Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
(b) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
(c) Go to Akira's house.
(d) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
2. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
(a) Selling children into slavery.
(b) Turning severed hands into spiders.
(c) Playing cricket.
(d) Luring children into his room and turning them into monkies.
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
(a) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(b) James Osbourne.
(c) Inspector Kung.
(d) Sarah Hemmings.
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
(a) Colonel Chamberlain.
(b) James Osbourne.
(c) Sarah Hemmings.
(d) Joe Turner.
5. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) On the subway.
(b) On the curb waiting for a cab.
(c) On one of the balconies of the ballroom.
(d) In the kitchen.
6. What is the tone of Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Arrogant and boisterous.
(b) Sullen and pessimistic.
(c) Diffident and high-minded.
(d) Self-deprecating and optimistic.
7. How does Mei Li regard Christopher's education?
(a) As a matter of solemn importance.
(b) As a pain in the neck.
(c) As a triffling matter.
(d) As a completely irrelevant matter.
8. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
(a) They play football together.
(b) They are old school friends.
(c) They are cricket teammates.
(d) They belong to the same club.
9. How does Christopher feel about Uncle Philip?
(a) Christopher is secretly in love with him.
(b) Christopher is afraid of him.
(c) Christopher is quite fond of him.
(d) Christopher is irritated by him.
10. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
11. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
(a) Christopher suspects Akira failed to apply himself to his studies.
(b) Christopher suspects Akira was unable to learn Japanese.
(c) Christopher suspects Akira was mercilessly ostracised for his "foreignness."
(d) Christopher suspects Akira made many friends and was sad to leave.
12. What does Uncle Philip do every time Christopher visits his office?
(a) Uncle Philip acts very "put-off" with Christopher.
(b) Uncle Philip allows Christopher to drink a little whisky.
(c) Uncle Philip gives Christopher a present.
(d) Uncle Philip takes Christopher out for ice cream.
13. What is the first question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks him if he has a drink.
(b) Christopher asks if he has spent any time recently in Shanghai.
(c) Christopher asks him if he knows Sarah Hemmings.
(d) Christopher asks him if he has any crimes that need to be solved.
14. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
15. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
(a) Akira's tendency to disappear for long periods of time.
(b) Akira's overblown appreciation of his personal virtues.
(c) Akira's preoccupation with his bodily functions.
(d) Akira's incessant harping on the achievements of the Japanese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
2. Where is Akira and Christopher's "special spot?"
3. How does remembering the end of his relationship with Uncle Philip make Christopher feel?
4. What is Christopher's memory of Akira's house?
5. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)