|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pa do that he believes will render the Cap harmless?
(a) Lines it with metal
(b) Pokes holes in it
(c) Removes a battery
(d) Cuts some wires
2. What does Laurie say he sees as the most important task for the group?
(a) Destroying Tripods
(b) Finding ways to destroy Caps
(c) Laying the foundations of freedom for future generations
(d) Keeping food stocked in the tunnels
3. What does Rudi's mother say will soon happen to the study of science?
(a) It will be taught by the Tripods
(b) It will be abandoned
(c) It will focus only on ways to rejuvenate the planet
(d) It will focus only on space exploration
4. Who is waiting for the group as they disembark from the train?
(b) Ilse's mother and a servant
(c) No one
(d) The police
5. What does Laurie say about the reason Tripods don't come until after the snow is melted?
(a) That the Tripods didn't want to lose any more units
(b) That the Tripods couldn't navigate in the snow
(c) That they'd been there earlier but hadn't been seen
(d) That the beacon was buried under the snow
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not seen from the train window?
2. How many people have beat the family to their new location?
3. Where does Pa say they'll get gas for the boat?
4. How does Martha get the money they need for tickets?
5. Who does the cooking for the group after Ilse's mother dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pa say about the reaction of the Swiss at the train station when Laurie and Andy get into a fight?
2. What is it about Captain Hardy that makes Laurie question whether being Capped is a bad thing?
3. Why is Laurie chosen to be the one to wear the altered Cap?
4. What reasons are there for the group to send patrols out farther from the base camp?
5. What are the arguments against trying to destroy the Tripod that patrols near the tunnel?
6. How does Laurie compare the final resting places of Ilse's mother and father?
7. How does that story relate to the current situation, according to Pa?
8. What is the conversation Pa and Andy have about rats?
9. Why are the Swiss people not worried about being invaded prior to the time it actually happens?
10. What is the condition of Ilse's father and how does he spend his days?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)