|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She throws a rock at him.
(b) She tells him he is handsome.
(c) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(d) She starts pumping the well for water.
2. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
(d) The horizon.
3. What does Janie like about the store?
(a) The conversations on the porch.
(b) The people who visit her.
(c) The independence she feels by running the store.
(d) That she gets to work with Joe.
4. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
(a) The rose bush.
(b) The front gate.
(c) The school yard.
(d) The pear tree.
5. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
(a) A paved road.
(b) A mayor.
(c) A post office.
(d) A church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tea Cake's given name?
2. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
3. When does Janie realize she is not white?
4. What do the other children tease Janie about?
5. What does Nanny call the "very prong all us black women gits hung on"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe your impression of the relationship between Pheoby and Janie.
2. How is death personified in Chapter 8?
3. Describe Janie's feelings on love and marriage in Chapter 3.
4. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
5. Why is Janie alone in the store in Chapter 10?
6. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
7. Describe the analogy Hurston uses to explain Janie's sexual awakening.
8. Describe Joe's funeral.
9. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
10. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)