|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christopher learn about his financial resources?
(a) Christopher's money has been coming from Wang Ku.
(b) Christopher's money has been coming from Uncle Philip.
(c) Christopher's money has been coming from Inspector Kung.
(d) Christopher's money has been coming from his mother.
2. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She runs away to the United States.
(c) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(d) Uncle Philip shoots her.
3. Under what circumstances would Sarah leave Shanghai?
(a) If Sir Cecil dies.
(b) If the Japanes win the war.
(c) If someone comes to her rescue.
(d) If Christopher finds his parents.
4. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
(a) My little vagabond.
(b) My little pony.
(c) My little angel.
(d) My little sugarplum.
5. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
(a) Sir Cecil is very energetic.
(b) Sir Cecil is high on opium.
(c) Sir Cecil is perfectly lucid.
(d) Sir Cecil is quite inebriated.
6. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
(a) An American warship is firing shells.
(b) A Chinese warship is firing shells.
(c) A Japanese warship is firing shells.
(d) Someone has bombed the British Embassy.
7. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
(a) The city center.
(b) The Inn of Morning Happiness.
(c) A phonograph store.
(d) Nanking Road.
8. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
(a) No one.
(b) Inspector Kung.
(c) The lieutenant.
(d) The sergeant.
9. How is Christopher greeted at the police station?
10. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) Colonel Chamberlain.
(b) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
(c) Inspector Kung.
(d) Sarah Hemmings.
11. How many days is Christopher in town before Morgan telephones him?
12. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Burn down his house.
(c) Have him arrested.
(d) Take all his money.
13. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
(a) Christopher's escort yells at Christopher.
(b) Christopher's escort remains calm and polite.
(c) Christopher's escort laughs heartily.
(d) Christopher's escort leaves coldly.
14. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
(c) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
(d) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
15. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police do not trust Christopher.
(b) The police are short on men.
(c) The police are working for the mob.
(d) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
2. Who turns out to be the senior intelligence man?
3. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
4. What does Christopher find in the house?
5. What is the date and location of Part VII?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)