|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake say he will come back to visit Janie?
2. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
3. How does Janie feel about Tea Cake at the end of Chapter 10?
4. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
5. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
2. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
3. Describe Janie's appearance.
4. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
5. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
6. Why do the other children make fun of Janie and refuse to play with her?
7. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
8. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
9. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
10. Describe Joe's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how and why Janie is consistently disappointed throughout her life. Which characters disappoint her? What were her initial expectations of these characters, and how do they let her down?
Essay Topic 2
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)