|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Congress grant George Washington in order to build his new army?
(a) Highly limited power within strict guidelines.
(b) Full power within stipulated financial limitations.
(c) Reasonable power with limited restrictions.
(d) Full power using any means he sees fit.
2. The summer illness that plagues those fighting the Americans in the latter half of the 1770s strikes which troops?
(a) All opposed to the Americans.
(b) Hessian only.
(d) British only.
3. "Washington's Crossing" concerns what river?
4. In the first chapter, "The Rebels," the author foreshadows upcoming events by initially using what term?
(a) His Highness.
(b) The Admiral.
(c) His Excellency.
(d) The Boss.
5. What is the result of the strong demonstration in which General William Howe participates that is intended to force the Colonists back to their proper allegiance?
(a) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(b) The Battle of Yorktown.
(c) The Ride of Paul Revere.
(d) The Boston Tea Party.
6. What is one important way the Americans display their lack of training and discipline?
(a) Their virtual inability to utilize firearms.
(b) Their maintaining their lodging in disarray and constantly soiled.
(c) Their unwillingness to give their lives to the effort.
(d) Their lack of dedication to the cause in difficult times.
7. The Hessian army is comprised of what type of soldiers?
8. How does British military training compare with that of the American Revolutionaries?
(a) Significantly different.
(b) Virtually the same.
(c) Fairly similar.
9. Where does the Americans' intelligence methodology work better than it had in New York?
(a) Harpers Ferry.
(d) Hudson River Valley.
10. Following their confrontation in November, 1776, near the New Jersey shoreline on the Hudson River, where does General Cornwallis instruct his troops to follow the Americans?
(a) Down to Baltimore.
(b) Clear across the state.
(c) North to Boston.
(d) Back to Philadelphia.
11. General Washington believes that only 20% of British forces are on Long Island and are ready for battle. In reality, what is this percentage?
12. Congress grants George Washington the power to rebuild his army in the fashion they do because they know what?
(a) They have to include restrictions given their limited finances.
(b) They have little alternative.
(c) He can not abuse the new powers given the restrictions.
(d) He will not abuse this new power.
13. George Washington knows that the British are salivating over the prospect of invading and conquering what city as they wait for a river to freeze to allow them passage?
14. What type of concept is the British light infantry?
(a) Practiced only by British marines.
(d) Since early 1500s.
15. When does the American Revolutionary War take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. The officers of the Hessian army all believe in hierarchy, order, and what else?
2. What habits does General William Howe adopt after he recognizes the rebels' level of resistance?
3. The Americans move to what state following their defeat in New York?
4. Why do the British opt not to hire the Hessian army to serve in the Colonies long before the American Revolution?
5. Who is the best choice for Commander-in-Chief given his experience of command yet is young enough to take the field?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)