|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does British military training compare with that of the American Revolutionaries?
(a) Virtually the same.
(b) Fairly similar.
(c) Significantly different.
2. The author describes Richard Stockton, as well as members of other notable New Jersey families, as having done what?
(a) Being unswayed loyalists.
(b) Playing both sides in the Revolution.
(c) Being staunch revolutionaries.
(d) Remaining independent of either side.
3. Although the Colonists do not win this episode, after what incident does General William Howe come to believe the British will lose the war?
(a) The Battle of Long Island.
(b) The Battle of Yorktown.
(c) The Battle of Trenton.
(d) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
4. What does the British militia instruct beyond a general attitude?
(a) Specific skills.
(b) How to hunt and cook.
(c) How to swim.
(d) Use of the telegraph.
5. The first chapter, "The Rebels," foreshadows what events?
(a) The death of Benjamin Franklin prior to the end of the war..
(b) The death of Washington prior to the end of the war.
(c) The struggles in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and the Carolinas.
(d) The hardest struggles yet to come in the Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the first British battalions to land?
2. After General Washington leaves New York, where do the British follow the Americans over the Hudson River ?
3. How successful is Thomas Paine in achieving his goal with his second pamphlet?
4. As George Washington makes plans for a surprise attack on Trenton, where do Richard and William Howe disperse the British forces?
5. In what battle do the Americans lose New York to their enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer is the story about what?
2. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
3. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
4. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
5. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
6. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
7. How does the British military approach training?
8. What events at the end of 1776 are foreshadowed early within the chapter entitled "The Retreat?"
9. What does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to do in New Jersey?
10. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)