|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the country was chosen as the permanent area for the capital?
2. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
3. Which person close to Washington died at the end of the Revolutionary War?
4. How old was the person in #105 when he/she died in 1781?
5. Which of the following did Washington's men NOT lack at Valley Forge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
During the Revolutionary War period, Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times tried the soul of George Washington. What brought him to the depths of despair? What motivated him? What role did he think he had in bringing the American citizens through such desperate times? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)