|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
(a) He helps her close up the store.
(b) He helps her onto the train.
(c) He helps her clean the floors.
(d) He helps her tie up her hair.
2. What are Janie's neighbors doing when she arrives home?
(a) The neighbors are all asleep.
(b) The neighbors are hiding inside Janie's house to throw her a surprise party.
(c) The neighbors are gathered on Pheoby's front porch to gossip.
(d) The neighbors are building a barn.
3. What is Janie's maiden name?
4. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
(a) Soaking and washing her feet.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Making dinner.
(d) Washing her dress.
5. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
(a) He acts like a harmless imitation of Joe.
(b) He is meek and like a servant to Janie.
(c) He pretends to own the store.
(d) He is lazy and will not work.
6. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Janie divorces Logan.
(b) Logan dies.
(c) Nanny dies.
(d) Janie has a baby.
7. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
8. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
(a) Beating a dog.
(b) Stripping a woman on a crowded street.
(c) Hugging a child.
(d) Kicking a mule.
9. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
(a) They leave the carcass on Bonner's front porch.
(b) They cook it and eat it.
(c) They bury it in Joe's back yard.
(d) They drag it out to the swamp for a ceremony.
10. Who does Janie say is the only person Joe ever listened to?
(d) His mother.
11. Why does Logan go to Lake City?
(a) To look at some land.
(b) He's having an affair.
(c) To buy a mule.
(d) To get a new plow.
12. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(b) The "change uh life."
(c) "A nekkid grandpa."
(d) "A horse rump."
13. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
(b) Janie's grandmother.
(c) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
(d) Joe Starks' first wife.
14. What does Logan say that he and Nanny have done to Janie?
(a) Spoiled her.
(b) Beaten her.
(c) Raised her from birth.
(d) Ruined her appetite.
15. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
(a) The end of slavery.
(b) The first paved road in town.
(c) Joe and Janie's wedding.
(d) The first street lamp in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
2. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
3. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
4. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
5. What does Janie feel for Joe as he dies?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)