Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two black men urge Lucy and Willy to do?
2. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
3. Why do Willy and her mother run toward the cow?
4. How does Willy distract her captives?
5. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willy trying to decide in the search for her mother?
2. Where is Fort Griswold, and what is significant about the Fort?
3. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
4. How does Horace suggest Willy get into New York City?
5. Why is it lucky that Willy's uncle Jack is at home?
6. What are some of the choices Willy thinks about concerning what to do next?
7. Describe Willy's entry into the fort.
8. Describe Canvas Town.
9. What does Willy do after leaving the fort?
10. What prompts Willy to ride for the fort?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in War Comes to Willy Freeman.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of War Comes to Willy Freeman. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of War Comes to Willy Freeman. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Willy finally finds her mother only for her mother to die just after Willy sees her. What other examples of irony can you find in War Comes to Willy Freeman? Do you think irony enhances the book? Why or why not.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from War Comes to Willy Freeman. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in War Comes to Willy Freeman and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices include allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the relationship of the United States to England of today with that of the two countries (or almost to be country) then. Do you think forgiveness took time?
2. Many countries who have fought bitterly in the past have excellent relations today. Discuss two such countries and analyze how you think those two countries were able to do so.
3. There are some countries that have never been able to reconcile their differences no matter how much time passes. Discuss two such countries and why you think they are unable to do so.
4. Discuss someone with whom you have had a very difficult time in the past and are now on friendly terms with. What changed? How were you able to reconcile your differences? Are you glad you did?
This section contains 3,439 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)