|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
(a) On foot.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By horse.
2. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
(b) Joe Starks' first wife.
(c) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
(d) Janie's grandmother.
3. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Braid her hair.
(b) Ride a horse.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Play checkers.
4. Who is Janie's best friend?
5. What does Janie's husband do for Janie that Nanny says won't last for long?
(a) Cooks dinner.
(b) Sleeps on the couch.
(c) Brushes her hair at night.
(d) Chops the wood and carries it inside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
2. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
3. Why does Tea Cake say he will come back to visit Janie?
4. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
5. Who is elected mayor of Eatonville?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Logan seem to feel about the possibility of Janie leaving him?
2. Describe your impression of the relationship between Pheoby and Janie.
3. How does Janie initially feel about Joe's getting old?
4. What are the circumstances surrounding Joe's death?
5. What is Joe's opinion of Eatonville when he first arrives?
6. Describe Joe Starks' appearance.
7. What does Janie say to Joe as he is dying?
8. Describe what happens with the mule in Chapter 6.
9. What do Janie's neighbors normally do after a long day's work?
10. Explain how Janie earns the name "Alphabet."
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)