|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
(a) Henry Clay.
(b) John Jay.
(c) John Adams.
(d) James Calvert.
2. Washington was chronically in debt because _______________________.
(a) Martha spent too much on new clothes.
(b) He extensively traveled the world.
(c) He was extremely generous to charities.
(d) He lived beyond his means.
3. By what margin did Washington win the presidency of the new country?
4. Why did many townspeople where Washington's army camped refuse to give the soldiers food and clothing?
(a) They could sell to the British and make a profit.
(b) They had none to spare.
(c) They didn't know they were needed.
(d) They were afraid the British would hang them.
5. In what city was the convention in #129 held?
(a) New York City.
6. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
7. Who was the envoy who Washington sent to England to demand the end of their seizing American ships and imprisoning American citizens they thought were British deserters?
(a) Henry Knox.
(b) William Westmoreland.
(c) John Jay.
(d) James Fairfax.
8. How many years did Washington spend as President of the United States?
9. Washington was always conscious of the __________________ he would leave for future generations.
10. What did Washington help plan while at the location in #102?
(a) The Battle of Yorktown.
(b) The Boston Tea Party.
(c) The Declaration of Independence.
(d) The blueprints for the White House.
11. What is a flotilla?
(a) A weapons wagon.
(b) A formation of small warships.
(c) A cannon.
(d) A unit of men.
12. What did Washington attend before leaving Philadelphia for retirement?
(a) Adams' inauguration.
(b) The launch of the U.S.S. Washington.
(c) The State of the Union address.
(d) The opening of the White House.
13. Washington and his men spent the Winter of 1779 in which New Jersey town?
14. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
(a) The Fairfax Treaty.
(b) The Jay Treaty.
(c) The Westmoreland Treaty.
(d) The Nottingham Treaty.
15. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease broke out in Washington in 1793?
2. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
3. How many attempts did it take Washington to imprison Benedict Arnold?
4. Who was a French ambassador to the United States during the French Revolution?
5. What was the name of the convention in #129?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)