|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Colonel Chamberlain's relationship to Christopher?
(a) The Colonel becomes Christopher's guardian when he comes to London.
(b) The Colonel is Christopher's second cousin.
(c) The Colonel takes Christopher from Shanghai to England after his parents' abductions.
(d) The Colonel is Christopher's uncle.
2. How old are Akira and Christopher when they finally enter Ling Tien's room?
3. Where does Christopher keep his newspaper photograph of Wang Ku?
(a) In his icebox.
(b) In his scrapbook.
(c) In a cigar box.
(d) In his wallet.
4. What is the effect of Akira's story on Christopher?
(a) Christopher is upset by the story.
(b) The story inspires Christopher to dabble in magic.
(c) Christopher is highly pleased by the story.
(d) The story makes Christopher afraid of Akira.
5. When Christopher comes to London from Cambridge he takes a flat in what neighborhood?
(a) Hyde Park.
(d) Knotting Hill.
6. Why does Christopher become irritated with Chamberlain at the Dorchester?
(a) Chamberlain has very bad breath.
(b) Christopher dislikes the way the Colonel speaks to him.
(c) Christopher takes exception to the picture Chamberlain paints of him as a child traveling to England.
(d) Chamberlain gets very drunk and won't stop talking.
7. What does Christopher discover when he returns home?
(a) Christopher discover his house has been burned to the ground.
(b) Christopher discovers his father has returned home.
(c) Christopher discovers Akira waiting for him.
(d) Christopher discovers his mother has been abducted.
8. How does Sarah react to Christopher at the Mayfair party?
(a) Sarah puts Christopher down in front of the whole room.
(b) Sarah nods in recognition, but otherwise ignores Christopher.
(c) Sarah pleads with Christopher to take her to a dance.
(d) Sarah greets Christopher warmly.
9. According to Osbourne, Christopher always used to quiz him about what?
(a) Osbourne's study regimen.
(b) Osbourne's romantic conquests.
(c) Osbourne's diet.
(d) Osbourne's being "well-connected."
10. How does Osbourne offend Christopher?
(a) Osbourne claims Christopher was "such an odd bird in school."
(b) Osbourne calls Christopher's mother a "loose woman."
(c) Osbourne insults Christopher's cooking.
(d) Osbourne breaks Christopher's china.
11. What are Miss Givens and Jennifer doing when they return from shopping?
(c) Holding hands.
12. Where do Christopher and Sarah converse at the end of the Meredith Foundation dinner?
(a) On the curb waiting for a cab.
(b) On the subway.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) On one of the balconies of the ballroom.
13. How does Christopher feel about Uncle Philip?
(a) Christopher is secretly in love with him.
(b) Christopher is irritated by him.
(c) Christopher is afraid of him.
(d) Christopher is quite fond of him.
14. How does Christopher describe Miss Givens's smiles?
15. What kind of person is the Banks's typical house guest in Shanghai?
(a) A middle-aged English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
(b) A young English woman sent on a tour of the far east by her wealthy parents.
(c) A young man who brings with him the air of English lanes, meadows and foggy streets.
(d) An old English man working for Morganbrook and Byatt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does old Christopher recognize Wang Ku in the photograph?
2. As a child what is Christopher's feeling about his ambition to become a great detective?
3. How does Christopher describe the atmosphere at breakfast on the days of the campaign meetings.
4. What is the last thing Uncle Philip says to Christopher?
5. What does Christopher suspect happened to Akira in Japan?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)