|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington was a distinguished soldier in the _______________________.
2. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
3. Washington met with ____________________ who presented him with resolutions to be presented to the Fairfax County committee.
4. How many resolutions were presented in #46?
5. On the night of September 14-15, five British ships dropped anchor in ___________________, demolishing American defenses.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
2. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
3. What did Washington get involved with as a member of the House of Burgesses during this period of time?
4. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
5. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
6. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
7. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
8. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
9. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
10. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Washington's stance on slavery and why he was so hesitant to free his own slaves.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Washington's childhood What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Washington, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)