|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
(a) Twelve Oaks.
(d) Mount Vernon.
2. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
(a) The Boston Tea Party.
(b) The Continental Congress.
(c) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(d) Paul Revere's Ride.
3. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
(b) Decreased by half.
(c) More than doubled.
(d) Was eliminated.
4. George and Martha Washington married in January of what year?
5. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
(a) When his father died.
(b) When his mother died.
(c) When his brother's wife and sister died.
(d) When he turned twenty-one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
2. Which office did Washington run for and win?
3. Washington pursued a career as a/an ___________________ when his mother denied his joining the Royal Navy.
4. How old was George Washington when his father died?
5. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
2. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
3. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
4. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
5. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
6. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
7. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
8. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
9. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
10. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)