|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
2. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
(a) He wants her to be jealous.
(b) He is afraid she will get too upset.
(c) He says she needs to tend the store.
(d) He says it is beneath her.
3. Where is everyone headed in Chapter 10?
(a) To church.
(b) To a ball game in Winter Park.
(c) To Orlando for the season.
(d) To a barbecue in Janie's honor.
4. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
(a) They cook it and eat it.
(b) They leave the carcass on Bonner's front porch.
(c) They bury it in Joe's back yard.
(d) They drag it out to the swamp for a ceremony.
5. Where is Tea Cake from?
6. What do the other children tease Janie about?
(a) The hound dogs chasing Janie's father.
(b) Janie's good grades in school.
(c) The way Janie's grandmother talks.
(d) Janie's poor family.
7. What does Janie keep waiting for after her marriage?
(a) To get a new dress.
(b) To fall in love with her husband.
(c) To move to another city.
(d) To have a baby.
8. What does Janie do to get Joe's attention?
(a) She starts pumping the well for water.
(b) She asks if he wants to come in and rest.
(c) She throws a rock at him.
(d) She tells him he is handsome.
9. What is the first thing Janie does once Joe is dead?
(a) She lets down her hair.
(b) She breaks his spittoon.
(c) She runs to get the doctor.
(d) She covers Joe's face.
10. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
(a) Little One.
(b) Baby Girl.
11. What is Tea Cake's given name?
(a) Vergible Woods.
(b) Logan Killicks.
(c) Sam Malone.
(d) Sam Smith.
12. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
(a) A barn.
(b) A store.
(c) A saw mill.
(d) A house.
13. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
(a) The school yard.
(b) The front gate.
(c) The rose bush.
(d) The pear tree.
14. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
(b) Janie's grandmother.
(c) Joe Starks' first wife.
(d) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
15. Whose house has no roof?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
2. What is a "pound of knuckle pudding"?
3. How does Jody deal with his aging?
4. What does Logan want Janie to do while she is making breakfast?
5. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)