|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the planet the Master comes from, according to the author?
2. What does Laurie see clinging to the legs of the Tripod?
3. Who is Ilse?
4. What does a student do with the issue of the Daily Mail that addressed Trippies?
5. How is the farmer dressed when he runs out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the Trippy show that Laurie sees for the first time.
2. What are some of the ways the boys try to explain away the sounds and sight of the Tripod?
3. What does Laurie say is the difference between his calling Ilse by her name and Andy calling Miranda by her name?
4. How much input does the author say he had in the movie project and why does he say that's acceptable?
5. Describe Laurie's father.
6. Why does Ilse offer Laurie cookies and why does he refuse?
7. Briefly describe what happens when the Tripod arrives at the farmhouse.
8. What does the author say about a science fiction writer's ability to predict the future?
9. What does Laurie say about the attention he and Andy receive because they witnessed the Tripod?
10. What does Ilse say is the situation in Switzerland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Rudi is studying science, his mother says that science will soon be eliminated as a course of study. Why does she say this and what does this mean for the future of the human race?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Laurie and his relationship to his father, stepmother, half-sister and grandmother. How do each of these relationships influence Laurie's actions and attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
At one point Martha says that the news should stop broadcasting information about the Tripods but Pa says that censorship isn't the answer. Which is correct and why?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)