|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
(a) Military man.
(b) Political candidate.
(c) Wealthy plantation owner.
(d) Rigid slave owner.
2. Washington organized his own group of aides to include Captain Alexander Hamilton and____________________.
(a) Captain Henry Stanton.
(b) Major Benjamin Greene.
(c) Marquis de Lafayette.
(d) Lt. Colonel Nathanael Fairfax.
3. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
4. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
(b) Saratoga Springs.
5. Which river did Washington and his men cross during the night for a surprise attack on a Hessian garrison in Trenton?
(a) The Hudson River.
(b) The Delaware River.
(c) The Trenton River.
(d) The Princeton River.
6. In the Fall of 1777, Washington wasted men and ammunition in attempting to take a British stronghold called _____________________.
(a) Chew house.
(c) Danbury Creek.
(d) Saratoga Springs.
7. When Washington married the woman in #53, he became a very wealthy man by appearances only because much of the money was set aside for _________________________.
(a) The county.
(c) The military.
(d) Her children.
8. In 1774, Washington was one of several Virginia delegates to attend the first ________________________.
(a) Fairfax Consortium.
(b) House of Burgesses.
(c) Continental Congress.
(d) Boston Tea Party.
9. Where did the British troops go after Washington's army drove them out of Boston?
(c) New York.
10. Eight thousand ____________________ mercenaries joined the British army while Washington tried to hold New York.
11. Why was Washington envious of Jacky Custis?
(a) Jacky had broad shoulders.
(b) Jacky had the opportunity for a formal education.
(c) Jacky had thick, dark hair.
(d) Jacky had a good sense of humor.
12. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
(b) Purchase of field slaves.
(c) Loss of his inheritance.
(d) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
13. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
(a) When his brother's wife and sister died.
(b) When his mother died.
(c) When his father died.
(d) When he turned twenty-one.
14. Which fort was Washington forced to watch the British decimate, forcing his troops to surrender?
(a) Fort Perry.
(b) Fort Lee.
(c) Fort Bennington.
(d) Fort Washington.
15. Whom did Washington marry?
(a) Martha Dandridge Custis.
(b) Alice Spencer Haight.
(c) Margaret Danbury Weston.
(d) Ellen Cowen Newell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did NOT plague Washington after the Battle of Saratoga?
2. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
3. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
4. Washington pursued a career as a/an ___________________ when his mother denied his joining the Royal Navy.
5. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)