|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
2. What is a big issue facing the American rebels?
3. "Washington's Crossing" is a story about which war?
4. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
5. Believing the American rebellion is over, citizens of which city flee fearing the opposing forces are nearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to do in New Jersey?
2. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
3. How does the British pacification policy run into problems arising from problems of supply?
4. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
5. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
6. How does the British military approach training?
7. How does misinformation cost George Washington the Battle of Long Island in August of 1776?
8. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
9. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
10. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What approach does the British military take in pursuing the American rebels across New Jersey? What effort do they make to engage the Americans?How long do the British Howe brothers believe the rebellion will last? As the winter of 1776 approaches, rather than engage in conflict, what do the British forces do?
Essay Topic 2
What elements comprise the Hessian army? How many Hessian troops are there? From what sources does Friedrich Wilhelm II draw his recruits and expand his army? What are considered "expendable" elements? Where do high-ranking officers within the Hessian army originate?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the recruitment of new troops become of great concern to George Washington? How significant is the number of troops reaching their term? What are these men planning to do? What does the army offer those willing to reenlist? In addition to money, what do these men recognize about their remaining in the army?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)