|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
(a) They play football together.
(b) They are cricket teammates.
(c) They are old school friends.
(d) They belong to the same club.
2. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
(a) Sarah Hemmings.
(b) James Osbourne.
(c) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(d) Inspector Kung.
4. What is the shape of Christopher's London home in Part III?
(a) Tall and narrow.
(b) Tall and wide.
(c) Cozy and dark.
(d) Short and wide.
5. What does the event Osbourne takes Christopher to turn out to be?
(a) A secret meeting.
(b) A major disappointment.
(c) An enchanting evening.
(d) A trap.
6. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
(a) The story makes Christopher afraid of Akira.
(b) The story inspires Christopher to dabble in magic.
(c) Christopher is upset by the story.
(d) Christopher is highly pleased by the story.
7. Where does Christopher unexpectedly reunite with Colonel Chamberlain?
(a) At the Lucky Chance Club.
(b) In a crowded square in Shanghai.
(c) In a bookshop on Charing Cross Road.
(d) In the Palm Court of the Waldorf.
8. How long does it take Christopher to unravel the mystery of Charles Emory's death?
(a) No more than a few days.
(b) Many weeks.
(c) Twenty four hours.
(d) Over two years.
9. What does Christopher conclude happened to Charles Emory?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He was murdered.
(c) He has lost his way.
(d) He accidentally fell and broke his neck.
10. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
(a) During the service.
(b) Christopher does not speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding.
(c) Before the service.
(d) After the service.
11. How does Mei Li regard Christopher's education?
(a) As a matter of solemn importance.
(b) As a pain in the neck.
(c) As a triffling matter.
(d) As a completely irrelevant matter.
12. Whom does Christopher discover waiting for him when he arrives outside the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(d) Charles Emory.
13. How does Mrs. Banks respond to the health inspector's suggestion?
(a) Mrs. Banks says she will consider the suggestion.
(b) Mrs. Banks quietly agrees.
(c) Mrs. Banks breaks into a tirade.
(d) Mrs. Banks says nothing and walks away.
14. What areas of Shanghai is young Christopher forbidden to enter?
(a) The English areas.
(b) The American areas.
(c) The Japanese areas.
(d) The Chinese areas.
15. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
(b) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(c) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
(d) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
Short Answer Questions
1. When Christopher comes to London from Cambridge he takes a flat in what neighborhood?
2. Why does Christopher become irritated with Chamberlain at the Dorchester?
3. What is Colonel Chamberlain's relationship to Christopher?
4. Where is Mr. Banks's study?
5. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)