|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many acres does Janie's new home sit on?
(a) 60 acres.
(b) 10 acres.
(c) 1 acre.
(d) 100 acres.
2. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
(a) A blossoming tree.
(b) A sunset.
(c) A ripe fruit.
(d) A sunrise.
3. What does Janie have to do when Logan goes to Lake City for the day?
(a) Cut up potatoes.
(b) Pack him a lunch.
(c) Go to the grocery store.
(d) Plow the field.
4. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She throws a rock at him.
(b) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(c) She tells him he is handsome.
(d) She starts pumping the well for water.
5. Who comes into the store while everyone is away?
(d) Tea Cake.
6. Who is elected mayor of Eatonville?
7. What is the cause of Joe's illness.
(a) He has a broken heart.
(b) His kidneys are shutting down.
(c) He has been poisoned.
(d) He drinks too much.
8. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
9. What do Tea Cake and Janie drink at the store?
(a) Root beer.
(d) Coca Cola.
10. What is the subject of most of the jokes told on the porch?
(b) Janie's hair.
(c) Joe's clothes.
(d) Matt Bonner's mule.
11. What does Nanny call the "very prong all us black women gits hung on"?
12. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
(a) She buys them some land and their own house.
(b) She homeschools Janie.
(c) She yells at the other children.
(d) She sends Janie to a different school.
13. Logan says Janie acts like she thinks she is ______. (Fill in the blank)
(c) A queen.
(d) A man.
14. What does Logan say that he and Nanny have done to Janie?
(a) Ruined her appetite.
(b) Spoiled her.
(c) Beaten her.
(d) Raised her from birth.
15. What does Logan want Janie to do while she is making breakfast?
(a) Bring him some water.
(b) Help him shoe a horse.
(c) Help him move the manure pile.
(d) Go into town for groceries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
2. Why does Joe buy the mule?
3. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
4. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
5. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)