|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the money Janie has hidden in her dress?
(a) Tea Cake buys Janie a dress with it.
(b) Tea Cake takes the money and goes out on the town to see what it is like to be rich.
(c) Tea Cake hides the money from Janie.
(d) Janie buries the money under her house.
2. How old is Tea Cake?
3. What does Tea Cake want to protect Janie from?
(a) The cruelty of the world.
(b) The dangerous bars in town.
(c) The commonness of the railroad workers.
(d) The lustful men in town.
4. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
(b) Best place.
(c) Depths of hell.
(d) Whole world and back.
5. What do Janie and Tea Cake do when the picking season ends?
(a) They keep working the fields.
(b) They go on a long vacation to Mexico.
(c) They return to Eatonville.
(d) They stay in the Everglades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
2. How does Tea Cake die?
3. What does Janie find under Tea Cake's pillow?
4. When do the townspeople take notice of Janie's spending so much time with Tea Cake?
5. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tea Cake die?
2. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
3. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
4. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
5. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
6. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
7. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
8. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
9. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
10. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)