|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the night of September 14-15, five British ships dropped anchor in ___________________, demolishing American defenses.
2. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
3. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
4. How many miles did Washington's men have to march after crossing the river in #73 to catch the Hessians unaware?
5. Washington was quite social and was often the center of attention with ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
2. What difficult issues did Washington face regarding his stepchildren during this period?
3. Which woman did Washington choose to marry?
4. What did Washington get involved with as a member of the House of Burgesses during this period of time?
5. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
6. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
7. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
8. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
9. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
10. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of John Adams. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)