|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the house have no roof?
2. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
3. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
4. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
5. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
2. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
3. What things about Janie make Joe jealous?
4. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
5. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
6. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
7. What does Janie say to Joe as he is dying?
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
9. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
10. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)