|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valley Forge is located in which state?
(b) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
2. Who was a French ambassador to the United States during the French Revolution?
(a) Jacques Laurent David.
(b) Edmond-Charles Genet.
(c) Charles Phillipe Brun.
(d) Francois Bernard Dupont.
3. In what city did Washington serve as the president of the new country?
(d) New York.
4. What disease broke out in Washington in 1793?
(a) Yellow Fever.
5. What did Washington attend before leaving Philadelphia for retirement?
(a) The State of the Union address.
(b) The opening of the White House.
(c) The launch of the U.S.S. Washington.
(d) Adams' inauguration.
6. Why did many townspeople where Washington's army camped refuse to give the soldiers food and clothing?
(a) They didn't know they were needed.
(b) They had none to spare.
(c) They could sell to the British and make a profit.
(d) They were afraid the British would hang them.
7. Washington felt he needed to live by a certain standard that gave off the impression of _____________________.
(c) Great wealth.
8. What is a flotilla?
(a) A weapons wagon.
(b) A unit of men.
(c) A formation of small warships.
(d) A cannon.
9. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
10. Which of the following was NOT an issue Washington tended to during most of 1782?
(a) Getting pay for soldiers.
(b) Approving war monuments.
(c) Receiving accolades for his war service.
(d) The fate of British prisoners.
11. What was the name of the organization formed to support soldiers and their families after the war?
(a) Society of Patriots.
(b) Sons of Freedom.
(c) Sons of the American Revolution.
(d) Society of the Cincinnati.
12. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
(a) On his back.
(b) On his leg.
(c) Behind his ear.
(d) On his kidney.
13. How many years was Washington gone from his home to lead the Revolutionary army?
14. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
(a) James Calvert.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Henry Clay.
(d) John Jay.
15. Which battle would lead to the surrender of the British army?
(a) The Battle of Richmond.
(b) The Battle of Yorktown.
(c) The Battle of Saratoga.
(d) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. In late 1786, Washington learned that he would represent _________________ at a convention.
2. Where did Washington slip away to while on his way to survey the battles taking place in the South?
3. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
4. What did Mount Vernon require from Washington upon his return from war?
5. In the period following the Revolutionary War, there began a string of rebellions in which state?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)