|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
2. Washington and his men spent the Winter of 1779 in which New Jersey town?
3. How many years was Washington gone from his home to lead the Revolutionary army?
4. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
5. Washington proved himself to be a strong leader despite the ___________________ of those surrounding him.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
2. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
3. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
4. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
5. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
6. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
7. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
8. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
9. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
10. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
During the Revolutionary War period, Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times tried the soul of George Washington. What brought him to the depths of despair? What motivated him? What role did he think he had in bringing the American citizens through such desperate times? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)