|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
(a) Washington's newly discovered papers.
(b) Martha Washington's journals.
(c) Papers of Washington's generals.
(d) Washington's archived presidential documents.
2. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
(a) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(b) The Continental Congress.
(c) Paul Revere's Ride.
(d) The Boston Tea Party.
3. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
(a) Moody and elusive.
(b) Joyful and generous.
(c) Gregarious and inclusive.
(d) Withdrawn and shy.
4. George and Martha Washington married in January of what year?
5. Washington was an accomplished __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Washington's eldest half-brother with whom he spent a lot of time after his father's death?
2. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
3. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
4. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
5. Washington would spend the rest of his life in the role of ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get a formal education?
2. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
3. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
4. Which two women were important in Washington's personal life as a young adult?
5. What happened to raise morale among Washington's troops as they struggled to hold New York?
6. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
7. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
8. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
9. What did Washington get involved with as a member of the House of Burgesses during this period of time?
10. Explain why Washington's plan to cross the Delaware River was a successful military maneuver.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)