|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men who work with Tea Cake think of Mr. Turner?
(a) They think he's scared of his wife.
(b) They are jealous of him.
(c) They respect him.
(d) They think he is cruel to his wife.
2. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
(a) Janie tries to leave him.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He wants to show the Turners who is boss.
(d) Janie cheats on him.
3. What does Nunkie do to get Tea Cake's attention?
(a) Nunkie dresses provocatively.
(b) Nunkie tells Tea Cake that Janie is cheating on him.
(c) Nunkie pretends to be sick for Tea Cake's sympathy
(d) Nunkie teases and hits Tea Cake.
4. How does Tea Cake tell Janie to treat Mrs. Turner?
(a) He tells Janie to feel sorry for Mrs. Turner.
(b) He tells Janie to make friends with her.
(c) He tells Janie to give Mrs. Turner the cold shoulder.
(d) He tells Janie to steal Mrs. Turner's money.
5. What does Janie hide behind the stove?
(a) Her money.
(b) Tea Cake's pistol.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A train ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
2. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
3. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
4. How does Janie react to finding Tea Cake with Nunkie?
5. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
2. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
3. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
4. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
5. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
6. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
7. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
8. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
9. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
10. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)