|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
(a) His father shot himself in the head.
(b) His father joined the circus.
(c) His father ran off with his mistress.
(d) His father died in a boating accident.
2. What are the date and location of Part V?
(a) September 23, 1931, Shanghai.
(b) September 29, 1931, Shanghai.
(c) September 20, 1937, Shanghai.
(d) September 29, 1937, Shanghai.
3. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
(a) Uncle Philip.
(b) Christopher's father.
(d) Christopher's mother.
4. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
(c) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(d) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
5. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
(a) The lieutenant.
(b) The sergeant.
(c) Inspector Kung.
(d) No one.
6. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
(a) The Yellow Snake Killings.
(b) The White Cobra Killings.
(c) The Green Lion Killings.
(d) The Black Bear Killings.
7. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
(a) Morgan is scattered.
(b) Morgan is urgent in a nonchalant way.
(c) Morgan is comfortable.
(d) Morgan is fighting back tears.
8. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
(a) Christopher says he hopes to marry again.
(b) Christopher says he is a homosexual.
(c) Christopher says it is too late for him.
(d) Christopher says he has never been in love in his whole life.
9. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
(a) My little sugarplum.
(b) My little angel.
(c) My little pony.
(d) My little vagabond.
10. How does Christopher behave the morning after Sarah's invitation?
(a) Christopher calls the police and lets them know he will be leaving Shanghai.
(b) Christopher finds Akira and tells him he will be leaving Shanghai.
(c) Christopher behaves as though he is not leaving Shanghai.
(d) Christopher calls Jennifer and tells her he will be leaving Shanghai.
11. What do the Japanese soldiers tell Christopher about Akira?
(a) Akira is needed at the base.
(b) Akira is a homosexual.
(c) Akira is suspected of being a traitor.
(d) Akira is a brave soldier.
12. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
(a) Kung becomes a Buddhist monk.
(b) Kung becomes the most successful detective in all of Asia.
(c) Kung is murdered in a bar fight.
(d) Kung becomes a drunk and an opium addict.
13. Where does the girl urge Christopher to go?
(a) To the police station.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) Into the house.
(d) To the city center.
14. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
(a) An Englishman.
(b) A Chinese spy.
(c) A spy for Yellow Snake.
15. What is the date and location of Part VII?
(a) Novmeber 20, 1952, London.
(b) November 23, 1957, London.
(c) November 14, 1958, London.
(d) November 1, 1956, London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher find Inspector Kung?
2. What does Christopher learn about his financial resources?
3. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
4. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
5. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)