|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Americans rate the effectiveness of their artillery in combat with the British?
2. What do the Hessians do prior to the attack in "The Surprise?"
3. The American soldiers' determination truly shines through during this whole campaign, and as the author mentions, George Washington's own determination plays what role in their success?
4. Following their victory in the surprise attack against the Hessians, the Americans share a spirit that the author describes as what?
5. The American destination in reference to the title of the book is originally what?
Essay Topic 1
After the Americans' victory at Trenton, what concerns George Washington? What type of an enemy has the American force awoken? Why does Washington view himself as being in a delicate spot? What are the chances of his ruining the American cause? What are Washington's concerns regarding the weather and state of his forces? What is Washington's view of his troops having to fight again on a frozen battlefield?
Essay Topic 2
What delays the Americans from crossing the Delaware River and making a surprise attack at Trenton on Christmas Day of 1776? What is a nor'easter? What specific effects does it have on the Americans' advance toward Trenton? How does it affect their crossing the Delaware River? How does George Washington continue? How late are the Americans from their intended arrival? How does it affect their surprise attack?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)