|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which army did Washington join in 1754?
2. What was the outcome of the resolutions presented to the Fairfax County committee?
3. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
4. What was the greatest impact on Washington's life regarding his father's death?
5. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
2. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
3. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
4. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
5. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
6. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
7. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
8. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
9. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
10. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of John Adams. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WASHINGTON: A LIFE? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)