|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family member of his died while Washington was ill from the tumor?
(a) His half-brother.
(b) His stepson.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His mother.
2. Washington found himself in the middle of a controversy as the president of the _______________________ when it came out that membership included a hereditary clause.
(b) Society of Cincinnati.
(c) Knights of Columbus.
(d) Republican party.
3. How many attempts did it take Washington to imprison Benedict Arnold?
(d) He never did.
4. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
(a) Paul Revere.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Benedict Arnold.
(d) Patrick Henry.
5. In the Spring of 1780, Cornwallis and Clinton took a flotilla to ______________________.
(b) North Carolina.
(c) New York.
(d) South Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. While struggling financially, Washington toured his properties in __________________ to collect rent and evict squatters.
2. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
3. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
4. Why did many townspeople where Washington's army camped refuse to give the soldiers food and clothing?
5. Who was a French ambassador to the United States during the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances in which Washington was elected president?
2. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
3. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
4. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
5. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
6. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
7. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
8. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
9. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
10. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)