|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what terms do Christopher and Sarah leave after the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher and Sarah leave quite angry with one another.
(b) Christopher and Sarah leave suspicious of one another.
(c) Christopher and Sarah leave in love with one another.
(d) Christopher and Sarah leave on friendly terms.
2. Where does Christopher keep his newspaper photograph of Wang Ku?
(a) In a cigar box.
(b) In his wallet.
(c) In his icebox.
(d) In his scrapbook.
3. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
(b) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(c) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
(d) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
4. At what age did Christopher and Akira begin playing on the mound in the garden?
(a) Age five.
(b) Age seven.
(c) Age six.
(d) Age eight.
5. How does Christopher feel about Uncle Philip?
(a) Christopher is afraid of him.
(b) Christopher is irritated by him.
(c) Christopher is secretly in love with him.
(d) Christopher is quite fond of him.
6. What is the last thing Uncle Philip says to Christopher?
(a) I didn't want to hurt you.
(b) I want you to like me.
(c) I think you are very English.
(d) I love you.
7. What is Christopher expected to do during his mother's opium campaign meetings?
(a) Leave the adults alone in the dining room.
(b) Go to Akira's house.
(c) Go to town with his Uncle Philip.
(d) Serve cocktails for those attending the meeting.
8. What kind of lawn did Christopher's family have in their garden in Shanghai?
(a) A simple "Japanese" lawn.
(b) A carefully tended "English" lawn.
(c) A sprawling "French" lawn.
(d) An ornate "Chinese" lawn.
9. How does Christopher describe the atmosphere at breakfast on the days of the campaign meetings.
10. Who first tells Christopher about Jennifer?
(a) Mrs. Givens.
(b) Sarah Hemmings.
(c) Colonel Chamberlain.
(d) Lady Beaton.
11. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(b) Holding hands.
12. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
(a) Playing cricket.
(b) Turning severed hands into spiders.
(c) Luring children into his room and turning them into monkies.
(d) Selling children into slavery.
13. How does Miss Givens strike Christopher in her interview?
(a) Dull and cold.
(b) Light and breezy.
(c) Sullen and pious.
(d) Dark and dangerous.
14. What is the Banks' "library" like?
(a) A nook in the kitchen housing a shelf of classic works.
(b) A small, dark room in the basement with a few encyclopedia volumes.
(c) The largest room in the house with miles and miles of books.
(d) An anteroom with walls lined with books.
15. Who causes Christopher to lower his guard?
(b) Uncle Philip.
(c) Christopher's father.
(d) Christopher's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Uncle Philip say "is about as English as they come?"
2. How do Akira and Christopher dress when they play outside?
3. Who does young Christopher see being very familiar with the plump-faced man?
4. What composer's music underscores Christopher and Sarah's conversation at the end of the Foundation dinner?
5. When does Christopher speak to Sarah at the Draycoats' wedding?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)