|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
(a) Her fists.
(b) Her hair.
2. What is Tea Cake's given name?
(a) Vergible Woods.
(b) Logan Killicks.
(c) Sam Malone.
(d) Sam Smith.
3. How does Jody deal with his aging?
(a) He gets plastic surgery.
(b) He hides in the back of the store so people won't see him.
(c) He runs around with young girls.
(d) He berates Janie for her aging to make himself feel better.
4. What does Janie's husband do for Janie that Nanny says won't last for long?
(a) Chops the wood and carries it inside.
(b) Sleeps on the couch.
(c) Brushes her hair at night.
(d) Cooks dinner.
5. Who is elected mayor of Eatonville?
6. Why is Tea Cake in Eatonville?
(a) He is looking for a job.
(b) He has come to court Janie.
(c) He wants to buy Janie's store.
(d) He thought the ball game was there.
7. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Janie's grandmother.
(b) Joe Starks' first wife.
(c) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
(d) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
8. What does Joe do after the big fight with Janie?
(a) He closes down the store.
(b) He tells Janie to pack up and leave him.
(c) He moves into another bedroom in the house.
(d) He apologizes to Janie.
9. Logan says Janie acts like she thinks she is ______. (Fill in the blank)
(c) A queen.
(d) A man.
10. How does Janie feel about Tea Cake at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She thinks he is a thief.
(b) She is annoyed with him.
(c) She is afraid of him.
(d) She feels like she's known him all her life.
11. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
(a) To Orlando for the season.
(b) To church.
(c) To a ball game in Winter Park.
(d) To a barbecue in Janie's honor.
12. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
(a) She burns all of Joe's belongings.
(b) She burns her head rags.
(c) She packs her bags to leave town.
(d) She cries herself to sleep.
13. What does Logan want Janie to do while she is making breakfast?
(a) Help him shoe a horse.
(b) Help him move the manure pile.
(c) Bring him some water.
(d) Go into town for groceries.
14. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
(a) She sends Janie to a different school.
(b) She homeschools Janie.
(c) She buys them some land and their own house.
(d) She yells at the other children.
15. What does everyone call the "boy" Janie left with?
(a) Baby Boy.
(b) Rum Pan.
(c) Big Mouth.
(d) Tea Cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Janie get a doctor from?
2. Who does Nanny propose that Janie marry?
3. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
4. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
5. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)