|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Banks' "library" like?
(a) The largest room in the house with miles and miles of books.
(b) An anteroom with walls lined with books.
(c) A small, dark room in the basement with a few encyclopedia volumes.
(d) A nook in the kitchen housing a shelf of classic works.
2. Who owns Christopher's family's house in Shanghai?
(b) Christopher's parents.
(c) Inspector Kung.
(d) Morganbrook and Byatt.
3. How long does it take Christopher to unravel the mystery of Charles Emory's death?
(a) No more than a few days.
(b) Over two years.
(c) Twenty four hours.
(d) Many weeks.
4. How does Mrs. Banks respond to the health inspector's suggestion?
(a) Mrs. Banks says she will consider the suggestion.
(b) Mrs. Banks says nothing and walks away.
(c) Mrs. Banks breaks into a tirade.
(d) Mrs. Banks quietly agrees.
5. What is the first question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks him if he has any crimes that need to be solved.
(b) Christopher asks him if he has a drink.
(c) Christopher asks him if he knows Sarah Hemmings.
(d) Christopher asks if he has spent any time recently in Shanghai.
6. What is Christopher's response to Sarah's proposal that he take her to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Christopher says he has not been invited himself.
(b) Christopher accepts.
(c) Christopher says he must think about it.
(d) Christopher declines.
7. Whom does Christopher glimpse while enjoying tea and scones at the Waldorf Hotel?
(b) His mother.
(c) Inspector Kung.
8. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
(a) Uncle Philip had just gotten a hair cut.
(b) Uncle Phillip seemed not to be on Christopher's family's side.
(c) Uncle Philip seemed to be preoccupied.
(d) Uncle Philip had a big wad of money.
9. What prevents Christopher from developing the level of intimacy with his English school friends that he developed with Akira?
(a) The English boys make Christopher the butt of their jokes.
(b) Christopher is taken out of English school.
(c) Christopher finds the English boys entirely unappealing.
(d) The English boys refuse to speak to Christopher.
10. What does Christopher discover when he returns home?
(a) Christopher discovers Akira waiting for him.
(b) Christopher discovers his father has returned home.
(c) Christopher discovers his mother has been abducted.
(d) Christopher discover his house has been burned to the ground.
11. What kind of tree rises out of the mound in Christopher's garden in Shanghai?
(a) A bonzai tree.
(b) An oak tree.
(c) A pine tree.
(d) A maple tree.
12. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
(a) Akira says he will go to Japan in two years.
(b) Akira says he will go to Japan in one year.
(c) Akira says he will stay in Shanghai forever.
(d) Akira says he will got to Japan in four years.
13. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
(a) Akira's overblown appreciation of his personal virtues.
(b) Akira's tendency to disappear for long periods of time.
(c) Akira's incessant harping on the achievements of the Japanese.
(d) Akira's preoccupation with his bodily functions.
14. Christopher has an argument over the pronunciation of which English expression?
(b) Old chap.
15. At what age did Christopher and Akira begin playing on the mound in the garden?
(a) Age five.
(b) Age six.
(c) Age seven.
(d) Age eight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lawn did Christopher's family have in their garden in Shanghai?
2. What does Akira believe Ling Tien's passion to be?
3. After leading Christopher in the crowded city center, what does Uncle Philip do?
4. Where does Christopher unexpectedly reunite with Colonel Chamberlain?
5. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)