|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lizzie do everything that Drayle insists on sexually while she is pregnant?
(a) She is very sexually excited by him.
(b) She is afraid he will sleep with other slave women.
(c) She is bored with other men.
(d) She is afraid that he will beat her if she refuses.
2. What day of the week do the slaves get off from their duties?
3. Why does the man in the black hat want the money back that he has paid for Lizzie?
(a) He discovers that she has a club foot.
(b) He learns that she can read and write.
(c) She is not strong enough to work.
(d) He thinks she is sick.
4. What does Fran do to Lizzie to show her displeasure with her?
(a) Pinches her.
(b) Whips her.
(c) Slaps her.
(d) Trips her.
5. Who is Reenie's master?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves are sitting outside a cabin talking and chewing on flowers as the novel begins?
2. With whom does Lizzie visit when the other slave women ostracize her?
3. Why does Drayle send Lizzie and her children to move to the slave quarters?
4. What are Mawu's distinguishing characteristics?
5. In which state do the slaves vacation with their masters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two possible reasons that Fran decides to sell Lizzie?
2. Who is Big Mama and what is her relationship with Fran?
3. Explain Lizzie's relationship with Drayle.
4. What does the character of Glory represent in the story?
5. Why are Lizzie's children pushed aside when Fran's nephew, Billy, arrives for a visit?
6. Who is Mawu?
7. Why does Lizzie begin to beat her children after they are abandoned by Fran?
8. How important are the physical looks of Lizzie's children in Fran's world?
9. What are some reasons for Baby's sexual assault on Lizzie?
10. How does Lizzie's relationship with Drayle negatively affect the other slaves such as Jeremiah who attempt to interact with Drayle just as Lizzie does?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)