|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
(a) He makes her wear an ugly dress.
(b) He makes her tie up her hair when she is in the store.
(c) He makes her mop the floors of the store.
(d) He makes her stay in the house all day.
2. What does Janie have in her new home that none of the other blacks in town have?
(a) A wood-burning stove.
(b) A feather bed.
(c) A bathtub.
(d) An organ.
3. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
(a) Tea Cake.
4. How old is Joe in Chapter 7?
5. After they've been married for about a year, what does Logan tell Janie she can now do for herself?
(a) Clean the house.
(b) Bring the chopped wood inside.
(c) Fix the wagon.
(d) Move out of the house.
6. Why does Joe get mad at Janie in Chapter 6?
(a) She wears lipstick to church.
(b) She has an affair with another man.
(c) He cannot find a bill of lading in the store.
(d) She yells at him on the porch.
7. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
(a) He helps her clean the floors.
(b) He helps her tie up her hair.
(c) He helps her close up the store.
(d) He helps her onto the train.
8. Why does Logan go to Lake City?
(a) To buy a mule.
(b) To look at some land.
(c) To get a new plow.
(d) He's having an affair.
9. How do the townspeople react to the scene between Jody and Janie in the store?
(a) They lose respect for Joe.
(b) They encourage Joe to beat Janie.
(c) They all leave the store.
(d) They are embarrassed.
10. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) A ham sandwich.
(b) Mulatto rice.
(c) Turkey and dressing.
(d) Vegetable stew.
11. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
(a) Her fists.
(d) Her hair.
12. What does Joe want the town to have that the men of Eatonville say the white men won't give him?
(a) A post office.
(b) A mayor.
(c) A church.
(d) A paved road.
13. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(b) She tells him he is handsome.
(c) She starts pumping the well for water.
(d) She throws a rock at him.
14. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
15. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
(a) A sunset.
(b) A blossoming tree.
(c) A sunrise.
(d) A ripe fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of most of the jokes told on the porch?
2. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
3. What does Joe ask Janie to do?
4. Logan says Janie acts like she thinks she is ______. (Fill in the blank)
5. What are Janie's neighbors doing when she arrives home?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)