|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
(a) His silk suit.
(b) His gold spittoon.
(c) His wife.
(d) His feathered hat.
2. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
3. Why does the house have no roof?
(a) Death needs no protection from the winds.
(b) Janie has moved into a shack by the water with no roof.
(c) Joe is too poor to fix the hole in the roof.
(d) A tornado has hit Pheoby's house.
4. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She throws a rock at him.
(b) She starts pumping the well for water.
(c) She tells him he is handsome.
(d) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
5. Where is Joe Starks from?
(a) Up north.
6. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
(a) The school yard.
(b) The pear tree.
(c) The rose bush.
(d) The front gate.
7. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
8. How does Janie feel about Tea Cake at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She is annoyed with him.
(b) She thinks he is a thief.
(c) She is afraid of him.
(d) She feels like she's known him all her life.
9. Why does Joe buy the mule?
(a) He wants Janie to take care of the mule.
(b) He overhears Janie saying that the mule needs rest.
(c) He wants to impress the other men.
(d) He needs the mule to work his land.
10. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
11. What do the men compare beating a woman to?
(a) Teaching a lesson.
(b) Sinning against God.
(c) Stepping on baby chickens.
(d) Cooking a hamburger.
12. What does Janie like about the store?
(a) That she gets to work with Joe.
(b) The independence she feels by running the store.
(c) The conversations on the porch.
(d) The people who visit her.
13. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
(a) To a ball game in Winter Park.
(b) To church.
(c) To a barbecue in Janie's honor.
(d) To Orlando for the season.
14. What does Janie have in her new home that none of the other blacks in town have?
(a) A feather bed.
(b) A wood-burning stove.
(c) A bathtub.
(d) An organ.
15. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
(a) Pay him for his advice.
(b) Start a city council.
(d) Build a bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
2. What is Pheoby's husband's name?
3. Who tells Janie about this rumor?
4. What actually kills Joe?
5. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)