|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) The billiard room.
(b) A fashionable club across the street.
(c) The parlor.
(d) The ballroom.
2. What does Christopher's mother say when he rushes to the door?
(a) Christopher's mother tells Christopher he may not go into town.
(b) Christopher's mother tells Christopher to be proud of his father.
(c) Christopher's mother tells Christopher he must first put on proper shoes and a jacket.
(d) Christopher's mother proposes that Christopher take Akira with him.
3. How does Christopher remember Uncle Philip's office?
(a) Christopher remembers it to be very tidy.
(b) Christopher remembers it to be very ramshakle.
(c) Christopher remembers it to be very large.
(d) Christopher remembers it to be very small.
4. What does Christopher's mother call the plump-faced man?
(a) A very charming man.
(b) An agent of the devil.
(c) A fine man.
(d) The ugliest man she has ever seen.
5. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
(a) Christopher's father.
(b) Christopher's mother.
(d) Uncle Philip.
6. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
(a) Luring children into his room and turning them into monkies.
(b) Playing cricket.
(c) Turning severed hands into spiders.
(d) Selling children into slavery.
7. How old are Akira and Christopher when they finally enter Ling Tien's room?
8. What does Christopher discover when he returns home?
(a) Christopher discovers his mother has been abducted.
(b) Christopher discovers Akira waiting for him.
(c) Christopher discover his house has been burned to the ground.
(d) Christopher discovers his father has returned home.
9. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
(b) Go to Akira's house.
(c) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
(d) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
10. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
(a) Get rid of the servants.
(b) Watch the New Year's parade.
(c) Leave her husband.
(d) Leave Shanghai immediately.
11. What is Christopher's memory of Akira's house?
(a) Christopher remembers it to be exactly the opposite of his family's.
(b) Christopher remembers that Akira's house was very dilapidated.
(c) Christopher remembers it to be very similar to his family's from an architectural standpoint.
(d) Strangely, Christopher has no recollection of his best friend's house.
12. What is the tone of Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Sullen and pessimistic.
(b) Arrogant and boisterous.
(c) Self-deprecating and optimistic.
(d) Diffident and high-minded.
13. How does old Christopher remember Colonel Chamberlain?
14. How does Christoper want Uncle Philip to help him become "more English?"
(a) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to introduce him to some fine English "specimens."
(b) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to give him weekly lessons in "Englishness."
(c) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to take him on a trip to England.
(d) Christopher wants Uncle Philip to allow him to copy his behavior sometimes.
15. What kind of publishing does Osbourne say he is thinking of going into?
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Christopher from developing the level of intimacy with his English school friends that he developed with Akira?
2. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
3. What is the date of Part III?
4. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
5. What is the first question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)