|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1754, Washington led his troops into which region to fight the French?
2. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
3. Which office did Washington run for and win?
4. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
5. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
2. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
3. What did Washington do to improve his finances when he was struggling with his financial situation?
4. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
5. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
6. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
7. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
8. What were some of the hardships Washington's men suffered at Valley Forge in the Winter of 1777?
9. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
10. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
Essay Topic 1
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of Washington's ambitions? Was he consumed with winning and getting ahead? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
This section contains 1,519 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)