|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
2. What are Janie's neighbors doing when she arrives home?
(a) The neighbors are all asleep.
(b) The neighbors are gathered on Pheoby's front porch to gossip.
(c) The neighbors are building a barn.
(d) The neighbors are hiding inside Janie's house to throw her a surprise party.
3. What does everyone call the "boy" Janie left with?
(a) Baby Boy.
(b) Big Mouth.
(c) Rum Pan.
(d) Tea Cake.
4. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
(a) The rose bush.
(b) The school yard.
(c) The pear tree.
(d) The front gate.
5. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Janie have as a child?
2. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
3. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
4. What makes the Mistress suspect that Nanny's newborn baby is part white?
5. What does Nanny do to avoid being whipped by the plantation Mistress?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)