|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although the Hessians prepare in every other way possible against an attack, what factor plays a crucial role in the events the author details in the chapter he calls "The Surprise?"
2. As the Americans march toward Princeton, the odds have changed and they now outnumber the British by what ratio?
3. Between the troops, weapons, and supplies they need to get across the Delaware River prior to the attack, how far behind does traveling in the storm put the Americans?
4. How many of George Washington's troops are lost to the Delaware River during the Americans' crossing?
5. The victory of the Americans in their surprise attack on the Hessians that Mr. Fischer relates in "The Surprise" does what to the British view?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
2. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
3. Although the British catch sight of the American army approaching, what do the rebels retain?
4. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
5. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
6. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
7. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
8. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
9. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
10. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 2
What delays the Americans from crossing the Delaware River and making a surprise attack at Trenton on Christmas Day of 1776? What is a nor'easter? What specific effects does it have on the Americans' advance toward Trenton? How does it affect their crossing the Delaware River? How does George Washington continue? How late are the Americans from their intended arrival? How does it affect their surprise attack?
Essay Topic 3
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)