|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While he hates war passionately, Paine believes it is the lesser of two evils, the worse being what?
(a) Having to live under French tyranny.
(b) Having to live under British tyranny.
(c) Having to live under Hessian tyranny.
(d) Having to live under socialism.
2. The author describes Richard Stockton, as well as members of other notable New Jersey families, as having done what?
(a) Being unswayed loyalists.
(b) Remaining independent of either side.
(c) Playing both sides in the Revolution.
(d) Being staunch revolutionaries.
3. How certain is General William Howe about how successful the British army will be in opposition to the American rebels?
(a) He is certain of the success.
(b) He is unsure of the success.
(c) He is relatively sure of the success.
(d) He is convinced 99% of the success.
4. "Washington's Crossing" is a story about which war?
(a) American Revolutionary.
(d) French and Indian.
5. The Hessian system of discipline differs from that of the British in that the Hessians make greater use of what?
(a) Corporal punishment.
(b) Royal legal system.
(c) Requiring extra drill practice.
(d) Uniform Code of Military Justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habits does General William Howe adopt after he recognizes the rebels' level of resistance?
2. George Washington knows that the British are salivating over the prospect of invading and conquering what city as they wait for a river to freeze to allow them passage?
3. What type of concept is the British light infantry?
4. In addition to a tendency to lose officers after long engagements in America, the British and Hessians suffer troop losses due to what?
5. What other group of individuals plays both sides well during the American Revolutionary War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
2. How does General William Howe act following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
3. What does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to do in New Jersey?
4. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
5. What factor does time play in the Battle for Trenton?
6. What is the outcome when the British attempt to defend Princeton?
7. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
8. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
9. What are the foundational elements behind the British military?
10. How does the initial assault on Trenton fare for the Americans?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)