|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While officers of the Hessian army all have specific beliefs, by what are these men defined?
2. The Americans move to what state following their defeat in New York?
3. What are the first British battalions to land?
4. How does the American military system prove its superiority?
5. The Hessian troops are exhausted and want to move where to fully rest themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
2. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
3. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
4. How does General William Howe act following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
5. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
6. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
7. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
8. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
9. How does the Hessian army become involved in the American Revolution?
10. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hessians are legendary for their discipline as well as courage and obedience. How does discipline in the Hessian army differ from that in the British military? How much more or less strict is Hessian discipline? What use do they make of corporal punishment? How far does punishment for a soldier that misbehaves extend?
Essay Topic 2
How do American rebel forces behave as they retreat across New Jersey? In what type of confrontations do they engage their enemy? Against what odds are the Americans fighting? What is the British impression of this?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the recruitment of new troops become of great concern to George Washington? How significant is the number of troops reaching their term? What are these men planning to do? What does the army offer those willing to reenlist? In addition to money, what do these men recognize about their remaining in the army?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)