|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington is not everyone's first choice as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. Why is he selected?
(a) Southern delegates insist on a North Carolinian.
(b) Southern delegates insist on a Georgian.
(c) Northern delegates insist on a Pennsylvanian.
(d) Southern delegates insist on a Virginian.
2. Where in New York Harbor do the British and Hessian armies arrive?
(a) Staten Island.
(d) Long Island.
3. How are Admiral Lord Richard and General William Howe related?
(a) First cousins.
(c) Uncle and nephew.
4. What do the British learn after mastering the skill of marching?
(a) Use of weapons.
(b) Physical exercise.
(d) Hand-to-hand combat.
5. After General Washington leaves New York, where do the British follow the Americans over the Hudson River ?
(a) Plymouth Rock.
6. When the Americans initially flee Long Island, what initially prevents their enemy from catching up?
(a) Low munitions supplies.
(b) Low food supplies.
(c) Lack of boats with shallow water access.
(d) Bad weather.
7. Although the Colonists do not win this episode, after what incident does General William Howe come to believe the British will lose the war?
(a) The Battle of Yorktown.
(b) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(c) The Battle of Trenton.
(d) The Battle of Long Island.
8. While officers of the Hessian army all have specific beliefs, by what are these men defined?
(a) Courage and wealth.
(b) Courage and honor.
(c) Aristocracy and wealth.
(d) Honor and aristocracy.
9. The first chapter, "The Rebels," foreshadows what events?
(a) The hardest struggles yet to come in the Revolution.
(b) The death of Washington prior to the end of the war.
(c) The death of Benjamin Franklin prior to the end of the war..
(d) The struggles in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and the Carolinas.
10. Who does not allow the Hessians the rest they request?
(a) Lieutenant Andreas von Wiederholdt.
(b) General William Howe.
(c) Colonel Johann Gottlieb Rall.
(d) Friedrich Wilhelm II.
11. After their victory in New York, the British make plans to settle down for the winter. However, what distance factor works against them in a big way?
(a) Fresh troops and supplies take a long time to reach America.
(b) Ability to maintain effective communication and accurate intelligence.
(c) Movement of their troops and equipment has been costly.
(d) Movement of their troops and equipment has been slow given the size.
12. Through where do the British and Hessian troops continue to chase the rebels in pursuit of their goal?
(a) Eastern Pennsylvania.
(b) Southern New Jersey.
(c) Western Connecticut.
(d) Southern New York.
13. The Hessian troops are exhausted and want to move where to fully rest themselves?
(c) New York.
(d) Better quarters.
14. How successful is Thomas Paine in achieving his goal with his second pamphlet?
(a) He is only partially successful.
(b) He is minimally successful.
(c) He achieves it.
(d) He has no success.
15. How extensively do the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
(a) In few ways.
(b) In a moderate number of ways.
(c) In virtually all ways.
(d) In many ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does British military training compare with that of the American Revolutionaries?
2. What is one important way the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
3. The Americans move to what state following their defeat in New York?
4. As George Washington makes plans for a surprise attack on Trenton, where do Richard and William Howe disperse the British forces?
5. From where do most of the high-ranking Hessian officers come?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)