|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month and year was the portrait of George Washington painted?
2. Washington was a distinguished soldier in the _______________________.
3. Washington was quite social and was often the center of attention with ________________.
4. In the Summer of 1777, the British made a move toward __________________, so Washington moved his army quickly into the city.
5. How many miles did Washington's men have to march after crossing the river in #73 to catch the Hessians unaware?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
2. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
3. What impact did Washington's father's death have on his life?
4. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
5. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
6. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
7. What difficult issues did Washington face regarding his stepchildren during this period?
8. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
9. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
10. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the author, even before Washington was a player on the national and international stages, he was known to be a man of unquestionable integrity. Cite some examples in Washington's life that prove this statement. What is Chernow's overall perception of Washington's character?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Washington's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a prominent man in 18th century Virginia? What impact did his father's death have on Washington? What stigmas did Washington live with for his entire life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)