|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the panelist who is critical of the idea that the Tripods don't have infrared capabilities?
2. What is Laurie doing when Uncle Ian arrives?
3. What does Laurie realize one of the tentacles is doing after the arrival of the tank?
4. Which of the following was NOT the site of a landing during the initial contact?
5. Who is Ilse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurie say about the attention he and Andy receive because they witnessed the Tripod?
2. Why are Laurie and Andy in the shed near the farmhouse when the Tripods arrive?
3. What is Aunt Caroline's reaction when Pa tells her about Angela's hypnosis by the Trippy Show?
4. How much input does the author say he had in the movie project and why does he say that's acceptable?
5. What is the argument Ian and Nathanael give to try to convince Laurie to accept a Cap?
6. What does Ilse say is the situation in Switzerland?
7. What are some of the ways the boys try to explain away the sounds and sight of the Tripod?
8. What does Laurie say is the difference between his calling Ilse by her name and Andy calling Miranda by her name?
9. Briefly describe the Trippy show that Laurie sees for the first time.
10. What does the author say about a science fiction writer's ability to predict the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the reactions of the people of Guernsey to the arrival of Laurie and his group. Compare that to the reactions of the Swiss to their arrival. What is similar? What is different? Which is better?
Essay Topic 2
List and describe the three most important scenes in the story. Be sure to include reasons these scenes are important.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the efforts of Pa to take the group to Switzerland. How do they finally make it there? Was it a good decision?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)