|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what state did Washington march his troops after the losses in New York?
2. Washington quickly became aware of the difficulty of _____________________________.
(a) Editing a newspaper.
(b) Relying on imports from Britain.
(c) Raising stepchildren.
(d) Running a farm.
3. On which piece of American currency does George Washington's picture appear?
(a) The twenty dollar bill.
(b) A silver dollar.
(c) The one dollar bill.
(d) A quarter.
4. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
(c) Saratoga Springs.
5. Which general asked Washington to be his aide-de-camp because of Washington's frontier experience?
(a) General Frederick N. Burgoyne.
(b) Major General Edward Braddock.
(c) Major General Edward R. Pence.
(d) General Richard Burlingame.
6. How many resolutions were presented in #46?
7. In which New Jersey city did Washington and his men spend the winter of 1777?
8. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
(a) Jacky had broad shoulders.
(b) Jacky had a good sense of humor.
(c) Jacky had the opportunity for a formal education.
(d) Jacky had thick, dark hair.
9. In the Fall of 1777, Washington wasted men and ammunition in attempting to take a British stronghold called _____________________.
(b) Chew house.
(c) Danbury Creek.
(d) Saratoga Springs.
10. Who was the woman Washington held a mildly flirtatious relationship with for many years?
(a) Peggy Granson.
(b) Sally Fairfax.
(c) Jemma Maddox.
(d) Cecily Clintock.
11. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
12. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
(b) Jamaica Pass.
(d) Long Island Sound.
13. Washington met with ____________________ who presented him with resolutions to be presented to the Fairfax County committee.
(a) Colonel Henry Madison.
(b) Colonel William Jeffries.
(c) Colonel George Mason.
(d) Colonel James Todd.
14. What does Ron Chernow base this book on George Washington?
(a) Martha Washington's journals.
(b) Washington's archived presidential documents.
(c) Papers of Washington's generals.
(d) Washington's newly discovered papers.
15. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
(a) Gerard Stillwell.
(b) Gamble Stockstill.
(c) Gilbert Stuart.
(d) Giles Simonson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Washington's eldest half-brother with whom he spent a lot of time after his father's death?
2. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
3. On July 4, 1775, Congress created the _________________________.
4. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
5. Where did the British troops go after Washington's army drove them out of Boston?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)