|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which battle took place the day after the Battle of Trenton?
(a) The Battle of Albany.
(b) The Battle of Syracuse.
(c) The Battle of Richmond.
(d) The Battle of Princeton.
2. Which country enacted the Townshend Acts which placed duties on more goods sold to American colonists?
3. To what state did Washington march his troops after the losses in New York?
4. Who was the first husband of Washington's wife?
(a) Benjamin Joseph Hargrove.
(b) Daniel Parke Custis.
(c) Nathaniel David Bryce.
(d) John James Cochran.
5. On the night of September 14-15, five British ships dropped anchor in ___________________, demolishing American defenses.
(a) Algonquin Bay.
(b) Oyster Bay.
(c) Sheepshead Bay.
(d) Kip's Bay.
6. Who did Washington decide to marry?
(a) Jane Hemings.
(b) Sally Fairfax.
(c) Martha Custis.
(d) Elizabeth Lafayette.
7. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
(a) Henry Knox.
(b) James Brandywine.
(c) Philip Lafayette.
(d) George Morgan.
8. Washington found himself deeply in debt because of his extravagant lifestyle and the ______________________.
(a) Loss of his inheritance.
(b) Taxes levied on the colonists by the British.
(c) Purchase of field slaves.
(d) Sale of part of Mount Vernon.
9. Why did Washington like spending so much time with his eldest half-brother at his farm?
(a) He wanted to learn a trade.
(b) He wanted to escape his critical mother.
(c) He could talk about his father with him.
(d) He managed the farm.
10. George and Martha Washington married in January of what year?
11. How many children did Washington's father have with his first wife?
12. What was the French stronghold in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Fort Lafayette.
(b) Fort Orleans.
(c) Fort Beaulieu.
(d) Fort Duquesne.
13. Washington met with ____________________ who presented him with resolutions to be presented to the Fairfax County committee.
(a) Colonel George Mason.
(b) Colonel William Jeffries.
(c) Colonel Henry Madison.
(d) Colonel James Todd.
14. In the Summer of 1777, the British made a move toward __________________, so Washington moved his army quickly into the city.
15. When Washington married the woman in #53, he became a very wealthy man by appearances only because much of the money was set aside for _________________________.
(a) The military.
(b) The county.
(c) Her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Washington's demeanor during the time his portrait was painted?
2. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
3. How many miles did Washington's men have to march after crossing the river in #73 to catch the Hessians unaware?
4. When Washington married Martha, the slave population at Mount Vernon ____________________.
5. How many children did the woman have when she married Washington?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)