|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Banks' "library" like?
2. What does the event Osbourne takes Christopher to turn out to be?
3. How does Christopher describe Miss Givens's smiles?
4. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
5. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the game Christopher and Akira invent.
2. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
3. Who is Uncle Philip?
4. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
5. What is the "dining room episode?"
6. Describe Ling Tien.
7. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
8. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
9. How does Christopher feel about Akira the summer prior to his friend's leaving for school in Nagasaki?
10. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
Essay Topic 2
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
Essay Topic 3
What role does detection play in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS? What inherent qualities in Christopher's character do you think lead him to this career choice? How do his family circumstances shape him as a detective?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)