|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Washington holds firmly to his resolve, which the author points out is one of the reasons the general's men regard him how?
(a) Fear him.
(b) Follow him.
(c) Stand by him.
(d) Love him.
2. How do the Americans rate the effectiveness of their artillery in combat with the British?
(a) Moderately effective.
(b) Primarily used for loudness and smoke cover.
(c) Highly effective.
(d) Limited in effectiveness.
3. Although George Washington has gained the victory the Americans desperately need in "The Surprise" battle, he also recognizes what?
(a) He has awoken a formidable enemy.
(b) He has lost a considerable number of troops.
(c) Luck is the only reason he won.
(d) He has used a significant amount of munitions.
4. What do the Hessians do prior to the attack in "The Surprise?"
(a) Let their guard down.
(b) Cut off patrols completely after a week of false alarms.
(c) Maintain their vigilance despite alarms.
(d) Increase the number of security guards.
5. How does the artillery affect the mobility of the American army during their march toward Trenton?
(a) Imposes a major impediment.
(b) Provides relative maneuverability.
(c) Presents only a moderate hindrance.
(d) They maintain a rapid speed.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in the chapter entitled "The Surprise," if the Americans lose this historical battle, it will signal the end of George Washington's career, if not what?
2. In "Hard Choices," the enemy is moving to the east side of what state?
3. What was George Washington's objective in seizing control of the bridge at Princeton?
4. However tough their situation, following their victory over the Hessians, the American troops are determined to have the enemy what?
5. The American soldiers' determination truly shines through during this whole campaign, and as the author mentions, George Washington's own determination plays what role in their success?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
2. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
3. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
4. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
5. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
6. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
7. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
8. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
9. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
10. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)