|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
(a) Consider if the losses in life and other costs are worth the price.
(b) Evaluate whether or not the American cause has reached an end.
(c) Revive army and civilian spirit for the revolutionary cause.
(d) Analyze the course the revolution has taken, and where it stands.
2. Believing the American rebellion is over, citizens of which city flee fearing the opposing forces are nearing?
3. The Americans move to what state following their defeat in New York?
(c) New Jersey.
4. How many Hessian soldiers do the British hire?
(a) Hundreds of thousands.
(b) Several hundred.
(c) Tens of thousands.
(d) Several thousand.
5. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
6. In 1776, the British start to get cocky in their attitude toward the rebellion and do not think that it will survive beyond what point?
(a) Winter, 1776.
(b) Summer, 1776.
(c) Spring, 1777.
(d) Fall, 1776.
7. The opposing forces' problems are not directly due to the Americans, but from the failing strength of the British and Hessian forces reulting from what?
(a) Being spread too thin.
(b) Desertion of troops.
(c) Running out of food.
(d) Massive iIllness being incurred.
8. On what single most urgent task does Thoma Paine attempt to concentrate the mind of the nation?
(a) Obtain a true democratic government, nationally.
(b) Quickly rebuilding its army.
(c) Achieve national unity, with determination.
(d) Attain a guerrilla combat victory, soon.
9. What is a big issue facing the American rebels?
(a) Lack of courage.
(b) Overload of ammunition supplies.
(c) Lack of dedication.
(d) Lack of enemy intelligence.
10. In addition to size, intelligence, and energy, what additional criterion is considered when selecting the British light infantry?
(a) Hand-to-hand fighting skills.
(b) Expertise with knives and sabers.
(d) Marital status.
11. Rather than a retreat from New York, how does General Washington view the maneuver?
(a) As a "slide to the side."
(b) As "resorting gear at the rear."
(c) As a "switch in fronts."
(d) As a "swing to the wing."
12. The Hessian troops are exhausted and want to move where to fully rest themselves?
(a) Better quarters.
(c) New York.
13. What other group of individuals plays both sides well during the American Revolutionary War?
(b) Tavern and inn owners.
14. The first chapter, "The Rebels," foreshadows which battles?
(a) The biggest.
(b) Merely sea battles.
(c) No battles.
(d) Every battle.
15. Where does General William Howe become part of a strong demonstration intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
(b) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the British opt not to hire the Hessian army to serve in the Colonies long before the American Revolution?
2. Congress grants George Washington the power to rebuild his army in the fashion they do because they know what?
3. General William Howe feels he knows something else. What is it?
4. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
5. After the British depart, Washington marches through what town with his troops and is hailed as a hero?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)