|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, General Washington and his remaining troops flee Long Island to what location?
2. At what rate does the Hessian army expand?
3. What is the result of the strong demonstration in which General William Howe participates that is intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
4. Until the point in "Washington's Crossing" where the Americans cross the river and make a surprise attack, they suffer what types of defeat?
5. In 1776, the British start to get cocky in their attitude toward the rebellion and do not think that it will survive beyond what point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
2. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
3. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
4. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
5. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
6. How does the British military approach training?
7. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
8. "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer is the story about what?
9. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
10. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What approach does the British military take in pursuing the American rebels across New Jersey? What effort do they make to engage the Americans?How long do the British Howe brothers believe the rebellion will last? As the winter of 1776 approaches, rather than engage in conflict, what do the British forces do?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
Essay Topic 3
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)