|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Christopher and Akira begin playing on the mound in the garden?
(a) Age seven.
(b) Age eight.
(c) Age six.
(d) Age five.
2. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
(a) Old chap.
3. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
(b) Go to Akira's house.
(c) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
(d) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
4. What does Christopher's mother call the plump-faced man?
(a) A very charming man.
(b) A fine man.
(c) An agent of the devil.
(d) The ugliest man she has ever seen.
5. What is Christopher's memory of Akira's house?
(a) Christopher remembers it to be very similar to his family's from an architectural standpoint.
(b) Christopher remembers that Akira's house was very dilapidated.
(c) Strangely, Christopher has no recollection of his best friend's house.
(d) Christopher remembers it to be exactly the opposite of his family's.
6. How many days pass before Christopher sees Akira on Etsuko's bicycle?
(a) Five or six days.
(b) Three or four days.
(c) Two or three days.
(d) One or two days.
7. Where are Mr. Banks and Christopher when Mr. Banks brings up the time Christopher and his mother "burst in" on him?
(a) Mr. Banks's study.
(b) Downtown Shanghai.
(c) The Public Gardens.
(d) Their backyard.
8. What does Uncle Philip do every time Christopher visits his office?
(a) Uncle Philip takes Christopher out for ice cream.
(b) Uncle Philip acts very "put-off" with Christopher.
(c) Uncle Philip gives Christopher a present.
(d) Uncle Philip allows Christopher to drink a little whisky.
9. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
(a) Christopher suspects Akira failed to apply himself to his studies.
(b) Christopher suspects Akira was unable to learn Japanese.
(c) Christopher suspects Akira was mercilessly ostracised for his "foreignness."
(d) Christopher suspects Akira made many friends and was sad to leave.
10. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(b) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
(c) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
(d) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
11. Whom does Christopher discover waiting for him when he arrives outside the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(b) Sir Cecil Medhurst.
(c) Charles Emory.
12. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) In a motorcar.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On foot.
(d) On bicycles.
13. What is Uncle Philip's relationship to the Banks?
(a) Philip is a close family friend, not a real uncle to any of them.
(b) Philip is Mrs. Banks uncle.
(c) Philip is Mrs. Banks brother.
(d) Philip is Mr. Banks brother.
14. What does the event Osbourne takes Christopher to turn out to be?
(a) A secret meeting.
(b) A major disappointment.
(c) A trap.
(d) An enchanting evening.
15. What do Christopher's friends give him for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) A woopie cushion.
(b) A cricket bat.
(c) A croquet set.
(d) A magnifying glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
2. What does Christopher discover when he returns home?
3. What does Christopher conclude happened to Charles Emory?
4. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
5. What nickname do the Banks and Uncle Philip call Christopher?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)