|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
2. Which of the following did NOT plague Washington after the Battle of Saratoga?
3. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
4. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
5. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
2. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
3. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
4. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
5. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get a formal education?
6. What were the terms that Washington wrote in his will about freeing his slaves?
7. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
8. What difficult issues did Washington face regarding his stepchildren during this period?
9. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
10. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Alexander Hamilton. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)