|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When "The Surprise" battle is over, the Americans have won a decisive victory and the Hessians do what?
(a) Join with the Americans.
(b) Die to the last soldier.
(c) Flee the country.
2. The battle at "The Bridge," about which this chapter is entitled, proves a victory for whom?
(a) The British and Hessians.
(b) The Hessians.
(c) The British.
(d) The Americans.
3. Following their victory in the surprise attack against the Hessians, the Americans share a spirit that the author describes as what?
(a) Identical to the last fight.
(b) Demonstrating uncertainty as to whether they can survive against the British.
(c) Different from the last fight.
(d) Reflecting concern as to how they will continue.
4. Between the troops, weapons, and supplies they need to get across the Delaware River prior to the attack, how far behind does traveling in the storm put the Americans?
(a) 4 hours.
(b) 8 hours.
(c) 12 hours.
(d) 6 hours.
5. The rebels return over the river in pursuit of the Hessians, but how large is this campaign?
(a) Equal in size to the first.
(b) 1/3 smaller than the first.
(c) 2/3 smaller than the first as the Hessians are widely dispersed.
(d) Bigger than the first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although the Hessians prepare in every other way possible against an attack, what factor plays a crucial role in the events the author details in the chapter he calls "The Surprise?"
2. In the chapter entitled "The Surprise," the Hessians are caught completely off guard in what will prove to be a pivotal battle in the war when the Americans arrive on scene about what time?
3. Whatever happens, George Washington is adamant that he will strike against the enemy when?
4. British commanders are highly skilled professionals who bond with one another as old boys, but are sensitive to what?
5. According to the author, of what are the Americans in awe regarding their opponents in combat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does military intelligence play in the Battle at Trenton?
2. What is George Washington's fear as his troops march toward Trenton?
3. What style of leadership is beginning to emerge on George Washington's part?
4. What deters George Washington from attacking Trenton when he originally plans?
5. What are some of the problems the Americans face as they pursue the enemy eastward across New Jersey?
6. What role does the determination of the Americans play in their success?
7. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
8. Why is the nor'easter seen as a blessing in disguise?
9. How does Charles Cornwallis view the American forces following their second victory at Trenton?
10. What does George Washington view as critical to the success of his attack on Trenton?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)