|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following their confrontation in November, 1776, near the New Jersey shoreline on the Hudson River, where does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to follow the Americans?
2. What is the title of Thomas Paine's second pamphlet?
3. In the first chapter, "The Rebels," the author foreshadows upcoming events by initially using what term?
4. What type of concept is the British light infantry?
5. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the British to feel slightly vulnerable to attack?
2. What do the Van Horne, Stockton, and other prominent New Jersey families, have in common during the Revolution?
3. How does the Hessian army become involved in the American Revolution?
4. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
5. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
6. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
7. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
8. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
9. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
10. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does the Battle of Bunker Hill have on British General William Howe? What haunts Howe? How does he come to view the British chances of winning the conflict? What does he view as necessary for the Americans to be defeated and kept down? What does Howe think the chances of the British achieving this are? What does he think the chances are for the Americans coming to see eye to eye with the British? What habits does Howe develop?
Essay Topic 2
Into what Forage War do the Americans force their enemy? What is the Americans' objective? How effective are the Americans in preventing the British and Hessians from foraging and maintaining their armies? How much damage are the Americans able to inflict on their enemies' efforts to continue the war in the Colonies?
Essay Topic 3
The Americans arrive in Trenton around 7:30 a.m. Why do they still have a surprise attack? The Hessians are diligent, so what have they done to make them prone to a surprise attack? What makes the American army of volunteers with less training and discipline successful against a professional military with more of these attributes? How successful are the Americans in the execution of their attack, and what do they achieve?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)