Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
2. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
5. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
4. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
5. Describe Janie's appearance.
6. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
7. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
9. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
10. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the horizon as a symbol in the novel. What is it a symbol of? Does its symbolism change at all? If so, how? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)