|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname do the Banks and Uncle Philip call Christopher?
2. What is the first question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks if he has spent any time recently in Shanghai.
(b) Christopher asks him if he has a drink.
(c) Christopher asks him if he has any crimes that need to be solved.
(d) Christopher asks him if he knows Sarah Hemmings.
3. Why does Christopher tell Colonel Chamberlain that he doesn't think it will be necessary for him to go to England?
(a) Christopher tells Chamberlain he can get on in Shanghai by himself.
(b) Christopher tells Chamberlain his parents will return from a trip very soon.
(c) Christopher tells Chamberlain he is a detective and will solve the mystery of his parents' disappearance.
(d) Christopher tells Chamberlain the very best detectives are working on the case of his parents' disappearance.
4. How does Christopher feel about Uncle Philip?
(a) Christopher is irritated by him.
(b) Christopher is quite fond of him.
(c) Christopher is secretly in love with him.
(d) Christopher is afraid of him.
5. Years later what does Christopher recognize about the plump-faced man?
(a) The cigar he smokes.
(b) His face.
(c) His cap, gown and pigtail.
(d) His smile.
6. What is Lady Beaton's first reaction to Christopher's proposal that he adopt Jennifer?
(a) Lady Beaton immediately says yes.
(b) Lady Beaton laughs out loud.
(c) Lady Beaton immediately leaves Christopher's presence.
(d) Lady Beaton recoils with suspicion.
7. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(c) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
(d) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
8. What kind of lawn did Christopher's family have in their garden in Shanghai?
(a) A simple "Japanese" lawn.
(b) A carefully tended "English" lawn.
(c) An ornate "Chinese" lawn.
(d) A sprawling "French" lawn.
9. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
(a) Christopher suspects Akira failed to apply himself to his studies.
(b) Christopher suspects Akira was unable to learn Japanese.
(c) Christopher suspects Akira made many friends and was sad to leave.
(d) Christopher suspects Akira was mercilessly ostracised for his "foreignness."
10. What game do Christopher and Akira invent?
(a) An army game where Christopher and Akira attack America.
(b) A detective game where Christopher and Akira rescue Mr. Banks.
(c) A magic game where Christopher and Akira cast spells on Ling Tien.
(d) A spy game where Christopher and Akira hunt down druglords.
11. How does Christopher remember Uncle Philip's office?
(a) Christopher remembers it to be very large.
(b) Christopher remembers it to be very small.
(c) Christopher remembers it to be very ramshakle.
(d) Christopher remembers it to be very tidy.
12. What kind of establishment is the Dorchester?
(a) A modest inn.
(b) A quaint tea room.
(c) A public house.
(d) A very fancy restaurant.
13. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
(a) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with pity.
(b) The plump-faced man captures Christopher's rapt attention.
(c) The plump-faced man does not much excite Christopher's interest.
(d) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with fear.
14. Where are Mr. Banks and Christopher when Mr. Banks brings up the time Christopher and his mother "burst in" on him?
(a) The Public Gardens.
(b) Their backyard.
(c) Mr. Banks's study.
(d) Downtown Shanghai.
15. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
(a) A lively party.
(b) A secret meeting on the opium trade.
(c) A bitter quarrel between his parents.
(d) A band of thieves breaking into the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Christopher discover waiting for him when he arrives outside the Meredith Foundation dinner?
2. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
3. How does remembering the end of his relationship with Uncle Philip make Christopher feel?
4. On what terms do Christopher and Sarah leave after the Meredith Foundation dinner?
5. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)