|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Mr. Banks and Christopher when Mr. Banks brings up the time Christopher and his mother "burst in" on him?
(a) The Public Gardens.
(b) Their backyard.
(c) Mr. Banks's study.
(d) Downtown Shanghai.
2. What delightful news does Mei Li deliver to Christopher at the end of the chapter?
(a) Akira has returned from Japan.
(b) The Banks family will return to England.
(c) She has purchased Christopher a pony.
(d) Christopher has been selected for a prestigious honor at school.
3. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
(a) They play football together.
(b) They are cricket teammates.
(c) They belong to the same club.
(d) They are old school friends.
4. What is Uncle Philip's relationship to the Banks?
(a) Philip is a close family friend, not a real uncle to any of them.
(b) Philip is Mrs. Banks brother.
(c) Philip is Mrs. Banks uncle.
(d) Philip is Mr. Banks brother.
5. How many days pass before Christopher sees Akira on Etsuko's bicycle?
(a) Five or six days.
(b) Three or four days.
(c) Two or three days.
(d) One or two days.
6. What does Mrs. Banks tell Christopher to reassure him?
(a) British Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
(b) The city's very best detectives are working on the case.
(c) Chinese Intelligence knows where Christopher's father is.
(d) Christopher's father knows how to handle himself.
7. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
(a) Christopher start smoking opium.
(b) Christopher will turn into a Chinaman.
(c) Christopher will be abducted himself.
(d) Christopher will forget how to speak English.
8. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
(a) The story makes Christopher afraid of Akira.
(b) Christopher is upset by the story.
(c) Christopher is highly pleased by the story.
(d) The story inspires Christopher to dabble in magic.
9. What game do Christopher and Akira invent?
(a) A magic game where Christopher and Akira cast spells on Ling Tien.
(b) A spy game where Christopher and Akira hunt down druglords.
(c) An army game where Christopher and Akira attack America.
(d) A detective game where Christopher and Akira rescue Mr. Banks.
10. What are the circumstances of Akira and Christopher's entry into Ling Tien's room?
(a) Ling Tien goes away to his home village and Akira and Christopher sneak in.
(b) Ling Tien invites Akira and Christopher in for tea.
(c) Akira and Christopher sneak in while Ling Tien is at daily prayers.
(d) Akira and Christopher enter quietly while Ling Tien is asleep.
11. Where is Mr. Banks's study?
(a) On the uppermost floor of the house.
(b) In London.
(c) Next door to Uncle Philip's office.
(d) At the British consulate.
12. When his mother stops laughing suddenly outside his father's study, what is Christopher's first thought?
(a) That his mother is about to yell at his father.
(b) That his mother is having a stroke.
(c) That he is about to be scolded.
(d) That his mother is about to surprise him.
13. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
(a) Akira's preoccupation with his bodily functions.
(b) Akira's tendency to disappear for long periods of time.
(c) Akira's incessant harping on the achievements of the Japanese.
(d) Akira's overblown appreciation of his personal virtues.
14. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(c) Holding hands.
15. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil happened to meet Akira.
(b) Christopher asks how Sir Cecil met Sarah.
(c) Christopher asks if Sir Cecil would like his assistance in solving the mystery of his disappearing cigar box.
(d) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil would like a drink from his flask.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
2. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
3. How does old Christopher remember Colonel Chamberlain?
4. What does the silver-haired man offer Christopher?
5. How does remembering the end of his relationship with Uncle Philip make Christopher feel?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)