|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT strained when Washington was forced to entertain so many visitors after the war?
2. In what city was the convention in #129 held?
3. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
4. What did Washington attend before leaving Philadelphia for retirement?
5. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
2. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
3. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
4. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
5. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
6. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
7. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
8. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
9. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
10. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of Washington's ambitions? Was he consumed with winning and getting ahead? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)