|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month of 1776 do the Americans lose the Battle of Long Island?
(b) Early September.
2. Who is the best choice for Commander-in-Chief given his experience of command yet is young enough to take the field?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Thomas Paine.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) George Washington.
3. In order to put the Americans down and keep them down, General William Howe feels the British will have to be what?
(a) Very positive.
(b) Very resistant.
(c) Very regressive.
(d) Very aggressive.
4. As George Washington makes plans for a surprise attack on Trenton, where do Richard and William Howe disperse the British forces?
(a) Across western New Jersey.
(b) Far and wide throughout New Jersey.
(c) Throughout eastern New Jersey and New York.
(d) Across southern New Jersey.
5. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
(b) Use of weapons.
(c) Hand-to-hand combat.
(d) Physical exercise.
6. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
7. How does General Washington respond to families, such as the Van Hornes, who pledge allegiance to the king?
(a) He deports them to a neutral island in the Caribbean Sea.
(b) He orders them to trial on charges of treason.
(c) He does nothing other than look down on it.
(d) He compels them to relinquish their property and financial assets.
8. The British peg Richard Stockton as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, capture him, and then compel him to do what?
(a) Serve nearly a year in British confinement.
(b) Move with his family to South Carolina.
(c) Sail to Britain for the duration of the conflict.
(d) Pledge allegiance to the king and abandon the American cause.
9. What does the British militia instruct beyond a general attitude?
(a) Specific skills.
(b) How to hunt and cook.
(c) Use of the telegraph.
(d) How to swim.
10. "Washington's Crossing" details each battle fought from Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Fort Lee, Trenton, and ultimately where?
11. The Hessian system of discipline differs from that of the British in that the Hessians make greater use of what?
(a) Uniform Code of Military Justice.
(b) Corporal punishment.
(c) Royal legal system.
(d) Requiring extra drill practice.
12. Washington is not everyone's first choice as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. Why is he selected?
(a) Northern delegates insist on a Pennsylvanian.
(b) Southern delegates insist on a North Carolinian.
(c) Southern delegates insist on a Georgian.
(d) Southern delegates insist on a Virginian.
13. At what location are the Americans just a few miles from where the British settle on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River?
(a) Fort Lee.
(b) Fort Delaware.
(c) Fort Washington.
(d) Fort Greene.
14. Congress grants George Washington the power to rebuild his army in the fashion they do because they know what?
(a) They have to include restrictions given their limited finances.
(b) He will not abuse this new power.
(c) He can not abuse the new powers given the restrictions.
(d) They have little alternative.
15. In what battle do the Americans lose New York to their enemy?
(a) Fort Washington.
(b) Fort Lewis.
(c) Fort Albany.
(d) Fort Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, General Washington and his remaining troops flee Long Island to what location?
2. What is one important way the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
3. Where does General William Howe become part of a strong demonstration intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
4. While officers of the Hessian army all have specific beliefs, by what are these men defined?
5. How extensively do the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)