|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
(a) Return to Eatonville alone.
(b) Buy him a car.
(c) Have a baby with him.
(d) Work in the fields with him.
2. How does Tea Cake die?
(a) He shoots himself.
(b) Janie shoots him in self-defense.
(c) He drinks poison.
(d) He is stabbed in a bar fight.
3. What do the men who work with Tea Cake think of Mr. Turner?
(a) They respect him.
(b) They think he is cruel to his wife.
(c) They are jealous of him.
(d) They think he's scared of his wife.
4. Where do the workers go to escape the storm?
(a) Palm Beach.
5. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
(a) Janie pushes him under water.
(b) A cow kicks him in the face.
(c) A dog bites him on the cheek.
(d) He gets swept away by the wind.
6. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
(a) They are jealous of Tea Cake.
(b) They are angry at Tea Cake.
(c) They think Janie deserved it.
(d) They feel sorry for Janie.
7. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
(a) He brings her flowers.
(b) He plays an imaginary guitar.
(c) He asks her to marry him.
(d) He buys all the sodas she has in the store.
8. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
(a) He runs home.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He helps his wife clean up.
(d) He sits in the corner and smokes a pipe.
9. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
(a) They are afraid of the blacks.
(b) They can't find anyone to arrest.
(c) They are too lazy.
(d) There isn't enough jail space.
10. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
(a) Because Janie has money.
(b) Because Janie visits the restaurant every day.
(c) Because Janie is fair-skinned.
(d) Because Janie is from Eatonville.
11. Who is Mrs. Turner?
(a) Janie's sister.
(b) The owner of a restaurant in town.
(c) The mayor's wife.
(d) Tea Cake's cousin.
12. How does Pheoby feel after Janie is done talking in Chapter 20?
(a) She wants to move away.
(b) She is mad at Janie.
(c) She's not satisfied with herself anymore.
(d) She is jealous.
13. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
(a) He does not like moving around.
(b) He is not afraid of hurricanes.
(c) He does not want to lose a day of work.
(d) He does not want to leave Janie.
14. What does Janie wear to Tea Cake's funeral?
(a) A black veil.
(c) A satin dress.
(d) A wedding dress.
15. When is payday on the muck?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Janie leave the Everglades?
2. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
3. How does Janie react to finding Tea Cake with Nunkie?
4. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
5. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)