|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Christopher's response to Sarah's proposal that he take her to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher says he has not been invited himself.
(b) Christopher accepts.
(c) Christopher says he must think about it.
(d) Christopher declines.
2. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
(a) Christopher's mother.
(b) Christopher's father.
(d) Uncle Philip.
3. What is the tone of Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Arrogant and boisterous.
(b) Sullen and pessimistic.
(c) Self-deprecating and optimistic.
(d) Diffident and high-minded.
4. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
(c) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
(d) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
5. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
(a) Christopher does not speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding.
(b) Before the service.
(c) During the service.
(d) After the service.
6. Where does Christopher keep his newspaper photograph of Wang Ku?
(a) In a cigar box.
(b) In his wallet.
(c) In his scrapbook.
(d) In his icebox.
7. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
(a) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with pity.
(b) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with fear.
(c) The plump-faced man does not much excite Christopher's interest.
(d) The plump-faced man captures Christopher's rapt attention.
8. How do Akira and Christopher dress when they play outside?
(a) Short pants and jackets, and on hotter days, a sunhat.
(b) Traditional Chinese clothing.
(c) Shirts, shorts and on hotter days, a sunhat.
(d) Pants, shirts and baseball caps.
9. What delightful news does Mei Li deliver to Christopher at the end of the chapter?
(a) Akira has returned from Japan.
(b) She has purchased Christopher a pony.
(c) The Banks family will return to England.
(d) Christopher has been selected for a prestigious honor at school.
10. What prevents Christopher from developing the level of intimacy with his English school friends that he developed with Akira?
(a) Christopher finds the English boys entirely unappealing.
(b) The English boys refuse to speak to Christopher.
(c) Christopher is taken out of English school.
(d) The English boys make Christopher the butt of their jokes.
11. In what year does Christopher hear of Jennifer?
12. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
13. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
(a) Uncle Philip had just gotten a hair cut.
(b) Uncle Phillip seemed not to be on Christopher's family's side.
(c) Uncle Philip seemed to be preoccupied.
(d) Uncle Philip had a big wad of money.
14. What does Mrs. Banks tell Christopher to reassure him?
(a) British Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
(b) Christopher's father knows how to handle himself.
(c) The city's very best detectives are working on the case.
(d) Chinese Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
15. What becomes of Ling Tien's bottle of lotion?
(a) Akira burns it in the fireplace.
(b) Akira buries it in his backyard.
(c) Akira's sister returns it.
(d) Akira's mother finds it and scolds him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christopher become irritated with Chamberlain at the Dorchester?
2. When Christopher comes to London from Cambridge he takes a flat in what neighborhood?
3. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
4. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
5. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)