|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
(a) Joe and Janie's wedding.
(b) The end of slavery.
(c) The first street lamp in town.
(d) The first paved road in town.
2. What do Janie's neighbors want to know about her?
(a) Why she has come home.
(b) Where all her money is.
(c) Where her boyfriend is.
(d) All of the above.
3. Why doesn't Janie leave Jody?
(a) She is afraid he will find her.
(b) She truly loves him.
(c) She has nowhere to go.
(d) She is pregnant.
4. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
5. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
2. Who helps Janie in the store after Joe is dead?
3. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
4. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
5. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
2. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
3. Describe Janie's appearance.
4. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
7. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
8. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
9. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
10. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)