|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Janie's neighbors want to know about her?
(a) Why she has come home.
(b) Where her boyfriend is.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Where all her money is.
2. What does Logan say that he and Nanny have done to Janie?
(a) Beaten her.
(b) Ruined her appetite.
(c) Spoiled her.
(d) Raised her from birth.
3. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He kicks her out of the house.
(b) He tells her it's okay.
(c) He throws the food out the window.
(d) He slaps her face.
4. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
(a) He makes her stay in the house all day.
(b) He makes her mop the floors of the store.
(c) He makes her wear an ugly dress.
(d) He makes her tie up her hair when she is in the store.
5. Why does the house have no roof?
(a) A tornado has hit Pheoby's house.
(b) Joe is too poor to fix the hole in the roof.
(c) Death needs no protection from the winds.
(d) Janie has moved into a shack by the water with no roof.
6. When does Janie realize she is not white?
(a) When she sees a picture of herself with the white children.
(b) When her grandmother tells her.
(c) When the kids at school tease her.
(d) When she looks in the mirror.
7. What does Janie feel for Joe as he dies?
8. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
9. What does Janie do that upsets Joe in the store in Chapter 7?
(a) She sits around and will not work.
(b) She cuts a plug of tobacco incorrectly.
(c) She drops a crate of produce.
(d) She flirts with a customer.
10. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
(a) He says it is beneath her.
(b) He says she needs to tend the store.
(c) He is afraid she will get too upset.
(d) He wants her to be jealous.
11. How does Jody deal with his aging?
(a) He runs around with young girls.
(b) He berates Janie for her aging to make himself feel better.
(c) He hides in the back of the store so people won't see him.
(d) He gets plastic surgery.
12. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
(a) To a ball game in Winter Park.
(b) To Orlando for the season.
(c) To church.
(d) To a barbecue in Janie's honor.
13. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
14. What does Janie keep waiting for after her marriage?
(a) To fall in love with her husband.
(b) To have a baby.
(c) To move to another city.
(d) To get a new dress.
15. What does everyone call the "boy" Janie left with?
(a) Rum Pan.
(b) Tea Cake.
(c) Baby Boy.
(d) Big Mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
2. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
3. What does Janie like about the store?
4. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
5. What is Tea Cake's given name?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)