|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the terrace?
2. Where do the men say they'll take the three boys to be Capped?
3. How many crew members are there on the plane?
4. What does Pa have in his hand when he returns to the house the second time?
5. How long is the family told they can stay in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story Pa tells Andy when he refuses to obey a command to return to the dock?
2. Describe the encounter with the Vicar in the airport restaurant.
3. What does Pa tell Ilse's mother when she tells them she can't travel quickly and that they should leave her behind? What does he mean?
4. What happens with regard to the Tripod destroyed in the avalanche?
5. Why are the Swiss people not worried about being invaded prior to the time it actually happens?
6. What is it about Captain Hardy that makes Laurie question whether being Capped is a bad thing?
7. Describe how the family gets from Guernsey to Switzerland.
8. List at least two people who become members of the group after they are established in the tunnels, and describe how each is taken in.
9. What kinds of precautions are the Swiss taking against being taken over by the Trippies?
10. How does Laurie compare the final resting places of Ilse's mother and father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Laurie and his relationship to his father, stepmother, half-sister and grandmother. How do each of these relationships influence Laurie's actions and attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Tripods. What are the Tripods' ultimate goal? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
At one point Martha says that the news should stop broadcasting information about the Tripods but Pa says that censorship isn't the answer. Which is correct and why?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)