|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jennifer at the end of the book?
2. What does Sarah say is all part of what Shanghai's all about?
(a) Being low-life.
(b) Playing chess.
(c) Living the high life.
(d) Smoking opium.
3. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) Uncle Philip shoots her.
(c) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(d) She runs away to the United States.
4. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
(a) As though a vast black space had opened up behind him.
(b) As though a gun had been put in his mouth.
(c) As though he were about to ride an enormous rollercoaster.
(d) As though he were about to fall off a cliff.
5. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
(a) Kung remembers the house burned down years ago.
(b) Kung fails to remember anything.
(c) Kung remembers it was yellow.
(d) Kung remembers there was a maple tree in the front yard.
6. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
(a) Christopher says he is a homosexual.
(b) Christopher says he hopes to marry again.
(c) Christopher says it is too late for him.
(d) Christopher says he has never been in love in his whole life.
7. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
(a) Sir Cecil is quite inebriated.
(b) Sir Cecil is perfectly lucid.
(c) Sir Cecil is very energetic.
(d) Sir Cecil is high on opium.
8. Where is Christopher told he may find Sir Cecil and Sarah?
(b) The Lucky Chance Club.
(d) Lun Chow Road.
9. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police do not trust Christopher.
(b) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
(c) The police are short on men.
(d) The police are working for the mob.
10. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) Inspector Kung.
(b) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
(c) Colonel Chamberlain.
(d) Sarah Hemmings.
11. Where does the girl urge Christopher to go?
(a) To the city center.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To the police station.
(d) Into the house.
12. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
(a) My little vagabond.
(b) My little angel.
(c) My little pony.
(d) My little sugarplum.
13. What makes it difficult to recognize Uncle Philip when Christopher reunites with him?
(a) Uncle Philip wears make-up to make him appear Chinese.
(b) Uncle Philip has put on weight over the years.
(c) Uncle Philip now dresses in women's clothing.
(d) Uncle Philip's eyes have been cut out.
14. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
(a) The Yellow Snake Killings.
(b) The Green Lion Killings.
(c) The White Cobra Killings.
(d) The Black Bear Killings.
15. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
(a) Morgan is fighting back tears.
(b) Morgan is comfortable.
(c) Morgan is urgent in a nonchalant way.
(d) Morgan is scattered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
2. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
3. What ceremony does Mr. Grayson claim to be in charge of?
4. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
5. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)