1. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
(d) Lunch time.
2. What are Janie's neighbors doing when she arrives home?
(a) The neighbors are all asleep.
(b) The neighbors are hiding inside Janie's house to throw her a surprise party.
(c) The neighbors are building a barn.
(d) The neighbors are gathered on Pheoby's front porch to gossip.
3. Who is wearing a pair of overalls in Chapter 1?
(d) Tea Cake.
4. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
5. Who is Janie's best friend?
6. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) Vegetable stew.
(b) Mulatto rice.
(c) A ham sandwich.
(d) Turkey and dressing.
7. What is Janie's maiden name?
8. What is Janie doing when Pheoby comes to see her?
(a) Soaking and washing her feet.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Making dinner.
(d) Washing her dress.
This section contains 4,550 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)