|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
(a) A dog bites him on the cheek.
(b) A cow kicks him in the face.
(c) He gets swept away by the wind.
(d) Janie pushes him under water.
2. How does Pheoby feel after Janie is done talking in Chapter 20?
(a) She's not satisfied with herself anymore.
(b) She is jealous.
(c) She is mad at Janie.
(d) She wants to move away.
3. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
(a) He runs home.
(b) He sits in the corner and smokes a pipe.
(c) He helps his wife clean up.
(d) He calls the police.
4. What does Janie tell Pheoby she wants to get married again for?
5. How do the townspeople feel about Janie's relationship with Tea Cake?
(a) They think Tea Cake should be mayor.
(b) They want them to get married.
(c) They think Janie is taking advantage of Tea Cake.
(d) They are mad about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the money Janie has hidden in her dress?
2. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
3. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
4. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
5. How is Nunkie's appearance described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
2. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
3. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
4. How does Tea Cake die?
5. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
6. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
7. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
8. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
9. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
10. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)