|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
(d) The flu.
2. How does Janie know the hurricane is coming?
(a) She sees the storm coming in the sky.
(b) Tea Cake tells her.
(c) The Seminoles tell her.
(d) She hears about it on the radio.
3. How do Tea Cake's friends react to his death?
(a) They do not know he is dead.
(b) They are angry at Janie and want her prosecuted.
(c) They try to help Janie escape.
(d) They are glad he is gone.
4. What does Janie hide behind the stove?
(a) Tea Cake's pistol.
(b) A rifle.
(c) Her money.
(d) A train ticket.
5. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
(a) They can't find anyone to arrest.
(b) They are afraid of the blacks.
(c) There isn't enough jail space.
(d) They are too lazy.
6. When do the townspeople take notice of Janie's spending so much time with Tea Cake?
(a) After she is late opening the store every day.
(b) After the picnic.
(c) After he starts working at the store.
(d) After he is seen leaving her house one morning.
7. How does Tea Cake intend to win Janie's money back?
(a) By gambling.
(b) By working all month.
(c) By robbing a bank.
(d) By selling everything he has.
8. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
(a) Work in the fields with him.
(b) Return to Eatonville alone.
(c) Have a baby with him.
(d) Buy him a car.
9. What does Janie tell Pheoby she wants to get married again for?
10. What do the men who work with Tea Cake think of Mr. Turner?
(a) They are jealous of him.
(b) They respect him.
(c) They think he's scared of his wife.
(d) They think he is cruel to his wife.
11. Who sends Pheoby to have a talk with Janie about Tea Cake?
(b) Sam Watson.
(c) Matt Bonner.
(d) Dr. Lawrence.
12. What does Janie take with her when she leaves?
(a) A pistol.
(b) Her blue dress.
(c) The seeds Tea Cake wanted to plant.
(d) A photo of Tea Cake.
13. Where do all the workers from the muck go for fun?
(a) The local bar.
(b) The general store.
(c) Tea Cake and Janie's house.
(d) The swamp.
14. Why does Janie leave the Everglades?
(a) She gets a job in Orlando.
(b) She meets a new man.
(c) She is run out of town by Tea Cake's friends.
(d) Everything reminds her of Tea Cake.
15. What does Janie "pull in and drape over her shoulder" at the end of the novel?
(a) A warm blanket.
(b) The horizon.
(c) Tea Cake's sweater.
(d) Her whole life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the money Janie has hidden in her dress?
2. What does Janie wear to Tea Cake's funeral?
3. How does Pheoby feel after Janie is done talking in Chapter 20?
4. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
5. Who does Janie think of as a warning about what Tea Cake might do to her?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)