|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Colonel Chamberlain's relationship to Christopher?
(a) The Colonel is Christopher's second cousin.
(b) The Colonel is Christopher's uncle.
(c) The Colonel becomes Christopher's guardian when he comes to London.
(d) The Colonel takes Christopher from Shanghai to England after his parents' abductions.
2. What kind of establishment is the Dorchester?
(a) A public house.
(b) A quaint tea room.
(c) A very fancy restaurant.
(d) A modest inn.
3. What is Christopher's response to Sarah's proposal that he take her to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher says he has not been invited himself.
(b) Christopher declines.
(c) Christopher accepts.
(d) Christopher says he must think about it.
4. What areas of Shanghai is young Christopher forbidden to enter?
(a) The Japanese areas.
(b) The American areas.
(c) The Chinese areas.
(d) The English areas.
5. Where does Akira go at the end of the summer?
(a) Akira goes to a Chinese concentration camp.
(b) Akira goes to London.
(c) Akira vanishes, and Christopher never learns where he goes.
(d) Akira goes to school in Japan.
6. What becomes of Ling Tien's bottle of lotion?
(a) Akira's mother finds it and scolds him.
(b) Akira's sister returns it.
(c) Akira buries it in his backyard.
(d) Akira burns it in the fireplace.
7. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
(a) The plump-faced man captures Christopher's rapt attention.
(b) The plump-faced man does not much excite Christopher's interest.
(c) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with pity.
(d) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with fear.
8. What is Christopher's memory of Akira's house?
(a) Christopher remembers it to be exactly the opposite of his family's.
(b) Christopher remembers it to be very similar to his family's from an architectural standpoint.
(c) Christopher remembers that Akira's house was very dilapidated.
(d) Strangely, Christopher has no recollection of his best friend's house.
9. How does Christoper want Uncle Philip to help him become "more English?"
(a) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to allow him to copy his behavior sometimes.
(b) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to give him weekly lessons in "Englishness."
(c) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to introduce him to some fine English "specimens."
(d) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to take him on a trip to England.
10. What is the time and place of Part II?
(a) London, 8th November 1937.
(b) Shanghai, 8th November 1912.
(c) Shanghai, 15th May 1931.
(d) London, 15th May 1931.
11. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(c) Holding hands.
12. What kind of publishing does Osbourne say he is thinking of going into?
13. What does Christopher discover when he returns home?
(a) Christopher discovers his father has returned home.
(b) Christopher discovers his mother has been abducted.
(c) Christopher discovers Akira waiting for him.
(d) Christopher discover his house has been burned to the ground.
14. What does Christopher conclude happened to Charles Emory?
(a) He has lost his way.
(b) He accidentally fell and broke his neck.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He ran away.
15. How does Christopher feel about Uncle Philip?
(a) Christopher is quite fond of him.
(b) Christopher is afraid of him.
(c) Christopher is secretly in love with him.
(d) Christopher is irritated by him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Sir Cecil's speech?
2. How many days pass before Christopher sees Akira on Etsuko's bicycle?
3. How does Sarah get into the Foundation dinner without an invitation?
4. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
5. When Christopher comes to London from Cambridge he takes a flat in what neighborhood?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)