|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
2. Washington's father had _______________ children with Washington's mother.
3. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
4. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
5. What did Washington do with a copy of the Declaration of Independence when it arrived when he was in New York with his troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
2. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
3. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
4. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
5. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
6. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
7. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
8. Who were George Washington's parents and how many siblings did he have?
9. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
10. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George Washington was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Washington's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
According to the author, even before Washington was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of unquestionable integrity. Cite some examples in Washington's life that prove this statement. What is Chernow's overall perception of Washington's character?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)