|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington met with ____________________ who presented him with resolutions to be presented to the Fairfax County committee.
(a) Colonel George Mason.
(b) Colonel Henry Madison.
(c) Colonel James Todd.
(d) Colonel William Jeffries.
2. In 1754, Washington led his troops into which region to fight the French?
(a) Michigan woods.
(b) Ohio Country.
(c) Virginia hills.
(d) Georgia wetlands.
3. The people of which states continued to support the British during the Revolutionary War?
(a) New Jersey and North Carolina.
(b) South Carolina and Virginia.
(c) New York and New Jersey.
(d) New York and Virginia.
4. Which general asked Washington to be his aide-de-camp because of Washington's frontier experience?
(a) General Frederick N. Burgoyne.
(b) Major General Edward R. Pence.
(c) General Richard Burlingame.
(d) Major General Edward Braddock.
5. Who was George Washington's father?
(a) James Washington.
(b) George Washington Sr.
(c) John Washington.
(d) Augustine Washington.
6. By what nickname was Washington's stepson, John Parke Custis, known?
(a) John Boy.
7. Which of the following did Washington NOT provide for his slaves?
8. After the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses for the second time, Washington and several other men met secretly and agreed to ______________________.
(a) Cease all imports.
(b) Establish a local government.
(c) Tax tea.
(d) Meet with the King of England.
9. Washington lost most of his support in Congress with the loss of which city?
(b) Saratoga Springs.
10. Whom did Washington marry?
(a) Martha Dandridge Custis.
(b) Ellen Cowen Newell.
(c) Alice Spencer Haight.
(d) Margaret Danbury Weston.
11. Who was George Washington's mother?
(a) Mary Johnson Bell.
(b) Justine Ellen Fairfax.
(c) Marie Patrice Johnson.
(d) Celine Marie Beaulieu.
12. How long was Washington able to hold Manhattan after the British began their offensive?
(a) Four months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) Five days.
13. When Washington married the woman in #53, he became a very wealthy man by appearances only because much of the money was set aside for _________________________.
(a) Her children.
(b) The military.
(c) The county.
14. Who was the woman Washington held a mildly flirtatious relationship with for many years?
(a) Sally Fairfax.
(b) Cecily Clintock.
(c) Peggy Granson.
(d) Jemma Maddox.
15. On July 4, 1775, Congress created the _________________________.
(a) Continental Army.
(b) Bill of Rights.
(c) Thirteen states.
(d) Declaration of Independence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another decisive defeat of Washington's men by the British took place on Chatterton's Hill as both armies moved to dominate the ______________________.
2. In which New Jersey city did Washington and his men spend the winter of 1777?
3. Washington quickly became aware of the difficulty of _____________________________.
4. What event occurred which sent shockwaves through the colonies after the royal governor disbanded the House of Burgesses?
5. Washington was an accomplished __________________.
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)