|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everyone call the "boy" Janie left with?
(a) Big Mouth.
(b) Rum Pan.
(c) Tea Cake.
(d) Baby Boy.
2. What are Janie's neighbors doing when she arrives home?
(a) The neighbors are hiding inside Janie's house to throw her a surprise party.
(b) The neighbors are all asleep.
(c) The neighbors are building a barn.
(d) The neighbors are gathered on Pheoby's front porch to gossip.
3. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Six months.
4. Who is elected mayor of Eatonville?
5. Why does Joe buy the mule?
(a) He needs the mule to work his land.
(b) He wants to impress the other men.
(c) He wants Janie to take care of the mule.
(d) He overhears Janie saying that the mule needs rest.
6. What is Pheoby's husband's name?
7. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
8. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Janie has a baby.
(b) Janie divorces Logan.
(c) Nanny dies.
(d) Logan dies.
9. What makes Janie take notice of Joe Starks?
(a) His clothes and the way he walks.
(b) His dirty face.
(c) He whistles at her.
(d) He is running into town.
10. Why does Joe get mad at Janie in Chapter 6?
(a) She yells at him on the porch.
(b) She has an affair with another man.
(c) She wears lipstick to church.
(d) He cannot find a bill of lading in the store.
11. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
(b) Joe Brown.
(c) Logan Killicks.
(d) Tea Cake.
12. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
(a) They are resentful of the way he exercises his power like a white man.
(b) They are mad at him for building the store.
(c) They look up to him like a god.
(d) They are grateful for his generousity.
13. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
14. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Ride a horse.
(b) Drive a car.
(c) Play checkers.
(d) Braid her hair.
15. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
(a) Janie makes fun of the other girls.
(b) Janie talks differently than the other kids.
(c) Janie gets better grades than them.
(d) Janie's clothes are better than the other kids' clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
2. Whose house has no roof?
3. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
4. Who helps Janie in the store after Joe is dead?
5. Why does Logan go to Lake City?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)