|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
(a) A store.
(b) A saw mill.
(c) A house.
(d) A barn.
2. How do the townspeople react to the scene between Jody and Janie in the store?
(a) They encourage Joe to beat Janie.
(b) They all leave the store.
(c) They lose respect for Joe.
(d) They are embarrassed.
3. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
(b) The horizon.
4. Who is Janie's best friend?
5. Who does Janie say is the only person Joe ever listened to?
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
2. What actually kills Joe?
3. What makes the Mistress suspect that Nanny's newborn baby is part white?
4. What is Tea Cake's given name?
5. What does Janie do in Eatonville?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. What are the major differences between Joe Starks and Logan Killicks?
4. What does Janie say to Joe as he is dying?
5. How do the neighborhood women seem to feel about Janie?
6. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
7. How is death personified in Chapter 8?
8. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
9. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
10. Why do the other children make fun of Janie and refuse to play with her?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)