|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
(a) "All by Myself."
(b) "Safe in the Arms of Jesus."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "When the Saints Go Marching In."
2. Nanny tells Janie not to worry about love when she has _______. (Fill in the blank)
(b) A husband.
(d) A new house.
3. What does Joe build in Chapter 5?
(a) A barn.
(b) A store.
(c) A saw mill.
(d) A house.
4. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
(a) Janie's love.
(d) Physical force.
5. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
(a) Once she has a baby.
(b) As soon as she can sell the store.
(c) As soon as Tea Cake gets a job.
(d) At dawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
2. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
3. What action does Hurston compare Jody's harsh words to Janie in the store to?
4. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
5. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)