|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
(a) He pretends to own the store.
(b) He acts like a harmless imitation of Joe.
(c) He is meek and like a servant to Janie.
(d) He is lazy and will not work.
2. Why does the house have no roof?
(a) Death needs no protection from the winds.
(b) Janie has moved into a shack by the water with no roof.
(c) Joe is too poor to fix the hole in the roof.
(d) A tornado has hit Pheoby's house.
3. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
(a) Making dinner.
(b) Washing her dress.
(c) Soaking and washing her feet.
(d) Writing a letter.
4. What does Joe do to hurt Janie in Chapter 8?
(a) Sells all of her clothes .
(b) Refuses food from her.
(c) Moves another woman into the house.
(d) Tells the doctor not to tell her anything.
5. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
(a) She throws the tobacco plug at him.
(b) She gets fed up and makes fun of his aging body.
(c) She ignores him all day.
(d) She runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joe Starks from?
2. Why does Logan go to Lake City?
3. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
4. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
5. Where does Janie get a doctor from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
2. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
3. What things about Janie make Joe jealous?
4. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
5. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
6. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
7. Describe Joe's funeral.
8. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
9. What are some of the reasons Nanny says that Janie should feel lucky to be married to Logan?
10. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)