|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
(a) Her fists.
(c) Her hair.
2. Whose house has no roof?
3. What is Pheoby's husband's name?
4. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
5. Why does Joe buy the mule?
(a) He overhears Janie saying that the mule needs rest.
(b) He wants Janie to take care of the mule.
(c) He wants to impress the other men.
(d) He needs the mule to work his land.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the townspeople react to the scene between Jody and Janie in the store?
2. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
3. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
4. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
5. What does Joe's death mean to Janie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
2. What is Janie's first impression of Tea Cake in Chapter 10?
3. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
4. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
5. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
6. How does Janie feel about marrying again after Joe is gone?
7. How do the men in Eatonville view women?
8. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
9. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
10. What are the major differences between Joe Starks and Logan Killicks?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)