|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1776, the British start to get cocky in their attitude toward the rebellion and do not think that it will survive beyond what point?
2. After the British depart, Washington marches through what town with his troops and is hailed as a hero?
3. How does General Washington respond to families, such as the Van Hornes, who pledge allegiance to the king?
4. Who expands the Hessian army?
5. The author's mentioning of Congress' taking steps toward a system of separate legislative and executive powers foreshadows what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
2. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
3. How does misinformation cost George Washington the Battle of Long Island in August of 1776?
4. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
5. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
6. What causes the British to feel slightly vulnerable to attack?
7. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
8. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
9. What do the Van Horne, Stockton, and other prominent New Jersey families, have in common during the Revolution?
10. How does the British military approach training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While not everyone's first choice as the commander-in-chief of the American army, why is Washington the best selection? What experience does Washington have as a commander? What is Washington's age and health at this time? What other factors come into play making Washington the optimum selection?
Essay Topic 2
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)