|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game do Christopher and Akira invent?
(a) A detective game where Christopher and Akira rescue Mr. Banks.
(b) An army game where Christopher and Akira attack America.
(c) A spy game where Christopher and Akira hunt down druglords.
(d) A magic game where Christopher and Akira cast spells on Ling Tien.
2. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
(a) Christopher suspects Akira failed to apply himself to his studies.
(b) Christopher suspects Akira was mercilessly ostracised for his "foreignness."
(c) Christopher suspects Akira was unable to learn Japanese.
(d) Christopher suspects Akira made many friends and was sad to leave.
3. What does Uncle Philip do every time Christopher visits his office?
(a) Uncle Philip takes Christopher out for ice cream.
(b) Uncle Philip allows Christopher to drink a little whisky.
(c) Uncle Philip gives Christopher a present.
(d) Uncle Philip acts very "put-off" with Christopher.
4. What areas of Shanghai is young Christopher forbidden to enter?
(a) The English areas.
(b) The Japanese areas.
(c) The Chinese areas.
(d) The American areas.
5. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
(b) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
(c) Go to Akira's house.
(d) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
6. Whom does Christopher glimpse while enjoying tea and scones at the Waldorf Hotel?
(b) His mother.
(c) Inspector Kung.
7. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) On the curb waiting for a cab.
(b) On one of the balconies of the ballroom.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) On the subway.
8. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
(b) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
(c) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(d) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
9. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) On bicycles.
(b) On foot.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) In a motorcar.
10. How does Christopher describe the atmosphere at breakfast on the days of the campaign meetings.
11. How does Mrs. Banks respond to the health inspector's suggestion?
(a) Mrs. Banks says nothing and walks away.
(b) Mrs. Banks breaks into a tirade.
(c) Mrs. Banks quietly agrees.
(d) Mrs. Banks says she will consider the suggestion.
12. What is Christopher's initial explanation for Akira's reverence for Mrs. Banks?
(a) She is strong.
(b) She knows a secret about Akira.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She has a powerful temper.
13. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
(a) Christopher's mother.
(b) Christopher's father.
(c) Uncle Philip.
14. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
(a) Old chap.
15. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
(a) Christopher's father.
(b) Christopher's mother.
(c) Uncle Philip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
2. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
3. Where does Christopher keep his newspaper photograph of Wang Ku?
4. What is the tone of Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
5. What is the Banks' "library" like?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)