|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
(a) Joe and Janie's wedding.
(b) The first paved road in town.
(c) The end of slavery.
(d) The first street lamp in town.
2. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
3. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(a) The "change uh life."
(b) "A nekkid grandpa."
(d) "A horse rump."
4. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
(a) Mend his socks.
(b) Cut her hair off.
(c) Leave Logan and marry him.
(d) Kill her husband.
5. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) Mulatto rice.
(b) Turkey and dressing.
(c) Vegetable stew.
(d) A ham sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
2. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
3. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
4. Who is Janie's best friend?
5. After they've been married for about a year, what does Logan tell Janie she can now do for herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
2. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
3. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
4. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
5. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
6. Describe your impression of the relationship between Pheoby and Janie.
7. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
8. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
9. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
10. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)