|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pheoby feel after Janie is done talking in Chapter 20?
(a) She is mad at Janie.
(b) She's not satisfied with herself anymore.
(c) She wants to move away.
(d) She is jealous.
2. How do Tea Cake's friends react to his death?
(a) They are glad he is gone.
(b) They do not know he is dead.
(c) They try to help Janie escape.
(d) They are angry at Janie and want her prosecuted.
3. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
(b) The flu.
4. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
(a) He is not afraid of hurricanes.
(b) He does not want to lose a day of work.
(c) He does not want to leave Janie.
(d) He does not like moving around.
5. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
(a) He asks her to marry him.
(b) He buys all the sodas she has in the store.
(c) He brings her flowers.
(d) He plays an imaginary guitar.
6. Who does Janie think of as a warning about what Tea Cake might do to her?
(a) Annie Tyler.
(b) Pheoby Watson.
(c) Joe Starks.
(d) Her grandmother.
7. When is payday on the muck?
8. How long do the people on the muck stay mad at Janie?
(a) Two days.
(b) A month.
(c) Six years.
(d) A week.
9. What does Janie wear to Tea Cake's funeral?
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A black veil.
(d) A satin dress.
10. What happens to the money Janie has hidden in her dress?
(a) Tea Cake hides the money from Janie.
(b) Janie buries the money under her house.
(c) Tea Cake buys Janie a dress with it.
(d) Tea Cake takes the money and goes out on the town to see what it is like to be rich.
11. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He sits in the corner and smokes a pipe.
(c) He helps his wife clean up.
(d) He runs home.
12. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
(a) The spittoon.
(b) The mule.
(c) The pear blossom.
(d) The head rag.
13. How much of the two hundred dollars is left when Tea Cake returns home?
(b) All of it.
(c) Twelve dollars.
(d) 100 dollars.
14. Who is Mrs. Turner?
(a) Tea Cake's cousin.
(b) The mayor's wife.
(c) Janie's sister.
(d) The owner of a restaurant in town.
15. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
(a) He gets swept away by the wind.
(b) A dog bites him on the cheek.
(c) Janie pushes him under water.
(d) A cow kicks him in the face.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tea Cake do when Janie cannot swim anymore?
2. How do the townspeople feel about Janie's relationship with Tea Cake?
3. What does Tea Cake want to protect Janie from?
4. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
5. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)