|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1790, the Residence Act was passed, making _____________________ the temporary capital of the country.
(b) New York.
2. What did Washington look forward to doing after the war?
(a) Becoming a private citizen.
(b) Traveling to Africa.
(c) Meeting the King of France.
(d) Running for President.
3. What did Washington attend before leaving Philadelphia for retirement?
(a) The State of the Union address.
(b) The launch of the U.S.S. Washington.
(c) Adams' inauguration.
(d) The opening of the White House.
4. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
(a) On his back.
(b) On his kidney.
(c) Behind his ear.
(d) On his leg.
5. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
(a) He enjoyed telling his war stories.
(b) He wanted to present a good image for posterity.
(c) He hoped to get lucrative donations.
(d) He was trying to sway voters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington was chronically in debt because _______________________.
2. Why did many townspeople where Washington's army camped refuse to give the soldiers food and clothing?
3. The overwhelming problem Washington had to deal with in the Summer of 1794 was a rebellion in Virginia and Pennsylvania against ____________________.
4. What disease broke out in Washington in 1793?
5. How many years did Washington spend as President of the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Washington do after he took the oath of office as president?
2. When did Washington leave the office of President and return to Mount Vernon as a private citizen?
3. Although they remained friends after the war, what point did Washington and Lafayette disagree on?
4. What did Benedict Arnold do that was a betrayal to the new country?
5. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
6. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
7. What was the Society of the Cincinnati?
8. What image of himself did Washington still harbor which involved the perception of prosperity at Mount Vernon?
9. What personal health and family trauma affected Washington soon after he took office?
10. How did Washington's actions regarding his slaves not belie his true feelings?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)