|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
(b) Twelve Oaks.
(c) Mount Vernon.
2. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
(a) When he turned twenty-one.
(b) When his father died.
(c) When his brother's wife and sister died.
(d) When his mother died.
3. Washington's seat in the House of Burgesses gained him __________________________.
(a) A good standing in the community.
(b) A substantial amount of land.
(c) Some enemies.
(d) A fortune.
4. Which of the following was NOT an issue that Washington battled with Congress over?
(a) The need for more supplies.
(b) The right to choose his own generals.
(c) The need to change the color of uniforms.
(d) The need for more soldiers.
5. How many resolutions were presented in #46?
6. Who was the artist who painted Washington's portrait that appears on American currency?
(a) Gamble Stockstill.
(b) Giles Simonson.
(c) Gerard Stillwell.
(d) Gilbert Stuart.
7. How long was Washington able to hold Manhattan after the British began their offensive?
(a) One month.
(b) Four months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five days.
8. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
(a) Daniel Parke Custis.
(b) Benjamin Joseph Hargrove.
(c) Nathaniel David Bryce.
(d) John James Cochran.
9. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
(a) More than doubled.
(c) Decreased by half.
(d) Was eliminated.
10. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
11. Who did Washington decide to marry?
(a) Sally Fairfax.
(b) Elizabeth Lafayette.
(c) Jane Hemings.
(d) Martha Custis.
12. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
(b) Saratoga Springs.
13. What was the greatest impact on Washington's life regarding his father's death?
(a) He had no one to look up to.
(b) He had to take care of his mother.
(c) He could not go to boarding school.
(d) He had a bad reputation.
14. How many miles did Washington's men have to march after crossing the river in #73 to catch the Hessians unaware?
15. Which battle took place the day after the Battle of Trenton?
(a) The Battle of Princeton.
(b) The Battle of Albany.
(c) The Battle of Syracuse.
(d) The Battle of Richmond.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was George Washington when his father died?
2. What was the French stronghold in the Ohio Valley?
3. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
4. Washington quickly became aware of the difficulty of _____________________________.
5. Which office did Washington run for and win?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)