|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Janie compare Jody to in her speech?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Logan Killicks.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) King Solomon.
2. Why does the house have no roof?
(a) Joe is too poor to fix the hole in the roof.
(b) Death needs no protection from the winds.
(c) A tornado has hit Pheoby's house.
(d) Janie has moved into a shack by the water with no roof.
3. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
4. What makes the Mistress suspect that Nanny's newborn baby is part white?
(a) The baby's fair skin.
(b) The baby is always hidden .
(c) The baby's gray eyes and yellow hair.
(d) The plantation Master sends the baby away.
5. Why does Logan go to Lake City?
(a) He's having an affair.
(b) To look at some land.
(c) To get a new plow.
(d) To buy a mule.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tea Cake's given name?
2. What does Joe's death mean to Janie?
3. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
4. What does Janie find difficult about tending the store?
5. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the other children make fun of Janie and refuse to play with her?
2. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
3. Who is Annie Tyler?
4. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
5. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
6. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
7. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
8. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
9. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
10. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)