|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanny call the "very prong all us black women gits hung on"?
2. Why is Tea Cake in Eatonville?
3. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
4. Who tells Janie about this rumor?
5. What do the other children tease Janie about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
2. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
3. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
4. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
5. What is Janie's first impression of Tea Cake in Chapter 10?
6. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
7. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
8. What things about Janie make Joe jealous?
9. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
10. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title Their Eyes Were Watching God? What does this title reveal about Janie's journey toward self-realization? Is the title a statement about Janie or other characters? Does the title imply a sense of waiting or searching? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novel. What events or passages indicate that something important will happen later in the novel? What themes are presented briefly only to be fully expanded on by future events?
Essay Topic 3
How did each phase of Janie's life, from childhood through adulthood, shape her into the woman who is telling the story in the novel?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)