|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
2. "Washington's Crossing" concerns what river?
3. What other group of individuals plays both sides well during the American Revolutionary War?
4. On what single most urgent task does Thoma Paine attempt to concentrate the mind of the nation?
5. What type of concept is the British light infantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
2. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
3. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
4. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
5. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
6. How does General William Howe act following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
7. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
8. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
9. Why is it in this chapter, "The Crisis," that the author mentions that some people refer to George Washington as a dictator?
10. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How crucial are discipline and order to the defeats and victories of each army? How do these issues come up throughout the duration of the conflict? How difficult are these lessons for the Americans to learn as they progress? How do the Americans eventually come to see the benefits?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Americans prevail at Princeton? Of what do they maintain control that keeps the British from fleeing and reinforcements from arriving? How difficult is the battle? Where do the Americans stand following the battles at Trenton and Princeton?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)