|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of lawn did Christopher's family have in their garden in Shanghai?
(a) An ornate "Chinese" lawn.
(b) A carefully tended "English" lawn.
(c) A simple "Japanese" lawn.
(d) A sprawling "French" lawn.
2. What does Christopher remember about Uncle Philip on the day of the plump-faced man's visit?
(a) Uncle Philip had just gotten a hair cut.
(b) Uncle Philip seemed to be preoccupied.
(c) Uncle Phillip seemed not to be on Christopher's family's side.
(d) Uncle Philip had a big wad of money.
3. How does Mrs. Banks respond to the health inspector's suggestion?
(a) Mrs. Banks says nothing and walks away.
(b) Mrs. Banks breaks into a tirade.
(c) Mrs. Banks quietly agrees.
(d) Mrs. Banks says she will consider the suggestion.
4. Where does Christopher unexpectedly reunite with Colonel Chamberlain?
(a) In a crowded square in Shanghai.
(b) In a bookshop on Charing Cross Road.
(c) At the Lucky Chance Club.
(d) In the Palm Court of the Waldorf.
5. According to Chamberlain, what will happen to young Christopher if he remains in Shanghai much longer?
(a) Christopher will be abducted himself.
(b) Christopher start smoking opium.
(c) Christopher will forget how to speak English.
(d) Christopher will turn into a Chinaman.
6. What are the circumstances of Akira and Christopher's entry into Ling Tien's room?
(a) Akira and Christopher sneak in while Ling Tien is at daily prayers.
(b) Ling Tien goes away to his home village and Akira and Christopher sneak in.
(c) Ling Tien invites Akira and Christopher in for tea.
(d) Akira and Christopher enter quietly while Ling Tien is asleep.
7. What delightful news does Mei Li deliver to Christopher at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Banks family will return to England.
(b) Akira has returned from Japan.
(c) Christopher has been selected for a prestigious honor at school.
(d) She has purchased Christopher a pony.
8. What is odd about Mr. Banks's behavior in the fall that Akira is away?
(a) Mr. Banks is frequently out of sight.
(b) Mr. Banks loses his temper on a daily basis.
(c) Mr. Banks begins losing his mind.
(d) Mr. Banks begins boasting.
9. Where do the guests go after the meal and the speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The ballroom.
(c) A fashionable club across the street.
(d) The billiard room.
10. What is Lady Beaton's first reaction to Christopher's proposal that he adopt Jennifer?
(a) Lady Beaton laughs out loud.
(b) Lady Beaton recoils with suspicion.
(c) Lady Beaton immediately says yes.
(d) Lady Beaton immediately leaves Christopher's presence.
11. In the summer of the visit to Uncle Philip's office, what behavior of Akira's does Christopher begin to find particularly irksome?
(a) Akira's incessant harping on the achievements of the Japanese.
(b) Akira's overblown appreciation of his personal virtues.
(c) Akira's tendency to disappear for long periods of time.
(d) Akira's preoccupation with his bodily functions.
12. How does Akira respond when Christopher asks him if he will have to go and live in Japan?
(a) Akira says he will go to Japan in two years.
(b) Akira says he will stay in Shanghai forever.
(c) Akira says he will go to Japan in one year.
(d) Akira says he will got to Japan in four years.
13. What is the second question Christopher asks Sir Cecil?
(a) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil happened to meet Akira.
(b) Christopher asks how Sir Cecil met Sarah.
(c) Christopher asks whether Sir Cecil would like a drink from his flask.
(d) Christopher asks if Sir Cecil would like his assistance in solving the mystery of his disappearing cigar box.
14. What is Christopher's memory of Akira's house?
(a) Christopher remembers it to be very similar to his family's from an architectural standpoint.
(b) Strangely, Christopher has no recollection of his best friend's house.
(c) Christopher remembers that Akira's house was very dilapidated.
(d) Christopher remembers it to be exactly the opposite of his family's.
15. What is the tone of Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) Sullen and pessimistic.
(b) Diffident and high-minded.
(c) Arrogant and boisterous.
(d) Self-deprecating and optimistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the health inspector from Morganbrook and Byatt urge Mrs. Banks to do?
2. Why does Christopher tell Colonel Chamberlain that he doesn't think it will be necessary for him to go to England?
3. What is the subject of Sir Cecil's speech?
4. Why does Jennifer grope around the drawing room?
5. What is Christopher's initial response to the plump-faced man?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)