|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other children tease Janie about?
2. Who does Janie compare Jody to in her speech?
3. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
4. What does Nanny call the "very prong all us black women gits hung on"?
5. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
2. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
3. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
4. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
5. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
6. How does Tea Cake die?
7. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
8. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
9. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
10. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
Essay Topic 1
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the horizon as a symbol in the novel. What is it a symbol of? Does its symbolism change at all? If so, how? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)