|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Martha?
2. How is Angela convinced to leave home at the time the Trippy Show is airing?
3. What does Martha say she wants Pa to do with Uncle Ian's briefcase?
4. How many landings of the Tripods were there in the initial contact?
5. What is on the television when Laurie wakes the following morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the boys when the military arrives?
2. What is the reaction of police when people are reported missing and why?
3. Briefly describe what happens when the Tripod arrives at the farmhouse.
4. What are some of the ways the boys try to explain away the sounds and sight of the Tripod?
5. How does the author say the Tripods came to inhabit the Earth?
6. What is Aunt Caroline's reaction when Pa tells her about Angela's hypnosis by the Trippy Show?
7. What does Dr. Monmouth suggest about the Trippy Show and the reason people are being hypnotized by it?
8. Describe the encounter between the tank and the Tripod.
9. Why does Ilse offer Laurie cookies and why does he refuse?
10. Briefly describe the telephone conversation between Martha and Caroline after Ian's visit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story explores the idea of an alien race using hypnosis to control humans. Is the idea scientifically sound? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Switzerland attempt to prevent the invasion of the Tripods? Are they successful at all? Are their methods honorable? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Who do you believe the is the strongest character in the story? Support your answer.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)