|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(b) She tells him he is handsome.
(c) She throws a rock at him.
(d) She starts pumping the well for water.
2. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
(c) Lunch time.
3. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
(c) The horizon.
4. Why does Joe buy the mule?
(a) He wants Janie to take care of the mule.
(b) He overhears Janie saying that the mule needs rest.
(c) He needs the mule to work his land.
(d) He wants to impress the other men.
5. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
(a) She sends Janie to a different school.
(b) She buys them some land and their own house.
(c) She homeschools Janie.
(d) She yells at the other children.
6. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
7. What does Logan say that he and Nanny have done to Janie?
(a) Beaten her.
(b) Ruined her appetite.
(c) Raised her from birth.
(d) Spoiled her.
8. What makes the Mistress suspect that Nanny's newborn baby is part white?
(a) The baby is always hidden .
(b) The baby's gray eyes and yellow hair.
(c) The plantation Master sends the baby away.
(d) The baby's fair skin.
9. What do Janie's neighbors want to know about her?
(a) Where all her money is.
(b) Why she has come home.
(c) Where her boyfriend is.
(d) All of the above.
10. What does Janie find unattractive about her husband in Chapter 3?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He doesn't wash his feet before bed.
(c) His belly.
(d) His toenails.
11. Who is elected mayor of Eatonville?
12. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
(a) A husband.
(d) A new house.
13. What makes Janie take notice of Joe Starks?
(a) He is running into town.
(b) He whistles at her.
(c) His clothes and the way he walks.
(d) His dirty face.
14. Where is Tea Cake from?
15. Who is Janie's best friend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
2. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
3. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
4. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
5. Logan says Janie acts like she thinks she is ______. (Fill in the blank)
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)