|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which river did Washington and his men cross during the night for a surprise attack on a Hessian garrison in Trenton?
2. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
3. In the Fall on 1755, Washington was made supreme commander of all military forces in _______________.
4. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
5. Who was George Washington's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
2. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
3. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
4. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
5. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
6. What impact did Washington's father's death have on his life?
7. Who were George Washington's parents and how many siblings did he have?
8. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
9. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
10. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Explain George Washington as a boy and a young man. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 3
George Washington was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Washington's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)