|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname is given to Lizzie's daughter?
(b) Little Bit.
2. Why does the man in the black hat want the money back that he has paid for Lizzie?
(a) He discovers that she has a club foot.
(b) She is not strong enough to work.
(c) He thinks she is sick.
(d) He learns that she can read and write.
3. Which of the slave children does Yancy especially admire?
4. Why does Drayle move Lizzie back into the big house?
(a) She is to teach his children.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She will be Fran's maid.
(d) She is to help with the cooking.
5. Who convinces Drayle to let the slaves have Sundays off?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the cabin located?
2. Why does Drayle threaten Lizzie one night that he could have dozens of slave women in the barracks?
3. Who is the slave Lizzie once fancied?
4. Which one of the slave women is not happy about the event with the masters?
5. Who does Drayle hire as overseer on the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Fran's relationship with Lizzie's children especially hurtful to Lizzie?
2. What are two possible reasons that Fran decides to sell Lizzie?
3. How important are the physical looks of Lizzie's children in Fran's world?
4. Why does Fran's behavior fluctuate between listlessness and determination throughout the book?
5. Explain Lizzie's relationship with Drayle.
6. Why are the slave women brought to the Ohio resort and what type of status do they have in Ohio and back on their plantations?
7. Who is Mawu?
8. Explain what the author means by "Reenie's look"?
9. Explain how the author implies that Drayle is God to Lizzie.
10. In what ways do the white men show their disrespect for the slave women at the dinner party?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)