Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
2. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
5. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
4. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
5. Describe Janie's appearance.
6. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
7. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
9. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
10. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
Discuss violence as a theme in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Is it shown in a positive or acceptable light? Explain how Janie's reaction to the violent situations she experiences reveal something about her character. Would the violence in the novel be acceptable today?
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
How did each phase of Janie's life, from childhood through adulthood, shape her into the woman who is telling the story in the novel?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)