|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men compare beating a woman to?
(a) Sinning against God.
(b) Teaching a lesson.
(c) Cooking a hamburger.
(d) Stepping on baby chickens.
2. What does Janie do at home after the funeral?
(a) She cries herself to sleep.
(b) She burns her head rags.
(c) She burns all of Joe's belongings.
(d) She packs her bags to leave town.
3. Why does Tea Cake say he will come back to visit Janie?
(a) To teach her more about checkers.
(b) To take her out to dinner.
(c) To pay her for his groceries.
(d) To bring her flowers.
4. What does Joe do after the big fight with Janie?
(a) He closes down the store.
(b) He apologizes to Janie.
(c) He tells Janie to pack up and leave him.
(d) He moves into another bedroom in the house.
5. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
(a) She runs away into the woods with her baby.
(b) She kills the Mistress.
(c) She calls the police.
(d) She runs away with the Master.
6. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Janie's grandmother.
(b) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
(c) Joe Starks' first wife.
(d) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
7. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
(a) He helps her onto the train.
(b) He helps her close up the store.
(c) He helps her tie up her hair.
(d) He helps her clean the floors.
8. What does Nanny call the "very prong all us black women gits hung on"?
9. What does Janie have in her new home that none of the other blacks in town have?
(a) An organ.
(b) A wood-burning stove.
(c) A bathtub.
(d) A feather bed.
10. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
11. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
12. Why doesn't Janie leave Jody?
(a) She is afraid he will find her.
(b) She has nowhere to go.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She truly loves him.
13. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
(a) Writing a letter.
(b) Soaking and washing her feet.
(c) Making dinner.
(d) Washing her dress.
14. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
(a) His silk suit.
(b) His feathered hat.
(c) His gold spittoon.
(d) His wife.
15. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
(a) Kicking a mule.
(b) Beating a dog.
(c) Stripping a woman on a crowded street.
(d) Hugging a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody deal with his aging?
2. Where is Tea Cake from?
3. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
4. Why does Joe buy the mule?
5. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)