|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Onkel Julius tell them about Germany when he visits?
(a) Germany is doing very well economically.
(b) German people are trying to start a revolution.
(c) The Nazis have killed all of his friends.
(d) The Nazis have burned all books of Jewish intellectuals.
2. In Chapter 5, who do they find out will not be joining them?
(a) Onkel Julius.
(b) Fraulein Heimpel.
(c) Anna's grandfather.
(d) Anna's uncle.
3. What does Anna's family hear about her father by the end of Chapter 3?
(a) He is safe.
(b) He has finished his interview.
(c) He has gone to America.
(d) He is coming home.
4. What is the name of Anna's grandmother's dog?
5. What happens to Anna's swollen glands?
(a) They never go back down completely.
(b) They shrink back to normal.
(c) She never had swollen glands.
(d) Some of them rupture.
6. Where has Anna's father gone?
7. What does Anna hear her father say when she is awake one morning?
(a) The Nazis have lost the election.
(b) They are going to America.
(c) The Nazis have won the election.
(d) His brother is stuck in Munich.
8. What has Hitler done with the family's property?
(a) Put a lien on it.
(b) Had it destroyed.
(c) Has it confiscated.
(d) Gave it to a Nazi party member.
9. What are the names of the two German children who come to play with Anna and Max?
(a) Nathen and Oscar.
(b) Michael and Druden.
(c) Siegfried and Gudrun.
(d) They never find out their names.
10. What does Anna's mother have the children do about their father's absence?
(a) Send their grandfather a sympathy card.
(b) Write to him about his assignment.
(c) Swear to keep it a secret.
(d) Watch for strange men hanging out on the street.
11. What does Anna hear her mother talking about with her grandmother?
(a) About the lack of money.
(b) That her father is out of work.
(c) The horrible things happening to Jewish refugees.
(d) That her grandmother is returning to Germany.
12. What color of hair does the boy who chases her have?
13. Who will check their passports when the train stops?
(a) Customs officials.
(b) The train conductor.
(c) The local policia.
(d) The gestapo.
14. What does Anna do before she goes to bed in Chapter 1?
(a) Helps her mother wash dishes.
(b) Gets in a fight with her mother.
(c) Reads a story to her little sister.
(d) Speaks to her father.
15. What profession is the person Anna hears her mother tell her grandmother about?
(a) A professor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Anna's parents talk about going to France?
2. Who explains to Anna and Max where their father is?
3. What type of feelings develop between Anna and Vrenli?
4. From where are the two German children who come to play with Anna and Max?
5. Where does Anna's grandmother live?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)