|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hazel see as he rises above the earth?
2. Which of the following is a rumor about the General?
3. What kind of animal tries to attack Hazel?
4. Who guides the rabbits to safety?
5. What happens to the Efrafa rabbits who disappear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the difference between the characters of Bigwig and Hazel.
1) What is it about Bigwig's character that makes him use violence to get people to obey? In what way is Bigwig used to using violence?
2) What is it about Hazel's character that makes him peaceful?
3) In what way do the students think both Hazel's diplomacy and Bigwig's aggressive behavior could come in useful?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Adams use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Besides the main characters, examine the way Adams uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and remove them from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the story as an allegory.
1) What is the story an allegory of and what signifies it is an allegory?
2) In 300 words write why it is either an effective or ineffective allegory?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)