|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the British militia instruct beyond a general attitude?
(a) How to swim.
(b) How to hunt and cook.
(c) Use of the telegraph.
(d) Specific skills.
2. As George Washington makes plans for a surprise attack on Trenton, where do Richard and William Howe disperse the British forces?
(a) Across western New Jersey.
(b) Across southern New Jersey.
(c) Throughout eastern New Jersey and New York.
(d) Far and wide throughout New Jersey.
3. After the British depart, Washington marches through what town with his troops and is hailed as a hero?
(c) New York.
4. After General Washington leaves New York, where do the British follow the Americans over the Hudson River ?
(b) Plymouth Rock.
5. At what rate does the Hessian army expand?
(a) Somewhat quickly.
(d) Very rapidly.
6. The summer illness that plagues those fighting the Americans in the latter half of the 1770s strikes which troops?
(a) British only.
(c) All opposed to the Americans.
(d) Hessian only.
7. What is the overall goal of the British in America?
(a) Flee the Colonies at the earliest possibility.
(b) Ensure a victory in the Colonies at any cost.
(c) Achieve Colonial order upon a British war victory.
(d) Restore Colonial peace and order rather than continue a war.
8. The British peg Richard Stockton as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, capture him, and then compel him to do what?
(a) Pledge allegiance to the king and abandon the American cause.
(b) Serve nearly a year in British confinement.
(c) Sail to Britain for the duration of the conflict.
(d) Move with his family to South Carolina.
9. In the first chapter, "The Rebels," the author foreshadows upcoming events by initially using what term?
(a) The Boss.
(b) His Excellency.
(c) His Highness.
(d) The Admiral.
10. In 1776, the British start to get cocky in their attitude toward the rebellion and do not think that it will survive beyond what point?
(a) Fall, 1776.
(b) Spring, 1777.
(c) Summer, 1776.
(d) Winter, 1776.
11. Who expands the Hessian army?
(a) Andreas von Wiederholdt II.
(b) Johann Gottlieb II.
(c) Friedrich Wilhelm II.
(d) Wilhelm Karl Friedrich II.
12. What is the title of Thomas Paine's second pamphlet?
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The Colonial Revolution.
(c) The American Crisis.
(d) The Colonial Crisis.
13. How certain is General William Howe about how successful the British army will be in opposition to the American rebels?
(a) He is certain of the success.
(b) He is convinced 99% of the success.
(c) He is unsure of the success.
(d) He is relatively sure of the success.
14. Where does the Americans' intelligence methodology work better than it had in New York?
(b) Hudson River Valley.
(c) Harpers Ferry.
15. The Hessian troops are exhausted and want to move where to fully rest themselves?
(b) Better quarters.
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point, what is it that haunts General William Howe about the Battle at Bunker Hill, which is eventually won by the British?
2. When the Americans initially flee Long Island, what initially prevents their enemy from catching up?
3. While officers of the Hessian army all have specific beliefs, by what are these men defined?
4. From where do most of the high-ranking Hessian officers come?
5. How many Hessian soldiers do the British hire?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)