|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter entitled "Hard Choices," George Washington realizes he is in a delicate spot because if he makes any mistakes, or if fortune turns against him, he risks what?
2. In the chapter entitled "Good Ground," the author states Americans expect an attack in great strength by combined British and Hessian troops, so they decide it would be best to have it where?
3. As the Americans march toward Princeton, the odds have changed and they now outnumber the British by what ratio?
4. In "Hard Choices," the author reveals the consensus is to pursue the enemy for what reason?
5. In "Good Ground," the author notes the Americans learn the British leaders are planning to strike at either Trenton or what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
2. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
3. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
4. Although the British catch sight of the American army approaching, what do the rebels retain?
5. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
6. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
7. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
8. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
9. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
10. What is one of the largest problems George Washington is facing during the winter of 1776-1777?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hessians are legendary for their discipline as well as courage and obedience. How does discipline in the Hessian army differ from that in the British military? How much more or less strict is Hessian discipline? What use do they make of corporal punishment? How far does punishment for a soldier that misbehaves extend?
Essay Topic 2
Elaborate on how the British military approaches training of their elements. Why does the British military place so much emphasis on training? What two critical elements do they feel it reinforces? What emphasis does the British army place on organization? How do organization and discipline come into play as part of their training?
Essay Topic 3
How do the Americans prevail at Princeton? Of what do they maintain control that keeps the British from fleeing and reinforcements from arriving? How difficult is the battle? Where do the Americans stand following the battles at Trenton and Princeton?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)