|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
2. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
3. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
4. What was the fort that Washington and his men used in the campaign against the French in 1754?
5. George Washington grew up in which state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
2. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
3. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
4. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
5. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
6. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
7. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
8. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
9. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
10. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George Washington was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Washington's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Which role did Washington feel was his most important during his life? Which role was most gratifying to Washington in his life? Is there something Washington would have liked to do but never had the chance?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in rural Virginia in the mid-18th century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in Martha Washington? Explain.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)