|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
(a) His friendships.
(b) His war papers.
(c) His weapons.
(d) His uniforms.
2. A short time after the Battle of Monmouth, the _________________ reinforcements arrived to assist Washington.
3. Washington was chronically in debt because _______________________.
(a) He was extremely generous to charities.
(b) He lived beyond his means.
(c) He extensively traveled the world.
(d) Martha spent too much on new clothes.
4. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
5. What did Washington do in an attempt to preserve his image for prosperity?
(a) Had people draw caricatures.
(b) Sat for several portraits.
(c) Sat for life masks.
(d) Sketched some self portraits.
6. Washington learned that Benedict Arnold had been conspiring with the British to capture ____________________.
(c) New York.
(d) West Point.
7. What was the name of the organization formed to support soldiers and their families after the war?
(a) Society of the Cincinnati.
(b) Society of Patriots.
(c) Sons of Freedom.
(d) Sons of the American Revolution.
8. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
(a) Cocktail party.
(c) Card party.
9. While struggling financially, Washington toured his properties in __________________ to collect rent and evict squatters.
(b) New England.
(d) The Ohio Valley.
10. What did Washington look forward to doing after the war?
(a) Running for President.
(b) Traveling to Africa.
(c) Meeting the King of France.
(d) Becoming a private citizen.
11. Washington had to borrow _________________ to attend his own inauguration as First President of the United States.
(a) A suit.
(b) A carriage.
(d) A sword.
12. What is a flotilla?
(a) A cannon.
(b) A unit of men.
(c) A formation of small warships.
(d) A weapons wagon.
13. In the Spring of 1780, Cornwallis and Clinton took a flotilla to ______________________.
(a) New York.
(b) North Carolina.
(c) South Carolina.
14. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
(a) On his leg.
(b) On his back.
(c) Behind his ear.
(d) On his kidney.
15. Jefferson and Madison argued that Hamilton's Federalists supported ____________________ in America.
(a) Three political parties.
(b) A monarch.
(c) Civil rights.
(d) The death penalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Washington serve as the president of the new country?
2. How many years was Washington gone from his home to lead the Revolutionary army?
3. How old was the person in #105 when he/she died in 1781?
4. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
5. What was the name of the convention in #129?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)