|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington and his army spent the Winter of ________________ in Valley Forge.
2. In 1790, the Residence Act was passed, making _____________________ the temporary capital of the country.
3. Who was the envoy who Washington sent to England to demand the end of their seizing American ships and imprisoning American citizens they thought were British deserters?
4. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
5. Which of the following was NOT an issue Washington tended to during most of 1782?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances in which Washington was elected president?
2. What were some of the hardships Washington's men suffered at Valley Forge in the Winter of 1777?
3. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
4. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
5. What impression about himself was Washington very careful about preserving?
6. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
7. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
8. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
9. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
10. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact that Washington's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a prominent man in 18th century Virginia? What impact did his father's death have on Washington? What stigmas did Washington live with for his entire life?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)