|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
(a) Whole world and back.
(b) Best place.
(d) Depths of hell.
2. Who does Mrs. Turner want Janie to marry?
(a) A white man.
(b) Tea Cake.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Her brother.
3. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
(a) They can't find anyone to arrest.
(b) There isn't enough jail space.
(c) They are too lazy.
(d) They are afraid of the blacks.
4. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
(a) At dawn.
(b) Once she has a baby.
(c) As soon as she can sell the store.
(d) As soon as Tea Cake gets a job.
5. How do Tea Cake's friends react to his death?
(a) They try to help Janie escape.
(b) They do not know he is dead.
(c) They are glad he is gone.
(d) They are angry at Janie and want her prosecuted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the two hundred dollars is left when Tea Cake returns home?
2. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
3. Who sends Pheoby to have a talk with Janie about Tea Cake?
4. What does Tea Cake teach Janie how to do in the Everglades?
5. What does Tea Cake want to protect Janie from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
3. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
4. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
5. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
6. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
7. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
8. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
9. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
10. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)