|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between the troops, weapons, and supplies they need to get across the Delaware River prior to the attack, how far behind does traveling in the storm put the Americans?
2. Charles Cornwallis' soldiers outnumber George Washington's rebels by what ratio?
3. Due to their delay from bad weather, George Washington puts their attack time at about what hour?
4. In "Hard Choices," the author indicates that it is important to note George Washington's style of leadership when his war council convenes, that he presents a promising proposal as what?
5. In "Good Ground," the author notes the Americans learn the British leaders are planning to strike at either Trenton or what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
2. Although the British catch sight of the American army approaching, what do the rebels retain?
3. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
4. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
5. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
6. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
7. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
8. How does Charles Cornwallis conduct his decision making?
9. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
10. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
Essay Topic 3
After the Americans' victory at Trenton, what concerns George Washington? What type of an enemy has the American force awoken? Why does Washington view himself as being in a delicate spot? What are the chances of his ruining the American cause? What are Washington's concerns regarding the weather and state of his forces? What is Washington's view of his troops having to fight again on a frozen battlefield?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)