|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get an education?
2. Who did Washington decide to marry?
3. When Washington married the woman in #53, he became a very wealthy man by appearances only because much of the money was set aside for _________________________.
4. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
5. What was the greatest impact on Washington's life regarding his father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
2. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
3. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
4. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
5. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
6. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
7. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
8. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
9. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
10. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain George Washington as a boy and a young man. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Washington measure up to these people? What was Washington's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)