|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jennifer just barely avoid knocking over?
(a) The coffee table.
(b) A lamp.
(c) The display cabinet.
(d) A flower pot.
2. How does Christoper want Uncle Philip to help him become "more English?"
(a) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to allow him to copy his behavior sometimes.
(b) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to introduce him to some fine English "specimens."
(c) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to take him on a trip to England.
(d) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to give him weekly lessons in "Englishness."
3. Whom does Christopher discover waiting for him when he arrives outside the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(b) Charles Emory.
4. What kind of tree rises out of the mound in Christopher's garden in Shanghai?
(a) A bonzai tree.
(b) A pine tree.
(c) An oak tree.
(d) A maple tree.
5. According to Osbourne, Christopher always used to quiz him about what?
(a) Osbourne's being "well-connected."
(b) Osbourne's study regimen.
(c) Osbourne's romantic conquests.
(d) Osbourne's diet.
6. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
(a) Uncle Philip.
(b) Christopher's father.
(d) Christopher's mother.
7. What delightful news does Mei Li deliver to Christopher at the end of the chapter?
(a) She has purchased Christopher a pony.
(b) The Banks family will return to England.
(c) Christopher has been selected for a prestigious honor at school.
(d) Akira has returned from Japan.
8. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
(a) Luring children into his room and turning them into monkies.
(b) Playing cricket.
(c) Selling children into slavery.
(d) Turning severed hands into spiders.
9. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The billiard room.
(c) A fashionable club across the street.
(d) The ballroom.
10. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
(a) Old chap.
11. What is the shape of Christopher's London home in Part III?
(a) Short and wide.
(b) Tall and narrow.
(c) Tall and wide.
(d) Cozy and dark.
12. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) On foot.
(b) On bicycles.
(c) In a motorcar.
(d) In a carriage.
13. As a child what is Christopher's feeling about his ambition to become a great detective?
(a) He feels he must tell absolutely everyone.
(b) He feels it is something he ought to keep to himself.
(c) He feels like he may give it up to become a fireman.
(d) He feels deeply ashamed of his ambition.
14. How does Akira feel about Ling Tien?
(a) Akira finds Ling Tien amusing.
(b) Akira regards him as an object of ridicule.
(c) Akira thinks of him as a father.
(d) Akira is deeply afraid of Ling Tien.
15. In what year does Christopher hear of Jennifer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the road whose side streets are so heavily trafficked?
2. What does Christopher remember about the days immediately following his failure to take the lotion back to Ling Tien's room?
3. Why does Christopher become irritated with Chamberlain at the Dorchester?
4. What nickname do the Banks and Uncle Philip call Christopher?
5. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)