|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe think the town must do to be successful?
(a) Start a city council.
(c) Pay him for his advice.
(d) Build a bridge.
2. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
(a) The end of slavery.
(b) The first street lamp in town.
(c) Joe and Janie's wedding.
(d) The first paved road in town.
3. How do the men in town feel about Jody toward the end of Chapter 5?
(a) They are resentful of the way he exercises his power like a white man.
(b) They are grateful for his generousity.
(c) They look up to him like a god.
(d) They are mad at him for building the store.
4. How old is Janie in Chapter 7?
5. Who is Eatonville named after?
(a) Janie's grandmother.
(b) Lady Eaton of Georgia.
(c) Joe Starks' first wife.
(d) Mr. Eaton, who donated the land to the blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolic object does Janie keep returning to in the days before her wedding?
2. What does Janie realize she feels for her grandmother?
3. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
4. What does Janie's husband do for Janie that Nanny says won't last for long?
5. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)