|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the British eventually hire the Hessian troops?
(a) Fighting breaks out in the Colonies.
(b) The monarch of Hesse is in deep need of funds.
(c) A virtual mercenary, the monarch of Hesse, hires on at a bargain rate.
(d) The British fear fighting will soon break out.
2. What habits does General William Howe adopt after he recognizes the rebels' level of resistance?
(a) Carousing and gambling, indicating he cares little going forward.
(b) Praying, reading his Bible, and baptizing fellow soldiers.
(c) Fighting harder, resisting longer, and refusing to yield.
(d) Demonstrating courage, conviction, and traits of a gentleman.
3. Who does not allow the Hessians the rest they request?
(a) Lieutenant Andreas von Wiederholdt.
(b) Colonel Johann Gottlieb Rall.
(c) Friedrich Wilhelm II.
(d) General William Howe.
4. General William Howe feels he knows something else. What is it?
(a) The rebels will never see eye to eye with the King's troops.
(b) The rebels will join the King's troops in opposition to the Hessians.
(c) The rebels will be willing to negotiate with the King's troops.
(d) Under sufficient pressure, the rebels will concede to the King's troops.
5. The author describes Richard Stockton, as well as members of other notable New Jersey families, as having done what?
(a) Being staunch revolutionaries.
(b) Playing both sides in the Revolution.
(c) Remaining independent of either side.
(d) Being unswayed loyalists.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Washington believes that only 20% of British forces are on Long Island and are ready for battle. In reality, what is this percentage?
2. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
3. The summer illness that plagues those fighting the Americans in the latter half of the 1770s strikes which troops?
4. Until the point in "Washington's Crossing" where the Americans cross the river and make a surprise attack, they suffer what types of defeat?
5. What is the result of the strong demonstration in which General William Howe participates that is intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George Washington fare in Manhattan in 1776?
2. Why is George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River considered the turning point in the American Revolutionary War?
3. What does Thomas Paine seek to change with his second pamphlet, entitled "The American Crisis," in November 1776?
4. As the winter of 1776 approaches, what view do the British develop regarding the American Revolution?
5. When they arrive in America, the British army consists of what elements?
6. Who are the British military's Howe brothers?
7. How might the officers of the Hessian army be described?
8. What does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to do in New Jersey?
9. What causes the British to feel slightly vulnerable to attack?
10. How do the Hessians and British military forces differ in their approach to discipline?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)