stop talking to each other?
2. Who is the plump-faced man in Christopher's newspaper photograph?
3. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
4. Describe Christopher's residence in 1937.
5. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
6. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
7. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
8. How does Akira feel after stealing Ling Tien's lotion?
9. How does the Emery case wrap up?
10. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Sir Cecil Medhurst? What does he represent to Christopher? How does his demise change the direction of Christopher Bank's future?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)