|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
(a) Sir Cecil is very energetic.
(b) Sir Cecil is quite inebriated.
(c) Sir Cecil is perfectly lucid.
(d) Sir Cecil is high on opium.
2. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
(c) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
(d) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
3. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police are short on men.
(b) The police do not trust Christopher.
(c) The police are working for the mob.
(d) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
4. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
(a) A bird that is hurt.
(b) A cat that is hurt.
(c) A dog that is hurt.
(d) A fish that is hurt.
5. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira screams.
(b) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
(c) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
(d) Akira faints.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
2. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
3. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
4. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
5. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
2. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
3. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
4. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
5. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
6. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
7. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
8. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
9. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
10. How does the man driving Christopher to meet Sarah prove to be very useful?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)