|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
2. Which office did Washington run for and win?
3. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
4. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
5. Who was Washington's eldest half-brother with whom he spent a lot of time after his father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
2. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
3. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
4. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
5. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
6. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
7. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
8. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
9. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get a formal education?
10. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Washington measure up to these people? What was Washington's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
According to the author, even before Washington was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of unquestionable integrity. Cite some examples in Washington's life that prove this statement. What is Chernow's overall perception of Washington's character?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alexander Hamilton. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)