|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
2. What happens in December, 1776, that changes the course of the war?
3. At what rate does the Hessian army expand?
4. The British peg Richard Stockton as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, capture him, and then compel him to do what?
5. What other group of individuals plays both sides well during the American Revolutionary War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Van Horne, Stockton, and other prominent New Jersey families, have in common during the Revolution?
2. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
3. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
4. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
5. Why is it in this chapter, "The Crisis," that the author mentions that some people refer to George Washington as a dictator?
6. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
7. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
8. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
9. What does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to do in New Jersey?
10. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the recruitment of new troops become of great concern to George Washington? How significant is the number of troops reaching their term? What are these men planning to do? What does the army offer those willing to reenlist? In addition to money, what do these men recognize about their remaining in the army?
Essay Topic 3
What elements comprise the Hessian army? How many Hessian troops are there? From what sources does Friedrich Wilhelm II draw his recruits and expand his army? What are considered "expendable" elements? Where do high-ranking officers within the Hessian army originate?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)