|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willy distract her captives?
2. How does Jordan get into the fort?
3. What does Willy wish on this particular day?
4. Where does Willy decide she should go?
5. What does Captain Ivers ask Willy when he first sees her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it lucky that Willy's uncle Jack is at home?
2. What do Willy and her aunt Betsy discuss concerning New York?
3. How does Willy travel to her aunt and uncle's home?
4. How do the British treat the Americans after the Americans surrender?
5. Where is Fort Griswold, and what is significant about the Fort?
6. Why does Willy wish her father were home. and what does her mother say to that wish?
7. How does Willy escape the American raiding party?
8. How does Granny Hyde offer to help Willy?
9. What noise do Willy and Lucy hear, and what is the cause of the noise?
10. Why does Willy end up staying in the fort during the fighting, and what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery is a legal and established institution during the time of the setting for War Comes to Willy Freeman. Discuss the following:
1. Research and briefly outline the history of slavery in the United States. When did it become established there? Why? How long is slavery legal in the United States? How does slavery end?
2. Research and briefly outline the history of slavery in England. When did it become established there? Why? How long is slavery legal in the England? How does slavery end?
3. Discuss whether you think slaves would be more prone to support the Americans or the British and why.
4. Discuss the ethical/moral aspects of slavery.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the relationship of the United States to England of today with that of the two countries (or almost to be country) then. Do you think forgiveness took time?
2. Many countries who have fought bitterly in the past have excellent relations today. Discuss two such countries and analyze how you think those two countries were able to do so.
3. There are some countries that have never been able to reconcile their differences no matter how much time passes. Discuss two such countries and why you think they are unable to do so.
4. Discuss someone with whom you have had a very difficult time in the past and are now on friendly terms with. What changed? How were you able to reconcile your differences? Are you glad you did?
Essay Topic 3
War Comes to Willy Freeman could be said to be a "bildungsroman" of Willy Freeman. Discuss the following:
1. Define the concepts "bildungsroman" and "coming of age."
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze War Comes to Willy Freeman as a bildungsroman of Willy Freeman. Give specific examples. What does Willy learn? How has she changed? Is the change for the better?
3. Why do you think many novels/stories written for teens are "coming of age" stories? Do you think it is good for teens to read this genre? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)