|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How certain is General William Howe about how successful the British army will be in opposition to the American rebels?
(a) He is certain of the success.
(b) He is convinced 99% of the success.
(c) He is relatively sure of the success.
(d) He is unsure of the success.
2. The Hessian troops are exhausted and want to move where to fully rest themselves?
(a) New York.
(b) Better quarters.
3. What are the first British battalions to land?
(a) Light infantry, then grenadiers.
(b) Cavalry, then light infantry.
(c) Light infantry, then heavy artillery.
(d) Grenadiers, then light infantry.
4. What is Thomas Paine's intention in publishing his second pamphlet?
(a) Consider if the losses in life and other costs are worth the price.
(b) Evaluate whether or not the American cause has reached an end.
(c) Analyze the course the revolution has taken, and where it stands.
(d) Revive army and civilian spirit for the revolutionary cause.
5. The first chapter, "The Rebels," foreshadows which battles?
(a) Every battle.
(b) Merely sea battles.
(c) The biggest.
(d) No battles.
6. Initially, General Washington and his remaining troops flee Long Island to what location?
(a) The Bronx.
(d) Staten Island.
7. General Washington believes that only 20% of British forces are on Long Island and are ready for battle. In reality, what is this percentage?
8. Why do the British eventually hire the Hessian troops?
(a) The British fear fighting will soon break out.
(b) Fighting breaks out in the Colonies.
(c) A virtual mercenary, the monarch of Hesse, hires on at a bargain rate.
(d) The monarch of Hesse is in deep need of funds.
9. What do the British intend to do following their confrontation with the Americans on the New Jersey shoreline of the Hudson River?
(a) Defeat the Americans in battle with minimal casualties on either side.
(b) Compel the Americans into surrendering.
(c) Force an American retreat without engaging them in battle.
(d) Engage the Americans in battle and defeat them.
10. When does Thomas Paine decide to publish another pamphlet similar to Common Sense?
(a) October, 1776.
(b) November, 1776.
(c) December, 1776.
(d) January, 1777.
11. "Washington's Crossing" is a story about which war?
(b) American Revolutionary.
(d) French and Indian.
12. The British military is very organized and feels training makes a significant contribution to what?
(a) Scholastic apptitude.
(b) Morse Code.
(c) Flag signaling.
(d) Preservation of order.
13. George Washington knows that the British are salivating over the prospect of invading and conquering what city as they wait for a river to freeze to allow them passage?
14. What is the result of the strong demonstration in which General William Howe participates that is intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
(a) The Boston Tea Party.
(b) The Battle of Yorktown.
(c) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(d) The Ride of Paul Revere.
15. The officers of the Hessian army all believe in hierarchy, order, and what else?
(a) Roman Catholicism.
(b) Low, leather boots without tassels.
(c) The Protestant ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Americans initially flee Long Island, what initially prevents their enemy from catching up?
2. How frequently does the leader of the Hessian army conduct drills?
3. What factor plays a significant role in British military training?
4. How does General Washington respond to families, such as the Van Hornes, who pledge allegiance to the king?
5. What is a big issue facing the American rebels?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)