|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the state of Mount Vernon when Washington returned from war?
2. What role did Washington accept at the convention in #129?
3. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
4. What did Mount Vernon require from Washington upon his return from war?
5. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
2. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
3. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
4. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
5. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
6. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
7. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
8. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
9. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
10. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Thomas Jefferson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Washington measure up to these people? What was Washington's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in rural Virginia in the mid-18th century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Martha Washington? Explain.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)