|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurie say about the reason Tripods don't come until after the snow is melted?
2. What is the ice sculpture that intrigues Andy?
3. What does Martha tell them to order at the airport restaurant?
4. Where do the men say they'll take the three boys to be Capped?
5. Who proposes that they set off an avalanche to destroy the Tripod?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Laurie's attempts to learn to ski, his jealousy and his eventual mastery of the skill.
2. When Laurie and Angela are talking about Prince, Laurie realizes that their relationship is changing. Why is it changing and what does Laurie think about it?
3. What reasons are there for the group to send patrols out farther from the base camp?
4. Describe how the family gets from Guernsey to Switzerland.
5. What is it about Captain Hardy that makes Laurie question whether being Capped is a bad thing?
6. What is the argument against Pa going to rescue Andy?
7. How are the Caps made permanent and how does Laurie learn about it?
8. What is the condition of Ilse's father and how does he spend his days?
9. How does Laurie compare the final resting places of Ilse's mother and father?
10. List at least two people who become members of the group after they are established in the tunnels, and describe how each is taken in.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dr. Monmouth say that the Trippy Show affects some people but not others? Do you agree? Why was Laurie able to watch an episode without becoming hypnotized? What does this say about Laurie's character?
Essay Topic 2
The story explores the idea of an alien race using hypnosis to control humans. Is the idea scientifically sound? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In some ways, this story is a typical coming-of-age story. Describe events that exemplify the theme.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)