Short Essay Questions Key
1. How does Christopher spend his time in the summer of 1923?
2. How does Christopher receive his magnifying glass?
3. Describe Christopher's meeting with the silver-haired man.
4. What are Christopher's earliest encounters with Sarah like?
5. Describe Christopher's reunion with Colonel Chamberlain.
6. Why does Christopher consider inviting Chamberlain to the Dorchester "the height of inconsideration?"
7. How does Sarah Hemmings treat Christopher at the Mayfair flat?
8. Where is Charles Emery's body found?
9. How does the Emery case wrap up?
10. How does Miss Hemmings gain admittance to the Meredith Foundation dinner?
11. Describe Sir Cecil Medhurst's speech at the Meredith Foundation Dinner.
12. What does Sarah tell Christopher about marriage?
13. How does Christopher tend to remember his boyhood companion Akira?
14. Describe the visit of the health inspector to Christopher's home in Shanghai.
15. Describe the opium campaign meetings.
16. What happens to Christopher and Sarah at David Corbett's luncheon on Lower Regent Street?
17. What is the "dining room episode?"
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)