|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
2. On which piece of American currency does George Washington's picture appear?
3. Who did Washington decide to marry?
4. What was the name of Washington's home?
5. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
2. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
3. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
4. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
5. Over what subject did Washington and Adams disagree regarding a new federal army?
6. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
7. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
8. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
9. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
10. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which role did Washington feel was his most important during his life? Which role was most gratifying to Washington in his life? Is there something Washington would have liked to do but never had the chance?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
George Washington was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Washington's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)