|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the American military system prove its superiority?
(a) It uses superior equipment.
(b) It displays better order and discipline.
(c) It has more extensive training.
(d) It is simple and flexible.
2. In addition to a tendency to lose officers after long engagements in America, the British and Hessians suffer troop losses due to what?
(a) Lack of food, comfort, and no contact with home.
(b) Massive desertion, illness, and lack of food.
(c) Exhaustion, frequently getting lost, and inferior equipment.
(d) Illness, exhaustion, and lack of replacements.
3. After General Washington leaves New York, where do the British follow the Americans over the Hudson River ?
(c) Plymouth Rock.
4. Who expands the Hessian army?
(a) Friedrich Wilhelm II.
(b) Johann Gottlieb II.
(c) Andreas von Wiederholdt II.
(d) Wilhelm Karl Friedrich II.
5. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. The summer illness that plagues those fighting the Americans in the latter half of the 1770s strikes which troops?
2. In the chapter entitled "The Crisis," the author notes people already use the title "his Excellency" when speaking to George Washington, but identifies what other term as having a very different tone to it?
3. According to the author, during the American's retreat following their defeat in New York, how do the rebels behave?
4. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
5. Where in New York Harbor do the British and Hessian armies arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
2. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
3. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
4. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
5. How does the British military approach training?
6. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
7. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
8. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
9. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
10. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)