|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
2. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
3. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
4. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
5. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
2. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
3. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
4. How do the neighborhood women seem to feel about Janie?
5. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
6. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
7. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
8. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
9. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
10. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)