|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came along with Washington's marriage to Martha?
2. Washington organized his own group of aides to include Captain Alexander Hamilton and____________________.
3. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
4. George Washington grew up in which state?
5. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression about himself was Washington very careful about preserving?
2. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
3. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
4. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
5. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
6. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
7. Who were George Washington's parents and how many siblings did he have?
8. Why had Washington kept his own political beliefs private during his years as president?
9. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
10. Why did Washington maintain slaves even though he did not believe in it?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)