|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While he hates war passionately, Paine believes it is the lesser of two evils, the worse being what?
(a) Having to live under Hessian tyranny.
(b) Having to live under socialism.
(c) Having to live under British tyranny.
(d) Having to live under French tyranny.
2. How successful is Thomas Paine in achieving his goal with his second pamphlet?
(a) He achieves it.
(b) He is minimally successful.
(c) He is only partially successful.
(d) He has no success.
3. Believing the American rebellion is over, citizens of which city flee fearing the opposing forces are nearing?
4. Why do the British eventually hire the Hessian troops?
(a) A virtual mercenary, the monarch of Hesse, hires on at a bargain rate.
(b) The monarch of Hesse is in deep need of funds.
(c) The British fear fighting will soon break out.
(d) Fighting breaks out in the Colonies.
5. General Washington believes that only 20% of British forces are on Long Island and are ready for battle. In reality, what is this percentage?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Hessian soldiers do the British hire?
2. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
3. What do the British intend to do following their confrontation with the Americans on the New Jersey shoreline of the Hudson River?
4. Following their confrontation in November, 1776, near the New Jersey shoreline on the Hudson River, where does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to follow the Americans?
5. In what month of 1776 do the Americans lose the Battle of Long Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
2. How does the British military approach training?
3. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
4. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
5. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
6. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
7. How does the Hessian army become involved in the American Revolution?
8. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
9. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
10. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)