|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The battle at "The Bridge," about which this chapter is entitled, proves a victory for whom?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Hessians.
(c) The British.
(d) The British and Hessians.
2. The American soldiers' determination truly shines through during this whole campaign, and as the author mentions, George Washington's own determination plays what role in their success?
(a) A minimal role.
(b) An unnecessary role.
(c) A moderate role.
(d) A big role.
3. In "Hard Choices," the author indicates that it is important to note George Washington's style of leadership when his war council convenes, that he presents a promising proposal as what?
(a) His own idea in case it goes wrong.
(b) Someone else's idea because he always ensures credit is given where it is rightfully due.
(c) Someone else's idea rather than his own.
(d) His own idea, regardless of its origination, for his own advancement.
4. Although George Washington has gained the victory the Americans desperately need in "The Surprise" battle, he also recognizes what?
(a) He has awoken a formidable enemy.
(b) Luck is the only reason he won.
(c) He has lost a considerable number of troops.
(d) He has used a significant amount of munitions.
5. As the weather worsens, the Americans do not make their return crossing over the river in pursuit of the Hessians until when?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) The second week of January, 1777.
(d) The first week of January, 1777.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Benjamin Rush use to describe the mood of the American troops?
2. George Washington has a smaller army but a larger War Council. Washinginton's War Council has more open meetings, proposes problems for advice about how to advance rather than having already made decisions, and includes what else?
3. The confrontation the author describes in "Good Ground" between the Rebels and the combined British and Hessian troops is to be what?
4. The weather deteriorates as George Washington and his troops proceed, and what type of storm blows in?
5. In "Hard Choices," who urges George Washington to push the enemy from the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Benjamin Rush's term "composure" indicate when describing the mood of the American rebels?
2. How does George Washington plan to use his artillery in his attack on Trenton?
3. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
4. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
5. Why is the bridge at Assunpink Creek crucial for the Americans to protect?
6. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
7. What role does the nor'easter play in the Hessian's lack of preparedness for an attack?
8. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
9. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
10. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)