|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which piece of American currency does George Washington's picture appear?
(a) The twenty dollar bill.
(b) A quarter.
(c) A silver dollar.
(d) The one dollar bill.
2. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Loss of his inheritance.
(b) Purchase of field slaves.
(c) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
(d) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
3. Who was Washington's eldest half-brother with whom he spent a lot of time after his father's death?
4. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
5. What came along with Washington's marriage to Martha?
(a) Restrictions of a family.
(b) The stigma of divorce.
(c) Love he had never experienced before.
(d) A substantial estate for her children.
6. Throughout his life, Washington would have a fascination with _______________.
7. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
(a) Gerard Stillwell.
(b) Gamble Stockstill.
(c) Giles Simonson.
(d) Gilbert Stuart.
8. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
(a) Saratoga Springs.
9. What did Washington do with a copy of the Declaration of Independence when it arrived when he was in New York with his troops?
(a) He burned it.
(b) He framed it and hung it in his office.
(c) He sent it back to the writers with some edits.
(d) He had it read to his men.
10. Washington was a distinguished soldier in the _______________________.
(a) Road to Richmond.
(b) Chadwick Campaign.
(c) Battle of Brandywine.
(d) French and Indian War.
11. What was the French stronghold in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Fort Duquesne.
(b) Fort Lafayette.
(c) Fort Orleans.
(d) Fort Beaulieu.
12. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
(c) Long Island Sound.
(d) Jamaica Pass.
13. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
(d) John Boy.
14. Why was Jacky Custis not motivated to get an education?
(a) He was basically a person with no ambition.
(b) He didn't think he needed one to become a farmer.
(c) He knew his stepfather would take care of him.
(d) He knew he would inherit his father's estate one day.
15. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
(a) He was so much taller than everyone else.
(b) He started to go bald at an early age.
(c) The lack of a formal education.
(d) He had wooden teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington was an accomplished __________________.
2. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
3. Which of the following did NOT plague Washington after the Battle of Saratoga?
4. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
5. In the Fall on 1755, Washington was made supreme commander of all military forces in _______________.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)