|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Uncle Philip's relationship to the Banks?
(a) Philip is Mr. Banks brother.
(b) Philip is Mrs. Banks uncle.
(c) Philip is a close family friend, not a real uncle to any of them.
(d) Philip is Mrs. Banks brother.
2. How does Sarah get into the Foundation dinner without an invitation?
(a) Sarah does not attend the Foundation dinner.
(b) Sarah disguises herself as the guest of honor.
(c) Sarah makes a big, emotional scene.
(d) Sarah sneaks in the back.
3. What kind of establishment is the Dorchester?
(a) A public house.
(b) A quaint tea room.
(c) A very fancy restaurant.
(d) A modest inn.
4. How do Uncle Philip and Christopher reach the city center?
(a) On foot.
(b) On bicycles.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) In a motorcar.
5. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
(a) Christopher will forget how to speak English.
(b) Christopher will turn into a Chinaman.
(c) Christopher will be abducted himself.
(d) Christopher start smoking opium.
6. Who does Uncle Philip say "is about as English as they come?"
(a) Christopher's mother.
(b) Christopher's father.
(c) Philip himself.
7. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
(a) The plump-faced man captures Christopher's rapt attention.
(b) The plump-faced man does not much excite Christopher's interest.
(c) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with pity.
(d) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with fear.
8. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
(a) Uncle Phillip seemed not to be on Christopher's family's side.
(b) Uncle Philip had a big wad of money.
(c) Uncle Philip had just gotten a hair cut.
(d) Uncle Philip seemed to be preoccupied.
9. Upon his return, how does Akira respond to Christopher's questions about his experiences in Japan?
(a) Akira persuades Christopher it would be childish to discuss such matters.
(b) Akira is silent.
(c) Akira goes on and on with his many stories until Christopher is quite bored.
(d) Akira recounts a bitter tale of his alienation from the boys in the Nagasaki school.
10. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(c) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
(d) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
11. What does Christopher think about the quality of his memory of the Shanghai garden?
(a) Christopher thinks his memory is highly accurate, despite all the years that have passed since he left Shanghai.
(b) Christopher thinks his memory of the lawn is a child's vision, and the garden was in reality not so grand.
(c) Christopher thinks his memory is too simple, and the garden was probably far grander than he recalls.
(d) Christopher is unsure if he is remembering his own garden or Akira's.
12. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
13. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
(a) Christopher suspects Akira was mercilessly ostracised for his "foreignness."
(b) Christopher suspects Akira failed to apply himself to his studies.
(c) Christopher suspects Akira made many friends and was sad to leave.
(d) Christopher suspects Akira was unable to learn Japanese.
14. What does Christopher's mother call the plump-faced man?
(a) An agent of the devil.
(b) The ugliest man she has ever seen.
(c) A very charming man.
(d) A fine man.
15. What is Christopher's response to Sarah's proposal that he take her to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher says he has not been invited himself.
(b) Christopher declines.
(c) Christopher accepts.
(d) Christopher says he must think about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Akira and Christopher when they finally enter Ling Tien's room?
2. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
3. What does Christopher overhear one day while working on his lessons with Mei Li in the library?
4. After leading Christopher in the crowded city center, what does Uncle Philip do?
5. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)