|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The battle at "The Bridge," about which this chapter is entitled, proves a victory for whom?
2. The American destination in reference to the title of the book is originally what?
3. In "The Surprise," time is still of the essence for the Americans in this historical battle for what reason?
4. As the Americans march toward Princeton, the odds have changed and they now outnumber the British by what ratio?
5. Ultimately, the American artillery overpowers the Hessian guns, and the enemy does what when this happens in "The Surprise" battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
2. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
3. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
4. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
5. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
6. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
7. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
8. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
9. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
10. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the recruitment of new troops become of great concern to George Washington? How significant is the number of troops reaching their term? What are these men planning to do? What does the army offer those willing to reenlist? In addition to money, what do these men recognize about their remaining in the army?
Essay Topic 3
Elaborate on how the British military approaches training of their elements. Why does the British military place so much emphasis on training? What two critical elements do they feel it reinforces? What emphasis does the British army place on organization? How do organization and discipline come into play as part of their training?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)