|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles did Washington's men have to march after crossing the river in #73 to catch the Hessians unaware?
2. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
3. Which office did Washington run for and win?
4. The people of which states continued to support the British during the Revolutionary War?
5. George and Martha Washington married in January of what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
2. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
3. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
4. Who were George Washington's parents and how many siblings did he have?
5. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
6. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get a formal education?
7. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
8. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
9. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
10. What difficult issues did Washington face regarding his stepchildren during this period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in rural Virginia in the mid-18th century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Martha Washington? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is an important theme in this book. Who were some of the people who had the strongest personalities? What were their personal codes? How did Washington measure up to these people? What was Washington's personal code? Or did he not have one? Explain.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)