|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Pa and Martha drinking while listening to the television broadcasts?
2. Who is Pa's sister?
3. What is on the television when Laurie wakes the following morning?
4. What does Dr. Monmouth do to get Angela over her obsession?
5. Who is Hilda Goossens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurie say about the attention he and Andy receive because they witnessed the Tripod?
2. What does the author say about a science fiction writer's ability to predict the future?
3. Why is the decision made for the family to take the boat out of the country?
4. What does Dr. Monmouth suggest about the Trippy Show and the reason people are being hypnotized by it?
5. What does Pa say were his thoughts and actions when he heard of the Tripod landing?
6. What is the argument Ian and Nathanael give to try to convince Laurie to accept a Cap?
7. Why are Laurie and Andy in the shed near the farmhouse when the Tripods arrive?
8. Briefly describe the Trippy show that Laurie sees for the first time.
9. What does Ilse say is the situation in Switzerland?
10. Describe Laurie's father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Switzerland attempt to prevent the invasion of the Tripods? Are they successful at all? Are their methods honorable? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
As the book comes to an end, Laurie realizes that his exile is a long-term situation and that he has a responsibility to future generations. Describe how he comes to these conclusions and what this could mean for his future.
Essay Topic 3
At one point Martha says that the news should stop broadcasting information about the Tripods but Pa says that censorship isn't the answer. Which is correct and why?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)