|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The victory of the Americans in their surprise attack on the Hessians that Mr. Fischer relates in "The Surprise" does what to the British view?
2. The rebels return over the river in pursuit of the Hessians, but how large is this campaign?
3. Charles Cornwallis is in denial over the growing rebel troop strength, and, acting on his experience, what does he feel is the best course to take?
4. As the Americans march toward Princeton, the odds have changed and they now outnumber the British by what ratio?
5. How do the Americans rate the effectiveness of their artillery in combat with the British?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
2. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
3. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
4. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
5. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
6. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
7. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
8. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
9. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
10. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What delays the Americans from crossing the Delaware River and making a surprise attack at Trenton on Christmas Day of 1776? What is a nor'easter? What specific effects does it have on the Americans' advance toward Trenton? How does it affect their crossing the Delaware River? How does George Washington continue? How late are the Americans from their intended arrival? How does it affect their surprise attack?
Essay Topic 2
How do American rebel forces behave as they retreat across New Jersey? In what type of confrontations do they engage their enemy? Against what odds are the Americans fighting? What is the British impression of this?
Essay Topic 3
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)