|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Horace say Willy needs to improve?
(a) Her stamina.
(b) Her accent.
(c) Her riding abilities.
(d) Her ability to lie convincingly.
2. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(b) Her mother died the year before.
(c) Her father's farm is being sold.
(d) Her mother is in Virginia.
3. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Turn her into the New York militia.
(b) Make her a slave.
(c) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
(d) Turn her over to the British.
4. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) She would be safe there.
(b) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
(c) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
(d) Someone saw a group of black women there.
5. Who is Horace?
(a) The soldier posted near the ferry entrance.
(b) The boy who offers Willy a ride.
(c) Willy's cousin.
(d) The ferry conductor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
2. What does Willy scream at Captain Ivers?
3. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
4. Why does Willy reveal that she's a girl to Horace?
5. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willy get a letter written to her aunt Betsy?
2. How does Willy feel about what Mr. Goodrich tells her?
3. Describe the scene in the courthouse when Willy goes up before the judge.
4. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the dock in April?
5. How do the British treat the American prisoners who are disembarking from the prison ships?
6. What does Willy learn from a woman to whom she speaks in Canvas Town?
7. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
8. How does Mr. Fraunces respond to what Willy tells him?
9. Why does Willy decide to stay dressed in britches?
10. What happens that makes Willy hang up a horse blanket in her part of the loft where she sleeps?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)