|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How certain is General William Howe about how successful the British army will be in opposition to the American rebels?
(a) He is relatively sure of the success.
(b) He is certain of the success.
(c) He is unsure of the success.
(d) He is convinced 99% of the success.
2. At the time of the American Revolution, which force is equal to the British army?
(a) French army.
(b) Spanish army.
(c) Hessian army.
(d) They have no equal.
3. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
4. Following their confrontation in November, 1776, near the New Jersey shoreline on the Hudson River, where does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to follow the Americans?
(a) North to Boston.
(b) Down to Baltimore.
(c) Back to Philadelphia.
(d) Clear across the state.
5. What are the first British battalions to land?
(a) Light infantry, then heavy artillery.
(b) Cavalry, then light infantry.
(c) Light infantry, then grenadiers.
(d) Grenadiers, then light infantry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How extensively do the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
2. What type of concept is the British light infantry?
3. "Washington's Crossing" is a story about which war?
4. General Washington believes that only 20% of British forces are on Long Island and are ready for battle. In reality, what is this percentage?
5. What is the overall goal of the British in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the war victory celebrated by Bostonians premature when the British leave town and George Washington and his men march through as heroes?
2. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
3. How does the British pacification policy run into problems arising from problems of supply?
4. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
5. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
6. Although the British eventually gain the upper hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, what is it that so affects General William Howe?
7. How does George Washington fare in Manhattan in 1776?
8. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
9. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
10. What is an interesting fact the author notes regarding the American attitude during their retreat through New Jersey?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)