|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator notes in Chapter 13, "Somehow the Gikuyu people always saw their deliverance as embodied in" what (104)?
2. What does the line from this hymn from Chapter 12 translate to in English (as expressed in the next verse)? "Nitugu-u-kugoca Je-e-Jesu" (99)?
(a) "I praise, thee Father Jesus."
(b) "Jesus Thy blood cleans away my sins."
(c) "We praise you Jesus."
(d) "Jesus the Lamb of God."
3. Who suggests to Njoroge that he stay in school despite the letter in Chapter 10?
4. In Chapter 16, the narrator describes Njoroge as seeing himself as an old man of what age?
5. Where does Njoroge suggest he and Mwihaki meet on Sunday in Chapter 11?
(a) At school.
(b) At the hill.
(c) At her house.
(d) At church.
6. Of Mr. Howlands, the narrator says in Chapter 10, "To submit to his wife was to listen to the voice of" what (77)?
7. What object led Mr. Howlands to the discovery of who murdered Jacobo?
(a) A gun.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A knife.
(d) A rope.
8. What word in the narrative refers to a truck?
9. Where is Mwihaki assigned to go to school after not scoring very well on her Secondary School testing?
(a) A teacher training school.
(b) A secretarial school.
(c) A culinary school.
(d) An arts and performance school.
10. Where did the teacher Isaka go the year before Njoroge finished the first school?
11. When does Stephen tell Njoroge that he will be moving away with his family when they first talk in Chapter 14?
(a) Next year.
(b) Next month.
(c) Next week.
(d) Next semester.
12. Who is the letter on the school purportedly from in Chapter 10?
13. How do those in the hut with Ngotho respond when he dies, according to the narrator in Chapter 16?
(a) No one cries.
(b) His sons cry out.
(c) His wives begin wailing.
(d) Everyone cries.
14. What is Njoroge's first class of the day in Chapter 15?
15. What is described in Chapter 12 as "the only thing that could now give [Boro] fire and boldness" (102)?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boro refer to as "a law of nature" in Chapter 12 (102)?
2. Where does Njoroge go first every day after roll call at school in Chapter 15?
3. Before Njoroge started school, he was lent to his distant uncle to help him in doing what?
4. What does Mwihaki claim to be the aspect that holds her to her homeland in Chapter 18?
5. What is described in Chapter 14 as a famous school for European boys?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)