|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say is a fundamental weakness of science fiction books?
2. Which of the following was NOT the site of a landing during the initial contact?
3. How many landings of the Tripods were there in the initial contact?
4. How many tentacles do the boys see after the arrival of the tank?
5. Who is the panelist who is critical of the idea that the Tripods don't have infrared capabilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the telephone conversation between Martha and Caroline after Ian's visit.
2. What is the reaction of the boys when the military arrives?
3. What does the article from the Daily Mail suggest about the Trippy Show?
4. What are some of the ways the boys try to explain away the sounds and sight of the Tripod?
5. What does the author say about Will in the book "The City of Gold and Lead?"
6. Briefly describe Andy and Laurie's sighting of the Tripod.
7. What does Ilse say is the situation in Switzerland?
8. What does Laurie say about the attention he and Andy receive because they witnessed the Tripod?
9. What does Laurie say is the difference between his calling Ilse by her name and Andy calling Miranda by her name?
10. Why doesn't Laurie's family see much of his Aunt and Uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you believe the is the strongest character in the story? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reactions of the people of Guernsey to the arrival of Laurie and his group. Compare that to the reactions of the Swiss to their arrival. What is similar? What is different? Which is better?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the efforts of Pa to take the group to Switzerland. How do they finally make it there? Was it a good decision?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)