|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janie take with her when she leaves?
(a) A pistol.
(b) The seeds Tea Cake wanted to plant.
(c) A photo of Tea Cake.
(d) Her blue dress.
2. What does Tea Cake do when Janie cannot swim anymore?
(a) He gets a boat.
(b) He pulls her with a rope.
(c) He leaves her at a house.
(d) He carries her.
3. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
(a) They can't find anyone to arrest.
(b) There isn't enough jail space.
(c) They are afraid of the blacks.
(d) They are too lazy.
4. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
(a) Work in the fields with him.
(b) Return to Eatonville alone.
(c) Buy him a car.
(d) Have a baby with him.
5. What do Janie and Tea Cake do when the picking season ends?
(a) They keep working the fields.
(b) They go on a long vacation to Mexico.
(c) They return to Eatonville.
(d) They stay in the Everglades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tea Cake teach Janie how to do in the Everglades?
2. What do the men who work with Tea Cake think of Mr. Turner?
3. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
4. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
5. What does Tea Cake say that Nunkie did to draw him away from the crowd in the fields?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
2. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
3. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
4. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
5. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
6. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
7. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
8. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
9. Who is Annie Tyler?
10. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)