|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Christopher's morning meeting with MacDonald go?
(a) Christopher detects a mysterious undertone to the meeting.
(b) Christopher is very late for the meeting.
(c) The meeting goes swimmingly.
(d) Christopher mishandles the meeting.
2. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
(a) A fish that is hurt.
(b) A dog that is hurt.
(c) A cat that is hurt.
(d) A bird that is hurt.
3. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
(a) Inspector Kung wishes to become Christopher's partner.
(b) Inspector Kung is going to rehab to deal with his opium addiction.
(c) Inspector Kung is leaving Shanghai for London in two days.
(d) Inspector Kung remembers that the house Christopher wishes to find is across the street from a blind man's house.
4. Who comes out of the house in question?
(a) A beautiful young woman.
(b) A six-year-old girl.
(c) A withered old man.
(d) Christopher's father.
5. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
(a) The car is hit by a rocket.
(b) The car runs out of gas.
(c) Christopher's driver turns out to be a spy.
(d) Christopher and the driver come upon the war zone.
6. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
(b) Akira screams.
(c) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
(d) Akira faints.
7. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
(a) Christopher finds a board on the ground bearing the blind man's name.
(b) Christopher feels it intuitively.
(c) Christopher recognizes the house from his childhood.
(d) Christopher is told by a man in the street.
8. What do the Japanese soldiers tell Christopher about Akira?
(a) Akira is a homosexual.
(b) Akira is needed at the base.
(c) Akira is a brave soldier.
(d) Akira is suspected of being a traitor.
9. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
(a) Christopher's escort is attempting to sabotage Christopher.
(b) Christopher's escort has pressing business out of town.
(c) Christopher's escort gets a call from his wife.
(d) Christopher's escort believes Christopher will be safer alone because he is white.
10. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
(a) The West Furnace.
(b) The East Furnace.
(c) The South Furnace.
(d) The North Furnace.
11. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
(a) Christopher's mother.
(c) Uncle Philip.
(d) Christopher's father.
12. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
(c) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(d) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
13. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
(a) Christopher's escort remains calm and polite.
(b) Christopher's escort laughs heartily.
(c) Christopher's escort leaves coldly.
(d) Christopher's escort yells at Christopher.
14. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
(a) Sir Cecil is quite inebriated.
(b) Sir Cecil is very energetic.
(c) Sir Cecil is perfectly lucid.
(d) Sir Cecil is high on opium.
15. Where does Christopher ask his driver to point him?
(a) A safehouse.
(b) A public house.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A police station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher find Inspector Kung?
2. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
3. Under what circumstances would Sarah leave Shanghai?
4. Who turns out to be the senior intelligence man?
5. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)