|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
(a) Janie's love.
(b) Physical force.
2. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) Two days.
3. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
(a) A paved road.
(b) A mayor.
(c) A post office.
(d) A church.
4. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
(a) "Safe in the Arms of Jesus."
(b) "When the Saints Go Marching In."
(c) "All by Myself."
(d) "Amazing Grace."
5. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
(a) Her fists.
(b) Her hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Janie in the store after Joe is dead?
2. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Joe get mad at Janie in Chapter 6?
4. When does Janie realize she is not white?
5. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the neighborhood women seem to feel about Janie?
2. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
3. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
4. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
6. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
7. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
8. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
9. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
10. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)