|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which foreign dignitary did Washington remain friends with after the war?
2. Who was the envoy who Washington sent to England to demand the end of their seizing American ships and imprisoning American citizens they thought were British deserters?
3. A short time after the Battle of Monmouth, the _________________ reinforcements arrived to assist Washington.
4. Which of the Founding Fathers achieved a pair of treaties with France, boosting morale at Valley Forge?
5. What was a point of contention between Washington and a foreign dignitary who remained his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
2. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
3. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
4. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
5. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
6. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
7. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
8. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
9. What did Washington do to improve his finances when he was struggling with his financial situation?
10. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WASHINGTON: A LIFE? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Which role did Washington feel was his most important during his life? Which role was most gratifying to Washington in his life? Is there something Washington would have liked to do but never had the chance?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of John Adams. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)