|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is elected mayor of Eatonville?
2. What does Janie feel for Joe as he dies?
3. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
(a) He makes her stay in the house all day.
(b) He makes her wear an ugly dress.
(c) He makes her mop the floors of the store.
(d) He makes her tie up her hair when she is in the store.
4. When does Janie realize she is not white?
(a) When her grandmother tells her.
(b) When she sees a picture of herself with the white children.
(c) When the kids at school tease her.
(d) When she looks in the mirror.
5. Why does Joe get mad at Janie in Chapter 6?
(a) He cannot find a bill of lading in the store.
(b) She yells at him on the porch.
(c) She has an affair with another man.
(d) She wears lipstick to church.
6. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
(a) She spent the night with a white man.
(b) She was raped by the school teacher.
(c) She married a soldier.
(d) Nanny sells her to a white man.
7. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) Mulatto rice.
(b) Vegetable stew.
(c) A ham sandwich.
(d) Turkey and dressing.
8. What actually kills Joe?
(a) The last effort to lash out at Janie.
(b) A shot fired through the window.
(c) Janie suffocates him.
(d) He drinks poison.
9. Who helps Janie in the store after Joe is dead?
(c) Tea Cake.
10. What does Joe do after the big fight with Janie?
(a) He apologizes to Janie.
(b) He moves into another bedroom in the house.
(c) He tells Janie to pack up and leave him.
(d) He closes down the store.
11. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
(a) She goes back to bed.
(b) She helps Logan with some chores.
(c) She leaves to meet up with Joe and run away with him.
(d) She goes into town for groceries.
12. What does everyone call the "boy" Janie left with?
(a) Baby Boy.
(b) Big Mouth.
(c) Tea Cake.
(d) Rum Pan.
13. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
(b) Start a city council.
(c) Pay him for his advice.
(d) Build a bridge.
14. What does Janie compare Jody's body to?
(a) "A nekkid grandpa."
(c) "A horse rump."
(d) The "change uh life."
15. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
(a) She throws the tobacco plug at him.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She ignores him all day.
(d) She gets fed up and makes fun of his aging body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
2. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
3. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
4. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
5. Why does the house have no roof?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)