|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Make her a slave.
(b) Turn her into the New York militia.
(c) Turn her over to the British.
(d) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
2. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) He lost a court case.
(b) They are free people.
(c) His conscience forces him to do so.
(d) He feels sorry for them.
3. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) She does not look like she is dying.
(b) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
(c) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
(d) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
4. Why does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth of her past?
(a) He forces her to at knifepoint.
(b) She decides she trusts him.
(c) She feels hopeless.
(d) She gets too entangled in her lies.
5. Where do the cooks send Willy for tarts or other sweets?
(a) Mr. Joseph Corre's shop.
(b) Mr. Conrad's shop.
(c) The Sweet Tooth.
(d) Mrs. Joseph Connor's shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Willy say she works?
2. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
3. What does Uncle Jack say when he sees Willy?
4. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
5. What does Aunt Betsy realize that Uncle Jack does not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in the courthouse when Willy goes up before the judge.
2. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
3. What is Willy trying to decide in the search for her mother?
4. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the dock in April?
5. How does Willy plan to get her letter delivered to her aunt Betsy?
6. What does Willy learn from the woman when Willy returns to Canvas Town with some money?
7. What happens that makes Horace uncomfortable when he takes Willy to the kitchen of the Queen's Head for a meal?
8. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
9. What does Willy learn about her mother's last three years?
10. What does Willy's Uncle Jack say when Willy finds him in the barn?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)