|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
(a) Inspector Kung.
(b) The sergeant.
(c) No one.
(d) The lieutenant.
2. Who comes out of the house in question?
(a) A withered old man.
(b) Christopher's father.
(c) A beautiful young woman.
(d) A six-year-old girl.
3. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
(a) Christopher's mother is happy and healthy living in Hong Kong.
(b) Chistopher's mother is furious with him for leaving her.
(c) Christopher's mother has lost her mind and no longer recognizes him.
(d) Christopher's mother is catatonic.
4. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
(a) Christopher's escort remains calm and polite.
(b) Christopher's escort laughs heartily.
(c) Christopher's escort leaves coldly.
(d) Christopher's escort yells at Christopher.
5. What does Christopher find in the house?
(a) A fish and three human corpses.
(b) Nothing and no one.
(c) A cat and three human corpses.
(d) A dog and three human corpses.
6. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
(a) Kung is murdered in a bar fight.
(b) Kung becomes a drunk and an opium addict.
(c) Kung becomes the most successful detective in all of Asia.
(d) Kung becomes a Buddhist monk.
7. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
(a) The soldiers take Christopher to their camp and take care of him.
(b) The soldiers give Christopher a shot of whisky from a flask.
(c) The soldiers beat Christopher up.
(d) The soldiers arrest Christopher.
8. Under what circumstances would Sarah leave Shanghai?
(a) If someone comes to her rescue.
(b) If the Japanes win the war.
(c) If Sir Cecil dies.
(d) If Christopher finds his parents.
9. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
(b) Akira faints.
(c) Akira screams.
(d) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
10. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
(a) Colonel Chamberlain.
(b) Inspector Kung.
(c) Sarah Hemmings.
(d) The driver who takes Christopher to meet Sarah.
11. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
(a) The East Furnace.
(b) The South Furnace.
(c) The North Furnace.
(d) The West Furnace.
12. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
(a) The Yellow Snake Killings.
(b) The Foon Chow Fat Poisoning.
(c) The Wu Cheng Lou Shooting Incident.
(d) The Red Square Massacre.
13. What does Sarah say is all part of what Shanghai's all about?
(a) Smoking opium.
(b) Playing chess.
(c) Being low-life.
(d) Living the high life.
14. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
(a) Take all his money.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Have him arrested.
(d) Burn down his house.
15. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
(a) A bird that is hurt.
(b) A dog that is hurt.
(c) A cat that is hurt.
(d) A fish that is hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the date and location of Part VI?
2. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
3. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
4. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
5. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)