|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How frequently does the leader of the Hessian army conduct drills?
2. In the first chapter, "The Rebels," the author foreshadows upcoming events by initially using what term?
3. Believing the American rebellion is over, citizens of which city flee fearing the opposing forces are nearing?
4. When the Americans initially flee Long Island, what initially prevents their enemy from catching up?
5. The Americans move to what state following their defeat in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
2. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
3. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
4. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
5. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
6. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
7. How does George Washington fare in Manhattan in 1776?
8. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
9. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
10. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the battle at the bridge at Assunpink Creek significant? Where is it situated? What is it the Americans' hope to accomplish there? What is it their opponents seek to do there? What do the Americans do to achieve success? How costly is this battle?
Essay Topic 2
What delays the Americans from crossing the Delaware River and making a surprise attack at Trenton on Christmas Day of 1776? What is a nor'easter? What specific effects does it have on the Americans' advance toward Trenton? How does it affect their crossing the Delaware River? How does George Washington continue? How late are the Americans from their intended arrival? How does it affect their surprise attack?
Essay Topic 3
How does the British pacification policy fare in the Colonies? What types of problems are encountered? From where do these problems originate? How do the British troops remedy these problems? How common is it for the British troops to forage for supplies? How big does the problem become? How successful are the Howe brothers in deterring their troops and gaining compliance with the rules?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)