|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
2. Where does Uncle Philip suggest he, Mrs. Banks and Christopher go after the Saturday meeting?
3. What is the Banks' "library" like?
4. Who first tells Christopher about Jennifer?
5. How does Christopher describe Miss Givens's smiles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christopher's relationship with Mei Li transformed by his mother's abduction?
2. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
3. How is Jennifer's nanny selected?
4. What kinds of presents does Uncle Philip give Christopher when the boy comes to visit his office?
5. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
6. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
7. Who is the plump-faced man in Christopher's newspaper photograph?
8. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
9. How is Christopher put in a difficult position when Uncle Philip suggests a trip to the racecourse?
10. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Sarah Hemmings' role in the novel? What does she represent for Christopher? At the end of the novel, Christopher wonders how her life has turned out. What do you think based on what we know about her?
Essay Topic 2
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)