|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose apron catches fire at the barbecue?
2. What does Glory deliver to the resort?
3. Mawu had told Lizzie that Mawu was named after whom?
4. Glory gives Lizzie pamphlets on __________________.
5. What does Lizzie want to do before they leave the resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Reenie escaped to and what keeps Lizzie from running away immediately?
2. What does Fran's presence at the Tawawa House mean for Lizzie?
3. Does the author bring closure to Lizzie's story at the end of the novel?
4. How does the African legend of Mawu and Lisa give Lizzie hope for her future?
5. What is the ultimate decision Lizzie makes regarding her pregnancy and her ultimate goal?
6. What is Reenie's position on the survivor spirit in each slave?
7. What is the most obvious reason that Lizzie does not run away from Drayle at the end of the story?
8. What spiritual connection does Mawu feel for Lizzie?
9. Why does Sweet's master behave so cavalierly at her death?
10. Explain the nature of Drayle's character in that he can do much harm under the pretense of doing the right thing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racial prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this book. What are the sources of prejudice in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of racial prejudice. Identify at least two instances of prejudice in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Glory. What is her role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by developing Glory's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)