|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lizzie give to Mawu before she leaves?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A Bible.
(c) Some money.
(d) The letter from Reenie.
2. What is the name of the steamship on which Drayle, Philip and Lizzie travel?
(a) New Orleans.
3. What do the slave women at the resort gather for Sweet?
(a) Pine cones.
4. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT wish for?
(a) That she will have more children with Drayle.
(b) That she could be with Reenie and Mawu.
(c) That Reenie and Mawu make it to Canada.
(d) That she could return to her children.
5. Where does Lizzie sleep during this visit to the resort?
(a) The attic over the kitchen.
(b) A shed.
(c) The kitchen in the cottage.
(d) A tiny cottage.
6. What animal does Mawu use in a voodoo ritual at Sweet's burial?
7. Why does Mawu want Glory to "fix" her?
(a) She wants to play the piano.
(b) She needs a salve for a skin rash.
(c) She doesn't want any more children.
(d) She wants to read and write.
8. What disease is of epidemic proportions in the state in #103?
(c) Scarlet Fever.
9. How is Sweet buried?
(a) Her body is placed directly in the ground.
(b) Her body is cremated.
(c) Her body is placed in the river.
(d) Her body is placed in a pine casket.
10. Which of the slave women is afraid to go swimming?
11. Whose cottage catches fire on the night of the barbecue?
(a) Lizzie and Drayle's.
(b) Philip and Virginia's.
(c) Sir and Reenie's.
(d) Tip and Mawu's.
12. Why is Philip beaten and punished?
(a) He sneaked food to a poor family.
(b) He tried to kill Drayle.
(c) He tried to run away.
(d) He sneaked out to see Virginia.
13. What does Lizzie do in hopes of terminating her pregnancy?
(a) Throws herself down a flight of stairs.
(b) Drinks a special tea.
(c) Goes horseback riding.
(d) Falls into a ravine.
14. How many of Sweet's children have died in a year?.
15. What has Drayle forbidden Lizzie to do?
(a) Have an abortion.
(b) Tend to Philip chained to a tree.
(c) Call him by his first name.
(d) Buy a new dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sweet doing when the slave women go to her cabin?
2. What is the profession of the father of the girl in #99?
3. What has Drayle not told Fran?
4. What does Lizzie learn about what happens to Mawu?
5. In what state does Lizzie live with her master?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)