|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon his return, how does Akira respond to Christopher's questions about his experiences in Japan?
(a) Akira persuades Christopher it would be childish to discuss such matters.
(b) Akira recounts a bitter tale of his alienation from the boys in the Nagasaki school.
(c) Akira is silent.
(d) Akira goes on and on with his many stories until Christopher is quite bored.
2. Where are Mr. Banks and Christopher when Mr. Banks brings up the time Christopher and his mother "burst in" on him?
(a) Their backyard.
(b) Downtown Shanghai.
(c) Mr. Banks's study.
(d) The Public Gardens.
3. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
(a) Christopher start smoking opium.
(b) Christopher will turn into a Chinaman.
(c) Christopher will forget how to speak English.
(d) Christopher will be abducted himself.
4. What areas of Shanghai is young Christopher forbidden to enter?
(a) The American areas.
(b) The English areas.
(c) The Chinese areas.
(d) The Japanese areas.
5. How long does it take Christopher to unravel the mystery of Charles Emory's death?
(a) Many weeks.
(b) No more than a few days.
(c) Over two years.
(d) Twenty four hours.
6. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
(a) Uncle Philip had just gotten a hair cut.
(b) Uncle Phillip seemed not to be on Christopher's family's side.
(c) Uncle Philip had a big wad of money.
(d) Uncle Philip seemed to be preoccupied.
7. Whom does Christopher discover waiting for him when he arrives outside the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(b) Charles Emory.
8. What is the Banks' "library" like?
(a) An anteroom with walls lined with books.
(b) A nook in the kitchen housing a shelf of classic works.
(c) A small, dark room in the basement with a few encyclopedia volumes.
(d) The largest room in the house with miles and miles of books.
9. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
(a) Turning severed hands into spiders.
(b) Selling children into slavery.
(c) Playing cricket.
(d) Luring children into his room and turning them into monkies.
10. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks how Sir Cecil met Sarah.
(b) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil would like a drink from his flask.
(c) Christopher asks if Sir Cecil would like his assistance in solving the mystery of his disappearing cigar box.
(d) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil happened to meet Akira.
11. When his mother stops laughing suddenly outside his father's study, what is Christopher's first thought?
(a) That his mother is about to surprise him.
(b) That his mother is having a stroke.
(c) That his mother is about to yell at his father.
(d) That he is about to be scolded.
12. On what terms do Christopher and Sarah leave after the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher and Sarah leave in love with one another.
(b) Christopher and Sarah leave suspicious of one another.
(c) Christopher and Sarah leave on friendly terms.
(d) Christopher and Sarah leave quite angry with one another.
13. How does Mei Li regard Christopher's education?
(a) As a triffling matter.
(b) As a completely irrelevant matter.
(c) As a pain in the neck.
(d) As a matter of solemn importance.
14. Where does Christopher keep his newspaper photograph of Wang Ku?
(a) In his scrapbook.
(b) In his wallet.
(c) In his icebox.
(d) In a cigar box.
15. According to Osbourne, Christopher always used to quiz him about what?
(a) Osbourne's being "well-connected."
(b) Osbourne's diet.
(c) Osbourne's study regimen.
(d) Osbourne's romantic conquests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
2. What is the tone of Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
3. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
5. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)