|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT an issue Washington tended to during most of 1782?
2. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
3. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
4. Where did Washington slip away to while on his way to survey the battles taking place in the South?
5. In the Spring of 1780, Cornwallis and Clinton took a flotilla to ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Washington do to improve his finances when he was struggling with his financial situation?
2. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
3. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
4. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
5. What impression about himself was Washington very careful about preserving?
6. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
7. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
8. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
9. What were the circumstances in which Washington was elected president?
10. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the author, even before Washington was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of unquestionable integrity. Cite some examples in Washington's life that prove this statement. What is Chernow's overall perception of Washington's character?
Essay Topic 2
George Washington was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Washington's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in rural Virginia in the mid-18th century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Martha Washington? Explain.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)