|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
(a) Morgan is fighting back tears.
(b) Morgan is scattered.
(c) Morgan is urgent in a nonchalant way.
(d) Morgan is comfortable.
2. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
(a) Christopher's mother is catatonic.
(b) Christopher's mother has lost her mind and no longer recognizes him.
(c) Christopher's mother is happy and healthy living in Hong Kong.
(d) Chistopher's mother is furious with him for leaving her.
3. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
(a) The Yellow Snake Killings.
(b) The Wu Cheng Lou Shooting Incident.
(c) The Foon Chow Fat Poisoning.
(d) The Red Square Massacre.
4. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
(a) Someone has bombed the British Embassy.
(b) A Chinese warship is firing shells.
(c) A Japanese warship is firing shells.
(d) An American warship is firing shells.
5. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
(a) The police are working for the mob.
(b) The police do not trust Christopher.
(c) The police are afraid of the neighborhood.
(d) The police are short on men.
6. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
(a) Christopher says it is too late for him.
(b) Christopher says he has never been in love in his whole life.
(c) Christopher says he hopes to marry again.
(d) Christopher says he is a homosexual.
7. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
(a) A waitress.
(b) A harlot.
(c) An actress.
(d) A princess.
8. What are the date and location of Part V?
(a) September 23, 1931, Shanghai.
(b) September 29, 1931, Shanghai.
(c) September 20, 1937, Shanghai.
(d) September 29, 1937, Shanghai.
9. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
(a) Christopher feels ambivalent.
(b) Christopher feels cautious.
(c) Christopher feels optimistic.
(d) Christopher feels pessimistic.
10. What does Christopher learn about his financial resources?
(a) Christopher's money has been coming from his mother.
(b) Christopher's money has been coming from Wang Ku.
(c) Christopher's money has been coming from Uncle Philip.
(d) Christopher's money has been coming from Inspector Kung.
11. What are Christopher's thoughts about Sarah at the end of the book?
(a) Christopher is unconvinced Sarah found what she was looking for.
(b) Christopher believes Sarah always loved him.
(c) Christopher believes Sarah realized her dreams.
(d) Christopher believes Sarah became Wang Ku's concubine.
12. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
(a) Kung remembers the house burned down years ago.
(b) Kung fails to remember anything.
(c) Kung remembers there was a maple tree in the front yard.
(d) Kung remembers it was yellow.
13. Where does Christopher find Inspector Kung?
(a) In a heap on the side of Nanking Road.
(b) The Inn of Morning Happiness.
(c) The Lucky Chance Club.
(d) At Christopher's old house.
14. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
(a) Kung becomes a Buddhist monk.
(b) Kung becomes the most successful detective in all of Asia.
(c) Kung becomes a drunk and an opium addict.
(d) Kung is murdered in a bar fight.
15. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira faints.
(b) Akira screams.
(c) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
(d) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
2. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
3. Where does Sarah ask Christopher to go with her?
4. How does Christopher's morning meeting with MacDonald go?
5. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)