|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the brothers have to go with Paps to work in Chapter 11, NIGHT WATCH?
(a) Because Ma is asleep at home, and they will wake her.
(b) Because Paps is afraid the boys will get in trouble.
(c) Because Ma is working too, and no one is at home to watch them.
(d) Because Paps needs extra help.
2. How old is Ma when she gives birth to Manny?
3. What are Ma and Paps doing in the bathroom while the brothers bathe in Chapter 10, YOU BETTER COME??
(a) Ma is doing her make-up, and Paps is fixing the plumbing.
(b) Flirting and playing with each other.
(c) Arguing about money.
(d) Ma and Paps are both washing the boys.
4. Why do the brothers have to get up quickly and leave Paps' work in Chapter 11, NIGHT WATCH?
(a) Because Paps' co-worker shows up to take over.
(b) Because Paps' does not want them to see him cheating on Ma.
(c) Because Paps' is late to his second job.
(d) Because Paps' shift is over.
5. How does Ma feel about the phone ringing in Chapter 9, TALK TO ME?
(d) She shows no emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile is used to compare Paps' shouting on Page 23?
2. How does Ma respond when Manny asks worriedly if Paps is having a heart attack in Chapter 9, TALK TO ME?
3. What is the weather like when the narrator's family goes to the lake?
4. At the start of Chapter 6, US PROPER, what do the three brothers create by stacking up on one another's shoulders?
5. What does Lina call Ma after arriving at the narrator's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Ma asks the brothers if they think it is funny when men beat women, the narrator retreats to a window and looks into he sun and says, "I could not blind myself" (16). How does this statement contribute to the nature of the narrator's desires?
2. Why does Ma not want the narrator to get older like his other brothers?
3. How do you know that the narrator and his brothers are ravenous for more life according to the first page of the novel?
4. At the end of Chapter 10, NIGHT WATCH, Paps says,"We're never going to escape this...Never" (60). What is he sure the narrator's family will not escape?
5. Having the knowledge of Ma's grueling work schedule and unstable behavior, why might the narrator say after Ma awakes confused, "It was a Sunday, but no one told Ma that" (5)?
6. Why is the narrator confused when Ma asks him why he is unable to swim in Chapter 5, LAKE?
7. How does the narrator differentiate the brothers' behavior in relation to when Ma is awake or asleep?
8. How come Ma does not answer Paps' phone calls in Chapter 9, TALK TO ME?
9. What personality traits and behaviors are both implicitly and explicitly conveyed through the description of the brothers' behaviors in the opening Chapters? How do you come to these conclusions?
10. How does the narrator feel when Paps and Ma discover him after the narrator nearly drowns in the lake?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)