|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
2. The British peg Richard Stockton as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, capture him, and then compel him to do what?
3. While he hates war passionately, Paine believes it is the lesser of two evils, the worse being what?
4. Following their confrontation in November, 1776, near the New Jersey shoreline on the Hudson River, where does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to follow the Americans?
5. Why do the British opt not to hire the Hessian army to serve in the Colonies long before the American Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
2. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
3. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
4. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
5. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
6. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
7. How does the British pacification policy run into problems arising from problems of supply?
8. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
9. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
10. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the American troops display their lack of discipline and training? How do they maintain their quarters? How organized are they? What is the initial level of American military intelligence? How do they demonstrate a lack of it? What costly mistakes do George Washington and his officers make?
Essay Topic 2
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
This section contains 2,103 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)