|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
(a) He wanted to learn a trade.
(b) He managed the farm.
(c) He could talk about his father with him.
(d) He wanted to escape his critical mother.
2. Eight thousand ____________________ mercenaries joined the British army while Washington tried to hold New York.
3. Which country enacted the Townshend Acts which placed duties on more goods sold to American colonists?
4. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
5. Which of the following was NOT an issue that Washington battled with Congress over?
(a) The need for more soldiers.
(b) The right to choose his own generals.
(c) The need for more supplies.
(d) The need to change the color of uniforms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington was a distinguished soldier in the _______________________.
2. In 1774, Washington was one of several Virginia delegates to attend the first ________________________.
3. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
4. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
5. On the night of September 14-15, five British ships dropped anchor in ___________________, demolishing American defenses.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
2. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
3. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
4. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
5. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
6. What were the circumstances in which Washington was asked to run for a third term as President?
7. For what reason did Washington have to distance himself from the Society of Cincinnati?
8. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
9. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
10. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)