|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an alternate name for Eatonville?
2. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
3. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
4. What do Tea Cake and Janie drink at the store?
5. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
2. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
3. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
4. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
5. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
6. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
7. Describe Joe's funeral.
8. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
9. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
10. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)