|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Sarah pleased that Anna did?
(a) Wrote a poem not about a diaster.
(b) Wrote a short story.
(c) Sewed her own skirt.
(d) Polishes Sarah's silver.
2. What do Anna's parents do at the end of Chapter 22?
(a) Leave for England.
(b) Leave for Holland.
(c) Leave for Italy.
(d) Leave for Hollywood.
3. What is so special about Anna's essay?
(a) It is publishable.
(b) It is about fighting Hitler.
(c) It is written in French, her second language.
(d) It shows an understanding of French politics.
4. What is the term the school uses if a child passes a subject way above passing grade?
(a) Passed with honor.
(b) Passed above grade.
(c) Passed with distinction.
(d) Passed with ci-dessus.
5. Why is Anna's mother angry about her gift?
(a) That he didn't ask her first.
(b) That he bought her something to do with which to do work.
(c) That her father spent the money.
(d) That he thought to buy her love.
6. What has to happen in order to pass the French elementary school exam?
(a) Half of the subjects must be passed.
(b) The sections must all be passed with a 95% or better.
(c) All subjects must be passed.
(d) All of the sections have to be completed at least halfway.
7. What does Anna's mother think of public schools for her children?
(a) She thinks they do not teach much.
(b) She thinks they are good enough.
(c) She thinks they will be too difficult with the language barrier.
(d) She has no opinion of the public schools.
8. What is the name of the children's new teacher?
(a) Mademoiselle Martel.
(b) Mademoiselle Desjardin.
(c) Mademoiselle de la Coucel.
(d) Mademoiselle le Turine.
9. What is Anna confident she will do?
(a) Make a lot of friends in school.
(b) Learn how to write like the other students.
(c) Learn French.
(d) Learn English.
10. What was the confrontation with the concierge about?
(a) Paying the rent.
(b) Having him do the shopping.
(c) Having him receive packages.
(d) Allowing children in the lobby.
11. How does Anna's family feel on the boat to England?
(c) Happy and energetic.
12. What is Anna's mother becoming in the house?
(a) Competent in all household affairs.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A fabulous cook.
(d) A little behind in all the work.
13. In what subject does Anna receive the term from question #165?
(c) Physical fitness.
14. What does the woman in question #97 have a difficult time doing?
(a) Keeping up with all her work.
(b) Teaching young children.
(c) Making enough money.
(d) Teaching in German.
15. Who visits Sarah sometimes to play cards?
(a) Some of the neighbors in the lower level apartments.
(b) Ladies from her garden club.
(c) Rich Parisian ladies.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Max feel about learning French?
2. What is happening in France that affects them financially?
3. Why does Anna's family have the Christmas they have in Chapter 20?
4. What is everyone in Anna's household doing in Chapter 20?
5. What has Anna's mother found for her and Max by the end of Chapter 14?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)