|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the American troops prepare to cross the Delaware River and invade Trenton?
2. Whatever happens, George Washington is adamant that he will strike against the enemy when?
3. The American objective following their victory over the Hessians at Trenton, regardless of ease of defense, is to entice the enemy into an assault where?
4. In "Hard Choices," the enemy is moving to the east side of what state?
5. As the Americans assemble and pursue their march toward Trenton, what course does the stormy weather take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
2. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
3. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
4. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
5. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
6. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
7. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
8. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
9. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
10. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 2
How does the British pacification policy fare in the Colonies? What types of problems are encountered? From where do these problems originate? How do the British troops remedy these problems? How common is it for the British troops to forage for supplies? How big does the problem become? How successful are the Howe brothers in deterring their troops and gaining compliance with the rules?
Essay Topic 3
How do the Americans prevail at Princeton? Of what do they maintain control that keeps the British from fleeing and reinforcements from arriving? How difficult is the battle? Where do the Americans stand following the battles at Trenton and Princeton?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)