|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Thomas Paine's second pamphlet?
2. What does the British militia instruct beyond a general attitude?
3. General Washington believes that only 20% of British forces are on Long Island and are ready for battle. In reality, what is this percentage?
4. After what battle has General William Howe essentially given up?
5. At what rate does the Hessian army expand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
2. "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer is the story about what?
3. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
4. What do the Van Horne, Stockton, and other prominent New Jersey families, have in common during the Revolution?
5. How does the British military approach training?
6. How does the author summarize George Washington's growth as a leader during the American Revolution?
7. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
8. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
9. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
10. How does the Hessian army become involved in the American Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does New York come to fall to the British? What impact does poor military intelligence play in the Americans' loss of Long Island? What effect does weather play on the Americans' retreat to Manhattan? Where is the final battle that seals the fall of New York? What contributes to the Americans' loss of New York?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the battle at the bridge at Assunpink Creek significant? Where is it situated? What is it the Americans' hope to accomplish there? What is it their opponents seek to do there? What do the Americans do to achieve success? How costly is this battle?
Essay Topic 3
In November, 1776, Thomas Paine publishes another pamphlet, "The American Crisis," which is similar to what other pamphlet also written by Paine? What is Paine's intention with this second pamphlet? Why does Paine feel his second pamphlet is necessary? What is Paine's view of war? How does he view British tyranny? How successful is "The American Crisis" in awakening the people within the United States? What is the single most urgent task upon which Paine focuses the minds of the nation?
This section contains 2,068 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)