Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two black men urge Lucy and Willy to do?
2. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
3. Why do Willy and her mother run toward the cow?
4. How does Willy distract her captives?
5. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willy trying to decide in the search for her mother?
2. Where is Fort Griswold, and what is significant about the Fort?
3. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
4. How does Horace suggest Willy get into New York City?
5. Why is it lucky that Willy's uncle Jack is at home?
6. What are some of the choices Willy thinks about concerning what to do next?
7. Describe Willy's entry into the fort.
8. Describe Canvas Town.
9. What does Willy do after leaving the fort?
10. What prompts Willy to ride for the fort?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Do you think War Comes to Willy Freeman ends on a happy note? Why or why not.
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of War Comes to Willy Freeman and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why War Comes to Willy Freeman is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think War Comes to Willy Freeman is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in War Comes to Willy Freeman.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of War Comes to Willy Freeman. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of War Comes to Willy Freeman. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)