|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George and Martha Washington married in January of what year?
2. Who was the woman Washington held a mildly flirtatious relationship with for many years?
(a) Cecily Clintock.
(b) Peggy Granson.
(c) Jemma Maddox.
(d) Sally Fairfax.
3. Washington saw himself as a/an _________________ slaveholder.
4. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
(a) Henry Knox.
(b) Philip Lafayette.
(c) James Brandywine.
(d) George Morgan.
5. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
(a) Mount Vernon.
(d) Twelve Oaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which army did Washington join in 1754?
2. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
3. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
4. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
5. Which of the following was NOT an issue that Washington battled with Congress over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Washington's childhood like and why was he not able to get a formal education?
2. How was Washington's slave population impacted when he married Martha and how did he view himself as a slave owner?
3. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
4. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
5. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
6. How did the lack of a formal education impact Washington's feelings about himself throughout his life?
7. What did Washington get involved with as a member of the House of Burgesses during this period of time?
8. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
9. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
10. Who were George Washington's parents and how many siblings did he have?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)