|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many threatening notes does Jacobo tell Mr. Howlands he had received before the one he shows him in Chapter 12?
2. With what does Njoroge intend to kill himself in Chapter 18?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A cord.
(c) An axe.
(d) A knife.
3. Of the women at the market, the narrator states that Njoroge "did not want to look at them in the face because he thought they would see the dreams of his boyhood and" do what (126)?
(a) "Mock him."
(b) "Laugh at him."
(c) "Pity him."
(d) "Weep for him."
4. Whom will Njoroge be taught by at Siriana Secondary School for the first time?
(b) Black men.
(c) White men.
5. The narrator states in Chapter 12 that Mr. Howlands wants is to bring Ngotho to what?
(a) His land in America.
(b) Submissive humiliation.
(c) Understanding of authority.
(d) His home in England.
6. In Chapter 16, the narrator describes Njoroge as seeing himself as an old man of what age?
7. To whom does Ngotho tell Boro to turn his eyes as he dies in Chapter 16?
(a) His mother and brother.
(d) Murungu and Ruriri.
8. The narrator states in Chapter 15 of Mr. Howlands, "For Ngotho had become for him a symbol of" what (120)?
(a) "The savages who walked the earth."
(b) "Good versus evil."
(c) "Evil that now stood in his path."
(d) "Men who made him ashamed."
9. Who dom the officers ask Njoroge if he knows in Chapter 15?
10. The narrator states in Chapter 10 that there is only one god for Mr. Howlands and that is what?
(a) His domination.
(b) His farm.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His family.
11. Who are facing murder charges for the death of Mr. Howlands?
(a) Kiarie and Lucia.
(b) Boro and Kamau.
(c) Kori and Memsahib.
(d) Kiarie and Mwangi.
12. What did Boro's father find him out to be, according to Ngotho in Chapter 16?
(a) A monster.
(b) A useless father.
(c) A traitor.
(d) A coward.
13. What is Njoroge's first impulse when he learns that he will be able to attend high school in Chapter 13?
(a) To ask his father's permission.
(b) To thank God.
(c) To sign up.
(d) To write to his mother.
14. Before Njoroge started school, he was lent to his distant uncle to help him in doing what?
(a) Picking strawberries.
(b) Looking after cattle.
(c) Picking pyrithrem.
(d) Maintaining his shop.
15. Where does Njoroge believe Mwihaki's brother has gone in Chapter 13?
(a) South Africa.
(b) Great Britain.
(c) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people, including the barber, were taken from their houses three nights ago and killed, according to Kamau in Chapter 11?
2. For how long has Njoroge worked for the Indian at the market in Chapter 16?
3. In her letter to Njoroge in Chapter 14, Mwihaki tells him that in their home village, there is not so much a fear of death as a fear of what (112)?
4. What is the name of the homeguard post where Njoroge is summoned in Chapter 15?
5. In Chapter 14, Stephen says, "And when you are walking in Nairobi or in the country, though the sky may be clear and the sun smiling, you are still not free to enjoy the friendliness of the sky because you are aware of" what (110-111)?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)