|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
2. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
3. What part of the country was chosen as the permanent area for the capital?
4. How many attempts did it take Washington to imprison Benedict Arnold?
5. Valley Forge is located in which state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
2. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
3. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
4. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
5. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
6. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
7. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
8. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
9. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
10. What were some of the hardships Washington's men suffered at Valley Forge in the Winter of 1777?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the Revolutionary War period, Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times tried the soul of George Washington. What brought him to the depths of despair? What motivated him? What role did he think he had in bringing the American citizens through such desperate times? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
Which role did Washington feel was his most important during his life? Which role was most gratifying to Washington in his life? Is there something Washington would have liked to do but never had the chance?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)