|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes into the store while everyone is away?
(d) Tea Cake.
2. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
3. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
(a) A beating with the fists.
(b) A meat pie.
(c) A baked treat.
(d) A hand cream.
4. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
(a) They drag it out to the swamp for a ceremony.
(b) They leave the carcass on Bonner's front porch.
(c) They bury it in Joe's back yard.
(d) They cook it and eat it.
5. What does Janie have to do when Logan goes to Lake City for the day?
(a) Plow the field.
(b) Cut up potatoes.
(c) Pack him a lunch.
(d) Go to the grocery store.
6. Why does Joe get mad at Janie in Chapter 6?
(a) He cannot find a bill of lading in the store.
(b) She yells at him on the porch.
(c) She wears lipstick to church.
(d) She has an affair with another man.
7. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
(a) Two days.
(b) Six months.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
8. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
9. What actually kills Joe?
(a) The last effort to lash out at Janie.
(b) Janie suffocates him.
(c) He drinks poison.
(d) A shot fired through the window.
10. Who does Nanny propose that Janie marry?
(a) Nathaniel Washburn.
(b) Brody Jenks.
(c) Johnny Taylor.
(d) Logan Killicks.
11. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) Mulatto rice.
(b) Vegetable stew.
(c) Turkey and dressing.
(d) A ham sandwich.
12. How does Janie suggest that Tea Cake get home?
(a) On foot.
(b) By car.
(c) By horse.
(d) By train.
13. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
(a) A party mask.
(b) A burial shroud.
(c) A bridal veil.
(d) A wall of stone and steel.
14. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
(a) They are mad at him for building the store.
(b) They look up to him like a god.
(c) They are grateful for his generousity.
(d) They are resentful of the way he exercises his power like a white man.
15. Who helps Janie in the store after Joe is dead?
(a) Tea Cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
2. Who tells Janie about this rumor?
3. What does Janie find difficult about tending the store?
4. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
5. Who does Janie say is the only person Joe ever listened to?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)