|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
(a) Christopher feels it intuitively.
(b) Christopher finds a board on the ground bearing the blind man's name.
(c) Christopher is told by a man in the street.
(d) Christopher recognizes the house from his childhood.
2. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
(a) His father died in a boating accident.
(b) His father shot himself in the head.
(c) His father ran off with his mistress.
(d) His father joined the circus.
3. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
(a) The East Furnace.
(b) The West Furnace.
(c) The South Furnace.
(d) The North Furnace.
4. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
(a) Kung becomes a Buddhist monk.
(b) Kung becomes a drunk and an opium addict.
(c) Kung is murdered in a bar fight.
(d) Kung becomes the most successful detective in all of Asia.
5. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) Inspector Kung.
(b) Colonel Chamberlain.
(c) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
(d) Sarah Hemmings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher ask his driver to point him?
2. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
3. Where does Christopher find Inspector Kung?
4. What does Sarah say is all part of what Shanghai's all about?
5. What makes it difficult to recognize Uncle Philip when Christopher reunites with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
2. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
3. How does the man driving Christopher to meet Sarah prove to be very useful?
4. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
5. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
6. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
7. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
8. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
9. How does Christopher spend his afternoon before meeting up with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club?
10. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)