|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
2. Washington was quite social and was often the center of attention with ________________.
3. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
4. How long was Washington able to hold Manhattan after the British began their offensive?
5. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
2. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
3. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
4. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
5. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
6. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
7. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
8. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
9. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
10. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)