|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
2. In 1776, the British start to get cocky in their attitude toward the rebellion and do not think that it will survive beyond what point?
(a) Winter, 1776.
(b) Fall, 1776.
(c) Spring, 1777.
(d) Summer, 1776.
3. "Washington's Crossing" is a story about which war?
(a) American Revolutionary.
(c) French and Indian.
4. While he hates war passionately, Paine believes it is the lesser of two evils, the worse being what?
(a) Having to live under socialism.
(b) Having to live under French tyranny.
(c) Having to live under British tyranny.
(d) Having to live under Hessian tyranny.
5. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
(a) Analyze the course the revolution has taken, and where it stands.
(b) Consider if the losses in life and other costs are worth the price.
(c) Revive army and civilian spirit for the revolutionary cause.
(d) Evaluate whether or not the American cause has reached an end.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one important way the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
2. General William Howe feels he knows something else. What is it?
3. Congress grants George Washington the power to rebuild his army in the fashion they do because they know what?
4. In a way, General William Howe might be acknowledging what subsequent outcome of sthe Battle at Bunker Hill?
5. The Hessian system of discipline differs from that of the British in that the Hessians make greater use of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
2. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
3. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
4. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
5. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
6. From what source do the Hessians draw their troops?
7. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
8. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
9. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
10. What does the author note regarding the roles order and discipline have in the victories and the defeats?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)