|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
2. What did Washington do with a copy of the Declaration of Independence when it arrived when he was in New York with his troops?
3. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
4. What came along with Washington's marriage to Martha?
5. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
2. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
3. Who were George Washington's parents and how many siblings did he have?
4. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
5. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
6. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
7. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
8. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
9. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
10. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain George Washington as a boy and a young man. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Thomas Jefferson. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of Washington's ambitions? Was he consumed with winning and getting ahead? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)