|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Admiral Lord Richard and General William Howe are stationed in the Colonies by whose orders?
2. The author believes that, as the Americans mature as a cohesive unit, they will eventually see the benefits of what?
3. Through where do the British and Hessian troops continue to chase the rebels in pursuit of their goal?
4. What do the people view Washington as being?
5. Until the point in "Washington's Crossing" where the Americans cross the river and make a surprise attack, they suffer what types of defeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
2. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
3. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
4. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
5. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
6. How does General William Howe act following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
7. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
8. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
9. How does the British military approach training?
10. How does the Hessian army become involved in the American Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the recruitment of new troops become of great concern to George Washington? How significant is the number of troops reaching their term? What are these men planning to do? What does the army offer those willing to reenlist? In addition to money, what do these men recognize about their remaining in the army?
Essay Topic 3
After the Americans' victory at Trenton, what concerns George Washington? What type of an enemy has the American force awoken? Why does Washington view himself as being in a delicate spot? What are the chances of his ruining the American cause? What are Washington's concerns regarding the weather and state of his forces? What is Washington's view of his troops having to fight again on a frozen battlefield?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)