Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
2. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
5. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
4. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
5. Describe Janie's appearance.
6. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
7. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
9. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
10. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)