|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
(a) The South Furnace.
(b) The West Furnace.
(c) The East Furnace.
(d) The North Furnace.
2. Where does Christopher ask his driver to point him?
(a) A police station.
(b) A safehouse.
(c) A public house.
(d) A restaurant.
3. Where is Christopher told he may find Sir Cecil and Sarah?
(c) The Lucky Chance Club.
(d) Lun Chow Road.
4. Under what circumstances would Sarah leave Shanghai?
(a) If Christopher finds his parents.
(b) If someone comes to her rescue.
(c) If Sir Cecil dies.
(d) If the Japanes win the war.
5. What is the date and location of Part VII?
(a) Novmeber 20, 1952, London.
(b) November 23, 1957, London.
(c) November 14, 1958, London.
(d) November 1, 1956, London.
6. How many days is Christopher in town before Morgan telephones him?
7. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
(a) Inspector Kung is leaving Shanghai for London in two days.
(b) Inspector Kung wishes to become Christopher's partner.
(c) Inspector Kung is going to rehab to deal with his opium addiction.
(d) Inspector Kung remembers that the house Christopher wishes to find is across the street from a blind man's house.
8. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
(a) His father shot himself in the head.
(b) His father ran off with his mistress.
(c) His father died in a boating accident.
(d) His father joined the circus.
9. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
(a) The Red Square Massacre.
(b) The Wu Cheng Lou Shooting Incident.
(c) The Foon Chow Fat Poisoning.
(d) The Yellow Snake Killings.
10. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
(a) Christopher feels ambivalent.
(b) Christopher feels cautious.
(c) Christopher feels pessimistic.
(d) Christopher feels optimistic.
11. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
(a) Morgan is comfortable.
(b) Morgan is scattered.
(c) Morgan is fighting back tears.
(d) Morgan is urgent in a nonchalant way.
12. How old is Jennifer at the end of the book?
13. What are the date and location of Part IV?
(a) November 8, 1958 in London
(b) September 15, 1931 in Shanghai.
(c) September 1, 1931 in London.
(d) September 20, 1937 in Shanghai.
14. Where does Sarah ask Christopher to go with her?
15. What does Christopher find in the house?
(a) A dog and three human corpses.
(b) Nothing and no one.
(c) A fish and three human corpses.
(d) A cat and three human corpses.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
2. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
3. How is Christopher greeted at the police station?
4. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
5. Who comes out of the house in question?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)