|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Outsider perceives itself to be ______?
2. What mainly was the color of the dress he bought for her?
3. Who gets a visit in part three from the NSA?
4. What is the Outsider designed to do?
5. Who or what was awaiting Travis, Nora and Einstein when they returned home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Travis carry with him on his walks and what did he intend to say about it?
2. Why did Garrison Dilworth help Travis and Nora?
3. Why would the government want a dog with human intelligence?
4. What did Vince do that he didn't think would have been acceptable by Don Tetragna, and what did he do to prepare himself for this outcome?
5. How does Einstein's communication via the tiles convince Dr. Keene to keep him free?
6. How did King save Dr. Keene's life and how did this persuade him to let Travis and Nora stay with Einstein?
7. Why did Travis buy a Scrabble board?
8. How was teaching Einstein having a beneficial effect on Nora?
9. What are the effects of second stage distemper and why does Travis fear it so?
10. Why was it that Lem couldn't tolerate failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Koontz let the reader know what Einstein wants of Travis before Travis? In what ways does this convince the reader of the intelligence of the dog? How does this affect the progression of the readers opinion of Einstein?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Lem finally tell Walt what was going on at the NSA? What had prevented him from telling Walt before? Why did the incidents at Bordeaux Ridge break him of his oath of silence?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how beauty, intelligence, and disfigurement are compared and contrasted against each other in this story. Does this aptly portray societal values? How so or why not?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)