|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
(a) He thinks Tea Cake is a criminal.
(b) He thinks Tea Cake is a good man.
(c) He is jealous of Tea Cake.
(d) He thinks Janie is too good for Tea Cake.
2. How long do the people on the muck stay mad at Janie?
(a) A month.
(b) Six years.
(c) A week.
(d) Two days.
3. What does Janie hide behind the stove?
(a) Her money.
(b) A rifle.
(c) Tea Cake's pistol.
(d) A train ticket.
4. What does Tea Cake do when Janie cannot swim anymore?
(a) He leaves her at a house.
(b) He pulls her with a rope.
(c) He gets a boat.
(d) He carries her.
5. Where do the workers go to escape the storm?
(c) Palm Beach.
6. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
(a) He buys all the sodas she has in the store.
(b) He plays an imaginary guitar.
(c) He asks her to marry him.
(d) He brings her flowers.
7. What does Tea Cake say that Nunkie did to draw him away from the crowd in the fields?
(a) She made the job foreman move him.
(b) She took his working tickets.
(c) She told him he was supposed to work in another area.
(d) She threw his hat across the field.
8. Who does Mrs. Turner want Janie to marry?
(a) Her brother.
(b) The mayor.
(c) A white man.
(d) Tea Cake.
9. When do the townspeople take notice of Janie's spending so much time with Tea Cake?
(a) After she is late opening the store every day.
(b) After the picnic.
(c) After he starts working at the store.
(d) After he is seen leaving her house one morning.
10. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
(a) Because Janie is fair-skinned.
(b) Because Janie is from Eatonville.
(c) Because Janie visits the restaurant every day.
(d) Because Janie has money.
11. What do the men who work with Tea Cake think of Mr. Turner?
(a) They respect him.
(b) They think he is cruel to his wife.
(c) They are jealous of him.
(d) They think he's scared of his wife.
12. How is Nunkie's appearance described?
(a) Nunkie is chunky.
(b) Nunkie looks like a movie star.
(c) Nunkie is tall and thin.
(d) Nunkie is white.
13. What is Tea Cake's job?
(a) Baling hay.
(b) Cleaning floors.
(c) Herding cattle.
(d) Picking beans.
14. What happens to the money Janie has hidden in her dress?
(a) Tea Cake buys Janie a dress with it.
(b) Tea Cake hides the money from Janie.
(c) Tea Cake takes the money and goes out on the town to see what it is like to be rich.
(d) Janie buries the money under her house.
15. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
(a) Her white features.
(b) Her husband's wealth.
(c) Her cooking.
(d) Her good upbringing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
2. What does Janie take with her when she leaves?
3. What does Tea Cake want to protect Janie from?
4. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
5. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)