|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author stipulates which two battles as having a profound effect on the British conduct of the war?
2. Due to their delay from bad weather, George Washington puts their attack time at about what hour?
3. Following their victory in the surprise attack against the Hessians, the Americans share a spirit that the author describes as what?
4. After crossing the Delaware River and arriving late, George Washington is beside himself when he realizes his forces will have to attack Trenton under what condition?
5. However tough their situation, following their victory over the Hessians, the American troops are determined to have the enemy what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
2. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
3. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
4. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
5. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
6. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
7. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
8. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
9. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
10. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements comprise the Hessian army? How many Hessian troops are there? From what sources does Friedrich Wilhelm II draw his recruits and expand his army? What are considered "expendable" elements? Where do high-ranking officers within the Hessian army originate?
Essay Topic 2
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 3
The Hessians are legendary for their discipline as well as courage and obedience. How does discipline in the Hessian army differ from that in the British military? How much more or less strict is Hessian discipline? What use do they make of corporal punishment? How far does punishment for a soldier that misbehaves extend?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)