|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sits next to Ngotho at the meeting on the first day of the strike?
(c) The barber.
2. What did Ngotho pay for his son to become an apprentice to the village carpenter?
(a) A chicken and 50 shillings.
(b) His first-born daughter's hand in marriage.
(c) A cow and 100 shillings.
(d) A goat and 150 shillings.
3. What is the answer when the teachers asks of the sound "U-u-u-u-u-u" "What animal says this?" (34)?
(a) A dog.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A cow.
4. When was Jomo Kenyatta born?
5. What grade are Njoroge and Mwihaki in when the begin to learn English in Chapter 5?
(a) Standard III.
(b) Standard V.
(c) Standard VI.
(d) Standard IV.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ngotho's first wife?
2. Who arranged the meeting in the market place that Njoroge recalls in the "Interlude"?
3. What is Kamau apprenticeshipping to become in Chapter 1?
4. What has Jacobo chosen to do after the incident at the strike meeting in Chapter 7?
5. Who says of Jomo in Chapter 9, "It knew he would lose. I always said that all white men are the same. His lawyers must have been bribed" (74)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the home of Njoroge described? How many huts are there?
2. What are Njoroge's reasons for avoiding Mwihaki in the beginning of Part 1: "The Waning Light"?
3. How does Karanja describe Mau Mau in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 9?
4. What event is described as happening in Murang'a in the "Interlude"? Why is it significant?
5. Where is the setting established in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 1? During what time period is the story set?
6. How is the relationship between Ngotho and Mr. Howlands depicted in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 3?
7. What is the political atmosphere of Njoroge's homeland in the opening of the novel?
8. What is the twist ending of Karanja's story about Dedan Kimathi in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 8?
9. Who is Kiarie and what information does he relate in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 6?
10. What does the barber symbolize in the novel?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)