|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Military training is important to the British as they feel it enforces what?
(a) Use of equipment.
(b) Adoption of skills.
(c) Troop obedience.
(d) Understanding of bugle calls.
2. At what rate does the Hessian army expand?
(a) Very rapidly.
(b) Somewhat quickly.
3. How does General Washington respond to families, such as the Van Hornes, who pledge allegiance to the king?
(a) He orders them to trial on charges of treason.
(b) He compels them to relinquish their property and financial assets.
(c) He deports them to a neutral island in the Caribbean Sea.
(d) He does nothing other than look down on it.
4. What other group of individuals plays both sides well during the American Revolutionary War?
(c) Tavern and inn owners.
5. What is a big issue facing the American rebels?
(a) Lack of courage.
(b) Overload of ammunition supplies.
(c) Lack of enemy intelligence.
(d) Lack of dedication.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that, as the Americans mature as a cohesive unit, they will eventually see the benefits of what?
2. How does British military training compare with that of the American Revolutionaries?
3. What habits does General William Howe adopt after he recognizes the rebels' level of resistance?
4. How successful is Thomas Paine in achieving his goal with his second pamphlet?
5. How many Hessian soldiers do the British hire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is General William Howe's view regarding the British chances of defeating the American rebels following the Battle of Bunker Hill?
2. What are two of the many ways in which the Americans display their lack of discipline and training?
3. Why do the British and Hessians come to incur heavy losses as the war progresses?
4. What causes the British to feel slightly vulnerable to attack?
5. Describe the relatively new concept of a light infantry which is brought to New York by the British.
6. How does misinformation cost George Washington the Battle of Long Island in August of 1776?
7. As their enemy comes to suffer heavy losses as the war progresses, why is it the American system proves superior?
8. What do the Van Horne, Stockton, and other prominent New Jersey families, have in common during the Revolution?
9. Why was George Washington selected as commander-in-chief of the American army?
10. Why is it in this chapter, "The Crisis," that the author mentions that some people refer to George Washington as a dictator?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)