|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
2. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
4. Whose house has no roof?
5. Who comes into the store while everyone is away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the other children make fun of Janie and refuse to play with her?
2. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
3. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
4. What is Janie's first impression of Tea Cake in Chapter 10?
5. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
6. What things about Janie make Joe jealous?
7. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
8. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
9. Describe Joe's funeral.
10. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title Their Eyes Were Watching God? What does this title reveal about Janie's journey toward self-realization? Is the title a statement about Janie or other characters? Does the title imply a sense of waiting or searching? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)