|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The British pacification policy runs into problems arising from a lack of supply, and troops commonly doing what?
(a) Purchasing from farmers.
(b) Exchanging British money.
(c) Foraging as needed.
(d) Purchasing from merchants.
2. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
3. In the chapter entitled "The Crisis," the author notes people already use the title "his Excellency" when speaking to George Washington, but identifies what other term as having a very different tone to it?
4. Where in New York Harbor do the British and Hessian armies arrive?
(c) Long Island.
(d) Staten Island.
5. Military training is important to the British as they feel it enforces what?
(a) Troop obedience.
(b) Adoption of skills.
(c) Understanding of bugle calls.
(d) Use of equipment.
6. At one point, what is it that haunts General William Howe about the Battle at Bunker Hill, which is eventually won by the British?
(a) The endless supply of rebel weapons and munitions.
(b) The comparable military skills of the rebels.
(c) How few officers die.
(d) The amount of bloodshed.
7. How does British military training compare with that of the American Revolutionaries?
(a) Fairly similar.
(b) Virtually the same.
(c) Significantly different.
8. At what location are the Americans just a few miles from where the British settle on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River?
(a) Fort Delaware.
(b) Fort Greene.
(c) Fort Washington.
(d) Fort Lee.
9. In what battle do the Americans lose New York to their enemy?
(a) Fort Albany.
(b) Fort Lee.
(c) Fort Washington.
(d) Fort Lewis.
10. Admiral Lord Richard and General William Howe are stationed in the Colonies by whose orders?
(a) The British House of Commons.
(b) The British King.
(c) The British Secretary of War.
(d) The British Parliment.
11. The first chapter, "The Rebels," foreshadows what events?
(a) The struggles in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and the Carolinas.
(b) The death of Benjamin Franklin prior to the end of the war..
(c) The death of Washington prior to the end of the war.
(d) The hardest struggles yet to come in the Revolution.
12. Through where do the British and Hessian troops continue to chase the rebels in pursuit of their goal?
(a) Eastern Pennsylvania.
(b) Western Connecticut.
(c) Southern New York.
(d) Southern New Jersey.
13. The American troops are given how many days' advance notice to get supplies and weaponry together to create the element of surprise in their attack on Trenton?
14. How extensively do the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
(a) In few ways.
(b) In virtually all ways.
(c) In a moderate number of ways.
(d) In many ways.
15. If a Hessian soldier misbehaves, who else suffers the same consequences?
(a) Fellow troops in his squad.
(b) Fellow citizens of his home village or town.
(c) Fellow troops in his regiment.
(d) Fellow members in his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, General Washington and his remaining troops flee Long Island to what location?
2. While he hates war passionately, Paine believes it is the lesser of two evils, the worse being what?
3. George Washington knows that the British are salivating over the prospect of invading and conquering what city as they wait for a river to freeze to allow them passage?
4. Although the Colonists do not win this episode, after what incident does General William Howe come to believe the British will lose the war?
5. Until the point in "Washington's Crossing" where the Americans cross the river and make a surprise attack, they suffer what types of defeat?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)