|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
(a) The Everglades.
2. Why does Janie leave the Everglades?
(a) Everything reminds her of Tea Cake.
(b) She is run out of town by Tea Cake's friends.
(c) She gets a job in Orlando.
(d) She meets a new man.
3. How does Tea Cake die?
(a) He drinks poison.
(b) He is stabbed in a bar fight.
(c) He shoots himself.
(d) Janie shoots him in self-defense.
4. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
(a) He gets swept away by the wind.
(b) Janie pushes him under water.
(c) A dog bites him on the cheek.
(d) A cow kicks him in the face.
5. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
(a) Her husband's wealth.
(b) Her white features.
(c) Her good upbringing.
(d) Her cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie wear to Tea Cake's funeral?
2. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
3. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
4. How do Tea Cake's friends react to his death?
5. What does Janie hide behind the stove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
3. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
4. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
5. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
6. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
7. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
8. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
9. Who is Annie Tyler?
10. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)