|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tea Cake and Janie drink at the store?
2. Who is Eatonville named after?
3. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
4. Where does Janie get married?
5. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
2. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
3. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
4. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
5. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
6. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
7. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
8. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
9. How do the neighborhood women seem to feel about Janie?
10. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
Essay Topic 2
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)