|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
(a) The spittoon.
(b) The pear blossom.
(c) The head rag.
(d) The mule.
2. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
(a) He is not afraid of hurricanes.
(b) He does not want to lose a day of work.
(c) He does not like moving around.
(d) He does not want to leave Janie.
3. Where do all the workers from the muck go for fun?
(a) The general store.
(b) The swamp.
(c) The local bar.
(d) Tea Cake and Janie's house.
4. How does Tea Cake die?
(a) Janie shoots him in self-defense.
(b) He drinks poison.
(c) He shoots himself.
(d) He is stabbed in a bar fight.
5. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
(c) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
2. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
3. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
4. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
5. How do the townspeople feel about Janie's relationship with Tea Cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
2. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
3. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
4. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
5. Who is Annie Tyler?
6. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
7. How does Tea Cake die?
8. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
9. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
10. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)