|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eight thousand ____________________ mercenaries joined the British army while Washington tried to hold New York.
2. How old was George Washington when his father died?
3. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
(a) Henry Knox.
(b) Philip Lafayette.
(c) George Morgan.
(d) James Brandywine.
4. In the Fall of 1777, Washington wasted men and ammunition in attempting to take a British stronghold called _____________________.
(b) Danbury Creek.
(c) Saratoga Springs.
(d) Chew house.
5. What was the fort that Washington and his men used in the campaign against the French in 1754?
(a) Fort Benning.
(b) Fort Necessity.
(c) Fort Freedom.
(d) Fort Austerity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
2. Whom did Washington marry?
3. Who was the woman Washington held a mildly flirtatious relationship with for many years?
4. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
5. Washington would spend the rest of his life in the role of ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to preserving his war papers, what else did Washington do to preserve his image for future generations?
2. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
3. What were the circumstances in which Washington was elected president?
4. What traditions did Washington create as new President and why were they important to him?
5. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
6. Why did Martha Washington decide to free the slaves a year after her husband's death?
7. Over what subject did Washington and Adams disagree regarding a new federal army?
8. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
9. What was the irony of Washington's financial status at the time he was to be inaugurated?
10. What did General Charles Lee do that put Washington's men into the heat of battle and for which Lee later faced a court martial?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)