|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Washington serve as the president of the new country?
(d) New York.
2. Valley Forge is located in which state?
(b) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
3. Who helped Washington write his farewell address which was run in several newspapers in 1796?
4. In the Spring of 1780, Cornwallis and Clinton took a flotilla to ______________________.
(b) North Carolina.
(c) New York.
(d) South Carolina.
5. Washington found himself in the middle of a controversy as the president of the _______________________ when it came out that membership included a hereditary clause.
(a) Society of Cincinnati.
(c) Republican party.
(d) Knights of Columbus.
6. What was the name of the convention in #129?
(a) The Patriot Convention.
(b) The Confederation Convention.
(c) The Revolutionary Convention.
(d) The Constitutional Convention.
7. What was a point of contention between Washington and a foreign dignitary who remained his friend?
(a) Washington would not support the French army.
(b) Washington would not give him an American military distinction.
(c) Washington continued to own slaves.
(d) Washington did not want any military honors.
8. What part of the country was chosen as the permanent area for the capital?
(a) The Brandywine Valley.
(b) Long Island.
(c) The Ohio River region.
(d) The Potomac River region.
9. The rebellions in the state in #127 made it clear that the _______________________ needed to be written.
(a) Articles of the Confederation.
(b) Stamp Act provisions.
(c) Declaration of Independence.
(d) First Amendment.
10. While struggling financially, Washington toured his properties in __________________ to collect rent and evict squatters.
(a) New England.
(c) The Ohio Valley.
11. In the period following the Revolutionary War, there began a string of rebellions in which state?
(b) New York.
12. Washington was chronically in debt because _______________________.
(a) He was extremely generous to charities.
(b) He extensively traveled the world.
(c) He lived beyond his means.
(d) Martha spent too much on new clothes.
13. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
(a) Benedict Arnold.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Paul Revere.
(d) Patrick Henry.
14. What was Washington reluctant to support in the early years of his Presidency?
(a) British Import Act.
(b) The Spanish Embargo Act.
(c) The Ohio Valley Treaty.
(d) The French Revolution.
15. Washington proved himself to be a strong leader despite the ___________________ of those surrounding him.
(b) Lack of skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
2. In late 1786, Washington learned that he would represent _________________ at a convention.
3. General William Howe was replaced by whom after word of the French treat with the Americans?
4. Which of the following was NOT strained when Washington was forced to entertain so many visitors after the war?
5. What role did Washington accept at the convention in #129?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)