|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
(a) Sir Cecil is high on opium.
(b) Sir Cecil is quite inebriated.
(c) Sir Cecil is very energetic.
(d) Sir Cecil is perfectly lucid.
2. Where does Christopher ask his driver to point him?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A safehouse.
(c) A police station.
(d) A public house.
3. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
(a) As though he were about to ride an enormous rollercoaster.
(b) As though a vast black space had opened up behind him.
(c) As though he were about to fall off a cliff.
(d) As though a gun had been put in his mouth.
4. Who turns out to be the senior intelligence man?
(a) Inspector Kung.
(b) Mr. MacDonald.
(d) Mr. Grayson.
5. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) Sarah Hemmings.
(b) Colonel Chamberlain.
(c) Inspector Kung.
(d) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
6. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
(a) A Chinese warship is firing shells.
(b) An American warship is firing shells.
(c) A Japanese warship is firing shells.
(d) Someone has bombed the British Embassy.
7. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
(b) Akira screams.
(c) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
(d) Akira faints.
8. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
(a) The Wu Cheng Lou Shooting Incident.
(b) The Yellow Snake Killings.
(c) The Red Square Massacre.
(d) The Foon Chow Fat Poisoning.
9. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
(a) Christopher's mother.
(b) Christopher's father.
(d) Uncle Philip.
10. What do the Japanese soldiers tell Christopher about Akira?
(a) Akira is a homosexual.
(b) Akira is needed at the base.
(c) Akira is a brave soldier.
(d) Akira is suspected of being a traitor.
11. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
(a) Christopher's old house.
(c) The Lucky Chance Club.
(d) The city center.
12. Under what circumstances would Sarah leave Shanghai?
(a) If the Japanes win the war.
(b) If someone comes to her rescue.
(c) If Christopher finds his parents.
(d) If Sir Cecil dies.
13. How does Christopher's morning meeting with MacDonald go?
(a) Christopher mishandles the meeting.
(b) Christopher detects a mysterious undertone to the meeting.
(c) The meeting goes swimmingly.
(d) Christopher is very late for the meeting.
14. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
(a) An Englishman.
(b) A Chinese spy.
(d) A spy for Yellow Snake.
15. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
(a) Christopher's driver turns out to be a spy.
(b) The car is hit by a rocket.
(c) The car runs out of gas.
(d) Christopher and the driver come upon the war zone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
2. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
3. What makes it difficult to recognize Uncle Philip when Christopher reunites with him?
4. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
5. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)