|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Njoroge realize the European woman was who came to his English class in Chapter 5?
(a) Ngotho's adoptive mother.
(b) Kori's fiancee.
(c) Isaka's wife.
(d) Mr. Howland's daughter.
2. Who says of Jomo in Chapter 9, "It knew he would lose. I always said that all white men are the same. His lawyers must have been bribed" (74)?
3. In what season does Njoroge's homeland become green and adorned with white flowers?
(a) Sugarcane season.
(b) Coffee season.
(c) Njahi season.
(d) Maize season.
4. With whom does Njoroge associate Adam from the Bible?
5. What is Kamau apprenticeshipping to become in Chapter 1?
(a) A tailor.
(b) A miller.
(c) A baker.
(d) A carpenter.
6. According to Karanja's story in Chapter 8, at what time did Dedan Kimathi say he would visit the police station in Nyeri?
(a) 10:30 a.m.
(b) 3:30 p.m.
(c) 2:10 p.m.
(d) 9:00 a.m.
7. What does Njoroge recall a young Indian boy giving him, causing his mother to rebuke him, in Chapter 4?
(a) A candy.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A shirt.
(d) A loaf of bread.
8. Who shouts in the end of Chapter 9, "Never! Never! Black people must rise up and fight" (75)?
9. What is Njoroge listening for when he falls asleep in the end of Chapter 6?
(a) The wolf howling.
(b) The voice of his sister.
(c) The voice of God.
(d) His mother crying.
10. How does Njoroge end up in Mwihaki's class in Chapter 4?
(a) He is held back for one grade.
(b) He is sent to the girls' school.
(c) He is demoted one grade.
(d) He is promoted one grade.
11. Where did Mwihaki's father learn English?
12. What does Nyokabi tell Njoroge she will buy him when his father gets paid in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) A pair of pants and a suit jacket.
(b) A shirt and a pair of shorts.
(c) A pair of pants and a sweater.
(d) A calico.
13. Dedan Kimathi is referred to as the leader of what group in Chapter 8?
(a) The Abyei Liberation Front.
(b) The Kenyan Liberation Front.
(c) The African Freedom Army.
(d) Alliance of Revolutionary Forces of Kenya.
14. Where has the chief been killed in the "Interlude"?
15. What grade are Njoroge and Mwihaki in when the begin to learn English in Chapter 5?
(a) Standard V.
(b) Standard VI.
(c) Standard IV.
(d) Standard III.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mwihaki discover when she rushes home to announced she has passed in school in Chapter 7?
2. Who leads Njoroge to school on his first day in Chapter 2?
3. What have Kamau's wages been raised to in Chapter 7?
4. How many wives does the village carpenter have?
5. The narrator states in Chapter 9, "To [Ngotho] Jomo stood for custom and tradition purified by grace of learning and" what (74)?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)