|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT wish for?
2. In what state does Lizzie live with her master?
3. Mawu feeds Sweet pieces of __________________ dipped in water.
4. What do the women notice about Reenie when they pull her from the water?
5. How many children does Lizzie lose in the epidemic in Georgia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different for Lizzie during the last trip to the Tawawa House?
2. How does Lizzie show her naivete regarding the rape on the ship and Drayle's reaction to it?
3. Why is Lizzie reminded of watching a dog die while lying in the sun after Philip is punished by Drayle?
4. Why is Sweet's death so bittersweet for the women?
5. What does Fran's presence at the Tawawa House mean for Lizzie?
6. Why does Lizzie think that Drayle freed Philip for her sake?
7. What is Reenie's position on aging and freedom?
8. What reasons do the other slaveholders give to Drayle for why he should free Philip?
9. How is Lizzie's bondage on the ship more like a slave than a preferred mistress?
10. What is it about Mawu's personality that allows her to ask Lizzie if Drayle is "God to you"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of racial prejudice. Identify at least two instances of prejudice in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Fran. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are her dreams and fears? What is most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mawu. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are her dreams and fears? What is most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)