|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night after the battle at the bridge where rebels win their second victory, Charles Cornwallis' men keep tabs on the Americans, the objective being to watch the enemy and do what?
(a) Keep rebel patrols from finding the positions of British and Hessian units.
(b) Keep rebel patrols at bay.
(c) Keep rebel patrols from finding the positions of British units.
(d) Keep rebel patrols from finding the positions of Hessian units.
2. The confrontation the author describes in "Good Ground" between the Rebels and the combined British and Hessian troops is to be what?
(a) A defensive battle.
(b) A guerrilla battle.
(c) A partisan resistance battle.
(d) An offensive battle.
3. The Americans' surprise victory over the Hessians causes British commanders to also lose control of what?
(a) The Delaware countryside.
(b) The New Jersey countryside.
(c) The New York countryside.
(d) The Pennsylvania countryside.
4. In "Good Ground," the author notes the Americans learn the British leaders are planning to strike at either Trenton or what location?
5. The title of this chapter, "The Bridge," refers to one crossing over which waterway?
(a) Pebble Creek.
(b) Assunpink Creek.
(c) Delaware Creek.
(d) Matawan Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of intelligence that the Hessians receive proves false in the battle Mr. Fischer details in "The Surprise?"
2. After crossing the Delaware River and arriving late, George Washington is beside himself when he realizes his forces will have to attack Trenton under what condition?
3. In the chapter entitled "Good Ground," the author states Americans expect an attack in great strength by combined British and Hessian troops, so they decide it would be best to have it where?
4. British commanders are highly skilled professionals who bond with one another as old boys, but are sensitive to what?
5. The Americans intend to use their artillery pieces as shock weapons against the enemy and as what else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
2. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
3. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
4. To what is the title of the chapter called "Good Ground" a reference?
5. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
6. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
7. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
8. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
9. What is one of the largest problems George Washington is facing during the winter of 1776-1777?
10. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)