|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what margin did Washington win the presidency of the new country?
2. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of the Treasury?
3. What placed a huge burden on Washington's precarious finances?
4. How many years did Washington spend as President of the United States?
5. What disease broke out in Washington in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
2. What impression about himself was Washington very careful about preserving?
3. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
4. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
5. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
6. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
7. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
8. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
9. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
10. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Alexander Hamilton. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
During the Revolutionary War period, Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times tried the soul of George Washington. What brought him to the depths of despair? What motivated him? What role did he think he had in bringing the American citizens through such desperate times? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)