|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fate of the guesthouse after the family leaves it?
(a) It's taken over by the Tripods
(b) It's burned
(c) It's taken over by the Capped
(d) It becomes a jail
2. Who is waiting for the group as they disembark from the train?
(a) No one
(c) Ilse's mother and a servant
(d) The police
3. What is xenophbia?
(a) Fear of spiders
(b) Fear of anything with peanut butter
(c) Fear of Tripods
(d) Fear for foreigners
4. Who does the cooking for the group after Ilse's mother dies?
(a) They take turns
5. Where does Pa say they'll get gas for the boat?
(a) That they can fill up at the marina
(b) He says they don't need any because the tanks are full
(c) That they'll have to wait until they reach Guernsey
(d) That he brought gas with him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela buy Ilse for her birthday gift?
2. What animals are there at the guesthouse?
3. Who is Michael Hardy?
4. What does Ilse's father do all day?
5. Where does Laurie and his family spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurie come to realize about the length of time they'll be remaining in hiding and their purpose?
2. Why is Laurie afraid of putting on the altered Cap?
3. What happens with regard to the Tripod destroyed in the avalanche?
4. What is it about Captain Hardy that makes Laurie question whether being Capped is a bad thing?
5. What are the arguments against trying to destroy the Tripod that patrols near the tunnel?
6. What does Pa say about the reaction of the Swiss at the train station when Laurie and Andy get into a fight?
7. Describe the scene in the airport after the plane lands.
8. How does Laurie compare the final resting places of Ilse's mother and father?
9. Describe how the family gets from Guernsey to Switzerland.
10. What does Pa say about the difference in the attitudes of the young and the old with regard to taking chances?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)