|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
2. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
(a) He could talk about his father with him.
(b) He managed the farm.
(c) He wanted to escape his critical mother.
(d) He wanted to learn a trade.
3. Which of the following was NOT an issue that Washington battled with Congress over?
(a) The right to choose his own generals.
(b) The need to change the color of uniforms.
(c) The need for more supplies.
(d) The need for more soldiers.
4. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Purchase of field slaves.
(b) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
(c) Loss of his inheritance.
(d) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
5. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
(a) Military man.
(b) Political candidate.
(c) Rigid slave owner.
(d) Wealthy plantation owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Washington's eldest half-brother with whom he spent a lot of time after his father's death?
2. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
3. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
4. On the night of September 14-15, five British ships dropped anchor in ___________________, demolishing American defenses.
5. Throughout his life, Washington would have a fascination with _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
2. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
3. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
4. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get a formal education?
5. Why did some people not support Washington's attempts to defend them and secure independence for them?
6. What caused Washington to ultimately support a boycott of British goods?
7. How did Washington's difficult life with his mother impact his early life?
8. What was Washington's fascination with women throughout his life
9. How did destiny play a part in Washington's decision to join the army instead of the navy?
10. Why was Washington so humble when accepting the role as leader of the Continental Army?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)