|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
2. What do the other children tease Janie about?
3. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
4. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
5. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
2. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
3. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
4. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
5. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
6. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
7. Describe Janie's appearance.
8. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
9. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
10. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 2
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)