|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fort was Washington forced to watch the British decimate, forcing his troops to surrender?
2. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
3. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
4. In the Fall of 1777, Washington wasted men and ammunition in attempting to take a British stronghold called _____________________.
5. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
2. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
3. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
4. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
5. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
6. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
7. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
8. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
9. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
10. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
George Washington was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Washington's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)