|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Washington reluctant to support in the early years of his Presidency?
2. Washington struggled all his life with ________________ problems.
3. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
4. Which of the following was NOT strained when Washington was forced to entertain so many visitors after the war?
5. What was a point of contention between Washington and a foreign dignitary who remained his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
2. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
3. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
4. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
5. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
6. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
7. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
8. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
9. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
10. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George Washington was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Washington's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alexander Hamilton. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)