|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where do most of the high-ranking Hessian officers come?
2. In the first chapter, "The Rebels," the author foreshadows upcoming events by initially using what term?
3. In the chapter entitled "The Crisis," the author notes people already use the title "his Excellency" when speaking to George Washington, but identifies what other term as having a very different tone to it?
4. After their victory in New York, the British make plans to settle down for the winter. However, what distance factor works against them in a big way?
5. The first chapter, "The Rebels," foreshadows what events?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
2. "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer is the story about what?
3. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
4. How does the British military approach training?
5. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
6. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
7. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
8. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
9. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
10. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
Essay Topic 2
How does New York come to fall to the British? What impact does poor military intelligence play in the Americans' loss of Long Island? What effect does weather play on the Americans' retreat to Manhattan? Where is the final battle that seals the fall of New York? What contributes to the Americans' loss of New York?
Essay Topic 3
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)