|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which piece of American currency does George Washington's picture appear?
(a) The twenty dollar bill.
(b) A silver dollar.
(c) The one dollar bill.
(d) A quarter.
2. Eight thousand ____________________ mercenaries joined the British army while Washington tried to hold New York.
3. Which battle took place the day after the Battle of Trenton?
(a) The Battle of Albany.
(b) The Battle of Richmond.
(c) The Battle of Princeton.
(d) The Battle of Syracuse.
4. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
(a) John Boy.
5. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
(a) Daniel Parke Custis.
(b) John James Cochran.
(c) Nathaniel David Bryce.
(d) Benjamin Joseph Hargrove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which office did Washington run for and win?
2. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
3. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
4. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
5. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Washington find himself deeply in debt because of the reliance on imported British goods?
2. How did George and Martha manage the fact that they had no children together and how would this affect his eventual nomination for President of the new country?
3. What purpose did Washington hope that Mount Vernon would serve regarding the perception people had of him?
4. What challenges did Washington face with Congress and even some of his own generals?
5. What difficult issues did Washington face regarding his stepchildren during this period?
6. What were the circumstances in which Washington inherited Mount Vernon?
7. What financial responsibility did Washington have for his stepchildren for the rest of his life?
8. Why was the Revolutionary War important for Washington?
9. How did Washington become leader of the Continental Army and what were his immediate challenges?
10. What was the mixed blessing of Washington's marriage to Martha regarding finances?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)