|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1790, the Residence Act was passed, making _____________________ the temporary capital of the country.
2. General William Howe was replaced by whom after word of the French treat with the Americans?
3. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
4. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
5. How old was the person in #105 when he/she died in 1781?
Short Essay Questions
1. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
2. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
3. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
4. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
5. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
6. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
7. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
8. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
9. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
10. What were the circumstances in which Washington was elected president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of Washington's ambitions? Was he consumed with winning and getting ahead? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Thomas Jefferson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)