|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Janie know the hurricane is coming?
(a) The Seminoles tell her.
(b) She hears about it on the radio.
(c) She sees the storm coming in the sky.
(d) Tea Cake tells her.
2. When is payday on the muck?
3. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
(c) The flu.
4. What dessert do Tea Cake and Janie enjoy on the porch?
(a) Pound cake and lemonade.
(b) Ice cream and coffee.
(c) Milk and cookies.
(d) Oranges and lemonade.
5. How long do the people on the muck stay mad at Janie?
(a) A month.
(b) Two days.
(c) Six years.
(d) A week.
6. How does Tea Cake intend to win Janie's money back?
(a) By working all month.
(b) By gambling.
(c) By robbing a bank.
(d) By selling everything he has.
7. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
(a) Best place.
(b) Depths of hell.
(d) Whole world and back.
8. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
(a) Buy her a soda.
(b) Take her to dinner.
(c) Borrow some money.
(d) Come up on her porch.
9. What does Nunkie do to get Tea Cake's attention?
(a) Nunkie teases and hits Tea Cake.
(b) Nunkie tells Tea Cake that Janie is cheating on him.
(c) Nunkie pretends to be sick for Tea Cake's sympathy
(d) Nunkie dresses provocatively.
10. How much of the two hundred dollars is left when Tea Cake returns home?
(a) 100 dollars.
(c) All of it.
(d) Twelve dollars.
11. Why does Janie leave the Everglades?
(a) She gets a job in Orlando.
(b) She meets a new man.
(c) She is run out of town by Tea Cake's friends.
(d) Everything reminds her of Tea Cake.
12. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
(a) They are afraid of the blacks.
(b) They are too lazy.
(c) They can't find anyone to arrest.
(d) There isn't enough jail space.
13. How does Janie react to finding Tea Cake with Nunkie?
(a) She kills Nunkie.
(b) She ignores the incident.
(c) She leaves Tea Cake.
(d) She rages violently at Tea Cake.
14. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
(a) The pear blossom.
(b) The mule.
(c) The head rag.
(d) The spittoon.
15. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
(a) He sits in the corner and smokes a pipe.
(b) He helps his wife clean up.
(c) He runs home.
(d) He calls the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the money Janie has hidden in her dress?
2. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
3. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
4. What does Janie wear to Tea Cake's funeral?
5. What is Tea Cake's job?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)