|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
2. What does Janie have in her new home that none of the other blacks in town have?
3. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
4. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
5. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Janie's first impression of Tea Cake in Chapter 10?
2. Why do the other children make fun of Janie and refuse to play with her?
3. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
4. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
5. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
6. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
7. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
8. Describe Janie's appearance.
9. What does Janie say to Joe as he is dying?
10. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novel. What events or passages indicate that something important will happen later in the novel? What themes are presented briefly only to be fully expanded on by future events?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 3
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)