|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Janie say is the only person Joe ever listened to?
2. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
3. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
4. What does Nanny call the "very prong all us black women gits hung on"?
5. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
2. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
3. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
4. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
5. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
6. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
7. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
8. How is death personified in Chapter 8?
9. Why do the other children make fun of Janie and refuse to play with her?
10. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How did each phase of Janie's life, from childhood through adulthood, shape her into the woman who is telling the story in the novel?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)