|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date and location of Part VII?
(a) November 23, 1957, London.
(b) November 14, 1958, London.
(c) Novmeber 20, 1952, London.
(d) November 1, 1956, London.
2. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
(a) The soldiers take Christopher to their camp and take care of him.
(b) The soldiers beat Christopher up.
(c) The soldiers give Christopher a shot of whisky from a flask.
(d) The soldiers arrest Christopher.
3. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
(c) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(d) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
4. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(b) Uncle Philip shoots her.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She runs away to the United States.
5. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
(a) Kung remembers the house burned down years ago.
(b) Kung remembers there was a maple tree in the front yard.
(c) Kung fails to remember anything.
(d) Kung remembers it was yellow.
6. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
(a) A waitress.
(b) An actress.
(c) A princess.
(d) A harlot.
7. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
(a) Christopher's escort believes Christopher will be safer alone because he is white.
(b) Christopher's escort is attempting to sabotage Christopher.
(c) Christopher's escort has pressing business out of town.
(d) Christopher's escort gets a call from his wife.
8. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
(a) No one.
(b) Inspector Kung.
(c) The lieutenant.
(d) The sergeant.
9. Where does Christopher ask his driver to point him?
(a) A safehouse.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A public house.
(d) A police station.
10. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira screams.
(b) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
(c) Akira faints.
(d) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
11. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police are working for the mob.
(b) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
(c) The police do not trust Christopher.
(d) The police are short on men.
12. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
(a) Christopher's mother.
(c) Uncle Philip.
(d) Christopher's father.
13. How does Kung respond when Christopher identifies himself as a long time fan?
(a) Kung is wounded.
(b) Kung is unresponsive.
(c) Kung is pleased.
(d) Kung is insulted.
14. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) Colonel Chamberlain.
(b) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
(c) Sarah Hemmings.
(d) Inspector Kung.
15. What does Sarah say is all part of what Shanghai's all about?
(a) Living the high life.
(b) Playing chess.
(c) Being low-life.
(d) Smoking opium.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
2. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
3. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
4. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
5. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)