|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington's father had _______________ children with Washington's mother.
2. Who did Washington decide to marry?
3. Eight thousand ____________________ mercenaries joined the British army while Washington tried to hold New York.
4. In 1765, to defray war costs, Parliament enacted the _____________________.
5. Which of the following was NOT an issue that Washington battled with Congress over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
2. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
3. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
4. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
5. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
6. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
7. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
8. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
9. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
10. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Thomas Jefferson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)