|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Washington has a smaller army but a larger War Council. Washinginton's War Council has more open meetings, proposes problems for advice about how to advance rather than having already made decisions, and includes what else?
(a) Any officer or non-commissioned officer is invited to speak openly.
(b) Any soldier, unlike Charles Cornwallis' small, aristocratic circle.
(c) Local citizens who are invited to attend and speak freely.
(d) Enlisted troops, but no civilians.
2. The confrontation the author describes in "Good Ground" between the Rebels and the combined British and Hessian troops is to be what?
(a) A partisan resistance battle.
(b) A guerrilla battle.
(c) An offensive battle.
(d) A defensive battle.
3. When George Washington decides to march on Princeton, he orders his army to seize control of the highway where it crosses a bridge over what waterway?
(a) Delaware Brook.
(b) Pebble Brook.
(c) Rocky Brook.
(d) Stony Brook.
4. In "Hard Choices," who urges George Washington to push the enemy from the state?
(a) General Nathanael Greene.
(b) John Cadwalader.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
5. How many of the Americans' artillery pieces are lost in George Washington's Delaware River crossing?
(b) Almost half.
(c) Nearly a third.
(d) Virtually all.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of George Washington's troops are lost to the Delaware River during the Americans' crossing?
2. How do the Americans rate the effectiveness of their artillery in combat with the British?
3. In "Good Ground," the author notes the Americans learn the British leaders are planning to strike at either Trenton or what location?
4. However tough their situation, following their victory over the Hessians, the American troops are determined to have the enemy what?
5. Intelligence has what to do with the Americans' success in "The Surprise" battle and the Hessian's failure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
2. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
3. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
4. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
5. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
6. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
7. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
8. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
9. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
10. To what is the title of the chapter called "Good Ground" a reference?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)