|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
2. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
3. What does Joe say someone like Janie is "made to do"?
4. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
5. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
2. How do the neighborhood women seem to feel about Janie?
3. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
4. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
5. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
6. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
7. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
8. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
9. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
10. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
Essay Topic 2
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how and why Janie is consistently disappointed throughout her life. Which characters disappoint her? What were her initial expectations of these characters, and how do they let her down?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)