|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pa do that he believes will render the Cap harmless?
2. What is the fate of the guesthouse after the family leaves it?
3. How many bedrooms are there in the guesthouse?
4. How many police roadblocks are there on the way to the boat?
5. What is Pa's reaction when they see the first Tripod in Switzerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Caps made permanent and how does Laurie learn about it?
2. What precautions are taken by the group to ensure that they aren't detected?
3. What are the arguments against trying to destroy the Tripod that patrols near the tunnel?
4. Describe the encounter with the Vicar in the airport restaurant.
5. What does Pa say about the reaction of the Swiss at the train station when Laurie and Andy get into a fight?
6. What does Laurie think when Pa arrives the following morning but leaves without rescuing him?
7. What is the conversation Pa and Andy have about rats?
8. Why is Laurie afraid of putting on the altered Cap?
9. How does Andy come to be held by the village police officer?
10. Describe the scene in the airport after the plane lands.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the efforts of Pa to take the group to Switzerland. How do they finally make it there? Was it a good decision?
Essay Topic 2
List and describe the three most important scenes in the story. Be sure to include reasons these scenes are important.
Essay Topic 3
The Swiss don't believe they have anything to fear as the face off the invaders but Laurie says they can't imagine facing an army of people who have been Capped. Why does Laurie fear the Capped army and what is the end result of the conflict? What is the end result to the Swiss people?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)