|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
(a) Burn down his house.
(b) Take all his money.
(c) Have him arrested.
(d) Kill him.
2. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
(a) The sergeant.
(b) Inspector Kung.
(c) The lieutenant.
(d) No one.
3. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
(a) Christopher feels it intuitively.
(b) Christopher recognizes the house from his childhood.
(c) Christopher is told by a man in the street.
(d) Christopher finds a board on the ground bearing the blind man's name.
4. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
(a) Christopher's escort gets a call from his wife.
(b) Christopher's escort is attempting to sabotage Christopher.
(c) Christopher's escort has pressing business out of town.
(d) Christopher's escort believes Christopher will be safer alone because he is white.
5. What does Christopher find in the house?
(a) Nothing and no one.
(b) A dog and three human corpses.
(c) A fish and three human corpses.
(d) A cat and three human corpses.
6. How is the girl's Chinese?
(a) The girl cannot speak Chinese.
(d) Not good.
7. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
(a) Inspector Kung wishes to become Christopher's partner.
(b) Inspector Kung is going to rehab to deal with his opium addiction.
(c) Inspector Kung is leaving Shanghai for London in two days.
(d) Inspector Kung remembers that the house Christopher wishes to find is across the street from a blind man's house.
8. What makes it difficult to recognize Uncle Philip when Christopher reunites with him?
(a) Uncle Philip has put on weight over the years.
(b) Uncle Philip wears make-up to make him appear Chinese.
(c) Uncle Philip's eyes have been cut out.
(d) Uncle Philip now dresses in women's clothing.
9. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
(a) A Chinese spy.
(b) An Englishman.
(c) A spy for Yellow Snake.
10. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
(a) Christopher feels pessimistic.
(b) Christopher feels optimistic.
(c) Christopher feels ambivalent.
(d) Christopher feels cautious.
11. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) Sarah Hemmings.
(b) Colonel Chamberlain.
(c) Inspector Kung.
(d) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
12. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
(a) Kung remembers there was a maple tree in the front yard.
(b) Kung remembers the house burned down years ago.
(c) Kung remembers it was yellow.
(d) Kung fails to remember anything.
13. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(c) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
(d) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
14. Where does the girl urge Christopher to go?
(a) Into the house.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To the city center.
(d) To the police station.
15. How does Christopher's morning meeting with MacDonald go?
(a) The meeting goes swimmingly.
(b) Christopher detects a mysterious undertone to the meeting.
(c) Christopher mishandles the meeting.
(d) Christopher is very late for the meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
2. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
3. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
4. What does Sarah say is all part of what Shanghai's all about?
5. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)