|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person close to Washington died at the end of the Revolutionary War?
2. While struggling financially, Washington toured his properties in __________________ to collect rent and evict squatters.
(a) New England.
(b) The Ohio Valley.
3. In late 1786, Washington learned that he would represent _________________ at a convention.
(c) New York.
(d) South Carolina.
4. What placed a huge burden on Washington's precarious finances?
(a) Traveling the world.
(b) Entertaining visitors who wanted to meet him.
(c) Paying his soldiers.
(d) Buying more property.
5. What was the state of Mount Vernon when Washington returned from war?
(a) Somewhat neglected.
6. Washington found himself in the middle of a controversy as the president of the _______________________ when it came out that membership included a hereditary clause.
(b) Knights of Columbus.
(c) Society of Cincinnati.
(d) Republican party.
7. Valley Forge is located in which state?
(b) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
8. Which of the following did Washington's men NOT lack at Valley Forge?
9. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
(a) On his back.
(b) Behind his ear.
(c) On his leg.
(d) On his kidney.
10. What is a flotilla?
(a) A unit of men.
(b) A formation of small warships.
(c) A cannon.
(d) A weapons wagon.
11. Which battle would lead to the surrender of the British army?
(a) The Battle of Richmond.
(b) The Battle of Saratoga.
(c) The Battle of Yorktown.
(d) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
12. In what city was the convention in #129 held?
(a) New York City.
13. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
(a) Henry Clay.
(b) John Adams.
(c) James Calvert.
(d) John Jay.
14. What was a point of contention between Washington and a foreign dignitary who remained his friend?
(a) Washington continued to own slaves.
(b) Washington did not want any military honors.
(c) Washington would not support the French army.
(d) Washington would not give him an American military distinction.
15. As the war raged on in the South, Washington continued to push for a siege of __________________.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the period following the Revolutionary War, there began a string of rebellions in which state?
2. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
3. How many attempts did it take Washington to imprison Benedict Arnold?
4. Washington proved himself to be a strong leader despite the ___________________ of those surrounding him.
5. Washington and his army spent the Winter of ________________ in Valley Forge.
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)