|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
(a) Because Janie is from Eatonville.
(b) Because Janie is fair-skinned.
(c) Because Janie visits the restaurant every day.
(d) Because Janie has money.
2. How does Tea Cake die?
(a) Janie shoots him in self-defense.
(b) He shoots himself.
(c) He is stabbed in a bar fight.
(d) He drinks poison.
3. How do Tea Cake's friends react to his death?
(a) They are glad he is gone.
(b) They do not know he is dead.
(c) They try to help Janie escape.
(d) They are angry at Janie and want her prosecuted.
4. Who does Mrs. Turner want Janie to marry?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Tea Cake.
(d) A white man.
5. Who does Janie think of as a warning about what Tea Cake might do to her?
(a) Pheoby Watson.
(b) Annie Tyler.
(c) Joe Starks.
(d) Her grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
2. What does Tea Cake teach Janie how to do in the Everglades?
3. What does Janie leave Eatonville wearing?
4. Where do the workers go to escape the storm?
5. When is payday on the muck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
2. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
3. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
4. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
5. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
6. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
7. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
8. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
9. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
10. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)