|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington learned that Benedict Arnold had been conspiring with the British to capture ____________________.
(a) New York.
(d) West Point.
2. While struggling financially, Washington toured his properties in __________________ to collect rent and evict squatters.
(b) New England.
(c) The Ohio Valley.
3. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
(a) The Fairfax Treaty.
(b) The Westmoreland Treaty.
(c) The Nottingham Treaty.
(d) The Jay Treaty.
4. Washington proved himself to be a strong leader despite the ___________________ of those surrounding him.
(b) Lack of skills.
5. As the war raged on in the South, Washington continued to push for a siege of __________________.
(a) New York.
(b) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of the Treasury?
2. General William Howe was replaced by whom after word of the French treat with the Americans?
3. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
4. Which of the Founding Fathers achieved a pair of treaties with France, boosting morale at Valley Forge?
5. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
2. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
3. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
4. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
5. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
6. What was the condition of Mount Vernon upon Washington's return from war?
7. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
8. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
9. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
10. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)