|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
(a) Patrick Henry.
(b) Benedict Arnold.
(c) Paul Revere.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
2. What was the state of Mount Vernon when Washington returned from war?
(b) Somewhat neglected.
3. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
(a) The Westmoreland Treaty.
(b) The Jay Treaty.
(c) The Fairfax Treaty.
(d) The Nottingham Treaty.
4. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
(a) James Calvert.
(b) Henry Clay.
(c) John Adams.
(d) John Jay.
5. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a point of contention between Washington and a foreign dignitary who remained his friend?
2. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
3. What part of the country was chosen as the permanent area for the capital?
4. How many years did Washington spend as President of the United States?
5. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of State?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
2. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
3. What were some of the hardships Washington's men suffered at Valley Forge in the Winter of 1777?
4. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
5. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
6. What were some things that Washington did that made people think he was trying to establish a monarchy in America?
7. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
8. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
9. Why was Washington so disgruntled with some of the people he and his soldiers were fighting for?
10. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)