|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
2. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
3. What does Janie like about the store?
4. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
5. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's funeral.
2. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
3. What are the major differences between Joe Starks and Logan Killicks?
4. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
5. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
6. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
7. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
8. Describe Janie's appearance.
9. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
10. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
Essay Topic 3
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)