|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
2. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
3. What does Janie feel for Joe as he dies?
4. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
5. Who tells Janie about this rumor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
2. Describe Joe's funeral.
3. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
4. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
5. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
6. What is Janie's first impression of Tea Cake in Chapter 10?
7. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
8. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
9. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
10. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the horizon as a symbol in the novel. What is it a symbol of? Does its symbolism change at all? If so, how? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss violence as a theme in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Is it shown in a positive or acceptable light? Explain how Janie's reaction to the violent situations she experiences reveal something about her character. Would the violence in the novel be acceptable today?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)