|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington organized his own group of aides to include Captain Alexander Hamilton and____________________.
(a) Captain Henry Stanton.
(b) Lt. Colonel Nathanael Fairfax.
(c) Major Benjamin Greene.
(d) Marquis de Lafayette.
2. On July 4, 1775, Congress created the _________________________.
(a) Declaration of Independence.
(b) Bill of Rights.
(c) Continental Army.
(d) Thirteen states.
3. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
4. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
(a) John Boy.
5. How many British ships arrived in the East River while Washington's men were positioned in Harlem?
(a) About a hundred.
(b) Nearly five hundred.
(c) About fifty.
(d) One thousand.
6. How many miles did Washington's men have to march after crossing the river in #73 to catch the Hessians unaware?
7. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
8. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
(a) More than doubled.
(c) Was eliminated.
(d) Decreased by half.
9. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
10. Which army did Washington join in 1754?
11. Washington met with ____________________ who presented him with resolutions to be presented to the Fairfax County committee.
(a) Colonel George Mason.
(b) Colonel James Todd.
(c) Colonel William Jeffries.
(d) Colonel Henry Madison.
12. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
(a) Olentangy River.
(b) Schenectady River.
(c) New York River.
(d) Hudson River.
13. Washington's seat in the House of Burgesses gained him __________________________.
(a) A good standing in the community.
(b) A fortune.
(c) A substantial amount of land.
(d) Some enemies.
14. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
15. Washington's father had _______________ children with Washington's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Washington marry?
2. Who was George Washington's mother?
3. Washington saw himself as a/an _________________ slaveholder.
4. The people of which states continued to support the British during the Revolutionary War?
5. In the Summer of 1777, the British made a move toward __________________, so Washington moved his army quickly into the city.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)