|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
(a) At dawn.
(b) As soon as she can sell the store.
(c) Once she has a baby.
(d) As soon as Tea Cake gets a job.
2. What is Tea Cake's job?
(a) Cleaning floors.
(b) Picking beans.
(c) Herding cattle.
(d) Baling hay.
3. How does Tea Cake intend to win Janie's money back?
(a) By working all month.
(b) By robbing a bank.
(c) By gambling.
(d) By selling everything he has.
4. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
(a) They can't find anyone to arrest.
(b) They are too lazy.
(c) There isn't enough jail space.
(d) They are afraid of the blacks.
5. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
(a) He brings her flowers.
(b) He asks her to marry him.
(c) He plays an imaginary guitar.
(d) He buys all the sodas she has in the store.
6. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
(a) They are jealous of Tea Cake.
(b) They are angry at Tea Cake.
(c) They think Janie deserved it.
(d) They feel sorry for Janie.
7. Who does Janie think of as a warning about what Tea Cake might do to her?
(a) Annie Tyler.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Joe Starks.
(d) Pheoby Watson.
8. Who sends Pheoby to have a talk with Janie about Tea Cake?
(a) Matt Bonner.
(c) Sam Watson.
(d) Dr. Lawrence.
9. Tea Cake tells Janie she is enough to make a man forget to _________. (Fill in the blank)
(a) Get old and die.
(b) Go to work.
(c) Wake up in the morning.
10. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
(a) He is not afraid of hurricanes.
(b) He does not want to leave Janie.
(c) He does not want to lose a day of work.
(d) He does not like moving around.
11. How does Janie know the hurricane is coming?
(a) She sees the storm coming in the sky.
(b) The Seminoles tell her.
(c) Tea Cake tells her.
(d) She hears about it on the radio.
12. How does Tea Cake tell Janie to treat Mrs. Turner?
(a) He tells Janie to steal Mrs. Turner's money.
(b) He tells Janie to make friends with her.
(c) He tells Janie to give Mrs. Turner the cold shoulder.
(d) He tells Janie to feel sorry for Mrs. Turner.
13. How is Nunkie's appearance described?
(a) Nunkie is tall and thin.
(b) Nunkie looks like a movie star.
(c) Nunkie is white.
(d) Nunkie is chunky.
14. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He runs home.
(c) He helps his wife clean up.
(d) He sits in the corner and smokes a pipe.
15. Who is Mrs. Turner?
(a) The owner of a restaurant in town.
(b) Janie's sister.
(c) The mayor's wife.
(d) Tea Cake's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
2. What does Janie "pull in and drape over her shoulder" at the end of the novel?
3. How does Janie react to finding Tea Cake with Nunkie?
4. What color does Janie start wearing in Chapter 12?
5. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)