|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
2. Which general asked Washington to be his aide-de-camp because of Washington's frontier experience?
3. What came along with Washington's marriage to Martha?
4. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
5. Whom did Washington marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
2. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
3. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
4. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
5. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
6. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
7. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
8. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
9. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
10. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the mid-18th century when Washington and his colleagues were coming of age. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
WASHINGTON: A LIFE is a classic biography. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain George Washington as a boy and a young man. What were his ultimate plans for his life? What was his personality? What behaviors were instilled in him that would make him a success in his later life?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)