|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
2. What does Janie keep waiting for after her marriage?
3. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
4. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
5. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
2. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
3. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
4. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
5. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
6. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
7. Describe Joe's funeral.
8. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
9. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
10. How does Tea Cake die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 2
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)