|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term from the novel refers to a man's habitation, such as the one belonging to Njoroge's father?
2. Who is the male teacher that Njoroge recalls teaching his first lesson in school?
3. Who is Lucia's mother?
4. Who is the big son of Jacobo?
5. Boro tells his brother Kori that he was one of how many who escaped in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Njoroge associate the Gikuyu people in Chapter 5?
2. What word in Chapter 5 refers to an uncircumcised man?
3. With what hero from the Bible does Njoroge admire and often identify himself?
4. Who does Kamau say Boro called Jomo in Chapter 5?
5. What have Kamau's wages been raised to in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Ngotho commit during the strike meeting that causes conflict in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 7?
2. What is K.A.U. and how is it described in the narrative?
3. Where is the setting established in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 1? During what time period is the story set?
4. What does the land represent to Ngotho in the novel?
5. Who is Mwihaki and how did Njoroge come to know her?
6. How is the relationship between Ngotho and Mr. Howlands depicted in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 3?
7. Why does the strike cause conflict in Njoroge's home in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 6?
8. Who is Kiarie and what information does he relate in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 6?
9. How did his service in the war change Boro?
10. What does Nairobi represent symbolically to Njoroge and others in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 5?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)