|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the ______________________.
2. What placed a huge burden on Washington's precarious finances?
3. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
4. What is a flotilla?
5. How old was the person in #105 when he/she died in 1781?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
2. What did Washington do to improve his finances when he was struggling with his financial situation?
3. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
4. What impression about himself was Washington very careful about preserving?
5. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
6. What were some of the hardships Washington's men suffered at Valley Forge in the Winter of 1777?
7. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
8. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
9. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
10. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Thomas Jefferson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)