|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lizzie learn about what happens to Mawu?
(a) She buys her freedom.
(b) She gets to Canada.
(c) She is caught.
(d) She makes her way to New York.
2. Who is the cook at the Tawawa House who befriends Lizzie?
3. What is Sweet doing when the slave women go to her cabin?
(a) She is in the fetal position on the floor.
(b) She is reading poems.
(c) She is naked and lying on her bed.
(d) She is cooking.
4. What does Mawu give to Lizzie before she leaves?
(a) A potion.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A pamphlet.
(d) A map of safe houses.
5. What craft did Big Mama do and eventually lost her eyes?
6. Lizzie recalls Reenie's story about having the tip of her finger cut off because _____________________.
(a) She tried to run away.
(b) She was hiding a reading primer in her skirt.
(c) She tried to write her name.
(d) She was caught stealing apples.
7. What does Glory deliver to the resort?
(b) Clean laundry.
(c) Fresh produce.
8. What does Philip offer to do for Lizzie when he meets her?
(a) Find her a husband.
(b) Give her some money.
(c) Help her escape.
(d) Find her a job.
9. What do some of the white women do while Philip is chained to a tree?
(a) Tend to his wounds.
(b) Bring him food and water.
(c) Throw pieces of bread at him.
(d) Have a picnic and watch him.
10. What does Lizzie consider regarding Rabbit?
(a) What skills she should teach her.
(b) How many babies she would have.
(c) Who she would marry.
(d) If she could buy her freedom someday.
11. What song do the women sing at Sweet's burial?
(a) The Old Rugged Cross.
(b) Mary Had a Baby.
(c) How Great Thou Art.
(d) Amazing Grace.
12. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT wish for?
(a) That she could be with Reenie and Mawu.
(b) That Reenie and Mawu make it to Canada.
(c) That she could return to her children.
(d) That she will have more children with Drayle.
13. Where does Reenie now work as a maid?
(d) New York.
14. What does Sweet ask the slave women to help her bury in memory of her daughter who has died?
(a) A black dress.
(b) A photograph.
(c) A ribbon.
(d) A locket.
15. What has Drayle forbidden Lizzie to do?
(a) Call him by his first name.
(b) Buy a new dress.
(c) Tend to Philip chained to a tree.
(d) Have an abortion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refreshment does Fran get for Lizzie and herself in the middle of the night?
2. What name does Glory plan to give her child?
3. What consumes Lizzie's thoughts as they prepare to leave the resort?
4. What favor does Lizzie ask of Drayle?
5. What does Lizzie give Philip before he leaves with the barber?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)