|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Hard Choices," how does the author describe the task of getting the rebel troops together for another battle following their surprise victory over the Hessians?
2. The Americans' surprise victory over the Hessians causes British commanders to also lose control of what?
3. What term does Benjamin Rush use to describe the mood of the American troops?
4. Charles Cornwallis is in denial over the growing rebel troop strength, and, acting on his experience, what does he feel is the best course to take?
5. What is the American rebels' attitude following their crossing the Delaware River and heading on toward Trenton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the largest problems George Washington is facing during the winter of 1776-1777?
2. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
3. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
4. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
5. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
6. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
7. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
8. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
9. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
10. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the British pacification policy fare in the Colonies? What types of problems are encountered? From where do these problems originate? How do the British troops remedy these problems? How common is it for the British troops to forage for supplies? How big does the problem become? How successful are the Howe brothers in deterring their troops and gaining compliance with the rules?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
Essay Topic 3
How do American rebel forces behave as they retreat across New Jersey? In what type of confrontations do they engage their enemy? Against what odds are the Americans fighting? What is the British impression of this?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)