|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a way, General William Howe might be acknowledging what subsequent outcome of sthe Battle at Bunker Hill?
(a) The British are already defeated.
(b) Winning the battle means they will win the war.
(c) The British will never concede.
(d) They will not lose with the support of the Hessians.
2. An illness tears through the troops that fight against the Americans during the summer of what year in the latter half of the 1770s?
3. What other group of individuals plays both sides well during the American Revolutionary War?
(b) Tavern and inn owners.
4. The British military is very organized and feels training makes a significant contribution to what?
(a) Scholastic apptitude.
(b) Flag signaling.
(c) Preservation of order.
(d) Morse Code.
5. When the Americans initially flee Long Island, what initially prevents their enemy from catching up?
(a) Low munitions supplies.
(b) Lack of boats with shallow water access.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) Low food supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what battle has General William Howe essentially given up?
2. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
3. At the time of the American Revolution, which force is equal to the British army?
4. How does the American military system prove its superiority?
5. In addition to size, intelligence, and energy, what additional criterion is considered when selecting the British light infantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
2. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
3. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
4. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
5. How does the British military approach training?
6. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
7. How does misinformation cost George Washington the Battle of Long Island in August of 1776?
8. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
9. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
10. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)