|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Admiral Lord Richard and General William Howe related?
(a) Uncle and nephew.
(c) First cousins.
2. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
(a) Physical exercise.
(c) Use of weapons.
(d) Hand-to-hand combat.
3. At what rate does the Hessian army expand?
(a) Very rapidly.
(c) Somewhat quickly.
4. What is the result of the strong demonstration in which General William Howe participates that is intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
(a) The Battle of Yorktown.
(b) The Ride of Paul Revere.
(c) The Boston Tea Party.
(d) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
5. The officers of the Hessian army all believe in hierarchy, order, and what else?
(b) The Protestant ethic.
(c) Low, leather boots without tassels.
(d) Roman Catholicism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor plays a significant role in British military training?
2. At the time of the American Revolution, which force is equal to the British army?
3. Washington is not everyone's first choice as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. Why is he selected?
4. While he hates war passionately, Paine believes it is the lesser of two evils, the worse being what?
5. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
2. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
3. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
4. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
5. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
6. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
7. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
8. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
9. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
10. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)