|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Hessian soldiers do the British hire?
2. After what battle has General William Howe essentially given up?
3. The officers of the Hessian army all believe in hierarchy, order, and what else?
4. Where in New York Harbor do the British and Hessian armies arrive?
5. How successful is Thomas Paine in achieving his goal with his second pamphlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the British to feel slightly vulnerable to attack?
2. What critical element does the British army lack, without which it cannot fight?
3. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
4. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
5. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
6. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
7. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
8. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
9. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
10. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
Essay Topic 2
How crucial are discipline and order to the defeats and victories of each army? How do these issues come up throughout the duration of the conflict? How difficult are these lessons for the Americans to learn as they progress? How do the Americans eventually come to see the benefits?
Essay Topic 3
How do American rebel forces behave as they retreat across New Jersey? In what type of confrontations do they engage their enemy? Against what odds are the Americans fighting? What is the British impression of this?
This section contains 2,067 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)