|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just one week before the Hessian loss in George Washington's surprise attack, many British leaders believe what?
2. The night after the battle at the bridge where rebels win their second victory, Charles Cornwallis' men keep tabs on the Americans, the objective being to watch the enemy and do what?
3. As the weather worsens, the Americans do not make their return crossing over the river in pursuit of the Hessians until when?
4. The American destination in reference to the title of the book is originally what?
5. The American soldiers' determination truly shines through during this whole campaign, and as the author mentions, George Washington's own determination plays what role in their success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In November, 1776, Thomas Paine publishes another pamphlet, "The American Crisis," which is similar to what other pamphlet also written by Paine? What is Paine's intention with this second pamphlet? Why does Paine feel his second pamphlet is necessary? What is Paine's view of war? How does he view British tyranny? How successful is "The American Crisis" in awakening the people within the United States? What is the single most urgent task upon which Paine focuses the minds of the nation?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
Essay Topic 3
How does the British pacification policy fare in the Colonies? What types of problems are encountered? From where do these problems originate? How do the British troops remedy these problems? How common is it for the British troops to forage for supplies? How big does the problem become? How successful are the Howe brothers in deterring their troops and gaining compliance with the rules?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)