|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
(a) Shakes the bag and eats the sugar that falls off the pastries.
(b) Buys herself something also.
(c) Studies over how the sweets are made.
(d) Asks to buy the tarts that are malformed for a discount.
2. Whom does Willy mention when Mr. Fraunces questions her?
(a) Jack Arabus.
(b) Her father.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) Her mother.
3. Why does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth of her past?
(a) She decides she trusts him.
(b) He forces her to at knifepoint.
(c) She gets too entangled in her lies.
(d) She feels hopeless.
4. In what month is there word that the British have officially lost the war?
5. What is the "Queen's Head"?
(a) The tavern Mr. Fraunces owns.
(b) A promontory on the Hudson River.
(c) A promontory near what is now Ellis Island.
(d) A boarding room for young black females.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the docks?
2. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
3. What would stop Willy from reaching the city?
4. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
5. Why does Willy reveal that she's a girl to Horace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Horace uncomfortable when he takes Willy to the kitchen of the Queen's Head for a meal?
2. How does Mr. Fraunces respond to what Willy tells him?
3. How does Horace suggest Willy get into New York City?
4. How does Willy feel about what Mr. Goodrich tells her?
5. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay both Willy and Horace, and why does Willy have trouble saving her pay?
6. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the dock in April?
7. How do the British treat the American prisoners who are disembarking from the prison ships?
8. Describe Canvas Town.
9. What does Willy's Uncle Jack say when Willy finds him in the barn?
10. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)