|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the person in #105 when he/she died in 1781?
2. What was the state of Mount Vernon when Washington returned from war?
3. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
4. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
5. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances in which Washington was elected president?
2. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
3. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
4. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
5. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
6. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
7. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
8. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
9. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
10. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in rural Virginia in the mid-18th century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Martha Washington? Explain.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)