|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people view Washington as being?
2. How extensively do the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
3. The British military is very organized and feels training makes a significant contribution to what?
4. What is a big issue facing the American rebels?
5. Where in New York Harbor do the British and Hessian armies arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
2. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
3. How does the British pacification policy run into problems arising from problems of supply?
4. How does the British military approach training?
5. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
6. What do the Van Horne, Stockton, and other prominent New Jersey families, have in common during the Revolution?
7. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
8. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
9. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
10. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does New York come to fall to the British? What impact does poor military intelligence play in the Americans' loss of Long Island? What effect does weather play on the Americans' retreat to Manhattan? Where is the final battle that seals the fall of New York? What contributes to the Americans' loss of New York?
Essay Topic 2
How crucial are discipline and order to the defeats and victories of each army? How do these issues come up throughout the duration of the conflict? How difficult are these lessons for the Americans to learn as they progress? How do the Americans eventually come to see the benefits?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the battle at the bridge at Assunpink Creek significant? Where is it situated? What is it the Americans' hope to accomplish there? What is it their opponents seek to do there? What do the Americans do to achieve success? How costly is this battle?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)