|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Americans intend to use their artillery pieces as shock weapons against the enemy and as what else?
2. What is George Washington's only order to his men throughout their march?
3. In addition to tired troops and inclement weather, the author notes in "Hard Choices" that George Washington also has to face what problem?
4. The rebels return over the river in pursuit of the Hessians, but how large is this campaign?
5. When George Washington decides to march on Princeton, he orders his army to seize control of the highway where it crosses a bridge over what waterway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
2. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
3. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
4. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
5. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
6. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
7. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
8. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
9. How does Charles Cornwallis conduct his decision making?
10. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the Americans' victory at Trenton, what concerns George Washington? What type of an enemy has the American force awoken? Why does Washington view himself as being in a delicate spot? What are the chances of his ruining the American cause? What are Washington's concerns regarding the weather and state of his forces? What is Washington's view of his troops having to fight again on a frozen battlefield?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
Essay Topic 3
What elements comprise the Hessian army? How many Hessian troops are there? From what sources does Friedrich Wilhelm II draw his recruits and expand his army? What are considered "expendable" elements? Where do high-ranking officers within the Hessian army originate?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)