|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christopher apologize to Jennifer for?
(a) Beating her.
(b) Nagging her.
(c) Tickling her mercilessly.
(d) Not being around more in her childhood.
2. Where does the girl urge Christopher to go?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To the city center.
(c) Into the house.
(d) To the police station.
3. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
(a) His father ran off with his mistress.
(b) His father shot himself in the head.
(c) His father died in a boating accident.
(d) His father joined the circus.
4. Where does Sarah ask Christopher to go with her?
5. What do the Japanese soldiers tell Christopher about Akira?
(a) Akira is a homosexual.
(b) Akira is needed at the base.
(c) Akira is a brave soldier.
(d) Akira is suspected of being a traitor.
6. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
(a) The West Furnace.
(b) The North Furnace.
(c) The South Furnace.
(d) The East Furnace.
7. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
(a) Kung remembers there was a maple tree in the front yard.
(b) Kung remembers the house burned down years ago.
(c) Kung fails to remember anything.
(d) Kung remembers it was yellow.
8. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
(a) Sir Cecil is perfectly lucid.
(b) Sir Cecil is very energetic.
(c) Sir Cecil is quite inebriated.
(d) Sir Cecil is high on opium.
9. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
(a) Christopher feels optimistic.
(b) Christopher feels ambivalent.
(c) Christopher feels cautious.
(d) Christopher feels pessimistic.
10. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
(a) Someone has bombed the British Embassy.
(b) A Chinese warship is firing shells.
(c) An American warship is firing shells.
(d) A Japanese warship is firing shells.
11. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
(a) Christopher's escort believes Christopher will be safer alone because he is white.
(b) Christopher's escort has pressing business out of town.
(c) Christopher's escort gets a call from his wife.
(d) Christopher's escort is attempting to sabotage Christopher.
12. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
(a) Kung is murdered in a bar fight.
(b) Kung becomes a Buddhist monk.
(c) Kung becomes the most successful detective in all of Asia.
(d) Kung becomes a drunk and an opium addict.
13. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police do not trust Christopher.
(b) The police are short on men.
(c) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
(d) The police are working for the mob.
14. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
(a) Christopher's driver turns out to be a spy.
(b) The car runs out of gas.
(c) Christopher and the driver come upon the war zone.
(d) The car is hit by a rocket.
15. How many days is Christopher in town before Morgan telephones him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
2. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
3. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
4. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
5. How does Kung respond when Christopher identifies himself as a long time fan?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)