|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
2. What actually kills Joe?
3. Who does Janie compare Jody to in her speech?
4. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
5. Where does Janie get a doctor from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
4. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
5. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
6. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
7. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
8. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
9. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
10. Why do the other children make fun of Janie and refuse to play with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss violence as a theme in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Is it shown in a positive or acceptable light? Explain how Janie's reaction to the violent situations she experiences reveal something about her character. Would the violence in the novel be acceptable today?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)