|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Washington decide to marry?
(a) Jane Hemings.
(b) Martha Custis.
(c) Elizabeth Lafayette.
(d) Sally Fairfax.
2. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
(a) John Boy.
3. Which office did Washington run for and win?
(a) Governor of Virginia.
(b) Mayor of Cornwall.
(c) A seat in the Frederick County House of Burgesses.
(d) A seat on the Richmond, Virginia, town council.
4. What was the fort that Washington and his men used in the campaign against the French in 1754?
(a) Fort Benning.
(b) Fort Freedom.
(c) Fort Necessity.
(d) Fort Austerity.
5. What was the surname of Martha's children?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what state did Washington march his troops after the losses in New York?
2. Washington was a distinguished soldier in the _______________________.
3. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
4. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
5. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficult issues did Washington face regarding his stepchildren during this period?
2. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
3. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
4. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
5. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
6. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
7. What impact did Washington's father's death have on his life?
8. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
9. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
10. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)