|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Joe Starks from?
(d) Up north.
2. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
(a) He makes her stay in the house all day.
(b) He makes her wear an ugly dress.
(c) He makes her tie up her hair when she is in the store.
(d) He makes her mop the floors of the store.
3. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
(a) One month.
(b) Two days.
(c) Six months.
(d) One week.
4. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(a) "A horse rump."
(c) "A nekkid grandpa."
(d) The "change uh life."
5. What does Janie want to seek instead of things?
6. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
(a) He is afraid she will get too upset.
(b) He says it is beneath her.
(c) He wants her to be jealous.
(d) He says she needs to tend the store.
7. What does Hurston compare Janie to in Chapter 7?
(a) A child.
(b) A mule.
(c) A rut in the road.
(d) A rainbow.
8. What does Janie find difficult about tending the store?
(a) The crowds.
(b) The calculations.
(c) The customer service.
(d) Handling the meat.
9. What does Janie find unattractive about her husband in Chapter 3?
(a) His toenails.
(b) He doesn't wash his feet before bed.
(c) His belly.
(d) All of the above.
10. Who does Janie say is the only person Joe ever listened to?
(c) His mother.
11. Who does Janie compare Jody to in her speech?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) King Solomon.
(c) Logan Killicks.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
12. Where is Tea Cake from?
13. What is the subject of most of the jokes told on the porch?
(b) Joe's clothes.
(c) Matt Bonner's mule.
(d) Janie's hair.
14. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
15. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
2. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
3. Where does Janie get married?
4. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
5. Who does Nanny propose that Janie marry?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)