|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of concept is the British light infantry?
(a) Practiced only by British marines.
(c) Since early 1500s.
2. The Hessian troops are exhausted and want to move where to fully rest themselves?
(a) Better quarters.
(b) New York.
3. In the first chapter, "The Rebels," the author foreshadows upcoming events by initially using what term?
(a) The Boss.
(b) The Admiral.
(c) His Highness.
(d) His Excellency.
4. The author believes that, as the Americans mature as a cohesive unit, they will eventually see the benefits of what?
(a) Spiritual faith and discipline.
(b) Order and religiou faith.
(c) Intelligence and marching skills.
(d) Order and discipline.
5. The British peg Richard Stockton as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, capture him, and then compel him to do what?
(a) Move with his family to South Carolina.
(b) Serve nearly a year in British confinement.
(c) Pledge allegiance to the king and abandon the American cause.
(d) Sail to Britain for the duration of the conflict.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does General Washington respond to families, such as the Van Hornes, who pledge allegiance to the king?
2. How frequently does the leader of the Hessian army conduct drills?
3. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
4. How are Admiral Lord Richard and General William Howe related?
5. How successful is Thomas Paine in achieving his goal with his second pamphlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the British pacification policy run into problems arising from problems of supply?
2. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
3. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
4. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
5. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
6. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
7. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
8. How does George Washington fare in Manhattan in 1776?
9. Why is it in this chapter, "The Crisis," that the author mentions that some people refer to George Washington as a dictator?
10. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)