|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
2. How many British ships arrived in the East River while Washington's men were positioned in Harlem?
3. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
4. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
5. Which battle took place the day after the Battle of Trenton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
2. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
3. What did Washington get involved with as a member of the House of Burgesses during this period of time?
4. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
5. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
6. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
7. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
8. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
9. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
10. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain George Washington as a boy and a young man. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George Washington. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)