|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through where do the British and Hessian troops continue to chase the rebels in pursuit of their goal?
2. Following their confrontation in November, 1776, near the New Jersey shoreline on the Hudson River, where does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to follow the Americans?
3. What are the first British battalions to land?
4. How extensively do the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
5. According to the author, during the American's retreat following their defeat in New York, how do the rebels behave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
2. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
3. How does General William Howe act following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
4. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
5. How does the Hessian army become involved in the American Revolution?
6. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
7. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
8. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
9. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
10. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the recruitment of new troops become of great concern to George Washington? How significant is the number of troops reaching their term? What are these men planning to do? What does the army offer those willing to reenlist? In addition to money, what do these men recognize about their remaining in the army?
Essay Topic 2
Elaborate on how the British military approaches training of their elements. Why does the British military place so much emphasis on training? What two critical elements do they feel it reinforces? What emphasis does the British army place on organization? How do organization and discipline come into play as part of their training?
Essay Topic 3
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)