|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to put the Americans down and keep them down, General William Howe feels the British will have to be what?
2. The British pacification policy runs into problems arising from a lack of supply, and troops commonly doing what?
3. Through where do the British and Hessian troops continue to chase the rebels in pursuit of their goal?
4. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
5. Military training is important to the British as they feel it enforces what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to do in New Jersey?
2. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
3. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
4. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
5. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
6. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
7. "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer is the story about what?
8. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
9. How does misinformation cost George Washington the Battle of Long Island in August of 1776?
10. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does New York come to fall to the British? What impact does poor military intelligence play in the Americans' loss of Long Island? What effect does weather play on the Americans' retreat to Manhattan? Where is the final battle that seals the fall of New York? What contributes to the Americans' loss of New York?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
Essay Topic 3
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)