|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Njoroge realize the European woman was who came to his English class in Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Howland's daughter.
(b) Ngotho's adoptive mother.
(c) Kori's fiancee.
(d) Isaka's wife.
2. How does Njoroge end up in Mwihaki's class in Chapter 4?
(a) He is held back for one grade.
(b) He is demoted one grade.
(c) He is promoted one grade.
(d) He is sent to the girls' school.
3. When did Jomo Kenyatta die?
4. Jacobo is said to be the first black man allowed to grow what crop in the area?
(a) Black tea.
(c) Green tea.
5. For whom did the Kenyans fight in the second Big War?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The British.
(c) The French.
(d) The Italians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the answer when the teachers asks of the sound "U-u-u-u-u-u" "What animal says this?" (34)?
2. Who shouts in the end of Chapter 9, "Never! Never! Black people must rise up and fight" (75)?
3. Where has the chief been killed in the "Interlude"?
4. What oath does the narrator say Ngotho would not take at his son's hand or instruction in Chapter 8?
5. What have Kamau's wages been raised to in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Jacobo and Mr. Howlands' positions within the community changed in Part 2: "Darkness Falls"?
2. Who are the members of Njoroge's family? To whom is he closest?
3. How does Njoroge feel about attending school? How does he discover he will attend in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 1?
4. How did his service in the war change Boro?
5. Who is Kiarie and what information does he relate in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 6?
6. How is the home of Njoroge described? How many huts are there?
7. What does Nairobi represent symbolically to Njoroge and others in Part 1: "The Waning Light," Chapter 5?
8. How does Karanja describe Mau Mau in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 9?
9. How does the narrator describe Ngotho's change in demeanor in the conclusion of Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 8?
10. What are Njoroge's reasons for avoiding Mwihaki in the beginning of Part 1: "The Waning Light"?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)