|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
(a) He asks her to marry him.
(b) He plays an imaginary guitar.
(c) He brings her flowers.
(d) He buys all the sodas she has in the store.
2. Why does Janie leave the Everglades?
(a) Everything reminds her of Tea Cake.
(b) She meets a new man.
(c) She is run out of town by Tea Cake's friends.
(d) She gets a job in Orlando.
3. How does Tea Cake die?
(a) He shoots himself.
(b) He drinks poison.
(c) Janie shoots him in self-defense.
(d) He is stabbed in a bar fight.
4. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
(a) He does not want to leave Janie.
(b) He does not like moving around.
(c) He does not want to lose a day of work.
(d) He is not afraid of hurricanes.
5. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
(a) Her cooking.
(b) Her husband's wealth.
(c) Her good upbringing.
(d) Her white features.
6. Who does Mrs. Turner want Janie to marry?
(a) A white man.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Tea Cake.
(d) Her brother.
7. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
8. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
(a) The head rag.
(b) The spittoon.
(c) The pear blossom.
(d) The mule.
9. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He wants to show the Turners who is boss.
(c) Janie cheats on him.
(d) Janie tries to leave him.
10. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
(a) They can't find anyone to arrest.
(b) They are too lazy.
(c) There isn't enough jail space.
(d) They are afraid of the blacks.
11. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
(a) Depths of hell.
(b) Whole world and back.
(c) Best place.
12. How long do the people on the muck stay mad at Janie?
(a) A week.
(b) Six years.
(c) Two days.
(d) A month.
13. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
(a) He helps his wife clean up.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He sits in the corner and smokes a pipe.
(d) He runs home.
14. What does Tea Cake do when Janie cannot swim anymore?
(a) He gets a boat.
(b) He carries her.
(c) He pulls her with a rope.
(d) He leaves her at a house.
15. What is Tea Cake's job?
(a) Herding cattle.
(b) Cleaning floors.
(c) Baling hay.
(d) Picking beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tea Cake tells Janie she is enough to make a man forget to _________. (Fill in the blank)
2. What does Janie tell Pheoby she wants to get married again for?
3. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
4. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
5. What color does Janie start wearing in Chapter 12?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)