|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
2. What do the men who try to court Janie really want?
3. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
4. What is Pheoby's husband's name?
5. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
2. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
3. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
4. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
5. What are the major differences between Joe Starks and Logan Killicks?
6. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
7. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
8. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
9. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
10. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Their Eyes Were Watching God? What does this title reveal about Janie's journey toward self-realization? Is the title a statement about Janie or other characters? Does the title imply a sense of waiting or searching? How?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)