|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Christopher told he may find Sir Cecil and Sarah?
(b) Lun Chow Road.
(d) The Lucky Chance Club.
2. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
(b) An Englishman.
(c) A Chinese spy.
(d) A spy for Yellow Snake.
3. What does Christopher find in the house?
(a) A dog and three human corpses.
(b) A cat and three human corpses.
(c) A fish and three human corpses.
(d) Nothing and no one.
4. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
(a) Wang Ku takes her as his concubine.
(b) She runs away to the United States.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) Uncle Philip shoots her.
5. What are the date and location of Part V?
(a) September 20, 1937, Shanghai.
(b) September 29, 1931, Shanghai.
(c) September 29, 1937, Shanghai.
(d) September 23, 1931, Shanghai.
6. What does Sarah say is all part of what Shanghai's all about?
(a) Being low-life.
(b) Smoking opium.
(c) Living the high life.
(d) Playing chess.
7. What are the date and location of Part IV?
(a) September 1, 1931 in London.
(b) September 20, 1937 in Shanghai.
(c) November 8, 1958 in London
(d) September 15, 1931 in Shanghai.
8. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
(a) Inspector Kung is going to rehab to deal with his opium addiction.
(b) Inspector Kung is leaving Shanghai for London in two days.
(c) Inspector Kung remembers that the house Christopher wishes to find is across the street from a blind man's house.
(d) Inspector Kung wishes to become Christopher's partner.
9. How does Christopher's morning meeting with MacDonald go?
(a) Christopher is very late for the meeting.
(b) Christopher mishandles the meeting.
(c) The meeting goes swimmingly.
(d) Christopher detects a mysterious undertone to the meeting.
10. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
(a) The soldiers give Christopher a shot of whisky from a flask.
(b) The soldiers beat Christopher up.
(c) The soldiers arrest Christopher.
(d) The soldiers take Christopher to their camp and take care of him.
11. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
(a) Akira faints.
(b) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable giggles.
(c) Akira breaks into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.
(d) Akira screams.
12. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
(a) Someone has bombed the British Embassy.
(b) A Japanese warship is firing shells.
(c) A Chinese warship is firing shells.
(d) An American warship is firing shells.
13. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
(a) Christopher says he is a homosexual.
(b) Christopher says it is too late for him.
(c) Christopher says he hopes to marry again.
(d) Christopher says he has never been in love in his whole life.
14. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
(a) Take all his money.
(b) Have him arrested.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Burn down his house.
15. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
(a) Christopher's driver turns out to be a spy.
(b) Christopher and the driver come upon the war zone.
(c) The car is hit by a rocket.
(d) The car runs out of gas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes it difficult to recognize Uncle Philip when Christopher reunites with him?
2. How is Christopher greeted at the police station?
3. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
4. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
5. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)