|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Janie leave Jody?
(a) She is afraid he will find her.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has nowhere to go.
(d) She truly loves him.
2. What does Joe buy from Mr. Eaton?
(a) A house.
(b) 200 more acres of land.
(c) A dress for Janie.
(d) A mule.
3. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
(a) He wants her to be jealous.
(b) He is afraid she will get too upset.
(c) He says she needs to tend the store.
(d) He says it is beneath her.
4. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
(a) They bury it in Joe's back yard.
(b) They drag it out to the swamp for a ceremony.
(c) They cook it and eat it.
(d) They leave the carcass on Bonner's front porch.
5. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
(c) Her fists.
(d) Her hair.
6. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
7. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
(a) Janie's love.
(d) Physical force.
8. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
(a) The school yard.
(b) The front gate.
(c) The pear tree.
(d) The rose bush.
9. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
10. What is an alternate name for Eatonville?
(a) East Tampa.
(b) The Everglades.
(d) West Maitland.
11. What does Joe say someone like Janie is "made to do"?
(a) Work the plow.
(b) Work at a dress shop.
(c) Sit on the porch and rock and fan herself.
(d) Teach in a school.
12. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) Vegetable stew.
(b) Turkey and dressing.
(c) A ham sandwich.
(d) Mulatto rice.
13. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He kicks her out of the house.
(b) He slaps her face.
(c) He tells her it's okay.
(d) He throws the food out the window.
14. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She gets fed up and makes fun of his aging body.
(c) She ignores him all day.
(d) She throws the tobacco plug at him.
15. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
(a) A sunset.
(b) A sunrise.
(c) A ripe fruit.
(d) A blossoming tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
2. Where is Joe Starks from?
3. What is the cause of Joe's illness.
4. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
5. What does Janie like about the store?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)