|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country enacted the Townshend Acts which placed duties on more goods sold to American colonists?
2. Washington pursued a career as a/an ___________________ when his mother denied his joining the Royal Navy.
3. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
4. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
5. Washington would spend the rest of his life in the role of ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
2. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
3. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
4. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
5. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
6. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
7. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
8. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
9. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
10. What difficult issues did Washington face regarding his stepchildren during this period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Washington's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a prominent man in 18th century Virginia? What impact did his father's death have on Washington? What stigmas did Washington live with for his entire life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WASHINGTON: A LIFE? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Martha Washington. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)