|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She runs away to the United States.
(c) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(d) Uncle Philip shoots her.
2. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
(a) An actress.
(b) A waitress.
(c) A princess.
(d) A harlot.
3. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
(a) As though a vast black space had opened up behind him.
(b) As though he were about to ride an enormous rollercoaster.
(c) As though a gun had been put in his mouth.
(d) As though he were about to fall off a cliff.
4. Who turns out to be the senior intelligence man?
(b) Inspector Kung.
(c) Mr. Grayson.
(d) Mr. MacDonald.
5. What kind of music does the French pianist play?
(a) Chopin and Debussy.
(b) Bizet and Gershwin.
(c) Beethoven and Mozart.
(d) Bach and Stravinsky.
6. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
(a) The Lucky Chance Club.
(b) Christopher's old house.
(c) The city center.
7. Where does Sarah ask Christopher to go with her?
8. How old is Jennifer at the end of the book?
9. What does Christopher learn about his financial resources?
(a) Christopher's money has been coming from Inspector Kung.
(b) Christopher's money has been coming from his mother.
(c) Christopher's money has been coming from Uncle Philip.
(d) Christopher's money has been coming from Wang Ku.
10. How is Christopher greeted at the police station?
11. What are the date and location of Part V?
(a) September 23, 1931, Shanghai.
(b) September 29, 1937, Shanghai.
(c) September 20, 1937, Shanghai.
(d) September 29, 1931, Shanghai.
12. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
(b) The police are short on men.
(c) The police are working for the mob.
(d) The police do not trust Christopher.
13. How is the girl's Chinese?
(a) The girl cannot speak Chinese.
(d) Not good.
14. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
(a) The soldiers arrest Christopher.
(b) The soldiers beat Christopher up.
(c) The soldiers give Christopher a shot of whisky from a flask.
(d) The soldiers take Christopher to their camp and take care of him.
15. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
(a) Inspector Kung wishes to become Christopher's partner.
(b) Inspector Kung is going to rehab to deal with his opium addiction.
(c) Inspector Kung remembers that the house Christopher wishes to find is across the street from a blind man's house.
(d) Inspector Kung is leaving Shanghai for London in two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
2. How does Kung respond when Christopher identifies himself as a long time fan?
3. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
4. What makes it difficult to recognize Uncle Philip when Christopher reunites with him?
5. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)