|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe get mad at Janie in Chapter 6?
(a) She wears lipstick to church.
(b) He cannot find a bill of lading in the store.
(c) She yells at him on the porch.
(d) She has an affair with another man.
2. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
(a) Joe Brown.
(c) Logan Killicks.
(d) Tea Cake.
3. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
(a) Physical force.
(c) Janie's love.
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(a) "A horse rump."
(b) The "change uh life."
(d) "A nekkid grandpa."
5. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
(a) She goes back to bed.
(b) She goes into town for groceries.
(c) She leaves to meet up with Joe and run away with him.
(d) She helps Logan with some chores.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
2. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
3. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
4. What does Joe do after the big fight with Janie?
5. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
2. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
3. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
4. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
5. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
6. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
7. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
8. Describe Joe's funeral.
9. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
10. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)