|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the townspeople take notice of Janie's spending so much time with Tea Cake?
(a) After the picnic.
(b) After he starts working at the store.
(c) After he is seen leaving her house one morning.
(d) After she is late opening the store every day.
2. What do the residents of Eatonville hold a barbecue in celebration of?
(a) The first paved road in town.
(b) The end of slavery.
(c) Joe and Janie's wedding.
(d) The first street lamp in town.
3. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
(a) A burial shroud.
(b) A party mask.
(c) A wall of stone and steel.
(d) A bridal veil.
4. How do the townspeople react to the scene between Jody and Janie in the store?
(a) They lose respect for Joe.
(b) They all leave the store.
(c) They encourage Joe to beat Janie.
(d) They are embarrassed.
5. What does Janie's husband do for Janie that Nanny says won't last for long?
(a) Chops the wood and carries it inside.
(b) Brushes her hair at night.
(c) Sleeps on the couch.
(d) Cooks dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
2. What emotion is personified in Chapter 9 as something that Janie asks questions of at night?
3. What does Janie do in Eatonville?
4. What does Joe buy from Mr. Eaton?
5. What does Janie tell Pheoby she wants to get married again for?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)