|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in describing the night of Mr. Howland's death, it is stated that "He had discovered that" who "could be a good relief" (128)?
(a) "Black men."
(b) "White men."
(c) "White women."
(d) "Black women."
2. How is the Siriana Secondary School described by the narrator in the opening of Chapter 14 (108)?
(a) "A wave of peace in a tide of conflict."
(b) "An adobe of peace in a turbulent country."
(c) "A lone beacon on the horizon of fear."
(d) "A haven of intellect in an ignorant landscape."
3. What does Mwihaki say firmly to Njoroge as they part in Chapter 13 (106)?
(a) "You will do well."
(b) "I will wait for you."
(c) "You are my brother."
(d) "Do not forget me."
4. Where did Njoroge attend school before coming to his high school?
(a) Kikuyuland Intermediate School.
(b) Kamahou Intermediate School.
(c) Nyeri Intermediate School.
(d) Kiarie Intermediate School.
5. Where does Njoroge go first every day after roll call at school in Chapter 15?
(a) To the garden.
(b) To the dining hall.
(c) To the chapel.
(d) To class.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the roof of the office in which Mr. Howlands sits described in Chapter 10?
2. Mwihaki tells Njoroge in Chapter 13, "When people go away, they tend to" do what (105)?
3. What is described in Chapter 12 as "the only thing that could now give [Boro] fire and boldness" (102)?
4. What object led Mr. Howlands to the discovery of who murdered Jacobo?
5. How long has it been since the death of Ngotho and Mr. Howlands in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Njoroge perceive his fellow students and teachers at the Siriana Secondary School?
2. What is the dynamic between Mwihaki and Njoroge when they meet on the hill in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 13?
3. What does the narrator say the Mau Mau represent to Mr. Howlands in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 10?
4. To what school is Mwihaki assigned after passing K.A.P.E. in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 13? Why?
5. How does Mwihaki describe her home life in her letter in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 14?
6. What is revealed in the message that Jacobo presents to Mr. Howlands in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 12? How does Mr. Howlands respond?
7. How has Mr. Howlands come to feel about his work in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 12?
8. Where does Stephen tell Njoroge he is going in a month in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 14? How does he feel about it?
9. How is the headmaster of the Siriana Secondary School described in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 15?
10. What bad omens are described in the beginning of Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 15?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)