|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
(a) Leave Logan and marry him.
(b) Cut her hair off.
(c) Kill her husband.
(d) Mend his socks.
2. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
(a) A post office.
(b) A paved road.
(c) A church.
(d) A mayor.
3. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
(a) Nanny telling her it's time to get married.
(b) Janie graduating from high school.
(c) Johnny Taylor kissing her.
(d) Janie leaving home.
4. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
(a) She was raped by the school teacher.
(b) She spent the night with a white man.
(c) She married a soldier.
(d) Nanny sells her to a white man.
5. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She starts pumping the well for water.
(b) She throws a rock at him.
(c) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(d) She tells him he is handsome.
6. Why does Logan go to Lake City?
(a) To buy a mule.
(b) To get a new plow.
(c) He's having an affair.
(d) To look at some land.
7. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
(c) Lunch time.
8. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
(c) Baby Girl.
(d) Little One.
9. What actually kills Joe?
(a) Janie suffocates him.
(b) A shot fired through the window.
(c) The last effort to lash out at Janie.
(d) He drinks poison.
10. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
(a) His silk suit.
(b) His feathered hat.
(c) His gold spittoon.
(d) His wife.
11. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
(d) The horizon.
12. What is Janie's maiden name?
13. How many acres does Janie's new home sit on?
(a) 60 acres.
(b) 10 acres.
(c) 1 acre.
(d) 100 acres.
14. What do the men compare beating a woman to?
(a) Cooking a hamburger.
(b) Teaching a lesson.
(c) Sinning against God.
(d) Stepping on baby chickens.
15. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
(a) A store.
(b) A barn.
(c) A saw mill.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an alternate name for Eatonville?
2. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
3. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
4. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
5. What do the men who try to court Janie really want?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)