|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tea Cake's given name?
(a) Sam Smith.
(b) Logan Killicks.
(c) Sam Malone.
(d) Vergible Woods.
2. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
3. How do the townspeople react to the scene between Jody and Janie in the store?
(a) They lose respect for Joe.
(b) They all leave the store.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They encourage Joe to beat Janie.
4. How does Jody deal with his aging?
(a) He runs around with young girls.
(b) He berates Janie for her aging to make himself feel better.
(c) He gets plastic surgery.
(d) He hides in the back of the store so people won't see him.
5. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
(a) Janie talks differently than the other kids.
(b) Janie gets better grades than them.
(c) Janie's clothes are better than the other kids' clothes.
(d) Janie makes fun of the other girls.
6. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
7. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) Mulatto rice.
(b) Turkey and dressing.
(c) Vegetable stew.
(d) A ham sandwich.
8. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
(a) How small it is.
(b) How many people live there.
(c) How large the town is.
(d) That there are no blacks there.
9. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
10. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
(a) A baked treat.
(b) A hand cream.
(c) A beating with the fists.
(d) A meat pie.
11. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
(a) He says she needs to tend the store.
(b) He wants her to be jealous.
(c) He is afraid she will get too upset.
(d) He says it is beneath her.
12. What do the other children tease Janie about?
(a) Janie's poor family.
(b) The hound dogs chasing Janie's father.
(c) The way Janie's grandmother talks.
(d) Janie's good grades in school.
13. What does Janie's husband do for Janie that Nanny says won't last for long?
(a) Chops the wood and carries it inside.
(b) Cooks dinner.
(c) Brushes her hair at night.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
14. What does Joe's death mean to Janie?
15. Who comes into the store while everyone is away?
(c) Tea Cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Janie get a doctor from?
2. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
3. How old is Joe in Chapter 7?
4. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
5. Whose house has no roof?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)