|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Washington's surprise victory over the Hessians causes British commanders to lose their initiative over the course of how long?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 2 weeks.
2. What is the American rebels' attitude following their crossing the Delaware River and heading on toward Trenton?
(a) They have pretty much given up.
(b) They are in understandably poor spirits.
(c) They are despondent.
(d) They are in remarkably good spirits.
3. However tough their situation, following their victory over the Hessians, the American troops are determined to have the enemy what?
(a) No longer dominating them.
(b) Admit defeat.
(c) Pushed to the coast.
(d) Gone from their country.
4. How do the soldiers of George Washington's army feel he stands in battle against their opponents?
(a) They are unsure, but have full confidence in his leadership ability.
(b) They trust him implicitly, and have full confidence in his leadership ability.
(c) They have full confidence in his leadership, but are concerned over the enemy's strength.
(d) They trust him implicitly, but are unsure if they can hold up to the cold.
5. How do Cornwallis' troops come to feel in comparison with their commanders?
(a) They view the American victory as a fluke, and are keeping faith in their own leaders.
(b) They have no new respect for rebels, but have diminishing faith in their own leaders.
(c) They have a new respect for Americans, and are losing faith in their own leaders.
(d) They have a new respect for rebels, but retain faith in their own leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. The American objective following their victory over the Hessians at Trenton, regardless of ease of defense, is to entice the enemy into an assault where?
2. What term does Benjamin Rush use to describe the mood of the American troops?
3. Due to their delay from bad weather, George Washington puts their attack time at about what hour?
4. When George Washington decides to march on Princeton, he orders his army to seize control of the highway where it crosses a bridge over what waterway?
5. As the news of "The Surprise" victory over the Hessians spreads through America, many people receive it how?
Short Essay Questions
1. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
2. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
3. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
4. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
5. To what is the title of the chapter called "Good Ground" a reference?
6. How hasd the British view of the military situation in America change since the Hessian defeat at Trenton on Christmas Eve day, 1776?
7. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
8. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
9. How does Charles Cornwallis conduct his decision making?
10. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)