|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who turns out to be the senior intelligence man?
(a) Mr. Grayson.
(c) Mr. MacDonald.
(d) Inspector Kung.
2. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
(a) Christopher and the driver come upon the war zone.
(b) The car runs out of gas.
(c) Christopher's driver turns out to be a spy.
(d) The car is hit by a rocket.
3. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
(a) As though he were about to ride an enormous rollercoaster.
(b) As though a gun had been put in his mouth.
(c) As though a vast black space had opened up behind him.
(d) As though he were about to fall off a cliff.
4. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
(a) Kung becomes a Buddhist monk.
(b) Kung becomes a drunk and an opium addict.
(c) Kung is murdered in a bar fight.
(d) Kung becomes the most successful detective in all of Asia.
5. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police are short on men.
(b) The police do not trust Christopher.
(c) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
(d) The police are working for the mob.
6. What are the date and location of Part V?
(a) September 20, 1937, Shanghai.
(b) September 29, 1931, Shanghai.
(c) September 29, 1937, Shanghai.
(d) September 23, 1931, Shanghai.
7. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(c) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
(d) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
8. What kind of music does the French pianist play?
(a) Chopin and Debussy.
(b) Bach and Stravinsky.
(c) Bizet and Gershwin.
(d) Beethoven and Mozart.
9. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(b) Uncle Philip shoots her.
(c) She runs away to the United States.
(d) She commits suicide.
10. What is the date and location of Part VII?
(a) November 14, 1958, London.
(b) November 1, 1956, London.
(c) November 23, 1957, London.
(d) Novmeber 20, 1952, London.
11. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
(a) The Lucky Chance Club.
(c) The city center.
(d) Christopher's old house.
12. What ceremony does Mr. Grayson claim to be in charge of?
(a) The welcoming ceremony for the Japanese.
(b) The welcoming ceremony for the Americans.
(c) The welcoming ceremony for Christopher.
(d) The welcoming ceremony for Christopher's parents.
13. Where does Christopher find Inspector Kung?
(a) The Lucky Chance Club.
(b) In a heap on the side of Nanking Road.
(c) At Christopher's old house.
(d) The Inn of Morning Happiness.
14. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
(a) The Yellow Snake Killings.
(b) The Wu Cheng Lou Shooting Incident.
(c) The Red Square Massacre.
(d) The Foon Chow Fat Poisoning.
15. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
(a) Kung remembers the house burned down years ago.
(b) Kung remembers there was a maple tree in the front yard.
(c) Kung remembers it was yellow.
(d) Kung fails to remember anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
2. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
3. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
4. What are the date and location of Part VI?
5. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)