|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much food do they discover at the hotel?
2. How many crew members are there on the plane?
3. What does Rudi's mother say about her ailment after being Capped?
4. Where does Laurie plan to get the present he's going to give Angela?
5. What does Martha tell Angela they are going to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of precautions are the Swiss taking against being taken over by the Trippies?
2. What does Pa tell Ilse's mother when she tells them she can't travel quickly and that they should leave her behind? What does he mean?
3. What is it about Captain Hardy that makes Laurie question whether being Capped is a bad thing?
4. Describe the scene in the airport after the plane lands.
5. What precautions are taken by the group to ensure that they aren't detected?
6. List at least two people who become members of the group after they are established in the tunnels, and describe how each is taken in.
7. How are the Caps made permanent and how does Laurie learn about it?
8. How does Andy come to be held by the village police officer?
9. What are the arguments against trying to destroy the Tripod that patrols near the tunnel?
10. Describe Laurie's attempts to learn to ski, his jealousy and his eventual mastery of the skill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you believe the is the strongest character in the story? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
As Rudi is studying science, his mother says that science will soon be eliminated as a course of study. Why does she say this and what does this mean for the future of the human race?
Essay Topic 3
List and describe the three most important scenes in the story. Be sure to include reasons these scenes are important.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)