|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
(a) He helps her close up the store.
(b) He helps her tie up her hair.
(c) He helps her onto the train.
(d) He helps her clean the floors.
2. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
(a) Two days.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
3. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
(a) A wall of stone and steel.
(b) A burial shroud.
(c) A party mask.
(d) A bridal veil.
4. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Nanny dies.
(b) Janie divorces Logan.
(c) Janie has a baby.
(d) Logan dies.
5. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
(a) He makes her tie up her hair when she is in the store.
(b) He makes her stay in the house all day.
(c) He makes her mop the floors of the store.
(d) He makes her wear an ugly dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janie's maiden name?
2. How old is Joe in Chapter 7?
3. What is the rumor going around about Joe's illness?
4. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
5. Where does Janie get a doctor from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
2. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
3. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
4. What does Janie think about Joe buying the mule?
5. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
6. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
7. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
8. What does Janie say to Joe as he is dying?
9. How is death personified in Chapter 8?
10. Describe Janie's appearance.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)