|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Washington slip away to while on his way to survey the battles taking place in the South?
(a) Mount Vernon.
(b) Harper's Ferry.
2. In the period following the Revolutionary War, there began a string of rebellions in which state?
(b) New York.
3. Which of the Founding Fathers achieved a pair of treaties with France, boosting morale at Valley Forge?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) John Adams.
4. How many years was Washington gone from his home to lead the Revolutionary army?
5. Washington proved himself to be a strong leader despite the ___________________ of those surrounding him.
(d) Lack of skills.
6. The overwhelming problem Washington had to deal with in the Summer of 1794 was a rebellion in Virginia and Pennsylvania against ____________________.
(a) Women's rights.
(b) The whiskey tax.
(c) The income tax.
(d) Civil rights.
7. In what city was the convention in #129 held?
(d) New York City.
8. Who did Washington appoint as Chief Justice to the Supreme Court?
(a) John Jay.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Henry Clay.
(d) James Calvert.
9. Which foreign dignitary did Washington remain friends with after the war?
10. What part of the country was chosen as the permanent area for the capital?
(a) The Ohio River region.
(b) The Potomac River region.
(c) Long Island.
(d) The Brandywine Valley.
11. What was the name of the treaty John Jay reached with the British that angered the American people?
(a) The Jay Treaty.
(b) The Fairfax Treaty.
(c) The Westmoreland Treaty.
(d) The Nottingham Treaty.
12. What was the name of the organization formed to support soldiers and their families after the war?
(a) Society of the Cincinnati.
(b) Sons of the American Revolution.
(c) Society of Patriots.
(d) Sons of Freedom.
13. By what margin did Washington win the presidency of the new country?
14. Which person close to Washington died at the end of the Revolutionary War?
15. Why did Washington agree to host so many visitors at Mount Vernon after the war?
(a) He hoped to get lucrative donations.
(b) He wanted to present a good image for posterity.
(c) He was trying to sway voters.
(d) He enjoyed telling his war stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
2. Which of the following was NOT strained when Washington was forced to entertain so many visitors after the war?
3. What was the state of Mount Vernon when Washington returned from war?
4. Who did Washington appoint as his Secretary of the Treasury?
5. Washington found himself in the middle of a controversy as the president of the _______________________ when it came out that membership included a hereditary clause.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)