|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. British commanders are highly skilled professionals who bond with one another as old boys, but are sensitive to what?
(a) Education and rank.
(b) Wealth and competence.
(c) Rank and privilege.
(d) Wealth and title.
2. George Washington's surprise victory over the Hessians causes British commanders to lose their initiative over the course of how long?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 1 day.
3. While the location the Americans select is their own ground, it is not what?
(a) Easily located.
(b) Easily defendable.
(c) Easily overrun.
(d) Easily assaulted.
4. According to the author in the chapter entitled "The Surprise," if the Americans lose this historical battle, it will signal the end of George Washington's career, if not what?
(a) The end of the rebel assault for months to come.
(b) The flight of the rebel army.
(c) The loss of significant amounts of American supplies.
(d) The end of the American cause altogether.
5. How do the soldiers of George Washington's army feel he stands in battle against their opponents?
(a) They have full confidence in his leadership, but are concerned over the enemy's strength.
(b) They trust him implicitly, but are unsure if they can hold up to the cold.
(c) They are unsure, but have full confidence in his leadership ability.
(d) They trust him implicitly, and have full confidence in his leadership ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter entitled "The Surprise," the Hessians are caught completely off guard in what will prove to be a pivotal battle in the war when the Americans arrive on scene about what time?
2. When George Washington decides to march on Princeton, he orders his army to seize control of the highway where it crosses a bridge over what waterway?
3. What are the British and Hessian troops noted for throughout the war in the Colonies?
4. How many of George Washington's troops are lost to the Delaware River during the Americans' crossing?
5. In "Hard Choices," what is one of Washington's concerns?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what is the title of the chapter called "Good Ground" a reference?
2. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
3. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
4. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
5. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
6. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
7. Although the British catch sight of the American army approaching, what do the rebels retain?
8. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
9. What is one of the largest problems George Washington is facing during the winter of 1776-1777?
10. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)