|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Washington reluctant to support in the early years of his Presidency?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The Ohio Valley Treaty.
(c) British Import Act.
(d) The Spanish Embargo Act.
2. What did Washington do in an attempt to preserve his image for prosperity?
(a) Sketched some self portraits.
(b) Sat for life masks.
(c) Sat for several portraits.
(d) Had people draw caricatures.
3. General William Howe was replaced by whom after word of the French treat with the Americans?
(a) General James Lattimore.
(b) General Henry Fairfax.
(c) General Henry Clinton.
(d) General William Burgoyne.
4. Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the ______________________.
5. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
6. Which battle would lead to the surrender of the British army?
(a) The Battle of Saratoga.
(b) The Battle of Yorktown.
(c) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(d) The Battle of Richmond.
7. In the Spring of 1780, Cornwallis and Clinton took a flotilla to ______________________.
(a) North Carolina.
(b) New York.
(d) South Carolina.
8. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
(b) Card party.
(d) Cocktail party.
9. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
(a) John Adams.
(b) John Jay.
(c) James Calvert.
(d) Henry Clay.
10. Where did Washington slip away to while on his way to survey the battles taking place in the South?
(a) Mount Vernon.
(d) Harper's Ferry.
11. The rebellions in the state in #127 made it clear that the _______________________ needed to be written.
(a) Declaration of Independence.
(b) First Amendment.
(c) Stamp Act provisions.
(d) Articles of the Confederation.
12. How many attempts did it take Washington to imprison Benedict Arnold?
(b) He never did.
13. By what margin did Washington win the presidency of the new country?
14. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
15. What was the name of the organization formed to support soldiers and their families after the war?
(a) Sons of the American Revolution.
(b) Society of Patriots.
(c) Society of the Cincinnati.
(d) Sons of Freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington learned that Benedict Arnold had been conspiring with the British to capture ____________________.
2. What part of the country was chosen as the permanent area for the capital?
3. Jefferson and Madison argued that Hamilton's Federalists supported ____________________ in America.
4. Which of the following was NOT an issue Washington tended to during most of 1782?
5. Alexander Hamilton delivered the Report on Public Credit that included his assertion that the federal government should take on the states' debts ________________________.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)