|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Logan want Janie to do while she is making breakfast?
(a) Help him move the manure pile.
(b) Bring him some water.
(c) Go into town for groceries.
(d) Help him shoe a horse.
2. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
3. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
(b) A new house.
(c) A husband.
4. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
(a) A mayor.
(b) A paved road.
(c) A post office.
(d) A church.
5. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
(b) Janie's love.
(d) Physical force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
2. What does Joe do to hurt Janie in Chapter 8?
3. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
4. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
5. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
2. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
3. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
4. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
5. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
6. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
7. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
8. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
9. Describe your impression of the relationship between Pheoby and Janie.
10. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)