|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Nora's doctor?
2. What was the signal from Einstein for No?
3. Who gets a visit in part three from the NSA?
4. How many years in prison did Art Streck get, as a mandatory sentence?
5. Why does the Outsider smash mirrors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nora's position on Einstein leaving?
2. Why would the government want a dog with human intelligence?
3. What does Vince want with Don Tetragna?
4. Why can't Walt go public with the information Lem is giving him?
5. Why did Travis buy a Scrabble board?
6. How does Einstein's communication via the tiles convince Dr. Keene to keep him free?
7. Why was it that Lem couldn't tolerate failure?
8. What was the purpose(s) of helping Dr. Keene with his practice?
9. Why did Garrison Dilworth help Travis and Nora?
10. What is significant about Nora and how does Travis feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how having a mental illness is more of a way of life than it was in earlier centuries. What do you think is responsible for this global shift in perspective? How has it become chic to have some sort of mild mental disorder? How are mental illnesses glamorized in the media? Who profits from mental illness?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lem and Nora. In what ways are they both victims? In what ways are they strong? How do both character's progress throughout the novel? How is their progression healthier for them in the long run?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did teaching Einstein have an effect on Nora's redevelopment? What are some theories on how this helped her to blossom as a fully functional woman? What do you think would have happened to Nora otherwise? How do you think her progression in life would have been had it not been for Einstein and Travis?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)