|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
(a) His war papers.
(b) His friendships.
(c) His uniforms.
(d) His weapons.
2. What did Washington look forward to doing after the war?
(a) Running for President.
(b) Traveling to Africa.
(c) Becoming a private citizen.
(d) Meeting the King of France.
3. What did Washington do in an attempt to preserve his image for prosperity?
(a) Had people draw caricatures.
(b) Sat for life masks.
(c) Sketched some self portraits.
(d) Sat for several portraits.
4. What was Washington reluctant to support in the early years of his Presidency?
(a) British Import Act.
(b) The Ohio Valley Treaty.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Spanish Embargo Act.
5. Who was a French ambassador to the United States during the French Revolution?
(a) Edmond-Charles Genet.
(b) Charles Phillipe Brun.
(c) Francois Bernard Dupont.
(d) Jacques Laurent David.
Short Answer Questions
1. What placed a huge burden on Washington's precarious finances?
2. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
3. What did Mount Vernon require from Washington upon his return from war?
4. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
5. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of State?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Winter of 1779 similar to the one spent at Valley Forge for Washington and his men?
2. How did Washington manage through his discomfort of having to associate with strangers as President?
3. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
4. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
5. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
6. What treachery among his own men did Washington face?
7. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
8. Which important battle would lead to the surrender of the British Army?
9. What were the circumstances in which Washington was elected president?
10. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)