Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
(a) She runs away with the Master.
(b) She calls the police.
(c) She runs away into the woods with her baby.
(d) She kills the Mistress.
2. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She tells him he is handsome.
(b) She throws a rock at him.
(c) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(d) She starts pumping the well for water.
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Janie divorces Logan.
(b) Nanny dies.
(c) Logan dies.
(d) Janie has a baby.
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(a) The "change uh life."
(b) "A nekkid grandpa."
(d) "A horse rump."
5. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
(b) Tea Cake.
6. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She throws the tobacco plug at him.
(c) She gets fed up and makes fun of his aging body.
(d) She ignores him all day.
7. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
(a) She thinks Janie is sick.
(b) She thinks Janie will leave Logan.
(c) She thinks Janie is pregnant.
(d) She thinks Janie's husband has been beating her.
8. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
(a) Johnny Taylor kissing her.
(b) Janie graduating from high school.
(c) Nanny telling her it's time to get married.
(d) Janie leaving home.
9. Why does Joe buy the mule?
(a) He needs the mule to work his land.
(b) He wants Janie to take care of the mule.
(c) He wants to impress the other men.
(d) He overhears Janie saying that the mule needs rest.
10. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
(a) "All by Myself."
(b) "When the Saints Go Marching In."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "Safe in the Arms of Jesus."
11. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
(a) She lets down her hair.
(b) She covers Joe's face.
(c) She runs to get the doctor.
(d) She breaks his spittoon.
12. What does Janie do that upsets Joe in the store in Chapter 7?
(a) She drops a crate of produce.
(b) She flirts with a customer.
(c) She sits around and will not work.
(d) She cuts a plug of tobacco incorrectly.
13. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
(a) They are resentful of the way he exercises his power like a white man.
(b) They are mad at him for building the store.
(c) They are grateful for his generousity.
(d) They look up to him like a god.
14. Why does the house have no roof?
(a) Death needs no protection from the winds.
(b) A tornado has hit Pheoby's house.
(c) Janie has moved into a shack by the water with no roof.
(d) Joe is too poor to fix the hole in the roof.
15. What do the men compare beating a woman to?
(a) Sinning against God.
(b) Cooking a hamburger.
(c) Stepping on baby chickens.
(d) Teaching a lesson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
2. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
3. Jody says all women need telling, just like ____________. (Fill in the blank)
4. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
5. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)