|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
(a) Washington's archived presidential documents.
(b) Martha Washington's journals.
(c) Washington's newly discovered papers.
(d) Papers of Washington's generals.
2. Where did the British troops go after Washington's army drove them out of Boston?
(c) New York.
3. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
4. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
(a) He managed the farm.
(b) He wanted to escape his critical mother.
(c) He wanted to learn a trade.
(d) He could talk about his father with him.
5. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
(a) Nathaniel David Bryce.
(b) Daniel Parke Custis.
(c) Benjamin Joseph Hargrove.
(d) John James Cochran.
6. In what month and year was the portrait of George Washington painted?
(a) April, 1799.
(b) December, 1789.
(c) July ,1776.
(d) March, 1793.
7. What was the French stronghold in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Fort Beaulieu.
(b) Fort Lafayette.
(c) Fort Orleans.
(d) Fort Duquesne.
8. Washington met with ____________________ who presented him with resolutions to be presented to the Fairfax County committee.
(a) Colonel George Mason.
(b) Colonel William Jeffries.
(c) Colonel Henry Madison.
(d) Colonel James Todd.
9. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
(b) Jamaica Pass.
(c) Long Island Sound.
10. Washington's seat in the House of Burgesses gained him __________________________.
(a) A good standing in the community.
(b) A substantial amount of land.
(c) A fortune.
(d) Some enemies.
11. Who was Washington's eldest half-brother with whom he spent a lot of time after his father's death?
12. How long was Washington able to hold Manhattan after the British began their offensive?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Four months.
(d) One month.
13. Who was George Washington's mother?
(a) Justine Ellen Fairfax.
(b) Mary Johnson Bell.
(c) Marie Patrice Johnson.
(d) Celine Marie Beaulieu.
14. Which of the following did NOT plague Washington after the Battle of Saratoga?
(a) Insubordination among his generals.
(b) Rumors of replacing him as the leader of the army.
(c) A bout of pneumonia.
(d) Distrust within Congress.
15. In 1754, Washington led his troops into which region to fight the French?
(a) Ohio Country.
(b) Michigan woods.
(c) Georgia wetlands.
(d) Virginia hills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Washington do with a copy of the Declaration of Independence when it arrived when he was in New York with his troops?
2. Washington's father had _______________ children with Washington's mother.
3. Whom did Washington marry?
4. What was the greatest impact on Washington's life regarding his father's death?
5. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)