|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
(b) Lunch time.
2. What is the first thing Nanny thinks Janie is upset about when Janie comes to visit her in Chapter 3?
(a) She thinks Janie is pregnant.
(b) She thinks Janie will leave Logan.
(c) She thinks Janie is sick.
(d) She thinks Janie's husband has been beating her.
3. Besides Janie's wedding, what other major event occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Janie divorces Logan.
(b) Nanny dies.
(c) Logan dies.
(d) Janie has a baby.
4. How did Janie's mother become pregnant with Janie?
(a) She spent the night with a white man.
(b) She married a soldier.
(c) She was raped by the school teacher.
(d) Nanny sells her to a white man.
5. Who does Janie marry in Chapter 3?
(a) Logan Killicks.
(b) Tea Cake.
(c) Joe Brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
2. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
3. Who is Janie's best friend?
4. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
5. What object in nature is symbolic of Janie's sexual awakening?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)