|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Logan want Janie to do while she is making breakfast?
(a) Help him move the manure pile.
(b) Help him shoe a horse.
(c) Go into town for groceries.
(d) Bring him some water.
2. Who comes into the store while everyone is away?
(a) Tea Cake.
3. After they've been married for about a year, what does Logan tell Janie she can now do for herself?
(a) Fix the wagon.
(b) Move out of the house.
(c) Clean the house.
(d) Bring the chopped wood inside.
4. What does Tea Cake help Janie with at the end of the night?
(a) He helps her onto the train.
(b) He helps her clean the floors.
(c) He helps her close up the store.
(d) He helps her tie up her hair.
5. Who does Janie compare Jody to in her speech?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) King Solomon.
(d) Logan Killicks.
6. Why is Tea Cake in Eatonville?
(a) He thought the ball game was there.
(b) He has come to court Janie.
(c) He is looking for a job.
(d) He wants to buy Janie's store.
7. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
(a) His gold spittoon.
(b) His feathered hat.
(c) His wife.
(d) His silk suit.
8. Why does Joe get mad at Janie in Chapter 6?
(a) He cannot find a bill of lading in the store.
(b) She has an affair with another man.
(c) She wears lipstick to church.
(d) She yells at him on the porch.
9. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
(b) The horizon.
10. What is Janie's maiden name?
11. Why doesn't Janie leave Jody?
(a) She has nowhere to go.
(b) She truly loves him.
(c) She is afraid he will find her.
(d) She is pregnant.
12. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
13. What does Hurston compare Janie to in Chapter 7?
(a) A rut in the road.
(b) A rainbow.
(c) A child.
(d) A mule.
14. What does Janie do that upsets Joe in the store in Chapter 7?
(a) She sits around and will not work.
(b) She cuts a plug of tobacco incorrectly.
(c) She drops a crate of produce.
(d) She flirts with a customer.
15. What does Jody do when Janie burns his breakfast.
(a) He slaps her face.
(b) He kicks her out of the house.
(c) He throws the food out the window.
(d) He tells her it's okay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
2. What does Janie do instead of finishing breakfast?
3. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
4. What is Pheoby's husband's name?
5. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)