|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police do not trust Christopher.
(b) The police are short on men.
(c) The police are working for the mob.
(d) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
2. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira screams.
(b) Akira faints.
(c) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
(d) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
3. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
(a) Morgan is fighting back tears.
(b) Morgan is comfortable.
(c) Morgan is urgent in a nonchalant way.
(d) Morgan is scattered.
4. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
(a) Christopher says he is a homosexual.
(b) Christopher says he has never been in love in his whole life.
(c) Christopher says he hopes to marry again.
(d) Christopher says it is too late for him.
5. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
(a) Christopher's escort has pressing business out of town.
(b) Christopher's escort is attempting to sabotage Christopher.
(c) Christopher's escort believes Christopher will be safer alone because he is white.
(d) Christopher's escort gets a call from his wife.
6. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
(a) My little vagabond.
(b) My little angel.
(c) My little pony.
(d) My little sugarplum.
7. Where does Christopher find Inspector Kung?
(a) The Inn of Morning Happiness.
(b) The Lucky Chance Club.
(c) At Christopher's old house.
(d) In a heap on the side of Nanking Road.
8. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
(a) An American warship is firing shells.
(b) A Chinese warship is firing shells.
(c) Someone has bombed the British Embassy.
(d) A Japanese warship is firing shells.
9. What ceremony does Mr. Grayson claim to be in charge of?
(a) The welcoming ceremony for Christopher.
(b) The welcoming ceremony for the Japanese.
(c) The welcoming ceremony for the Americans.
(d) The welcoming ceremony for Christopher's parents.
10. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
(b) Christopher's father.
(c) Uncle Philip.
(d) Christopher's mother.
11. How is the girl's Chinese?
(a) The girl cannot speak Chinese.
(d) Not good.
12. What does Christopher apologize to Jennifer for?
(a) Beating her.
(b) Not being around more in her childhood.
(c) Tickling her mercilessly.
(d) Nagging her.
13. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
(a) Christopher's driver turns out to be a spy.
(b) The car is hit by a rocket.
(c) Christopher and the driver come upon the war zone.
(d) The car runs out of gas.
14. Who comes out of the house in question?
(a) Christopher's father.
(b) A beautiful young woman.
(c) A withered old man.
(d) A six-year-old girl.
15. What are the date and location of Part IV?
(a) September 1, 1931 in London.
(b) September 20, 1937 in Shanghai.
(c) September 15, 1931 in Shanghai.
(d) November 8, 1958 in London
Short Answer Questions
1. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
2. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
3. Where does Sarah ask Christopher to go with her?
4. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
5. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)