|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janie use as a weapon in Chapter 7?
(b) Her hair.
(d) Her fists.
2. What do the townspeople do when the mule dies?
(a) They bury it in Joe's back yard.
(b) They drag it out to the swamp for a ceremony.
(c) They leave the carcass on Bonner's front porch.
(d) They cook it and eat it.
3. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
(a) Janie graduating from high school.
(b) Nanny telling her it's time to get married.
(c) Janie leaving home.
(d) Johnny Taylor kissing her.
4. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
(a) She thinks Janie's husband has been beating her.
(b) She thinks Janie is sick.
(c) She thinks Janie is pregnant.
(d) She thinks Janie will leave Logan.
5. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
(a) Kicking a mule.
(b) Beating a dog.
(c) Hugging a child.
(d) Stripping a woman on a crowded street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe make Janie do (out of jealousy)?
2. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
3. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
4. Where does Janie get married?
5. Jody says all women need telling, just like ____________. (Fill in the blank)
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)