|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
2. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
3. What is the rumor going around about Joe's illness?
4. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
5. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
2. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
3. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
4. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
5. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
6. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
7. How is death personified in Chapter 8?
8. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
9. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
10. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters in the novel are static? Which characters are dynamic? How do the two different types of characters contribute to the evolution of the story and its central themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)