|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yazmin cancels her students' next listening report, what does she assign them to do instead?
2. What does ChutesAndLadders tell Fountainhead that he will have to put aside if he wants to stand a chance at getting sober?
3. At which shop does Elliot work, in addition to his part-time work as an actor?
4. What metaphor does Orangutan use to describe her feelings about her own identity whilst in Sapporo?
5. What role does Elliot want Yazmin to take on during Ginny's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elliot try to lessen the pain caused by his wounded leg now that he no longer takes pain medication?
2. What is the significance of the Ghost breathing on Elliot at the end of Scene 6 and knocking him down?
3. For what transgression against Ginny does Elliot feel the most guilty and why?
4. What is the reason for Clay/ChutesandLadders' surprise at Madeleine/Orangutan's appearance in the Addiction Support forum in Scene Two?
5. What behaviors of Ginny's near the end of her life are upsetting Elliot so much that he enlists Yazmin's help?
6. How does Odessa/Haikumom handle her job as site administrator and what are her duties?
7. What label does Clay/ChutesandLadders insist that John/Fountainhead apply to himself and why does he insist on this admission?
8. How does Odessa/Haikumom's reaction to John/Fountainhead's first post contrast with the reactions of the other regular forum members?
9. What is the subject of Yazmin's lecture to her music theory class?
10. What is ironic about Elliot's comment upon Ginny's death when he says that Odessa/Haikumom is shutting herself off from the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the playwright's use of light as a motif within the play Water by the Spoonful. How is the motif used and what messages are sent through the scenes in which the motif appears? Back up your points with quotes from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Explicate the playwright's use of the mother archetype within the play's events. What different types of mothers are portrayed and what is the ultimate message the playwright is sending concerning motherhood? Use examples and concrete details from the play to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
What is the play's overall message concerning the inevitability of the past's hold on humans' current identities? Create a clear and specific claim stating the playwright's message and back up your points with carefully chosen scenes and quotes from the play.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)