|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Congress grants George Washington the power to rebuild his army in the fashion they do because they know what?
(a) He will not abuse this new power.
(b) They have little alternative.
(c) They have to include restrictions given their limited finances.
(d) He can not abuse the new powers given the restrictions.
2. What does Congress grant George Washington in order to build his new army?
(a) Reasonable power with limited restrictions.
(b) Full power within stipulated financial limitations.
(c) Highly limited power within strict guidelines.
(d) Full power using any means he sees fit.
3. "Washington's Crossing" is a story about which war?
(a) American Revolutionary.
(b) French and Indian.
4. What happens in December, 1776, that changes the course of the war?
(a) The British run out of munitions.
(b) The Hessians quit.
(c) Weather changes for the worse.
(d) Weather changes for the better.
5. As the British convene, at what pace does their training continue?
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, General Washington and his remaining troops flee Long Island to what location?
2. Washington is not everyone's first choice as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. Why is he selected?
3. How are Admiral Lord Richard and General William Howe related?
4. General William Howe feels he knows something else. What is it?
5. The British military is very organized and feels training makes a significant contribution to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it George Washington decides to cross the Delaware River and attack Trenton?
2. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
3. How does the British pacification policy run into problems arising from problems of supply?
4. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
5. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
6. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
7. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
8. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
9. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
10. How does the British military approach training?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)