|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
(a) She goes back to bed.
(b) She goes into town for groceries.
(c) She helps Logan with some chores.
(d) She leaves to meet up with Joe and run away with him.
2. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
(a) To a barbecue in Janie's honor.
(b) To church.
(c) To a ball game in Winter Park.
(d) To Orlando for the season.
3. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She ignores him all day.
(c) She gets fed up and makes fun of his aging body.
(d) She throws the tobacco plug at him.
4. What does Janie like about the store?
(a) The independence she feels by running the store.
(b) That she gets to work with Joe.
(c) The people who visit her.
(d) The conversations on the porch.
5. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
(b) A husband.
(d) A new house.
6. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
(a) He pretends to own the store.
(b) He is lazy and will not work.
(c) He is meek and like a servant to Janie.
(d) He acts like a harmless imitation of Joe.
7. What does Janie find unattractive about her husband in Chapter 3?
(a) His belly.
(b) He doesn't wash his feet before bed.
(c) All of the above.
(d) His toenails.
8. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
(b) Janie's grandmother.
(c) Joe Starks' first wife.
(d) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
9. What is an alternate name for Eatonville?
(a) East Tampa.
(b) West Maitland.
(d) The Everglades.
10. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
(a) They cook it and eat it.
(b) They drag it out to the swamp for a ceremony.
(c) They leave the carcass on Bonner's front porch.
(d) They bury it in Joe's back yard.
11. Who is Janie's best friend?
12. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
(a) Little One.
(d) Baby Girl.
13. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
(a) On foot.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By horse.
14. What does Joe buy from Mr. Eaton?
(a) A house.
(b) A mule.
(c) A dress for Janie.
(d) 200 more acres of land.
15. Why does Joe buy the mule?
(a) He wants to impress the other men.
(b) He wants Janie to take care of the mule.
(c) He overhears Janie saying that the mule needs rest.
(d) He needs the mule to work his land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
2. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
3. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
4. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
5. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)