|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
2. The overwhelming problem Washington had to deal with in the Summer of 1794 was a rebellion in Virginia and Pennsylvania against ____________________.
3. Who was a French ambassador to the United States during the French Revolution?
4. Valley Forge is located in which state?
5. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Washington's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a prominent man in 18th century Virginia? What impact did his father's death have on Washington? What stigmas did Washington live with for his entire life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in rural Virginia in the mid-18th century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Martha Washington? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)