|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The American destination in reference to the title of the book is originally what?
2. The Americans' surprise victory over the Hessians causes British commanders to also lose control of what?
3. What is George Washington's only order to his men throughout their march?
4. The Americans intend to use their artillery pieces as shock weapons against the enemy and as what else?
5. Although the Hessians prepare in every other way possible against an attack, what factor plays a crucial role in the events the author details in the chapter he calls "The Surprise?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
2. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
3. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
4. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
5. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
6. How does Charles Cornwallis conduct his decision making?
7. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
8. Although the British catch sight of the American army approaching, what do the rebels retain?
9. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
10. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do American rebel forces behave as they retreat across New Jersey? In what type of confrontations do they engage their enemy? Against what odds are the Americans fighting? What is the British impression of this?
Essay Topic 2
How does the British pacification policy fare in the Colonies? What types of problems are encountered? From where do these problems originate? How do the British troops remedy these problems? How common is it for the British troops to forage for supplies? How big does the problem become? How successful are the Howe brothers in deterring their troops and gaining compliance with the rules?
Essay Topic 3
How does New York come to fall to the British? What impact does poor military intelligence play in the Americans' loss of Long Island? What effect does weather play on the Americans' retreat to Manhattan? Where is the final battle that seals the fall of New York? What contributes to the Americans' loss of New York?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)