|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hurston compare Janie to in Chapter 7?
(a) A child.
(b) A rainbow.
(c) A mule.
(d) A rut in the road.
2. Where does Janie get married?
(a) In Nanny's parlor.
(b) In the Washburns' back yard.
(c) In Miami.
(d) At the Baptist church.
3. Who does Janie say is the only person Joe ever listened to?
(c) His mother.
4. What does Joe buy from Mr. Eaton?
(a) 200 more acres of land.
(b) A dress for Janie.
(c) A house.
(d) A mule.
5. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
(a) She runs to get the doctor.
(b) She covers Joe's face.
(c) She breaks his spittoon.
(d) She lets down her hair.
6. What does Janie do that upsets Joe in the store in Chapter 7?
(a) She flirts with a customer.
(b) She sits around and will not work.
(c) She cuts a plug of tobacco incorrectly.
(d) She drops a crate of produce.
7. Why is Tea Cake in Eatonville?
(a) He wants to buy Janie's store.
(b) He has come to court Janie.
(c) He thought the ball game was there.
(d) He is looking for a job.
8. When does Janie realize she is not white?
(a) When the kids at school tease her.
(b) When she sees a picture of herself with the white children.
(c) When her grandmother tells her.
(d) When she looks in the mirror.
9. What surprises Jody and Janie about Eatonville?
(a) How small it is.
(b) That there are no blacks there.
(c) How large the town is.
(d) How many people live there.
10. Jody says all women need telling, just like ____________. (Fill in the blank)
(a) Black people.
(c) Children and chickens and cows.
11. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
(a) His feathered hat.
(b) His wife.
(c) His silk suit.
(d) His gold spittoon.
12. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
(a) Little One.
(b) Baby Girl.
13. What does Janie's grandmother do to make things easier for Janie with the other black children?
(a) She yells at the other children.
(b) She homeschools Janie.
(c) She sends Janie to a different school.
(d) She buys them some land and their own house.
14. What does Janie learn to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Braid her hair.
(b) Ride a horse.
(c) Drive a car.
(d) Play checkers.
15. What is an alternate name for Eatonville?
(a) West Maitland.
(c) East Tampa.
(d) The Everglades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie have to do when Logan goes to Lake City for the day?
2. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
3. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
4. What does Janie like about the store?
5. Who helps Janie in the store after Joe is dead?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)