|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
(a) Janie talks differently than the other kids.
(b) Janie's clothes are better than the other kids' clothes.
(c) Janie gets better grades than them.
(d) Janie makes fun of the other girls.
2. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Play checkers.
(b) Braid her hair.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Ride a horse.
3. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
(a) Johnny Taylor kissing her.
(b) Nanny telling her it's time to get married.
(c) Janie leaving home.
(d) Janie graduating from high school.
4. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
(a) A house.
(b) A store.
(c) A barn.
(d) A saw mill.
5. Jody says all women need telling, just like ____________. (Fill in the blank)
(c) Children and chickens and cows.
(d) Black people.
6. How does Janie feel about Tea Cake at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) She is annoyed with him.
(b) She thinks he is a thief.
(c) She is afraid of him.
(d) She feels like she's known him all her life.
7. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
(d) Lunch time.
8. What does Janie have to do when Logan goes to Lake City for the day?
(a) Cut up potatoes.
(b) Pack him a lunch.
(c) Plow the field.
(d) Go to the grocery store.
9. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He kicks her out of the house.
(b) He throws the food out the window.
(c) He tells her it's okay.
(d) He slaps her face.
10. What does Logan want Janie to do while she is making breakfast?
(a) Go into town for groceries.
(b) Bring him some water.
(c) Help him move the manure pile.
(d) Help him shoe a horse.
11. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
(a) Soaking and washing her feet.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Washing her dress.
(d) Making dinner.
12. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
13. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Logan dies.
(b) Janie divorces Logan.
(c) Nanny dies.
(d) Janie has a baby.
14. What does Janie find difficult about tending the store?
(a) Handling the meat.
(b) The crowds.
(c) The calculations.
(d) The customer service.
15. What actually kills Joe?
(a) A shot fired through the window.
(b) Janie suffocates him.
(c) The last effort to lash out at Janie.
(d) He drinks poison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Janie's neighbors want to know about her?
2. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
3. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
4. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
5. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)