|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
2. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
5. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
2. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
3. Describe an instance of Mr. Banks boasting.
4. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
5. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
6. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
7. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
8. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
9. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
10. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel the reader has traveled with Christopher backwards and forwards in time and from Shanghai to London and back. Starting at the earliest point in time, describe Christopher's journey? Make sure your account has a beginning, middle and end. Having put the story in chronological order, do you understand anything new about the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the advent of World War II play in the novel? How does the shape of world events parallel events in Christopher's life?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)