|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Janie get a doctor from?
(d) The Mayo Clinic.
2. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
(a) Her fists.
(b) Her hair.
3. Why is Tea Cake in Eatonville?
(a) He is looking for a job.
(b) He wants to buy Janie's store.
(c) He thought the ball game was there.
(d) He has come to court Janie.
4. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
(a) They are resentful of the way he exercises his power like a white man.
(b) They look up to him like a god.
(c) They are grateful for his generousity.
(d) They are mad at him for building the store.
5. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
(a) A hand cream.
(b) A beating with the fists.
(c) A meat pie.
(d) A baked treat.
6. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
(a) He acts like a harmless imitation of Joe.
(b) He pretends to own the store.
(c) He is lazy and will not work.
(d) He is meek and like a servant to Janie.
7. What is the subject of most of the jokes told on the porch?
(a) Joe's clothes.
(c) Janie's hair.
(d) Matt Bonner's mule.
8. How old is Joe in Chapter 7?
9. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
10. What does Logan say that he and Nanny have done to Janie?
(a) Beaten her.
(b) Spoiled her.
(c) Raised her from birth.
(d) Ruined her appetite.
11. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
(a) She calls the police.
(b) She runs away into the woods with her baby.
(c) She runs away with the Master.
(d) She kills the Mistress.
12. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
(a) Start a city council.
(b) Pay him for his advice.
(d) Build a bridge.
13. What does Janie have in her new home that none of the other blacks in town have?
(a) A feather bed.
(b) A wood-burning stove.
(c) A bathtub.
(d) An organ.
14. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
(a) The first street lamp in town.
(b) Joe and Janie's wedding.
(c) The first paved road in town.
(d) The end of slavery.
15. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
(a) The pear tree.
(b) The front gate.
(c) The rose bush.
(d) The school yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
2. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
3. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
4. What actually kills Joe?
5. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)