|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Christopher glimpse while enjoying tea and scones at the Waldorf Hotel?
(a) His mother.
(d) Inspector Kung.
2. Where are Mr. Banks and Christopher when Mr. Banks brings up the time Christopher and his mother "burst in" on him?
(a) Mr. Banks's study.
(b) The Public Gardens.
(c) Downtown Shanghai.
(d) Their backyard.
3. How old are Akira and Christopher when they finally enter Ling Tien's room?
4. What does Uncle Philip do every time Christopher visits his office?
(a) Uncle Philip allows Christopher to drink a little whisky.
(b) Uncle Philip takes Christopher out for ice cream.
(c) Uncle Philip acts very "put-off" with Christopher.
(d) Uncle Philip gives Christopher a present.
5. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
(a) Akira says he will go to Japan in two years.
(b) Akira says he will stay in Shanghai forever.
(c) Akira says he will got to Japan in four years.
(d) Akira says he will go to Japan in one year.
6. Where does Jennifer live before Christopher adopts her?
7. What is Uncle Philip's relationship to the Banks?
(a) Philip is Mrs. Banks brother.
(b) Philip is Mrs. Banks uncle.
(c) Philip is a close family friend, not a real uncle to any of them.
(d) Philip is Mr. Banks brother.
8. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
(a) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with pity.
(b) The plump-faced man captures Christopher's rapt attention.
(c) The plump-faced man does not much excite Christopher's interest.
(d) The plump-faced man fills Christopher with fear.
9. How does Christopher remember Uncle Philip's office?
(a) Christopher remembers it to be very small.
(b) Christopher remembers it to be very ramshakle.
(c) Christopher remembers it to be very large.
(d) Christopher remembers it to be very tidy.
10. What is the Banks' "library" like?
(a) A small, dark room in the basement with a few encyclopedia volumes.
(b) The largest room in the house with miles and miles of books.
(c) An anteroom with walls lined with books.
(d) A nook in the kitchen housing a shelf of classic works.
11. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
(a) Christopher suspects Akira was mercilessly ostracised for his "foreignness."
(b) Christopher suspects Akira was unable to learn Japanese.
(c) Christopher suspects Akira failed to apply himself to his studies.
(d) Christopher suspects Akira made many friends and was sad to leave.
12. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks how Sir Cecil met Sarah.
(b) Christopher asks if Sir Cecil would like his assistance in solving the mystery of his disappearing cigar box.
(c) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil happened to meet Akira.
(d) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil would like a drink from his flask.
13. At what age did Christopher and Akira begin playing on the mound in the garden?
(a) Age eight.
(b) Age five.
(c) Age six.
(d) Age seven.
14. How does Christopher get back to his house?
(a) Christopher runs home.
(b) Christopher walks.
(c) Christopher rides his bicycle.
(d) Christopher hails a taxi.
15. Upon his return, how does Akira respond to Christopher's questions about his experiences in Japan?
(a) Akira persuades Christopher it would be childish to discuss such matters.
(b) Akira is silent.
(c) Akira recounts a bitter tale of his alienation from the boys in the Nagasaki school.
(d) Akira goes on and on with his many stories until Christopher is quite bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
2. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
3. In chapter one Christopher remembers coming from Cambridge to London in the summer of which year?
4. What is the name of the road whose side streets are so heavily trafficked?
5. What kind of lawn did Christopher's family have in their garden in Shanghai?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)