|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to a tendency to lose officers after long engagements in America, the British and Hessians suffer troop losses due to what?
(a) Lack of food, comfort, and no contact with home.
(b) Exhaustion, frequently getting lost, and inferior equipment.
(c) Massive desertion, illness, and lack of food.
(d) Illness, exhaustion, and lack of replacements.
2. What type of concept is the British light infantry?
(b) Since early 1500s.
(c) Practiced only by British marines.
3. At what location are the Americans just a few miles from where the British settle on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River?
(a) Fort Delaware.
(b) Fort Lee.
(c) Fort Washington.
(d) Fort Greene.
4. According to the author, during the American's retreat following their defeat in New York, how do the rebels behave?
(a) Like a beaten army in flight.
(b) Unlike a beaten army in skirmishes along the road.
(c) In full resistance to the British and Hessians.
(d) In stubborn resistance when they are nearly in equal opposition.
5. Washington is not everyone's first choice as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. Why is he selected?
(a) Southern delegates insist on a North Carolinian.
(b) Northern delegates insist on a Pennsylvanian.
(c) Southern delegates insist on a Georgian.
(d) Southern delegates insist on a Virginian.
6. Who is the best choice for Commander-in-Chief given his experience of command yet is young enough to take the field?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Thomas Paine.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
7. In addition to size, intelligence, and energy, what additional criterion is considered when selecting the British light infantry?
(a) Expertise with knives and sabers.
(c) Marital status.
(d) Hand-to-hand fighting skills.
8. At one point, what is it that haunts General William Howe about the Battle at Bunker Hill, which is eventually won by the British?
(a) How few officers die.
(b) The comparable military skills of the rebels.
(c) The amount of bloodshed.
(d) The endless supply of rebel weapons and munitions.
9. In what battle do the Americans lose New York to their enemy?
(a) Fort Lewis.
(b) Fort Washington.
(c) Fort Lee.
(d) Fort Albany.
10. From where do most of the high-ranking Hessian officers come?
(a) The middle-class.
(b) The aristocracy.
(c) Sandhurst Royal Military Academy.
(d) Hesse, a province in western Russia.
11. After General Washington leaves New York, where do the British follow the Americans over the Hudson River ?
(d) Plymouth Rock.
12. What do the people view Washington as being?
(a) A true leader.
(b) A poor military leader.
(c) Strictly a politician.
(d) Best suited to plantation management.
13. What is the overall goal of the British in America?
(a) Flee the Colonies at the earliest possibility.
(b) Ensure a victory in the Colonies at any cost.
(c) Achieve Colonial order upon a British war victory.
(d) Restore Colonial peace and order rather than continue a war.
14. Where in New York Harbor do the British and Hessian armies arrive?
(a) Staten Island.
(b) Long Island.
15. How does British military training compare with that of the American Revolutionaries?
(b) Virtually the same.
(c) Fairly similar.
(d) Significantly different.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Washington's Crossing" details each battle fought from Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Fort Lee, Trenton, and ultimately where?
2. An illness tears through the troops that fight against the Americans during the summer of what year in the latter half of the 1770s?
3. Military training is important to the British as they feel it enforces what?
4. In the chapter entitled "The Crisis," the author notes people already use the title "his Excellency" when speaking to George Washington, but identifies what other term as having a very different tone to it?
5. Where does the Americans' intelligence methodology work better than it had in New York?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)