|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wild Bill say he did to another copy of the Daily Mail that addressed Trippies?
2. What is Laurie doing when Uncle Ian arrives?
3. What does Andy see outside the window that he points out to Laurie?
4. Which of the landings was sighted first?
5. What does Andy think might be the source of the sound they hear just after daylight the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ilse offer Laurie cookies and why does he refuse?
2. What are the objections the science fiction writer has to the storyline of the Tripods?
3. What does Ilse say is the situation in Switzerland?
4. What does Caroline say happened to Ian and Nathanael?
5. What does the author say about a science fiction writer's ability to predict the future?
6. What does Laurie say is the difference between his calling Ilse by her name and Andy calling Miranda by her name?
7. What does Wild Bill say each of the Tripods did after they landed the first time?
8. What is Aunt Caroline's reaction when Pa tells her about Angela's hypnosis by the Trippy Show?
9. Describe the encounter between the tank and the Tripod.
10. Briefly describe what happens when the Tripod arrives at the farmhouse.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Trippies? How are their attitudes changed from their personalities. List at least three people who become Trippies. What are their fates?
Essay Topic 2
In the Preface, the author says the biggest challenge to writing science fiction is the inability to predict the future. Do you believe this is true? Support your answer with examples from other literary works.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the first two instances in which Laurie sees a Tripod. What are his reactions to each?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)