|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
2. Washington was born to a family of men who ____________________.
3. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
4. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
5. Washington quickly became aware of the difficulty of _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
2. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
3. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
4. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
5. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
6. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
7. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
8. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
9. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
10. What were the circumstances that made Washington sever his friendship with Thomas Jefferson?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
During the Revolutionary War period, Thomas Paine wrote that "These are the times that try men's souls." Explain how the times tried the soul of George Washington. What brought him to the depths of despair? What motivated him? What role did he think he had in bringing the American citizens through such desperate times? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)