|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers of George Washington's army feel he stands in battle against their opponents?
2. The author stipulates which two battles as having a profound effect on the British conduct of the war?
3. The Americans intend to use their artillery pieces as shock weapons against the enemy and as what else?
4. Charles Cornwallis' soldiers outnumber George Washington's rebels by what ratio?
5. As the news of "The Surprise" victory over the Hessians spreads through America, many people receive it how?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the largest problems George Washington is facing during the winter of 1776-1777?
2. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
3. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
4. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
5. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
6. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
7. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
8. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
9. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
10. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does New York come to fall to the British? What impact does poor military intelligence play in the Americans' loss of Long Island? What effect does weather play on the Americans' retreat to Manhattan? Where is the final battle that seals the fall of New York? What contributes to the Americans' loss of New York?
Essay Topic 2
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 3
In November, 1776, Thomas Paine publishes another pamphlet, "The American Crisis," which is similar to what other pamphlet also written by Paine? What is Paine's intention with this second pamphlet? Why does Paine feel his second pamphlet is necessary? What is Paine's view of war? How does he view British tyranny? How successful is "The American Crisis" in awakening the people within the United States? What is the single most urgent task upon which Paine focuses the minds of the nation?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)