|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whatever happens, George Washington is adamant that he will strike against the enemy when?
2. In addition to tired troops and inclement weather, the author notes in "Hard Choices" that George Washington also has to face what problem?
3. The American soldiers' determination truly shines through during this whole campaign, and as the author mentions, George Washington's own determination plays what role in their success?
4. When "The Surprise" battle is over, the Americans have won a decisive victory and the Hessians do what?
5. As the Americans assemble and pursue their march toward Trenton, what course does the stormy weather take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
2. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
3. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
4. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
5. Although the British catch sight of the American army approaching, what do the rebels retain?
6. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
7. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
8. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
9. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
10. To what is the title of the chapter called "Good Ground" a reference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 2
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)