|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington was chronically in debt because _______________________.
2. Which of the following was NOT an issue Washington tended to during most of 1782?
3. Washington and his men spent the Winter of 1779 in which New Jersey town?
4. What disease broke out in Washington in 1793?
5. The overwhelming problem Washington had to deal with in the Summer of 1794 was a rebellion in Virginia and Pennsylvania against ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
2. What did Washington do to improve his finances when he was struggling with his financial situation?
3. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
4. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
5. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
6. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
7. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
8. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
9. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
10. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of John Adams. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Which role did Washington feel was his most important during his life? Which role was most gratifying to Washington in his life? Is there something Washington would have liked to do but never had the chance?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact that Washington's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a prominent man in 18th century Virginia? What impact did his father's death have on Washington? What stigmas did Washington live with for his entire life?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)