|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hessian officers are angry about their defeat in the surprise victory by the rebels, and they want what?
2. Intelligence has what to do with the Americans' success in "The Surprise" battle and the Hessian's failure?
3. The American destination in reference to the title of the book is originally what?
4. The weather deteriorates as George Washington and his troops proceed, and what type of storm blows in?
5. The battle at "The Bridge," about which this chapter is entitled, proves a victory for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
2. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
3. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
4. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
5. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
6. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
7. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
8. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
9. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
10. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Americans prevail at Princeton? Of what do they maintain control that keeps the British from fleeing and reinforcements from arriving? How difficult is the battle? Where do the Americans stand following the battles at Trenton and Princeton?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)