|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
2. What does Janie have to do when Logan goes to Lake City for the day?
3. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
4. What does Janie find unattractive about her husband in Chapter 3?
5. What does Janie feel for Joe as he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
2. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
3. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
4. Describe Joe's funeral.
5. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
6. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
7. Describe Janie's appearance.
8. What does Janie say to Joe as he is dying?
9. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
10. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss violence as a theme in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Is it shown in a positive or acceptable light? Explain how Janie's reaction to the violent situations she experiences reveal something about her character. Would the violence in the novel be acceptable today?
Essay Topic 2
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)