|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
(b) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
(c) Go to Akira's house.
(d) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
2. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
3. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
(c) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(d) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
4. While pondering a case in Kensington Gardens, Christopher runs in to which character?
(a) Colonel Chamberlain.
(b) Sarah Hemmings.
(c) Joe Turner.
(d) James Osbourne.
5. What is Uncle Philip's relationship to the Banks?
(a) Philip is Mrs. Banks uncle.
(b) Philip is a close family friend, not a real uncle to any of them.
(c) Philip is Mrs. Banks brother.
(d) Philip is Mr. Banks brother.
6. What does Uncle Philip do every time Christopher visits his office?
(a) Uncle Philip allows Christopher to drink a little whisky.
(b) Uncle Philip gives Christopher a present.
(c) Uncle Philip acts very "put-off" with Christopher.
(d) Uncle Philip takes Christopher out for ice cream.
7. How does old Christopher remember Colonel Chamberlain?
8. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) On foot.
(b) On bicycles.
(c) In a motorcar.
(d) In a carriage.
9. What is Christopher's relationship to James Osbourne?
(a) They belong to the same club.
(b) They are cricket teammates.
(c) They are old school friends.
(d) They play football together.
10. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
(a) Before the service.
(b) After the service.
(c) During the service.
(d) Christopher does not speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding.
11. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
(a) Leave Shanghai immediately.
(b) Leave her husband.
(c) Watch the New Year's parade.
(d) Get rid of the servants.
12. What kind of tree rises out of the mound in Christopher's garden in Shanghai?
(a) A pine tree.
(b) A bonzai tree.
(c) A maple tree.
(d) An oak tree.
13. What is Christopher's initial explanation for Akira's reverence for Mrs. Banks?
(a) She has a powerful temper.
(b) She is strong.
(c) She knows a secret about Akira.
(d) She is beautiful.
14. What is the date of Part III?
(a) Novermber 8, 1931.
(b) April 30, 1931.
(c) April 12, 1937.
(d) November 30, 1937.
15. What are the circumstances of Akira and Christopher's entry into Ling Tien's room?
(a) Akira and Christopher sneak in while Ling Tien is at daily prayers.
(b) Ling Tien goes away to his home village and Akira and Christopher sneak in.
(c) Akira and Christopher enter quietly while Ling Tien is asleep.
(d) Ling Tien invites Akira and Christopher in for tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
2. Where does Christopher keep his newspaper photograph of Wang Ku?
3. Where does Christopher unexpectedly reunite with Colonel Chamberlain?
4. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
5. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)