|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
(a) Christopher's mother has lost her mind and no longer recognizes him.
(b) Christopher's mother is catatonic.
(c) Chistopher's mother is furious with him for leaving her.
(d) Christopher's mother is happy and healthy living in Hong Kong.
2. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
(a) The soldiers beat Christopher up.
(b) The soldiers take Christopher to their camp and take care of him.
(c) The soldiers give Christopher a shot of whisky from a flask.
(d) The soldiers arrest Christopher.
3. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
(a) A phonograph store.
(b) The city center.
(c) Nanking Road.
(d) The Inn of Morning Happiness.
4. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
(a) His father shot himself in the head.
(b) His father died in a boating accident.
(c) His father ran off with his mistress.
(d) His father joined the circus.
5. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
(b) The Lucky Chance Club.
(c) Christopher's old house.
(d) The city center.
6. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
(a) The Black Bear Killings.
(b) The Green Lion Killings.
(c) The White Cobra Killings.
(d) The Yellow Snake Killings.
7. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
(a) No one.
(b) The lieutenant.
(c) The sergeant.
(d) Inspector Kung.
8. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
(a) Morgan is urgent in a nonchalant way.
(b) Morgan is comfortable.
(c) Morgan is fighting back tears.
(d) Morgan is scattered.
9. Under what circumstances would Sarah leave Shanghai?
(a) If someone comes to her rescue.
(b) If Christopher finds his parents.
(c) If the Japanes win the war.
(d) If Sir Cecil dies.
10. What is the date and location of Part VII?
(a) Novmeber 20, 1952, London.
(b) November 23, 1957, London.
(c) November 1, 1956, London.
(d) November 14, 1958, London.
11. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
(a) A dog that is hurt.
(b) A fish that is hurt.
(c) A bird that is hurt.
(d) A cat that is hurt.
12. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
(a) Burn down his house.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Take all his money.
(d) Have him arrested.
13. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
(a) Sir Cecil is high on opium.
(b) Sir Cecil is quite inebriated.
(c) Sir Cecil is very energetic.
(d) Sir Cecil is perfectly lucid.
14. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(b) Uncle Philip shoots her.
(c) She runs away to the United States.
(d) She commits suicide.
15. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
(a) As though a gun had been put in his mouth.
(b) As though he were about to fall off a cliff.
(c) As though he were about to ride an enormous rollercoaster.
(d) As though a vast black space had opened up behind him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
2. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
3. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
4. What do the Japanese soldiers tell Christopher about Akira?
5. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)