|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
(a) The office.
(b) The glades.
(c) The muck.
(d) The patch.
2. How does Tea Cake die?
(a) He shoots himself.
(b) Janie shoots him in self-defense.
(c) He is stabbed in a bar fight.
(d) He drinks poison.
3. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
(b) The flu.
4. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
(a) Janie tries to leave him.
(b) Janie cheats on him.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He wants to show the Turners who is boss.
5. Who is Mrs. Turner?
(a) The owner of a restaurant in town.
(b) Tea Cake's cousin.
(c) The mayor's wife.
(d) Janie's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
2. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
3. Where do the workers go to escape the storm?
4. What does Janie find under Tea Cake's pillow?
5. What does Janie "pull in and drape over her shoulder" at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
2. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
3. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
4. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
5. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
6. Who is Annie Tyler?
7. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
8. How does Tea Cake die?
9. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
10. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)