|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Washington's men NOT lack at Valley Forge?
2. General William Howe was replaced by whom after word of the French treat with the Americans?
(a) General James Lattimore.
(b) General Henry Clinton.
(c) General Henry Fairfax.
(d) General William Burgoyne.
3. Jefferson and Madison argued that Hamilton's Federalists supported ____________________ in America.
(a) Three political parties.
(b) Civil rights.
(c) A monarch.
(d) The death penalty.
4. What placed a huge burden on Washington's precarious finances?
(a) Buying more property.
(b) Paying his soldiers.
(c) Traveling the world.
(d) Entertaining visitors who wanted to meet him.
5. Why did many townspeople where Washington's army camped refuse to give the soldiers food and clothing?
(a) They had none to spare.
(b) They were afraid the British would hang them.
(c) They didn't know they were needed.
(d) They could sell to the British and make a profit.
6. While struggling financially, Washington toured his properties in __________________ to collect rent and evict squatters.
(a) New England.
(c) The Ohio Valley.
7. Which of the Founding Fathers achieved a pair of treaties with France, boosting morale at Valley Forge?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
8. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
9. What role did Washington accept at the convention in #129?
10. What did Washington look forward to doing after the war?
(a) Meeting the King of France.
(b) Traveling to Africa.
(c) Running for President.
(d) Becoming a private citizen.
11. What disease broke out in Washington in 1793?
(c) Yellow Fever.
12. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
(a) The Westmoreland Treaty.
(b) The Nottingham Treaty.
(c) The Fairfax Treaty.
(d) The Jay Treaty.
13. As the war raged on in the South, Washington continued to push for a siege of __________________.
(c) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
14. Alexander Hamilton delivered the Report on Public Credit that included his assertion that the federal government should take on the states' debts ________________________.
(a) Incurred by the war.
(b) To build universities.
(c) Left over from the Stamp Act.
(d) For road construction.
15. Which family member of his died while Washington was ill from the tumor?
(a) His stepson.
(b) His half-brother.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington was always conscious of the __________________ he would leave for future generations.
2. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of State?
3. What did Mount Vernon require from Washington upon his return from war?
4. Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the ______________________.
5. Washington found himself in the middle of a controversy as the president of the _______________________ when it came out that membership included a hereditary clause.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)