|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Americans move to what state following their defeat in New York?
2. What does the British militia instruct beyond a general attitude?
3. In what battle do the Americans lose New York to their enemy?
4. At what location are the Americans just a few miles from where the British settle on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River?
5. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does misinformation cost George Washington the Battle of Long Island in August of 1776?
2. How does George Washington fare in Manhattan in 1776?
3. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
4. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
5. How does the British military approach training?
6. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
7. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
8. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
9. What causes the British to feel slightly vulnerable to attack?
10. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Americans prevail at Princeton? Of what do they maintain control that keeps the British from fleeing and reinforcements from arriving? How difficult is the battle? Where do the Americans stand following the battles at Trenton and Princeton?
Essay Topic 3
How do the War Councils of George Washington and Charles Cornwallis compare? How large are their respective councils? Who are the members? How do the respective commanders conduct their councils when making decisions? What is Cornwallis' approach to utilizing his council? How does Washington rely upon his council?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)