|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Washington do with a copy of the Declaration of Independence when it arrived when he was in New York with his troops?
(a) He burned it.
(b) He had it read to his men.
(c) He sent it back to the writers with some edits.
(d) He framed it and hung it in his office.
2. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
3. What was the outcome of the resolutions presented to the Fairfax County committee?
(a) The Virginia Resolves.
(b) The Fairfax Resolves.
(c) The Patriot Resolves.
(d) The Virginia Resolves.
4. Why would Washington feel inadequate around people all his life?
(a) The lack of a formal education.
(b) He had wooden teeth.
(c) He was so much taller than everyone else.
(d) He started to go bald at an early age.
5. In the Fall of 1777, Washington wasted men and ammunition in attempting to take a British stronghold called _____________________.
(a) Chew house.
(b) Danbury Creek.
(c) Saratoga Springs.
6. The people of which states continued to support the British during the Revolutionary War?
(a) New York and Virginia.
(b) New York and New Jersey.
(c) New Jersey and North Carolina.
(d) South Carolina and Virginia.
7. On the night of September 14-15, five British ships dropped anchor in ___________________, demolishing American defenses.
(a) Oyster Bay.
(b) Sheepshead Bay.
(c) Algonquin Bay.
(d) Kip's Bay.
8. In the Fall on 1755, Washington was made supreme commander of all military forces in _______________.
(c) South Carolina.
9. Washington quickly became aware of the difficulty of _____________________________.
(a) Running a farm.
(b) Raising stepchildren.
(c) Relying on imports from Britain.
(d) Editing a newspaper.
10. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
(a) Philip Lafayette.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) George Morgan.
(d) James Brandywine.
11. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
(a) Jacky had broad shoulders.
(b) Jacky had a good sense of humor.
(c) Jacky had thick, dark hair.
(d) Jacky had the opportunity for a formal education.
12. What was the greatest impact on Washington's life regarding his father's death?
(a) He had no one to look up to.
(b) He had a bad reputation.
(c) He could not go to boarding school.
(d) He had to take care of his mother.
13. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
14. Who was Washington's eldest half-brother with whom he spent a lot of time after his father's death?
15. Whom did Washington marry?
(a) Ellen Cowen Newell.
(b) Martha Dandridge Custis.
(c) Margaret Danbury Weston.
(d) Alice Spencer Haight.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1774, Washington was one of several Virginia delegates to attend the first ________________________.
2. In 1765, to defray war costs, Parliament enacted the _____________________.
3. Which river did Washington and his men cross during the night for a surprise attack on a Hessian garrison in Trenton?
4. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
5. Washington was an accomplished __________________.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)