|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although George Washington has gained the victory the Americans desperately need in "The Surprise" battle, he also recognizes what?
2. How many of George Washington's troops are lost to the Delaware River during the Americans' crossing?
3. George Washington's surprise victory over the Hessians causes British commanders to lose their initiative over the course of how long?
4. The title of this chapter, "The Bridge," refers to one crossing over which waterway?
5. What was George Washington's objective in seizing control of the bridge at Princeton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
2. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
3. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
4. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
5. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
6. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
7. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
8. Although the British catch sight of the American army approaching, what do the rebels retain?
9. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
10. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
Essay Topic 2
How does New York come to fall to the British? What impact does poor military intelligence play in the Americans' loss of Long Island? What effect does weather play on the Americans' retreat to Manhattan? Where is the final battle that seals the fall of New York? What contributes to the Americans' loss of New York?
Essay Topic 3
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)