|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington was born to a family of men who ____________________.
(a) Died young.
(b) Worked in law.
(c) Became politicians.
(d) Were artists.
2. How many British ships arrived in the East River while Washington's men were positioned in Harlem?
(a) Nearly five hundred.
(b) About a hundred.
(c) About fifty.
(d) One thousand.
3. In 1754, Washington led his troops into which region to fight the French?
(a) Ohio Country.
(b) Michigan woods.
(c) Virginia hills.
(d) Georgia wetlands.
4. Where did the British troops go after Washington's army drove them out of Boston?
(c) New York.
5. On July 4, 1775, Congress created the _________________________.
(a) Thirteen states.
(b) Continental Army.
(c) Declaration of Independence.
(d) Bill of Rights.
6. Washington was a distinguished soldier in the _______________________.
(a) Battle of Brandywine.
(b) Road to Richmond.
(c) French and Indian War.
(d) Chadwick Campaign.
7. What was the name of the farm inherited by Washington's eldest half-brother?
(a) Mount Vernon.
(d) Twelve Oaks.
8. When did Washington inherit Mount Vernon?
(a) When his father died.
(b) When his mother died.
(c) When he turned twenty-one.
(d) When his brother's wife and sister died.
9. Which of the following was NOT an issue that Washington battled with Congress over?
(a) The need for more soldiers.
(b) The right to choose his own generals.
(c) The need to change the color of uniforms.
(d) The need for more supplies.
10. Eight thousand ____________________ mercenaries joined the British army while Washington tried to hold New York.
11. What did Washington do with a copy of the Declaration of Independence when it arrived when he was in New York with his troops?
(a) He burned it.
(b) He sent it back to the writers with some edits.
(c) He had it read to his men.
(d) He framed it and hung it in his office.
12. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
(a) Saratoga Springs.
13. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
14. What came along with Washington's marriage to Martha?
(a) The stigma of divorce.
(b) Love he had never experienced before.
(c) A substantial estate for her children.
(d) Restrictions of a family.
15. In what month and year was the portrait of George Washington painted?
(a) July ,1776.
(b) December, 1789.
(c) April, 1799.
(d) March, 1793.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington organized his own group of aides to include Captain Alexander Hamilton and____________________.
2. When Washington married the woman in #53, he became a very wealthy man by appearances only because much of the money was set aside for _________________________.
3. The people of which states continued to support the British during the Revolutionary War?
4. Which army did Washington join in 1754?
5. Which fort was Washington forced to watch the British decimate, forcing his troops to surrender?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)