|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Harrison go by?
2. What college does Mr. Schultz's friend work at?
3. When did this derogatory phrase originate?
4. What do Sophie and Robin do when they are alone at her house after school?
5. What kind of model does Robin have to draw in his third college art class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sophie's ex-boyfriend Dylan think that the relationship between Robin and Sophie is a joke?
2. Why is Robin nervous before his first college art class?
3. Describe Robin Murphy's reputation at his high school when the book begins?
4. Why do you think that Robin uses humor with Sophie to deflect the tension after he is hit by a snowball?
5. Why does Robin say that he has turned Sophie into more of an outcast than an outlaw?
6. Why does Sophie say that she likes being an "outlaw?"
7. Why does Robin start to think about Sophie as he is drawing the naked model?
8. Why does Sophie find so much pleasure in playing the "Wack-A-Mole" game at the arcade?
9. How does Robin react to the first model who takes her clothes off in his art class?
10. What does Robin draw when Mr. Schultz asks the class to draw what mood they are in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire book is written in various forms of poetry. Why do you believe that the author made this choice? Did you find that reading Robin's story in poetic form made the book more enjoyable or less? Why? How would the book have been different if it had been written in traditional prose?
Essay Topic 2
Robin buys a yellow hat from a thrift shop in order to look more like a man in a Renoir painting at the art museum. From that day forward, the hat is with Robin all the time. Give examples of where the hat shows up in the text and what role it plays in those moments. How does the hat serve as a symbol? Why do you believe that Robin is so attached to the hat?
Essay Topic 3
Robin and Sophie have several locations that serve as an escape from the pressures of their high school peers. Name three of those places and describe the significance in their relationship. Why do they choose each place and what makes each one special?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)