|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
2. In the Fall on 1755, Washington was made supreme commander of all military forces in _______________.
3. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
4. When Washington married the woman in #53, he became a very wealthy man by appearances only because much of the money was set aside for _________________________.
5. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
2. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
3. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
4. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get a formal education?
5. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
6. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
7. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
8. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
9. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
10. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in rural Virginia in the mid-18th century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Martha Washington? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alexander Hamilton. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)