|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington pursued a career as a/an ___________________ when his mother denied his joining the Royal Navy.
(b) Land surveyor.
2. Washington's seat in the House of Burgesses gained him __________________________.
(a) A good standing in the community.
(b) Some enemies.
(c) A substantial amount of land.
(d) A fortune.
3. In the Fall on 1755, Washington was made supreme commander of all military forces in _______________.
(c) South Carolina.
4. Throughout his life, Washington would have a fascination with _______________.
5. Where did the British troops go after Washington's army drove them out of Boston?
(d) New York.
6. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
7. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
8. In the Fall of 1777, Washington wasted men and ammunition in attempting to take a British stronghold called _____________________.
(a) Saratoga Springs.
(b) Chew house.
(c) Danbury Creek.
9. Which country enacted the Townshend Acts which placed duties on more goods sold to American colonists?
10. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
11. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
(a) Daniel Parke Custis.
(b) Benjamin Joseph Hargrove.
(c) Nathaniel David Bryce.
(d) John James Cochran.
12. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
(b) Purchase of field slaves.
(c) Loss of his inheritance.
(d) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
13. The British soldiers overwhelmed Washington's men on Long Island, taking advantage of a gaping hole in their defenses along ________________________.
(b) Jamaica Pass.
(c) Long Island Sound.
14. Washington was born to a family of men who ____________________.
(a) Were artists.
(b) Worked in law.
(c) Died young.
(d) Became politicians.
15. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
(c) Saratoga Springs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
2. Washington was an accomplished __________________.
3. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
4. What came along with Washington's marriage to Martha?
5. What was the outcome of the resolutions presented to the Fairfax County committee?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)