|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
(a) His wife.
(b) His gold spittoon.
(c) His silk suit.
(d) His feathered hat.
2. What does Joe say someone like Janie is "made to do"?
(a) Work at a dress shop.
(b) Sit on the porch and rock and fan herself.
(c) Work the plow.
(d) Teach in a school.
3. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) Turkey and dressing.
(b) Vegetable stew.
(c) Mulatto rice.
(d) A ham sandwich.
4. Who tells Janie about this rumor?
(a) Pheoby Watson.
(b) Logan Killicks.
(c) Joe Starks.
(d) Matt Bonner.
5. Why does the house have no roof?
(a) Janie has moved into a shack by the water with no roof.
(b) Joe is too poor to fix the hole in the roof.
(c) Death needs no protection from the winds.
(d) A tornado has hit Pheoby's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
2. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
3. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
4. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
5. What does Janie do in Eatonville?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
2. What things about Janie make Joe jealous?
3. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
4. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
5. Why is Joe so angry and embarrassed when Janie finally speaks up to him?
6. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
7. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
8. Describe the scene that occurs in the store in Chapter 7.
9. Describe Nanny's reaction, in Chapter 3, to hearing that Janie is unhappy.
10. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)