|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the night of September 14-15, five British ships dropped anchor in ___________________, demolishing American defenses.
(a) Kip's Bay.
(b) Sheepshead Bay.
(c) Algonquin Bay.
(d) Oyster Bay.
2. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
(a) Decreased by half.
(b) More than doubled.
(d) Was eliminated.
3. Which office did Washington run for and win?
(a) A seat in the Frederick County House of Burgesses.
(b) A seat on the Richmond, Virginia, town council.
(c) Mayor of Cornwall.
(d) Governor of Virginia.
4. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
(b) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
(c) Loss of his inheritance.
(d) Purchase of field slaves.
5. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
(a) Washington's newly discovered papers.
(b) Papers of Washington's generals.
(c) Washington's archived presidential documents.
(d) Martha Washington's journals.
6. How many resolutions were presented in #46?
7. Washington was an accomplished __________________.
8. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
(b) Long Island Sound.
(d) Jamaica Pass.
9. In what month and year was the portrait of George Washington painted?
(a) April, 1799.
(b) December, 1789.
(c) March, 1793.
(d) July ,1776.
10. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
(a) He was so much taller than everyone else.
(b) He had wooden teeth.
(c) The lack of a formal education.
(d) He started to go bald at an early age.
11. How old was George Washington when his father died?
12. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
13. Washington saw himself as a/an _________________ slaveholder.
14. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
(a) James Brandywine.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) George Morgan.
(d) Philip Lafayette.
15. What was the surname of Martha's children?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the fort that Washington and his men used in the campaign against the French in 1754?
2. How many miles did Washington's men have to march after crossing the river in #73 to catch the Hessians unaware?
3. What came along with Washington's marriage to Martha?
4. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
5. In the Fall on 1755, Washington was made supreme commander of all military forces in _______________.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)