|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
(a) Dull and cold.
(b) Light and breezy.
(c) Sullen and pious.
(d) Dark and dangerous.
2. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
(a) A bitter quarrel between his parents.
(b) A secret meeting on the opium trade.
(c) A lively party.
(d) A band of thieves breaking into the house.
3. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(b) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
(c) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
(d) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
4. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
(a) Before the service.
(b) Christopher does not speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding.
(c) During the service.
(d) After the service.
5. What happens to Christopher's father the day after the lotion theft?
(a) Christopher's father is fired from Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) Christopher's father is hit by a car.
(c) Christopher's father falls off a horse.
(d) Christopher's father disappears.
6. What is Christopher's response to Sarah's proposal that he take her to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher declines.
(b) Christopher accepts.
(c) Christopher says he has not been invited himself.
(d) Christopher says he must think about it.
7. What kind of publishing does Osbourne say he is thinking of going into?
8. How does old Christopher remember Colonel Chamberlain?
9. As a child what is Christopher's feeling about his ambition to become a great detective?
(a) He feels it is something he ought to keep to himself.
(b) He feels he must tell absolutely everyone.
(c) He feels deeply ashamed of his ambition.
(d) He feels like he may give it up to become a fireman.
10. What is Akira's reaction when he discovers a tear in his kimono?
(a) Akira laughs and says it would be silly to get upset over a tear in a coat.
(b) Akira is glad because the kimono belongs to his sister.
(c) Akira is afraid his mother and father will make him go back to Japan.
(d) Akira weeps and rolls on the ground.
11. What musical instrument does Uncle Philip encourage Christopher to go with him to see?
(a) A piano.
(b) A piano accordion.
(c) A violin.
(d) A flute.
12. Who does Uncle Philip say "is about as English as they come?"
(a) Philip himself.
(b) Christopher's father.
(d) Christopher's mother.
13. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
14. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(b) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
(c) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
(d) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
15. Who owns Christopher's family's house in Shanghai?
(a) Inspector Kung.
(c) Christopher's parents.
(d) Morganbrook and Byatt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Banks tell Christopher to reassure him?
2. What does Sarah say to Christopher about the Foundation dinner?
3. Where are Mr. Banks and Christopher when Mr. Banks brings up the time Christopher and his mother "burst in" on him?
4. Where is Mr. Banks's study?
5. How does Osbourne offend Christopher?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)