|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe do after the big fight with Janie?
(a) He tells Janie to pack up and leave him.
(b) He moves into another bedroom in the house.
(c) He apologizes to Janie.
(d) He closes down the store.
2. Who is Janie's best friend?
3. What is the cause of Joe's illness.
(a) His kidneys are shutting down.
(b) He has been poisoned.
(c) He has a broken heart.
(d) He drinks too much.
4. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
(a) The school yard.
(b) The rose bush.
(c) The pear tree.
(d) The front gate.
5. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He slaps her face.
(b) He tells her it's okay.
(c) He throws the food out the window.
(d) He kicks her out of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Janie take notice of Joe Starks?
2. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
3. What does Janie find difficult about tending the store?
4. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
5. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tea Cake die?
2. Why does Nanny want Janie to get married?
3. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
4. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
5. What are some of the changes Joe Starks makes in the town of Eatonville?
6. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
7. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
8. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
9. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
10. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)