|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of George Washington's troops are lost to the Delaware River during the Americans' crossing?
2. In "Hard Choices," the author indicates that it is important to note George Washington's style of leadership when his war council convenes, that he presents a promising proposal as what?
3. What item of intelligence that the Hessians receive proves false in the battle Mr. Fischer details in "The Surprise?"
4. In the chapter entitled "The Surprise," the Hessians are caught completely off guard in what will prove to be a pivotal battle in the war when the Americans arrive on scene about what time?
5. Charles Cornwallis is in denial over the growing rebel troop strength, and, acting on his experience, what does he feel is the best course to take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
2. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
3. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
4. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
5. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
6. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
7. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
8. What is one of the largest problems George Washington is facing during the winter of 1776-1777?
9. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
10. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the Americans' victory at Trenton, what concerns George Washington? What type of an enemy has the American force awoken? Why does Washington view himself as being in a delicate spot? What are the chances of his ruining the American cause? What are Washington's concerns regarding the weather and state of his forces? What is Washington's view of his troops having to fight again on a frozen battlefield?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
Essay Topic 3
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)