|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the organization formed to support soldiers and their families after the war?
2. Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the ______________________.
3. What did Washington look forward to doing after the war?
4. Washington was chronically in debt because _______________________.
5. Washington struggled all his life with ________________ problems.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
2. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
3. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
4. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
5. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
6. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
7. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
8. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
9. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
10. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain George Washington as a boy and a young man. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Washington measure up to these people? What was Washington's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)