|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does British military training compare with that of the American Revolutionaries?
2. While officers of the Hessian army all have specific beliefs, by what are these men defined?
3. Who expands the Hessian army?
4. What is the overall goal of the British in America?
5. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
2. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
3. How does Charles Cornwallis conduct his decision making?
4. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
5. How does the author summarize George Washington's growth as a leader during the American Revolution?
6. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
7. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
8. What do the Van Horne, Stockton, and other prominent New Jersey families, have in common during the Revolution?
9. How does the British military approach training?
10. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
Essay Topic 1
The Hessians are legendary for their discipline as well as courage and obedience. How does discipline in the Hessian army differ from that in the British military? How much more or less strict is Hessian discipline? What use do they make of corporal punishment? How far does punishment for a soldier that misbehaves extend?
Essay Topic 2
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
Essay Topic 3
What approach does the British military take in pursuing the American rebels across New Jersey? What effort do they make to engage the Americans?How long do the British Howe brothers believe the rebellion will last? As the winter of 1776 approaches, rather than engage in conflict, what do the British forces do?
This section contains 1,961 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)