|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
(a) Akira's overblown appreciation of his personal virtues.
(b) Akira's preoccupation with his bodily functions.
(c) Akira's tendency to disappear for long periods of time.
(d) Akira's incessant harping on the achievements of the Japanese.
2. How does Christopher describe the atmosphere at breakfast on the days of the campaign meetings.
3. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
(a) Akira says he will go to Japan in two years.
(b) Akira says he will got to Japan in four years.
(c) Akira says he will go to Japan in one year.
(d) Akira says he will stay in Shanghai forever.
4. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The billiard room.
(c) A fashionable club across the street.
(d) The ballroom.
5. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
(b) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(c) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
(d) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
6. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
(a) Sarah pleads with Christopher to take her to a dance.
(b) Sarah nods in recognition, but otherwise ignores Christopher.
(c) Sarah puts Christopher down in front of the whole room.
(d) Sarah greets Christopher warmly.
7. How long does it take Christopher to unravel the mystery of Charles Emory's death?
(a) Over two years.
(b) Many weeks.
(c) No more than a few days.
(d) Twenty four hours.
8. How does Osbourne offend Christopher?
(a) Osbourne calls Christopher's mother a "loose woman."
(b) Osbourne insults Christopher's cooking.
(c) Osbourne claims Christopher was "such an odd bird in school."
(d) Osbourne breaks Christopher's china.
9. What is Akira's reaction when he discovers a tear in his kimono?
(a) Akira laughs and says it would be silly to get upset over a tear in a coat.
(b) Akira is glad because the kimono belongs to his sister.
(c) Akira is afraid his mother and father will make him go back to Japan.
(d) Akira weeps and rolls on the ground.
10. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil happened to meet Akira.
(b) Christopher asks if Sir Cecil would like his assistance in solving the mystery of his disappearing cigar box.
(c) Christopher asks how Sir Cecil met Sarah.
(d) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil would like a drink from his flask.
11. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
(b) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
(c) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
(d) Go to Akira's house.
12. How does old Christopher recognize Wang Ku in the photograph?
(a) Wang Ku solicited Christopher's assistance as a detective.
(b) Wang Ku paid a visit to Christopher's mother in Shanghai.
(c) Wang Ku was a frequent visitor at Akira's home in Shanghai.
(d) Wang Ku was a household name when he was growing up in Shanghai.
13. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
14. What happens to Christopher's father the day after the lotion theft?
(a) Christopher's father is fired from Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) Christopher's father disappears.
(c) Christopher's father is hit by a car.
(d) Christopher's father falls off a horse.
15. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
(a) Inspector Kung.
(b) James Osbourne.
(c) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(d) Sarah Hemmings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
2. What does Christopher conclude happened to Charles Emory?
3. Why does Jennifer grope around the drawing room?
4. What does the event Osbourne takes Christopher to turn out to be?
5. Where does Uncle Philip suggest he, Mrs. Banks and Christopher go after the Saturday meeting?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)