|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
(a) He was trying to sway voters.
(b) He hoped to get lucrative donations.
(c) He enjoyed telling his war stories.
(d) He wanted to present a good image for posterity.
2. In the period following the Revolutionary War, there began a string of rebellions in which state?
(b) New York.
3. What was a point of contention between Washington and a foreign dignitary who remained his friend?
(a) Washington would not give him an American military distinction.
(b) Washington did not want any military honors.
(c) Washington would not support the French army.
(d) Washington continued to own slaves.
4. What was the state of Mount Vernon when Washington returned from war?
(c) Somewhat neglected.
5. Washington learned that Benedict Arnold had been conspiring with the British to capture ____________________.
(b) New York.
(c) West Point.
6. What part of the country was chosen as the permanent area for the capital?
(a) The Ohio River region.
(b) Long Island.
(c) The Brandywine Valley.
(d) The Potomac River region.
7. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
(a) James Calvert.
(b) John Jay.
(c) Henry Clay.
(d) John Adams.
8. Which family member of his died while Washington was ill from the tumor?
(a) His half-brother.
(b) His stepson.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His mother.
9. How many attempts did it take Washington to imprison Benedict Arnold?
(c) He never did.
10. Alexander Hamilton delivered the Report on Public Credit that included his assertion that the federal government should take on the states' debts ________________________.
(a) Incurred by the war.
(b) Left over from the Stamp Act.
(c) To build universities.
(d) For road construction.
11. As the war raged on in the South, Washington continued to push for a siege of __________________.
(a) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
12. In 1790, the Residence Act was passed, making _____________________ the temporary capital of the country.
(a) New York.
13. What disease broke out in Washington in 1793?
(c) Yellow Fever.
14. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
(a) Card party.
(b) Cocktail party.
15. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of the Treasury?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Nathanael Greene.
(c) Wallace Fairfax.
(d) Henry Knox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the ______________________.
2. What did Washington attend before leaving Philadelphia for retirement?
3. What did Washington put efforts toward preserving after the war?
4. How many years was Washington gone from his home to lead the Revolutionary army?
5. The overwhelming problem Washington had to deal with in the Summer of 1794 was a rebellion in Virginia and Pennsylvania against ____________________.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)