|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the French stronghold in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Fort Lafayette.
(b) Fort Duquesne.
(c) Fort Orleans.
(d) Fort Beaulieu.
2. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
(a) Gilbert Stuart.
(b) Gamble Stockstill.
(c) Gerard Stillwell.
(d) Giles Simonson.
3. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
(a) Was eliminated.
(c) Decreased by half.
(d) More than doubled.
4. In the Fall of 1777, Washington wasted men and ammunition in attempting to take a British stronghold called _____________________.
(a) Danbury Creek.
(c) Saratoga Springs.
(d) Chew house.
5. In 1754, Washington led his troops into which region to fight the French?
(a) Michigan woods.
(b) Georgia wetlands.
(c) Virginia hills.
(d) Ohio Country.
6. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
(a) Tax tea.
(b) Cease all imports.
(c) Meet with the King of England.
(d) Establish a local government.
7. Which office did Washington run for and win?
(a) Mayor of Cornwall.
(b) A seat in the Frederick County House of Burgesses.
(c) Governor of Virginia.
(d) A seat on the Richmond, Virginia, town council.
8. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
9. How many resolutions were presented in #46?
10. Washington pursued a career as a/an ___________________ when his mother denied his joining the Royal Navy.
(d) Land surveyor.
11. Who was the woman Washington held a mildly flirtatious relationship with for many years?
(a) Sally Fairfax.
(b) Cecily Clintock.
(c) Jemma Maddox.
(d) Peggy Granson.
12. The people of which states continued to support the British during the Revolutionary War?
(a) South Carolina and Virginia.
(b) New York and Virginia.
(c) New York and New Jersey.
(d) New Jersey and North Carolina.
13. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
(a) Schenectady River.
(b) Olentangy River.
(c) Hudson River.
(d) New York River.
14. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
(a) John Boy.
15. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington saw himself as a/an _________________ slaveholder.
2. In what month and year was the portrait of George Washington painted?
3. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
4. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
5. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)