|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the British intend to do following their confrontation with the Americans on the New Jersey shoreline of the Hudson River?
2. What does Congress grant George Washington in order to build his new army?
3. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
4. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
5. The Hessian system of discipline differs from that of the British in that the Hessians make greater use of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
2. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
3. What does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to do in New Jersey?
4. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
5. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
6. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
7. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
8. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
9. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
10. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the recruitment of new troops become of great concern to George Washington? How significant is the number of troops reaching their term? What are these men planning to do? What does the army offer those willing to reenlist? In addition to money, what do these men recognize about their remaining in the army?
Essay Topic 2
Elaborate on how the British military approaches training of their elements. Why does the British military place so much emphasis on training? What two critical elements do they feel it reinforces? What emphasis does the British army place on organization? How do organization and discipline come into play as part of their training?
Essay Topic 3
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)