|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
(a) She runs away with the Master.
(b) She calls the police.
(c) She runs away into the woods with her baby.
(d) She kills the Mistress.
2. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She tells him he is handsome.
(b) She throws a rock at him.
(c) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(d) She starts pumping the well for water.
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Janie divorces Logan.
(b) Nanny dies.
(c) Logan dies.
(d) Janie has a baby.
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(a) The "change uh life."
(b) "A nekkid grandpa."
(d) "A horse rump."
5. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
(b) Tea Cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
2. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
3. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
4. Why does Joe buy the mule?
5. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
3. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
4. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
5. Describe Janie's appearance.
6. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
7. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
9. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
10. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)