|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the townspeople take notice of Janie's spending so much time with Tea Cake?
(a) After she is late opening the store every day.
(b) After the picnic.
(c) After he starts working at the store.
(d) After he is seen leaving her house one morning.
2. How does Pheoby feel after Janie is done talking in Chapter 20?
(a) She's not satisfied with herself anymore.
(b) She is jealous.
(c) She is mad at Janie.
(d) She wants to move away.
3. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
(a) He is jealous of Tea Cake.
(b) He thinks Tea Cake is a criminal.
(c) He thinks Janie is too good for Tea Cake.
(d) He thinks Tea Cake is a good man.
4. What does Tea Cake want to protect Janie from?
(a) The cruelty of the world.
(b) The dangerous bars in town.
(c) The commonness of the railroad workers.
(d) The lustful men in town.
5. What is Tea Cake's job?
(a) Picking beans.
(b) Baling hay.
(c) Herding cattle.
(d) Cleaning floors.
6. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
(b) The flu.
7. How do Tea Cake's friends react to his death?
(a) They do not know he is dead.
(b) They try to help Janie escape.
(c) They are glad he is gone.
(d) They are angry at Janie and want her prosecuted.
8. Tea Cake tells Janie she is enough to make a man forget to _________. (Fill in the blank)
(a) Go to work.
(b) Wake up in the morning.
(d) Get old and die.
9. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
(a) Return to Eatonville alone.
(b) Have a baby with him.
(c) Work in the fields with him.
(d) Buy him a car.
10. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
(a) Janie tries to leave him.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He wants to show the Turners who is boss.
(d) Janie cheats on him.
11. What does Janie wear to Tea Cake's funeral?
(a) A black veil.
(c) A satin dress.
(d) A wedding dress.
12. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
(a) He runs home.
(b) He helps his wife clean up.
(c) He sits in the corner and smokes a pipe.
(d) He calls the police.
13. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
(a) They are angry at Tea Cake.
(b) They feel sorry for Janie.
(c) They are jealous of Tea Cake.
(d) They think Janie deserved it.
14. What does Janie "pull in and drape over her shoulder" at the end of the novel?
(a) The horizon.
(b) Her whole life.
(c) A warm blanket.
(d) Tea Cake's sweater.
15. What does Tea Cake say that Nunkie did to draw him away from the crowd in the fields?
(a) She told him he was supposed to work in another area.
(b) She made the job foreman move him.
(c) She threw his hat across the field.
(d) She took his working tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is payday on the muck?
2. How is Nunkie's appearance described?
3. What does Janie tell Pheoby she wants to get married again for?
4. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
5. How does Janie know the hurricane is coming?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)