|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of most of the jokes told on the porch?
(a) Janie's hair.
(c) Matt Bonner's mule.
(d) Joe's clothes.
2. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
3. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Play checkers.
(b) Ride a horse.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Braid her hair.
4. Who tells Janie about this rumor?
(a) Pheoby Watson.
(b) Matt Bonner.
(c) Logan Killicks.
(d) Joe Starks.
5. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) A ham sandwich.
(b) Vegetable stew.
(c) Turkey and dressing.
(d) Mulatto rice.
6. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Janie's grandmother.
(b) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
(c) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
(d) Joe Starks' first wife.
7. What does Hurston compare Janie to in Chapter 7?
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A child.
(c) A mule.
(d) A rut in the road.
8. What does Janie have to do when Logan goes to Lake City for the day?
(a) Plow the field.
(b) Pack him a lunch.
(c) Cut up potatoes.
(d) Go to the grocery store.
9. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He slaps her face.
(b) He kicks her out of the house.
(c) He tells her it's okay.
(d) He throws the food out the window.
10. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
(d) Lunch time.
11. What does Joe do to hurt Janie in Chapter 8?
(a) Moves another woman into the house.
(b) Tells the doctor not to tell her anything.
(c) Sells all of her clothes .
(d) Refuses food from her.
12. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
(a) Nanny telling her it's time to get married.
(b) Janie leaving home.
(c) Johnny Taylor kissing her.
(d) Janie graduating from high school.
13. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
(a) To a barbecue in Janie's honor.
(b) To Orlando for the season.
(c) To a ball game in Winter Park.
(d) To church.
14. How many acres does Janie's new home sit on?
(a) 60 acres.
(b) 100 acres.
(c) 10 acres.
(d) 1 acre.
15. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
(a) She gets fed up and makes fun of his aging body.
(b) She throws the tobacco plug at him.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She ignores him all day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Janie feel about Tea Cake at the end of Chapter 10?
2. Who helps Janie in the store after Joe is dead?
3. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
4. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
5. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)