|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
2. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
3. How does Akira feel about Ling Tien?
(a) Akira is deeply afraid of Ling Tien.
(b) Akira finds Ling Tien amusing.
(c) Akira thinks of him as a father.
(d) Akira regards him as an object of ridicule.
4. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
(c) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
(d) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
5. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
(a) Turning severed hands into spiders.
(b) Playing cricket.
(c) Luring children into his room and turning them into monkies.
(d) Selling children into slavery.
6. What does Christopher's mother call the plump-faced man?
(a) The ugliest man she has ever seen.
(b) A fine man.
(c) An agent of the devil.
(d) A very charming man.
7. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
8. How many days pass before Christopher sees Akira on Etsuko's bicycle?
(a) Three or four days.
(b) Two or three days.
(c) One or two days.
(d) Five or six days.
9. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
(b) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(c) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
(d) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
10. When Christopher comes to London from Cambridge he takes a flat in what neighborhood?
(b) Knotting Hill.
(d) Hyde Park.
11. What is the name of the road whose side streets are so heavily trafficked?
(c) Wang Chu.
(d) Kung Po.
12. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(b) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
(c) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
(d) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
13. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) A fashionable club across the street.
(b) The ballroom.
(c) The billiard room.
(d) The parlor.
14. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) On the subway.
(c) On the curb waiting for a cab.
(d) On one of the balconies of the ballroom.
15. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) On foot.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) In a motorcar.
(d) On bicycles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Christopher's father the day after the lotion theft?
2. Where is Mr. Banks's study?
3. After leading Christopher in the crowded city center, what does Uncle Philip do?
4. What becomes of Ling Tien's bottle of lotion?
5. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)