|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a place where Lizzie writes the new word she has learned?
(a) In the dirt outside the house.
(b) In blood on parchment paper.
(c) In flour on a table while baking bread.
(d) The dust on the mantle.
2. Why is Lizzie jealous of Fran?
(a) Lizzie wishes she was thin like Fran is.
(b) Lizzie wishes she could have some of Fran's books.
(c) Lizzie has never been able to sleep with her own children.
(d) Lizzie wishes she could have some of her jewelry.
3. What does Fran do to spoil Lizzie's children?
(a) She gives them their freedom.
(b) She gives them root beer every day.
(c) She lets them sleep in her bed.
(d) She gives them a pony.
4. What aspect of pregnancy is particularly difficult for Lizzie?
(a) Sore breasts.
5. Which slave complains when the overseer's wife takes over when the overseer breaks his leg?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Drayle bring to Lizzie on the first night he visits her at the plantation?
2. Which of the following does Fran NOT do for Lizzie's children?
3. What recipe does Lizzie want Mawu to give her?
4. Who hits the man in #87 over the head with a skillet?
5. Why does Drayle come to Lizzie's room frequently?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lizzie's relationship with Drayle.
2. Who is Mawu?
3. What does Dessie mean when she tells Lizzie that, "You don't know what you done brung in this house," and what is revealed about Lizzie's naivete?
4. What are some reasons for Baby's sexual assault on Lizzie?
5. Why are Lizzie's children pushed aside when Fran's nephew, Billy, arrives for a visit?
6. Why is Fran's relationship with Lizzie's children especially hurtful to Lizzie?
7. What is the setting for the story and who are the six slaves who appear as the story begins?
8. What was Drayle's crime in seducing Lizzie and what was the most probable reason for his slow manner?
9. Explain how the author implies that Drayle is God to Lizzie.
10. Why are the Drayles' slaves afraid when Fran threatens to sell Lizzie?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)