|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The victory of the Americans in their surprise attack on the Hessians that Mr. Fischer relates in "The Surprise" does what to the British view?
(a) Completely alters it.
(b) Slightly alters it.
(c) Does not alter it,
(d) Confirms it.
2. The Americans' surprise victory over the Hessians causes British commanders to also lose control of what?
(a) The Delaware countryside.
(b) The Pennsylvania countryside.
(c) The New Jersey countryside.
(d) The New York countryside.
3. How does the artillery affect the mobility of the American army during their march toward Trenton?
(a) Imposes a major impediment.
(b) They maintain a rapid speed.
(c) Provides relative maneuverability.
(d) Presents only a moderate hindrance.
4. In "Hard Choices," who urges George Washington to push the enemy from the state?
(a) John Cadwalader.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) General Nathanael Greene.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
5. As the news of "The Surprise" victory over the Hessians spreads through America, many people receive it how?
(a) As a vindication of the American Cause.
(b) Uncertain of whether it is a turning point.
(c) As more hype than significance.
(d) Suspiciously, as more exageration than reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. The weather deteriorates as George Washington and his troops proceed, and what type of storm blows in?
2. How many of the Americans' artillery pieces are lost in George Washington's Delaware River crossing?
3. The night after the battle at the bridge where rebels win their second victory, Charles Cornwallis' men keep tabs on the Americans, the objective being to watch the enemy and do what?
4. What item of intelligence that the Hessians receive proves false in the battle Mr. Fischer details in "The Surprise?"
5. However tough their situation, following their victory over the Hessians, the American troops are determined to have the enemy what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
2. How does George Washington view his situation following his victory at Trenton?
3. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
4. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
5. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
6. What are some of the unexpected obstacles George Washington encounters en route to Trenton?
7. How successful are the rebels in crossing the Delaware River?
8. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
9. What approach does George Washington take to decision making?
10. What effect do the Battles at Trenton and Princeton have upon the British?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)