|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Janie's neighbors doing when she arrives home?
(a) The neighbors are all asleep.
(b) The neighbors are building a barn.
(c) The neighbors are gathered on Pheoby's front porch to gossip.
(d) The neighbors are hiding inside Janie's house to throw her a surprise party.
2. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
(a) One week.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two days.
(d) One month.
3. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He tells her it's okay.
(b) He kicks her out of the house.
(c) He slaps her face.
(d) He throws the food out the window.
4. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
(a) He helps her clean the floors.
(b) He helps her tie up her hair.
(c) He helps her onto the train.
(d) He helps her close up the store.
5. What do Janie's neighbors want to know about her?
(a) Where all her money is.
(b) Where her boyfriend is.
(c) Why she has come home.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the townspeople react to the scene between Jody and Janie in the store?
2. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
3. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
4. What does Janie keep waiting for after her marriage?
5. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events in Chapter 4 reveal a change in Janie and Logan's marriage?
2. How does Janie feel about Nanny in Chapter 9?
3. What is Janie's first impression of Tea Cake in Chapter 10?
4. How do the people of Eatonville view Joe Starks?
5. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
6. How is death personified in Chapter 8?
7. How is Tea Cake different than the other men in Janie's life?
8. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
9. Describe Logan as Janie sees him.
10. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)