|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
2. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
3. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
4. Where is Joe Starks from?
5. What is the subject of most of the jokes told on the porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's funeral.
2. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
3. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
4. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
5. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
6. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
7. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
8. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
9. Describe your impression of the relationship between Pheoby and Janie.
10. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title Their Eyes Were Watching God? What does this title reveal about Janie's journey toward self-realization? Is the title a statement about Janie or other characters? Does the title imply a sense of waiting or searching? How?
Essay Topic 2
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)