|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
(a) Akira says he will got to Japan in four years.
(b) Akira says he will go to Japan in one year.
(c) Akira says he will stay in Shanghai forever.
(d) Akira says he will go to Japan in two years.
2. What does Sarah say to Christopher about the Foundation dinner?
(a) Sarah says it has been a dull evening.
(b) Sarah says it has been an embarrassing evening.
(c) Sarah says it has been a marvelous evening.
(d) Sarah says it has been a passable evening.
3. What kind of lawn did Christopher's family have in their garden in Shanghai?
(a) A simple "Japanese" lawn.
(b) A carefully tended "English" lawn.
(c) An ornate "Chinese" lawn.
(d) A sprawling "French" lawn.
4. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
5. Years later what does Christopher recognize about the plump-faced man?
(a) The cigar he smokes.
(b) His face.
(c) His smile.
(d) His cap, gown and pigtail.
6. What is Christopher's initial explanation for Akira's reverence for Mrs. Banks?
(a) She has a powerful temper.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She is strong.
(d) She knows a secret about Akira.
7. In chapter one Christopher remembers coming from Cambridge to London in the summer of which year?
8. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) The billiard room.
(b) A fashionable club across the street.
(c) The parlor.
(d) The ballroom.
9. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
(a) Dark and dangerous.
(b) Light and breezy.
(c) Dull and cold.
(d) Sullen and pious.
10. What does the event Osbourne takes Christopher to turn out to be?
(a) A major disappointment.
(b) A secret meeting.
(c) An enchanting evening.
(d) A trap.
11. What is the Banks' "library" like?
(a) A small, dark room in the basement with a few encyclopedia volumes.
(b) An anteroom with walls lined with books.
(c) The largest room in the house with miles and miles of books.
(d) A nook in the kitchen housing a shelf of classic works.
12. What is Colonel Chamberlain's relationship to Christopher?
(a) The Colonel is Christopher's uncle.
(b) The Colonel is Christopher's second cousin.
(c) The Colonel takes Christopher from Shanghai to England after his parents' abductions.
(d) The Colonel becomes Christopher's guardian when he comes to London.
13. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
(a) Christopher's mother tells Christopher he must first put on proper shoes and a jacket.
(b) Christopher's mother tells Christopher to be proud of his father.
(c) Christopher's mother tells Christopher he may not go into town.
(d) Christopher's mother proposes that Christopher take Akira with him.
14. What delightful news does Mei Li deliver to Christopher at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Banks family will return to England.
(b) She has purchased Christopher a pony.
(c) Akira has returned from Japan.
(d) Christopher has been selected for a prestigious honor at school.
15. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
(b) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
(c) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(d) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of publishing does Osbourne say he is thinking of going into?
2. What is Akira's reaction when he discovers a tear in his kimono?
3. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
4. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
5. What are the circumstances of Akira and Christopher's entry into Ling Tien's room?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)