|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
(a) As though a vast black space had opened up behind him.
(b) As though a gun had been put in his mouth.
(c) As though he were about to ride an enormous rollercoaster.
(d) As though he were about to fall off a cliff.
2. How does Kung respond when Christopher identifies himself as a long time fan?
(a) Kung is unresponsive.
(b) Kung is insulted.
(c) Kung is wounded.
(d) Kung is pleased.
3. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
(a) Christopher feels pessimistic.
(b) Christopher feels ambivalent.
(c) Christopher feels cautious.
(d) Christopher feels optimistic.
4. What kind of music does the French pianist play?
(a) Bach and Stravinsky.
(b) Chopin and Debussy.
(c) Bizet and Gershwin.
(d) Beethoven and Mozart.
5. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
(a) His father shot himself in the head.
(b) His father ran off with his mistress.
(c) His father joined the circus.
(d) His father died in a boating accident.
6. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
(a) A princess.
(b) A waitress.
(c) A harlot.
(d) An actress.
7. Who comes out of the house in question?
(a) A beautiful young woman.
(b) A withered old man.
(c) Christopher's father.
(d) A six-year-old girl.
8. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
(a) A bird that is hurt.
(b) A dog that is hurt.
(c) A fish that is hurt.
(d) A cat that is hurt.
9. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
(b) Colonel Chamberlain.
(c) Sarah Hemmings.
(d) Inspector Kung.
10. What are the date and location of Part VI?
(a) Ocboter 29, 1937, Shanghai.
(b) October 29, 1937, London.
(c) October 20, 1937, Shanghai.
(d) October 20, 1937, London.
11. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(b) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
(c) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
(d) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
12. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Have him arrested.
(c) Burn down his house.
(d) Take all his money.
13. What does Christopher find in the house?
(a) A fish and three human corpses.
(b) Nothing and no one.
(c) A dog and three human corpses.
(d) A cat and three human corpses.
14. What are the date and location of Part V?
(a) September 20, 1937, Shanghai.
(b) September 23, 1931, Shanghai.
(c) September 29, 1937, Shanghai.
(d) September 29, 1931, Shanghai.
15. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
(a) My little pony.
(b) My little angel.
(c) My little sugarplum.
(d) My little vagabond.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
2. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
3. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
4. What is the date and location of Part VII?
5. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)