|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
(c) Mount Vernon.
(d) Twelve Oaks.
2. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
(a) Martha Washington's journals.
(b) Washington's newly discovered papers.
(c) Washington's archived presidential documents.
(d) Papers of Washington's generals.
3. What was the greatest impact on Washington's life regarding his father's death?
(a) He had a bad reputation.
(b) He had no one to look up to.
(c) He had to take care of his mother.
(d) He could not go to boarding school.
4. How long was Washington able to hold Manhattan after the British began their offensive?
(a) Four months.
(b) One month.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three weeks.
5. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
(a) Gregarious and inclusive.
(b) Moody and elusive.
(c) Joyful and generous.
(d) Withdrawn and shy.
6. What was the outcome of the resolutions presented to the Fairfax County committee?
(a) The Virginia Resolves.
(b) The Fairfax Resolves.
(c) The Virginia Resolves.
(d) The Patriot Resolves.
7. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
(a) He wanted to escape his critical mother.
(b) He managed the farm.
(c) He wanted to learn a trade.
(d) He could talk about his father with him.
8. Where did the British troops go after Washington's army drove them out of Boston?
(a) New York.
9. On July 4, 1775, Congress created the _________________________.
(a) Declaration of Independence.
(b) Thirteen states.
(c) Bill of Rights.
(d) Continental Army.
10. Whom did Washington marry?
(a) Alice Spencer Haight.
(b) Martha Dandridge Custis.
(c) Margaret Danbury Weston.
(d) Ellen Cowen Newell.
11. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Purchase of field slaves.
(b) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
(c) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
(d) Loss of his inheritance.
12. How old was George Washington when his father died?
13. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
(a) New York River.
(b) Hudson River.
(c) Schenectady River.
(d) Olentangy River.
14. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
(a) He started to go bald at an early age.
(b) He was so much taller than everyone else.
(c) He had wooden teeth.
(d) The lack of a formal education.
15. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
(a) Cease all imports.
(b) Establish a local government.
(c) Meet with the King of England.
(d) Tax tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
2. What was the French stronghold in the Ohio Valley?
3. Who was the woman Washington held a mildly flirtatious relationship with for many years?
4. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
5. Washington would spend the rest of his life in the role of ___________________________.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)