|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Janie compare Jody to in her speech?
(a) Logan Killicks.
(b) King Solomon.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
2. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
(a) Little One.
(d) Baby Girl.
3. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
(a) A saw mill.
(b) A house.
(c) A store.
(d) A barn.
4. What do the men who try to court Janie really want?
(a) Her store.
(b) Her body.
(c) Her wisdom.
(d) Her money.
5. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
(a) She homeschools Janie.
(b) She yells at the other children.
(c) She buys them some land and their own house.
(d) She sends Janie to a different school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie have to do when Logan goes to Lake City for the day?
2. Why does Logan go to Lake City?
3. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
4. How many acres does Janie's new home sit on?
5. What actually kills Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
2. How do the neighborhood women seem to feel about Janie?
3. Describe your impression of the relationship between Pheoby and Janie.
4. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
5. Describe Joe's funeral.
6. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
7. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
8. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
9. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
10. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)