|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did many townspeople where Washington's army camped refuse to give the soldiers food and clothing?
(a) They could sell to the British and make a profit.
(b) They had none to spare.
(c) They were afraid the British would hang them.
(d) They didn't know they were needed.
2. Washington was chronically in debt because _______________________.
(a) He lived beyond his means.
(b) Martha spent too much on new clothes.
(c) He was extremely generous to charities.
(d) He extensively traveled the world.
3. Who was the commander of West Point in the Fall of 1780?
(a) Paul Revere.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Patrick Henry.
(d) Benedict Arnold.
4. Which of the Founding Fathers achieved a pair of treaties with France, boosting morale at Valley Forge?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) George Washington.
(d) John Adams.
5. Washington and his men spent the Winter of 1779 in which New Jersey town?
6. In what city did Washington serve as the president of the new country?
(a) New York.
7. In what city was the convention in #129 held?
(d) New York City.
8. Which of the following was NOT among Washington's strongest supporters at one time, but who now wrote negative essays about him which were published?
9. Washington proved himself to be a strong leader despite the ___________________ of those surrounding him.
(d) Lack of skills.
10. Jefferson and Madison argued that Hamilton's Federalists supported ____________________ in America.
(a) Three political parties.
(b) The death penalty.
(c) Civil rights.
(d) A monarch.
11. Washington and his army spent the Winter of ________________ in Valley Forge.
12. Jefferson and Madison created a party known as the ______________________.
13. How many attempts did it take Washington to imprison Benedict Arnold?
(a) He never did.
14. Washington found himself __________________ by the poor attitude of the very people he and his soldiers were fighting for.
15. Washington learned that Benedict Arnold had been conspiring with the British to capture ____________________.
(c) New York.
(d) West Point.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington found himself in the middle of a controversy as the president of the _______________________ when it came out that membership included a hereditary clause.
2. To deal with his discomfort with strangers, Washington confined social meetings to a weekly ________________ he would hold in his home each Tuesday.
3. A short time after the Battle of Monmouth, the _________________ reinforcements arrived to assist Washington.
4. By what margin did Washington win the presidency of the new country?
5. What role did Washington accept at the convention in #129?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)