|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the date and location of Part V?
(a) September 29, 1931, Shanghai.
(b) September 29, 1937, Shanghai.
(c) September 23, 1931, Shanghai.
(d) September 20, 1937, Shanghai.
2. How is the girl's Chinese?
(b) The girl cannot speak Chinese.
(c) Not good.
3. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
(a) Christopher's mother has lost her mind and no longer recognizes him.
(b) Christopher's mother is happy and healthy living in Hong Kong.
(c) Chistopher's mother is furious with him for leaving her.
(d) Christopher's mother is catatonic.
4. Where does Sarah ask Christopher to go with her?
5. How does Kung respond when Christopher identifies himself as a long time fan?
(a) Kung is pleased.
(b) Kung is wounded.
(c) Kung is insulted.
(d) Kung is unresponsive.
6. How does Christopher behave the morning after Sarah's invitation?
(a) Christopher calls Jennifer and tells her he will be leaving Shanghai.
(b) Christopher finds Akira and tells him he will be leaving Shanghai.
(c) Christopher behaves as though he is not leaving Shanghai.
(d) Christopher calls the police and lets them know he will be leaving Shanghai.
7. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
(a) Morgan is fighting back tears.
(b) Morgan is comfortable.
(c) Morgan is urgent in a nonchalant way.
(d) Morgan is scattered.
8. What ceremony does Mr. Grayson claim to be in charge of?
(a) The welcoming ceremony for the Japanese.
(b) The welcoming ceremony for Christopher's parents.
(c) The welcoming ceremony for the Americans.
(d) The welcoming ceremony for Christopher.
9. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
(a) As though he were about to fall off a cliff.
(b) As though a gun had been put in his mouth.
(c) As though he were about to ride an enormous rollercoaster.
(d) As though a vast black space had opened up behind him.
10. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
(a) The car is hit by a rocket.
(b) Christopher's driver turns out to be a spy.
(c) The car runs out of gas.
(d) Christopher and the driver come upon the war zone.
11. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
(a) His father died in a boating accident.
(b) His father joined the circus.
(c) His father ran off with his mistress.
(d) His father shot himself in the head.
12. What is the date and location of Part VII?
(a) Novmeber 20, 1952, London.
(b) November 23, 1957, London.
(c) November 14, 1958, London.
(d) November 1, 1956, London.
13. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
(a) A spy for Yellow Snake.
(b) An Englishman.
(c) A Chinese spy.
14. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
(a) Kung is murdered in a bar fight.
(b) Kung becomes the most successful detective in all of Asia.
(c) Kung becomes a Buddhist monk.
(d) Kung becomes a drunk and an opium addict.
15. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) Uncle Philip shoots her.
(d) She runs away to the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
2. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
3. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
4. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
5. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)