|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe say someone like Janie is "made to do"?
(a) Work at a dress shop.
(b) Sit on the porch and rock and fan herself.
(c) Teach in a school.
(d) Work the plow.
2. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
3. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
(a) He says it is beneath her.
(b) He says she needs to tend the store.
(c) He wants her to be jealous.
(d) He is afraid she will get too upset.
4. What does Janie keep waiting for after her marriage?
(a) To move to another city.
(b) To have a baby.
(c) To get a new dress.
(d) To fall in love with her husband.
5. What does Joe do to hurt Janie in Chapter 8?
(a) Moves another woman into the house.
(b) Sells all of her clothes .
(c) Refuses food from her.
(d) Tells the doctor not to tell her anything.
6. Logan says Janie acts like she thinks she is ______. (Fill in the blank)
(a) A man.
(c) A queen.
7. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
(b) Joe Brown.
(c) Tea Cake.
(d) Logan Killicks.
8. Where does Janie get a doctor from?
(b) The Mayo Clinic.
9. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
(a) She calls the police.
(b) She kills the Mistress.
(c) She runs away with the Master.
(d) She runs away into the woods with her baby.
10. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
(a) Lunch time.
11. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
(a) "When the Saints Go Marching In."
(b) "All by Myself."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "Safe in the Arms of Jesus."
12. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
(b) Tea Cake.
13. What is the subject of most of the jokes told on the porch?
(a) Joe's clothes.
(c) Janie's hair.
(d) Matt Bonner's mule.
14. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
(a) She married a soldier.
(b) She spent the night with a white man.
(c) Nanny sells her to a white man.
(d) She was raped by the school teacher.
15. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He slaps her face.
(b) He throws the food out the window.
(c) He tells her it's okay.
(d) He kicks her out of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Janie's neighbors doing when she arrives home?
2. What is the rumor going around about Joe's illness?
3. Who does Janie say is the only person Joe ever listened to?
4. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
5. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)