|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Hard Choices," who urges George Washington to push the enemy from the state?
2. Charles Cornwallis' soldiers outnumber George Washington's rebels by what ratio?
3. The battle at "The Bridge," about which this chapter is entitled, proves a victory for whom?
4. Intelligence has what to do with the Americans' success in "The Surprise" battle and the Hessian's failure?
5. Between the troops, weapons, and supplies they need to get across the Delaware River prior to the attack, how far behind does traveling in the storm put the Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
2. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
3. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
4. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
5. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
6. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
7. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
8. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
9. To what is the title of the chapter called "Good Ground" a reference?
10. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
Essay Topic 2
In November, 1776, Thomas Paine publishes another pamphlet, "The American Crisis," which is similar to what other pamphlet also written by Paine? What is Paine's intention with this second pamphlet? Why does Paine feel his second pamphlet is necessary? What is Paine's view of war? How does he view British tyranny? How successful is "The American Crisis" in awakening the people within the United States? What is the single most urgent task upon which Paine focuses the minds of the nation?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the battle at the bridge at Assunpink Creek significant? Where is it situated? What is it the Americans' hope to accomplish there? What is it their opponents seek to do there? What do the Americans do to achieve success? How costly is this battle?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)