|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is living at the guesthouse when Laurie and his family arrive?
2. What does Rudi's mother say about her ailment after being Capped?
3. What does Ilse's father do all day?
4. What does Laurie learn happened to Ilse's father during the night he was gone?
5. How many crew members are there on the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Laurie afraid of putting on the altered Cap?
2. How are the Caps made permanent and how does Laurie learn about it?
3. What does Pa say about the reaction of the Swiss at the train station when Laurie and Andy get into a fight?
4. What does Laurie think when Pa arrives the following morning but leaves without rescuing him?
5. How does that story relate to the current situation, according to Pa?
6. List at least two people who become members of the group after they are established in the tunnels, and describe how each is taken in.
7. What does Pa say about the difference in the attitudes of the young and the old with regard to taking chances?
8. What is it about Captain Hardy that makes Laurie question whether being Capped is a bad thing?
9. What kinds of precautions are the Swiss taking against being taken over by the Trippies?
10. How are Laurie and Andy eventually able to escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you believe the is the strongest character in the story? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Swiss don't believe they have anything to fear as the face off the invaders but Laurie says they can't imagine facing an army of people who have been Capped. Why does Laurie fear the Capped army and what is the end result of the conflict? What is the end result to the Swiss people?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dr. Monmouth say that the Trippy Show affects some people but not others? Do you agree? Why was Laurie able to watch an episode without becoming hypnotized? What does this say about Laurie's character?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)