|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Logan says Janie acts like she thinks she is ______. (Fill in the blank)
(a) A queen.
(b) A man.
2. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
(c) Tea Cake.
3. What does Janie like about the store?
(a) That she gets to work with Joe.
(b) The people who visit her.
(c) The conversations on the porch.
(d) The independence she feels by running the store.
4. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
5. Whose house has no roof?
6. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
(b) A husband.
(c) A new house.
7. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
(a) A post office.
(b) A church.
(c) A paved road.
(d) A mayor.
8. Who does Nanny propose that Janie marry?
(a) Nathaniel Washburn.
(b) Brody Jenks.
(c) Logan Killicks.
(d) Johnny Taylor.
9. What is an alternate name for Eatonville?
(a) West Maitland.
(b) The Everglades.
(c) East Tampa.
10. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
(a) She was raped by the school teacher.
(b) She spent the night with a white man.
(c) Nanny sells her to a white man.
(d) She married a soldier.
11. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
(a) Start a city council.
(b) Pay him for his advice.
(d) Build a bridge.
12. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
(a) She cries herself to sleep.
(b) She burns her head rags.
(c) She packs her bags to leave town.
(d) She burns all of Joe's belongings.
13. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He slaps her face.
(b) He tells her it's okay.
(c) He throws the food out the window.
(d) He kicks her out of the house.
14. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
(a) How small it is.
(b) How many people live there.
(c) That there are no blacks there.
(d) How large the town is.
15. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(a) "A nekkid grandpa."
(b) The "change uh life."
(c) "A horse rump."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
2. What does Nanny call the "very prong all us black women gits hung on"?
3. What does Hurston compare Janie to in Chapter 7?
4. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
5. Where does Janie get married?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)