|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
(a) How many people live there.
(b) That there are no blacks there.
(c) How large the town is.
(d) How small it is.
2. What does Janie keep waiting for after her marriage?
(a) To move to another city.
(b) To get a new dress.
(c) To have a baby.
(d) To fall in love with her husband.
3. Who tells Janie about this rumor?
(a) Matt Bonner.
(b) Joe Starks.
(c) Logan Killicks.
(d) Pheoby Watson.
4. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
(a) Hugging a child.
(b) Beating a dog.
(c) Kicking a mule.
(d) Stripping a woman on a crowded street.
5. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
(a) A barn.
(b) A house.
(c) A saw mill.
(d) A store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
2. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
3. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
4. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
5. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
2. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
3. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
4. What are the major differences between Joe Starks and Logan Killicks?
5. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
6. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
7. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
8. Describe Janie's appearance.
9. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
10. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)