|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
2. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
3. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
4. What does Joe do to hurt Janie in Chapter 8?
5. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
2. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
3. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
4. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
5. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
6. Who is Annie Tyler?
7. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
9. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
10. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss violence as a theme in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Is it shown in a positive or acceptable light? Explain how Janie's reaction to the violent situations she experiences reveal something about her character. Would the violence in the novel be acceptable today?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)