|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
2. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
3. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
4. What is the rumor going around about Joe's illness?
5. What do Janie's neighbors want to know about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
4. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
5. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
6. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
8. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
9. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
10. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how and why Janie is consistently disappointed throughout her life. Which characters disappoint her? What were her initial expectations of these characters, and how do they let her down?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)