|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janie's maiden name?
2. What does Janie find difficult about tending the store?
3. Why does the house have no roof?
4. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
5. Whose house has no roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
2. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
3. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
4. What is Janie's first impression of Tea Cake in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
6. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
7. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
8. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
9. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
10. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel are static? Which characters are dynamic? How do the two different types of characters contribute to the evolution of the story and its central themes?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)