|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington found himself in the middle of a controversy as the president of the _______________________ when it came out that membership included a hereditary clause.
2. Alexander Hamilton delivered the Report on Public Credit that included his assertion that the federal government should take on the states' debts ________________________.
3. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
4. How many years did Washington spend as President of the United States?
5. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
2. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
3. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
4. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
5. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
6. What impression about himself was Washington very careful about preserving?
7. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
8. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
9. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
10. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)