|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
(a) Go and care for the horses.
(b) Help the cook clean the pots and pans.
(c) Help Horace unload the wagon.
(d) Go to his office.
2. What does Willy fear about the woman in Canvas Town?
(a) She will turn Willy in to the British.
(b) She will turn Willy in to the New York constable.
(c) She will trick Willy.
(d) She will try to sell Willy back to Captain Ivers.
3. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
(a) Willy's father is still alive.
(b) He bought Willy from Colonel Ledyard.
(c) Willy is free but owes him money for that freedom.
(d) Willy stole from him the last time she was here.
4. What is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are being taken to England.
(b) They are being set free.
(c) They are being brought back to America from England.
(d) They are being dumped into the bay.
5. What does the woman want in exchange for more information about Willy's mother?
(b) Willy's necklace.
(d) A job at the Queen's Head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
2. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
3. What example set by Horace does Willy say she'll do?
4. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
5. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Goodrich question Willy concerning her freedom papers, and what does he urge her to do?
2. Why does Willy decide to stay dressed in britches?
3. How does Horace suggest Willy get into New York City?
4. Why does Willy want to go to Canvas Town and how does she trick Horace in going with her?
5. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay both Willy and Horace, and why does Willy have trouble saving her pay?
6. How do the British treat the American prisoners who are disembarking from the prison ships?
7. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
8. What does Willy learn from a woman to whom she speaks in Canvas Town?
9. How does Willy plan to get her letter delivered to her aunt Betsy?
10. Describe Canvas Town.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)