|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elliot do with the eggs when Ginny goes to the bathroom?
2. What is NOT one thing that Orangutan lists among the items that she buys with her paychecks from teaching?
3. For what government agency does ChutesAndLadders work?
4. What reason does Elliot give the professor for not wanting to do interviews about his military experiences?
5. In what language is Elliot's most recent commercial broadcast upon its release?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Ghost breathing on Elliot at the end of Scene 6 and knocking him down?
2. Discuss the Ghost's role as a theatrical externalization within the play.
3. What is ironic about Elliot's comment upon Ginny's death when he says that Odessa/Haikumom is shutting herself off from the world?
4. What is the reason for Clay/ChutesandLadders' surprise at Madeleine/Orangutan's appearance in the Addiction Support forum in Scene Two?
5. What does Elliot consider inappropriate about the method his father uses to let him know that his adoptive mother Ginny has been placed on life support?
6. What is the subject of Yazmin's lecture to her music theory class?
7. What do the stage directions say the actors should be doing while chatting online with one another?
8. How does the audience learn of Elliot's volatile temper within Scene Three when he learns that his mother Ginny is on life support?
9. What behaviors of Ginny's near the end of her life are upsetting Elliot so much that he enlists Yazmin's help?
10. How does Odessa/Haikumom's reaction to John/Fountainhead's first post contrast with the reactions of the other regular forum members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message does the play send to the audience about the nature and defintion of family? Create a specific, arguable, and clear claim stating the play's message concerning the nature and definition of family and use concrete details to back up your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of water within Water by the Spoonful. In what instances does water emerge, what patterns are present in its emergence, and what messages are sent through its overall portrayal? Use concrete details from the play to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the play's title and how does it intertwine with many themes within the play? Choose at least three themes represented by the play's title and use concrete details from particular scenes to support your claims.
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)