|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington had to borrow _________________ to attend his own inauguration as First President of the United States.
2. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
3. Washington and his army spent the Winter of ________________ in Valley Forge.
4. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
5. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of State?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
2. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
3. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
4. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
5. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
6. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
7. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
8. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
9. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
10. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alexander Hamilton. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)