|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tip?
(a) Mawu's brother.
(b) Mawu's master.
(c) Lizzie's son.
(d) Philip's brother.
2. Why does Drayle come to Lizzie's room frequently?
(a) He just likes to tell her about his day.
(b) He wants to give her reading instructions.
(c) He enjoys listening to her play the piano.
(d) He asks her to perform oral sex on him.
3. Who is the only woman Mawu knows who might be able to help her get away from her master?
4. Which kind of slave is the most dangerous in the South?
(a) A rebellious one.
(b) An ignorant one.
(c) An informed one.
(d) A bitter one.
5. What does Lizzie tell Drayle is her greatest wish?
(a) To meet her blood sister.
(b) To live in Michigan.
(c) To get married.
(d) To have a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mawu's distinguishing characteristics?
2. Why does the event with the masters take place in an attic?
3. What does Drayle do that angers Fran?
4. What name is given to Lizzie's son?
5. Who convinces Drayle to let the slaves have Sundays off?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lizzie's relationship with Drayle negatively affect the other slaves such as Jeremiah who attempt to interact with Drayle just as Lizzie does?
2. Why are the Drayles' slaves afraid when Fran threatens to sell Lizzie?
3. How does Drayle treat Fran regarding his relationship with Lizzie and why does Fran have no recourse for his actions?
4. What is Mawu's life like with her master, Tip, on the plantation?
5. Who is Big Mama and what is her relationship with Fran?
6. Why is Fran's relationship with Lizzie's children especially hurtful to Lizzie?
7. Who is Mawu?
8. How important are the physical looks of Lizzie's children in Fran's world?
9. How does Philip view Lizzie's relationship with Drayle and why won't Philip allow any contact between himself and Lizzie?
10. What is the setting for the story and who are the six slaves who appear as the story begins?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)