|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
(a) Christopher does not speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding.
(b) After the service.
(c) Before the service.
(d) During the service.
2. Whom does Christopher glimpse while enjoying tea and scones at the Waldorf Hotel?
(a) His mother.
(c) Inspector Kung.
3. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
(a) Leave Shanghai immediately.
(b) Leave her husband.
(c) Get rid of the servants.
(d) Watch the New Year's parade.
4. What is Akira's reaction when he discovers a tear in his kimono?
(a) Akira weeps and rolls on the ground.
(b) Akira is afraid his mother and father will make him go back to Japan.
(c) Akira laughs and says it would be silly to get upset over a tear in a coat.
(d) Akira is glad because the kimono belongs to his sister.
5. What musical instrument does Uncle Philip encourage Christopher to go with him to see?
(a) A piano accordion.
(b) A flute.
(c) A violin.
(d) A piano.
6. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
(a) Sarah pleads with Christopher to take her to a dance.
(b) Sarah nods in recognition, but otherwise ignores Christopher.
(c) Sarah puts Christopher down in front of the whole room.
(d) Sarah greets Christopher warmly.
7. What does Uncle Philip do every time Christopher visits his office?
(a) Uncle Philip acts very "put-off" with Christopher.
(b) Uncle Philip gives Christopher a present.
(c) Uncle Philip allows Christopher to drink a little whisky.
(d) Uncle Philip takes Christopher out for ice cream.
8. On what terms do Christopher and Sarah leave after the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher and Sarah leave suspicious of one another.
(b) Christopher and Sarah leave quite angry with one another.
(c) Christopher and Sarah leave on friendly terms.
(d) Christopher and Sarah leave in love with one another.
9. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(b) Holding hands.
10. What is the name of the road whose side streets are so heavily trafficked?
(b) Kung Po.
(d) Wang Chu.
11. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
(a) Akira says he will got to Japan in four years.
(b) Akira says he will go to Japan in two years.
(c) Akira says he will go to Japan in one year.
(d) Akira says he will stay in Shanghai forever.
12. What does Christopher remember about the days immediately following his failure to take the lotion back to Ling Tien's room?
(a) Christopher remembers being concerned about Akira.
(b) Christopher remembers being concerned for his father.
(c) Christopher remembers being concerned for his mother.
(d) Christopher does not remember anything of those days.
13. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
14. What nickname do the Banks and Uncle Philip call Christopher?
15. What delightful news does Mei Li deliver to Christopher at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Banks family will return to England.
(b) She has purchased Christopher a pony.
(c) Christopher has been selected for a prestigious honor at school.
(d) Akira has returned from Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
2. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
3. Who owns Christopher's family's house in Shanghai?
4. How long does it take Christopher to unravel the mystery of Charles Emory's death?
5. What kind of establishment is the Dorchester?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)