|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington looked to his home as a way of creating for himself the appearance of a_______________________.
(a) Political candidate.
(b) Military man.
(c) Rigid slave owner.
(d) Wealthy plantation owner.
2. Which office did Washington run for and win?
(a) Mayor of Cornwall.
(b) A seat on the Richmond, Virginia, town council.
(c) Governor of Virginia.
(d) A seat in the Frederick County House of Burgesses.
3. Which fort was Washington forced to watch the British decimate, forcing his troops to surrender?
(a) Fort Bennington.
(b) Fort Perry.
(c) Fort Washington.
(d) Fort Lee.
4. What was the fort that Washington and his men used in the campaign against the French in 1754?
(a) Fort Freedom.
(b) Fort Benning.
(c) Fort Necessity.
(d) Fort Austerity.
5. What was the name of Washington's home?
(a) Fairfax Glen.
(b) White House Farm.
(d) Mount Vernon.
6. Two Northern generals who played an important part in Washington's future were Nathanael Greene and _______.
(a) George Morgan.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) James Brandywine.
(d) Philip Lafayette.
7. Washington organized his own group of aides to include Captain Alexander Hamilton and____________________.
(a) Major Benjamin Greene.
(b) Captain Henry Stanton.
(c) Marquis de Lafayette.
(d) Lt. Colonel Nathanael Fairfax.
8. Washington's stepdaughter, Patsy, died from a bout of _________________.
9. What was the outcome of the resolutions presented to the Fairfax County committee?
(a) The Patriot Resolves.
(b) The Virginia Resolves.
(c) The Fairfax Resolves.
(d) The Virginia Resolves.
10. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
(b) Twelve Oaks.
(c) Mount Vernon.
11. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
(a) Meet with the King of England.
(b) Establish a local government.
(c) Cease all imports.
(d) Tax tea.
12. Eight thousand ____________________ mercenaries joined the British army while Washington tried to hold New York.
13. George and Martha Washington married in January of what year?
14. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
(a) Paul Revere's Ride.
(b) The Battle of Bunker Hill.
(c) The Continental Congress.
(d) The Boston Tea Party.
15. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
(b) John Boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
2. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
3. Washington was born to a family of men who ____________________.
4. How many children did Washington and Martha have of their own?
5. In the Summer of 1777, the British made a move toward __________________, so Washington moved his army quickly into the city.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)