|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which office did Washington run for and win?
(a) A seat on the Richmond, Virginia, town council.
(b) Mayor of Cornwall.
(c) Governor of Virginia.
(d) A seat in the Frederick County House of Burgesses.
2. When Washington married the woman in #53, he became a very wealthy man by appearances only because much of the money was set aside for _________________________.
(a) The military.
(b) Her children.
(c) The county.
3. Which battle took place the day after the Battle of Trenton?
(a) The Battle of Albany.
(b) The Battle of Syracuse.
(c) The Battle of Princeton.
(d) The Battle of Richmond.
4. How many British ships arrived in the East River while Washington's men were positioned in Harlem?
(a) About a hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) About fifty.
(d) Nearly five hundred.
5. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
(a) Rigid slave owner.
(b) Military man.
(c) Political candidate.
(d) Wealthy plantation owner.
6. What was the outcome of the resolutions presented to the Fairfax County committee?
(a) The Virginia Resolves.
(b) The Virginia Resolves.
(c) The Fairfax Resolves.
(d) The Patriot Resolves.
7. Washington saw himself as a/an _________________ slaveholder.
8. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
(a) He wanted to escape his critical mother.
(b) He could talk about his father with him.
(c) He managed the farm.
(d) He wanted to learn a trade.
9. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
(a) Decreased by half.
(c) Was eliminated.
(d) More than doubled.
10. Whom did Washington marry?
(a) Margaret Danbury Weston.
(b) Alice Spencer Haight.
(c) Ellen Cowen Newell.
(d) Martha Dandridge Custis.
11. In 1774, Washington was one of several Virginia delegates to attend the first ________________________.
(a) House of Burgesses.
(b) Fairfax Consortium.
(c) Continental Congress.
(d) Boston Tea Party.
12. George Washington grew up in which state?
13. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
(a) Daniel Parke Custis.
(b) John James Cochran.
(c) Nathaniel David Bryce.
(d) Benjamin Joseph Hargrove.
14. What was the French stronghold in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Fort Orleans.
(b) Fort Lafayette.
(c) Fort Beaulieu.
(d) Fort Duquesne.
15. What was the fort that Washington and his men used in the campaign against the French in 1754?
(a) Fort Necessity.
(b) Fort Austerity.
(c) Fort Benning.
(d) Fort Freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people of which states continued to support the British during the Revolutionary War?
2. Washington's father had _______________ children with Washington's mother.
3. In what month and year was the portrait of George Washington painted?
4. Which country enacted the Townshend Acts which placed duties on more goods sold to American colonists?
5. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)