|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Cornwallis is in denial over the growing rebel troop strength, and, acting on his experience, what does he feel is the best course to take?
(a) A staggering approach is the best course against a weak opponent.
(b) A moderate stroke is the best course against a weak opponent.
(c) A strong stroke is the best course against a weak opponent.
(d) A strong defene is the best course against a weak opponent.
2. The battle at "The Bridge," about which this chapter is entitled, proves a victory for whom?
(a) The Hessians.
(b) The British.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The British and Hessians.
3. The original plans are to cross the Delaware River under what circumstances?
(a) Under cover of darkness and attack at dawn.
(b) At dawn and attack with adequate daylight.
(c) Under cover of darkness and attack a little after dawn.
(d) Under cover of darkness and attack a little before dawn.
4. As the Americans march toward Princeton, the odds have changed and they now outnumber the British by what ratio?
(a) Nearly 4:1.
(b) Nearly 2:1.
(c) Nearly 5:1.
(d) Nearly 3:1.
5. When do the American troops prepare to cross the Delaware River and invade Trenton?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) St. Nicholas Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. After George Washington's troops cross the Delaware River and head on to engage in a surprise attack on Trenton, the Americans continue in what status?
2. Whatever happens, George Washington is adamant that he will strike against the enemy when?
3. The American objective following their victory over the Hessians at Trenton, regardless of ease of defense, is to entice the enemy into an assault where?
4. In "Hard Choices," the author indicates that it is important to note George Washington's style of leadership when his war council convenes, that he presents a promising proposal as what?
5. However tough their situation, following their victory over the Hessians, the American troops are determined to have the enemy what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
2. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
3. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
4. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
5. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
6. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
7. How does Charles Cornwallis conduct his decision making?
8. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
9. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
10. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)