|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does Janie start wearing in Chapter 12?
(c) Black .
2. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
(a) A cow kicks him in the face.
(b) He gets swept away by the wind.
(c) Janie pushes him under water.
(d) A dog bites him on the cheek.
3. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
(a) The mule.
(b) The head rag.
(c) The pear blossom.
(d) The spittoon.
4. Tea Cake tells Janie she is enough to make a man forget to _________. (Fill in the blank)
(a) Get old and die.
(b) Go to work.
(c) Wake up in the morning.
5. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
(a) Once she has a baby.
(b) As soon as Tea Cake gets a job.
(c) At dawn.
(d) As soon as she can sell the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
2. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
3. What does Janie find under Tea Cake's pillow?
4. Who sends Pheoby to have a talk with Janie about Tea Cake?
5. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tea Cake die?
2. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
3. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
4. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
7. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
8. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
9. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
10. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)