Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
2. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
5. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
4. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
5. Describe Janie's appearance.
6. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
7. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
9. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
10. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)