|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As what does El-ahrairah disguise himself?
2. Where do they find Fiver feeding?
3. For what can the rabbits use the empty holes?
4. Who sees the floating piece of wood?
5. through what did Toadflex and Pimpernel escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Blackberry and Dandelion get the dog to the warren?
2. What mistake does Woundwort make in chapter 46?
3. What qualities does Bigwig show in chapter 38?
4. What does Hazel learn about humans in chapter 48?
5. What positives have the rabbits taken from the previous warren?
6. What have the rabbits learned since the beginning of the story?
7. In what way does Hazel use the qualities of his rabbit team?
8. What does the black rabbit represent?
9. How does Bigwig get a message to Kehaar?
10. Why has Hazel chosen Bigwig as the third warren's leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Adams' characters are? Select one of the minor characters and discuss how much you know about his or her background. In what ways does Adams provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Richard Adams based his account of Watership Down on actual rabbit behavior and using a book called the private life of rabbits. Examine rabbit behavior in the book Private Life of Rabbits by Ronald Lockley and discuss the following.
1) How accurate is Adams portrayal of rabbits and their habitats?
2) What changes does he make to actual facts and why does he make these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1970s? How does Adams express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)