|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day do Akira and Christopher enter Ling Tien's room?
2. What delightful news does Mei Li deliver to Christopher at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Banks family will return to England.
(b) She has purchased Christopher a pony.
(c) Christopher has been selected for a prestigious honor at school.
(d) Akira has returned from Japan.
3. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
(a) Dull and cold.
(b) Sullen and pious.
(c) Dark and dangerous.
(d) Light and breezy.
4. How does Akira feel about Ling Tien?
(a) Akira finds Ling Tien amusing.
(b) Akira thinks of him as a father.
(c) Akira is deeply afraid of Ling Tien.
(d) Akira regards him as an object of ridicule.
5. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
(b) Christopher's father.
(c) Christopher's mother.
(d) Uncle Philip.
6. What prevents Christopher from developing the level of intimacy with his English school friends that he developed with Akira?
(a) Christopher is taken out of English school.
(b) The English boys make Christopher the butt of their jokes.
(c) Christopher finds the English boys entirely unappealing.
(d) The English boys refuse to speak to Christopher.
7. How does Sarah get into the Foundation dinner without an invitation?
(a) Sarah disguises herself as the guest of honor.
(b) Sarah makes a big, emotional scene.
(c) Sarah sneaks in the back.
(d) Sarah does not attend the Foundation dinner.
8. What areas of Shanghai is young Christopher forbidden to enter?
(a) The American areas.
(b) The Chinese areas.
(c) The English areas.
(d) The Japanese areas.
9. What kind of tree rises out of the mound in Christopher's garden in Shanghai?
(a) A pine tree.
(b) A maple tree.
(c) An oak tree.
(d) A bonzai tree.
10. What does Christopher discover when he returns home?
(a) Christopher discovers his father has returned home.
(b) Christopher discovers his mother has been abducted.
(c) Christopher discovers Akira waiting for him.
(d) Christopher discover his house has been burned to the ground.
11. Who does Uncle Philip say "is about as English as they come?"
(b) Philip himself.
(c) Christopher's father.
(d) Christopher's mother.
12. According to Akira, why do Christopher's parents stop speaking to one another?
(a) Because Christopher's mother objects to her husband's work.
(b) Because Christopher is "not enough Englishman."
(c) Because Christopher's parents have hurt each other's feelings.
(d) Because Akira is "not enough Japanese."
13. How does Christopher describe Miss Givens's smiles?
14. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(b) Holding hands.
15. What does Roger Brenthurst say about Christopher in high school?
(a) He says Christopher is too short to be a Sherlock.
(b) He says Christopher is too fat to be a Sherlock.
(c) He says Christopher is too irresponsible to be a Sherlock.
(d) He says Christopher is too poor to be a Sherlock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the event Osbourne takes Christopher to turn out to be?
2. What musical instrument does Uncle Philip encourage Christopher to go with him to see?
3. Who surprises Christopher while he is investigating the Emory case?
4. When Christopher comes to London from Cambridge he takes a flat in what neighborhood?
5. Whom does Christopher glimpse while enjoying tea and scones at the Waldorf Hotel?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)