|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie like about the store?
2. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
3. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
4. How does Janie feel about Tea Cake at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Why doesn't Janie leave Jody?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things about Janie make Joe jealous?
2. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
3. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
4. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
5. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
6. Describe your impression of the relationship between Pheoby and Janie.
7. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
8. What are the major differences between Joe Starks and Logan Killicks?
9. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
10. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Explain how and why Janie is consistently disappointed throughout her life. Which characters disappoint her? What were her initial expectations of these characters, and how do they let her down?
Essay Topic 3
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)