|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which battle would lead to the surrender of the British army?
(a) The Battle of Yorktown.
(b) The Battle of Richmond.
(c) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(d) The Battle of Saratoga.
2. Washington had to borrow _________________ to attend his own inauguration as First President of the United States.
(a) A carriage.
(c) A sword.
(d) A suit.
3. What was Washington reluctant to support in the early years of his Presidency?
(a) British Import Act.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Spanish Embargo Act.
(d) The Ohio Valley Treaty.
4. Which of the following was NOT strained when Washington was forced to entertain so many visitors after the war?
(c) War stories.
(d) Sense of self.
5. Washington was involved in the design and construction of the ______________________.
(a) Washington monument.
(b) Statue of Liberty.
(c) Captiol building.
(d) Brooklyn Bridge.
6. While struggling financially, Washington toured his properties in __________________ to collect rent and evict squatters.
(a) The Ohio Valley.
(b) New England.
7. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
(b) Card party.
(c) Cocktail party.
8. What did Washington attend before leaving Philadelphia for retirement?
(a) The State of the Union address.
(b) The launch of the U.S.S. Washington.
(c) The opening of the White House.
(d) Adams' inauguration.
9. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
10. What did Mount Vernon require from Washington upon his return from war?
(a) Additional rooms added on.
(b) Extensive renovations.
(c) Just a little maintenance.
(d) Major landscaping.
11. Washington was always conscious of the __________________ he would leave for future generations.
12. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
13. Within a few months of taking office, Washington became ill with a tumor ________________ that had to be excised by a surgeon.
(a) Behind his ear.
(b) On his kidney.
(c) On his back.
(d) On his leg.
14. Alexander Hamilton delivered the Report on Public Credit that included his assertion that the federal government should take on the states' debts ________________________.
(a) For road construction.
(b) Left over from the Stamp Act.
(c) Incurred by the war.
(d) To build universities.
15. What did Washington help plan while at the location in #102?
(a) The Battle of Yorktown.
(b) The blueprints for the White House.
(c) The Declaration of Independence.
(d) The Boston Tea Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the organization formed to support soldiers and their families after the war?
2. Which of the Founding Fathers achieved a pair of treaties with France, boosting morale at Valley Forge?
3. How old was the person in #105 when he/she died in 1781?
4. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of State?
5. Washington and his men spent the Winter of 1779 in which New Jersey town?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)