|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "Queen's Head"?
(a) A boarding room for young black females.
(b) A promontory on the Hudson River.
(c) The tavern Mr. Fraunces owns.
(d) A promontory near what is now Ellis Island.
2. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) She would be safe there.
(b) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
(c) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
(d) Someone saw a group of black women there.
3. For whom does Horace work?
(a) Captain Ivers.
(b) Willy's uncle Jack.
(c) General Cornwallis.
(d) Sam Fraunces.
4. Mr. Goodrich says he can help Willy with _____________.
(a) Passage partway to Stratford.
(b) Help proving her mother is not a slave.
(c) Legal bills.
(d) Help proving Willy is not a slave.
5. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hide in his pile of wood.
(b) Hide in the pile of furs.
(c) Hide in the straw bales.
(d) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
2. What are in abundance at Canvas Town?
3. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
4. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
5. What does Horace say Willy needs to improve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Fraunces respond to what Willy tells him?
2. What does Willy learn from a woman to whom she speaks in Canvas Town?
3. Describe the scene in the courthouse when Willy goes up before the judge.
4. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
5. Why does Willy want to go to Canvas Town and how does she trick Horace in going with her?
6. What happens that makes Willy hang up a horse blanket in her part of the loft where she sleeps?
7. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the dock in April?
9. How do the British treat the American prisoners who are disembarking from the prison ships?
10. How does Willy plan to get her letter delivered to her aunt Betsy?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)