|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the surname of Martha's children?
2. What was the name of Washington's home?
(a) Mount Vernon.
(c) White House Farm.
(d) Fairfax Glen.
3. Which battle took place the day after the Battle of Trenton?
(a) The Battle of Albany.
(b) The Battle of Richmond.
(c) The Battle of Princeton.
(d) The Battle of Syracuse.
4. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Loss of his inheritance.
(b) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
(c) Purchase of field slaves.
(d) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
5. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
(a) Washington's archived presidential documents.
(b) Washington's newly discovered papers.
(c) Papers of Washington's generals.
(d) Martha Washington's journals.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
2. In 1765, to defray war costs, Parliament enacted the _____________________.
3. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
4. In 1754, Washington led his troops into which region to fight the French?
5. How long was Washington able to hold Manhattan after the British began their offensive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
2. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
3. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
4. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
5. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
6. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
7. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
8. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
9. What was Washington's pattern of wins and defeats in the early stages of the war?
10. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)