|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake say he will come back to visit Janie?
(a) To take her out to dinner.
(b) To teach her more about checkers.
(c) To pay her for his groceries.
(d) To bring her flowers.
2. Jody says all women need telling, just like ____________. (Fill in the blank)
(c) Black people.
(d) Children and chickens and cows.
3. What does everyone call the "boy" Janie left with?
(a) Big Mouth.
(b) Tea Cake.
(c) Baby Boy.
(d) Rum Pan.
4. What do Janie's neighbors want to know about her?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Where all her money is.
(c) Why she has come home.
(d) Where her boyfriend is.
5. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Braid her hair.
(b) Ride a horse.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Play checkers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe buy from Mr. Eaton?
2. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
3. What does Janie find difficult about tending the store?
4. What does Joe do to hurt Janie in Chapter 8?
5. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the restrictions Jody places on Janie?
2. Describe how Janie behaves after Joe's death.
3. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
4. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
5. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
6. What does Janie say to Joe as he is dying?
7. Why did Joe not allow Janie to play games like checkers?
8. Describe Joe's funeral.
9. Describe Jody's appearance in Chapter 7.
10. What does Janie do immediately after Joe dies?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)