|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(b) On the wharf.
(c) In a inn that sailors frequent.
(d) At the boarding house where he stays.
2. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
(b) Working in England after being transported there.
(c) Working on board a British ship.
(d) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
3. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
4. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She is a nun.
(b) She is very old.
(c) She is young and pretty.
(d) She has been brutally beaten.
5. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He offers her a job at the tavern.
(b) He says she should start wearing dresses.
(c) He says he does not believe her.
(d) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Betsy realize that Uncle Jack does not?
2. What does Willy realize about Horace as they are talking?
3. What does Horace say when Willy tells him goodbye?
4. Why can't many of the prisoners walk?
5. What are in abundance at Canvas Town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willy plan to get her letter delivered to her aunt Betsy?
2. Why does Willy want to go to Canvas Town and how does she trick Horace in going with her?
3. How does Horace suggest Willy get into New York City?
4. What does Willy's Uncle Jack say when Willy finds him in the barn?
5. What is Willy trying to decide in the search for her mother?
6. What does Mr. Goodrich want when he asks for Willy in the tavern one day?
7. Describe Canvas Town.
8. What happens that makes Horace uncomfortable when he takes Willy to the kitchen of the Queen's Head for a meal?
9. What is happening about peace talks starting in April of 1782?
10. Describe the scene in the courthouse when Willy goes up before the judge.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)