|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rebellions in the state in #127 made it clear that the _______________________ needed to be written.
2. What was the state of Mount Vernon when Washington returned from war?
3. Washington struggled all his life with ________________ problems.
4. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
5. What did Mount Vernon require from Washington upon his return from war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
2. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
3. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
4. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
5. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
6. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
7. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
8. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
9. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
10. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Washington measure up to these people? What was Washington's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)