|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
(a) Use of weapons.
(b) Hand-to-hand combat.
(d) Physical exercise.
2. In the chapter entitled "The Crisis," the author notes people already use the title "his Excellency" when speaking to George Washington, but identifies what other term as having a very different tone to it?
3. What factor plays a significant role in British military training?
(a) Allowance of wine at meals.
(c) A significant number with criminal pasts.
(d) Purchasing rank levels.
4. The British military is very organized and feels training makes a significant contribution to what?
(a) Preservation of order.
(b) Scholastic apptitude.
(c) Morse Code.
(d) Flag signaling.
5. What is the title of Thomas Paine's second pamphlet?
(a) The American Crisis.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) The Colonial Crisis.
(d) The Colonial Revolution.
6. Military training is important to the British as they feel it enforces what?
(a) Use of equipment.
(b) Understanding of bugle calls.
(c) Troop obedience.
(d) Adoption of skills.
7. Admiral Lord Richard and General William Howe are stationed in the Colonies by whose orders?
(a) The British Parliment.
(b) The British House of Commons.
(c) The British Secretary of War.
(d) The British King.
8. Where in New York Harbor do the British and Hessian armies arrive?
(a) Staten Island.
(b) Long Island.
9. The British peg Richard Stockton as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, capture him, and then compel him to do what?
(a) Move with his family to South Carolina.
(b) Pledge allegiance to the king and abandon the American cause.
(c) Serve nearly a year in British confinement.
(d) Sail to Britain for the duration of the conflict.
10. George Washington knows that the British are salivating over the prospect of invading and conquering what city as they wait for a river to freeze to allow them passage?
11. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
12. The Americans move to what state following their defeat in New York?
(a) New Jersey.
13. At what rate does the Hessian army expand?
(a) Very rapidly.
(b) Somewhat quickly.
14. Initially, General Washington and his remaining troops flee Long Island to what location?
(b) Staten Island.
(d) The Bronx.
15. Where does General William Howe become part of a strong demonstration intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
(c) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, "The Rebels," the author foreshadows upcoming events by initially using what term?
2. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
3. How extensively do the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
4. What is the result of the strong demonstration in which General William Howe participates that is intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
5. What is a big issue facing the American rebels?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)