|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did many townspeople where Washington's army camped refuse to give the soldiers food and clothing?
(a) They could sell to the British and make a profit.
(b) They were afraid the British would hang them.
(c) They had none to spare.
(d) They didn't know they were needed.
2. How many years did Washington spend as President of the United States?
3. Which of the Founding Fathers achieved a pair of treaties with France, boosting morale at Valley Forge?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
4. What is a flotilla?
(a) A cannon.
(b) A weapons wagon.
(c) A unit of men.
(d) A formation of small warships.
5. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
(a) Paul Revere.
(b) Benedict Arnold.
(c) Patrick Henry.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
6. What did Washington attend before leaving Philadelphia for retirement?
(a) The State of the Union address.
(b) The opening of the White House.
(c) The launch of the U.S.S. Washington.
(d) Adams' inauguration.
7. Jefferson and Madison argued that Hamilton's Federalists supported ____________________ in America.
(a) The death penalty.
(b) Three political parties.
(c) A monarch.
(d) Civil rights.
8. Washington felt he needed to live by a certain standard that gave off the impression of _____________________.
(d) Great wealth.
9. What placed a huge burden on Washington's precarious finances?
(a) Entertaining visitors who wanted to meet him.
(b) Paying his soldiers.
(c) Buying more property.
(d) Traveling the world.
10. Where did Washington slip away to while on his way to survey the battles taking place in the South?
(a) Mount Vernon.
(b) Harper's Ferry.
11. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
12. In what city did Washington serve as the president of the new country?
(b) New York.
13. Who was a French ambassador to the United States during the French Revolution?
(a) Charles Phillipe Brun.
(b) Edmond-Charles Genet.
(c) Francois Bernard Dupont.
(d) Jacques Laurent David.
14. What was a point of contention between Washington and a foreign dignitary who remained his friend?
(a) Washington did not want any military honors.
(b) Washington would not support the French army.
(c) Washington would not give him an American military distinction.
(d) Washington continued to own slaves.
15. Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the ______________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
2. What did Washington do in an attempt to preserve his image for prosperity?
3. Washington had to borrow _________________ to attend his own inauguration as First President of the United States.
4. Washington and his army spent the Winter of ________________ in Valley Forge.
5. Washington was always conscious of the __________________ he would leave for future generations.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)