|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hessian system of discipline differs from that of the British in that the Hessians make greater use of what?
2. After General Washington leaves New York, where do the British follow the Americans over the Hudson River ?
3. What happens in December, 1776, that changes the course of the war?
4. After their victory in New York, the British make plans to settle down for the winter. However, what distance factor works against them in a big way?
5. On what single most urgent task does Thoma Paine attempt to concentrate the mind of the nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
2. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
3. What causes the British to feel slightly vulnerable to attack?
4. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
5. How does misinformation cost George Washington the Battle of Long Island in August of 1776?
6. Why is it in this chapter, "The Crisis," that the author mentions that some people refer to George Washington as a dictator?
7. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
8. How does the British pacification policy run into problems arising from problems of supply?
9. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
10. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do American rebel forces behave as they retreat across New Jersey? In what type of confrontations do they engage their enemy? Against what odds are the Americans fighting? What is the British impression of this?
Essay Topic 2
What elements comprise the Hessian army? How many Hessian troops are there? From what sources does Friedrich Wilhelm II draw his recruits and expand his army? What are considered "expendable" elements? Where do high-ranking officers within the Hessian army originate?
Essay Topic 3
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)