|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
2. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
3. Washington learned that Benedict Arnold had been conspiring with the British to capture ____________________.
4. Who was the envoy who Washington sent to England to demand the end of their seizing American ships and imprisoning American citizens they thought were British deserters?
5. In what city did Washington serve as the president of the new country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
2. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
3. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
4. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
5. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
6. What were some of the hardships Washington's men suffered at Valley Forge in the Winter of 1777?
7. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
8. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
9. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
10. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain George Washington as a boy and a young man. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 2
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact that Washington's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a prominent man in 18th century Virginia? What impact did his father's death have on Washington? What stigmas did Washington live with for his entire life?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)