|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Suzannah's second son?
2. When was Jomo Kenyatta born?
3. How many wives does the village carpenter have?
4. What city can be seen in the distance from the hill at Njoroge's home?
5. What word in Chapter 5 refers to an uncircumcised man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time has passed in the "Interlude" between Parts 1 and 2 of the novel? What tone is established in this brief chapter?
2. What does the land represent to Ngotho in the novel?
3. How does Njoroge feel about attending school? How does he discover he will attend in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 1?
4. Who is Kiarie and what information does he relate in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 6?
5. How does Njoroge describe Stephen Howlands in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 4?
6. What event is described as happening in Murang'a in the "Interlude"? Why is it significant?
7. Why does Lucia become upset when the white woman visits her classroom in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 5?
8. How does the narrator describe Ngotho's change in demeanor in the conclusion of Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 8?
9. How is the relationship between Ngotho and Mr. Howlands depicted in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 3?
10. Who are the members of Njoroge's family? To whom is he closest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Mr. Howlands as an antagonist in Weep Not, Child. How does Mr. Howlands' character change between Parts 1 and 2 of the novel? What incurs these changes? What are the primary motivators of Mr. Howlands?
Essay Topic 2
Outline and analyze the plot structure of Weep Not, Child. Where in the novel does the inciting action occur? Where is the climax of the narrative? How would you describe the tone of the novel's falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Njoroge as the protagonist of Weep Not, Child. How old is Njoroge when the novel begins? How old is he when it ends? What transformation does Njoroge's character undertake in the course of the story?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)