|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The American destination in reference to the title of the book is originally what?
(b) Known only to the officers.
(d) Kept secret.
2. The author stipulates which two battles as having a profound effect on the British conduct of the war?
(a) Princeton, Brunswick.
(b) Princeton, Trenton.
(c) Newark, Princeton.
(d) Trenton, Brunswick.
3. What do the Hessians do prior to the attack in "The Surprise?"
(a) Let their guard down.
(b) Cut off patrols completely after a week of false alarms.
(c) Maintain their vigilance despite alarms.
(d) Increase the number of security guards.
4. What are the British and Hessian troops noted for throughout the war in the Colonies?
(a) Getting a late start to their day.
(b) Getting a start before dawn every day.
(c) Getting to sleep after midnight every day.
(d) Getting an early start to their day.
5. What view proves to be a mistake of historical consequence on the part of the Hessians in the pivotal battle at Trenton?
(a) They are severely outnumbered.
(b) They can not gather the defense needed to fight off the rebels.
(c) They can not gather the offense needed to fight off the rebels.
(d) The rebel units are more extensively trained than the Hessians.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers of George Washington's army feel he stands in battle against their opponents?
2. The night after the battle at the bridge where rebels win their second victory, Charles Cornwallis' men keep tabs on the Americans, the objective being to watch the enemy and do what?
3. At the conclusion of the chapter entitled "The Surprise," the author notes the Hessians are simply tired by the end of the day, and the Americans are far too driven to accept another defeat for what reason?
4. Charles Cornwallis is in denial over the growing rebel troop strength, and, acting on his experience, what does he feel is the best course to take?
5. How do the Americans rate the effectiveness of their artillery in combat with the British?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)