|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
(a) Captain Ivers might try to claim she is his slave.
(b) She has finally finished mourning and does not want to lose her mother again.
(c) She does not know how to prevent the sale of the farm.
(d) Virginia is such a long distance.
2. Who brings Lucy to Stratton?
(a) Captain Ivers.
(c) Mr. Goodrich.
(d) Dan Arabus.
3. Why does Willy reveal that she's a girl to Horace?
(a) He appears naked in front of her after a swim.
(b) He trys to pressure her to go to the public baths.
(c) He asks.
(d) He figures it out when she wants to swim away from him.
4. When does Willy get off the wagon?
(a) When Horace pulls up to a boarding house and tells her to get out.
(b) Once they are on the ferry.
(c) Once they are in New York.
(d) When they arrive at Horace's destination.
5. What do most people say about the female prisoners on the ships?
(a) They were not brought back from England.
(b) There are none.
(c) They will be the last to be released.
(d) They were left in Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
2. How does Willy get some medicine for Lucy?
3. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
4. What does Willy realize about Horace as they are talking?
5. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Goodrich question Willy concerning her freedom papers, and what does he urge her to do?
2. What does Willy's Uncle Jack say when Willy finds him in the barn?
3. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay both Willy and Horace, and why does Willy have trouble saving her pay?
4. How long has Willy's father been dead, and how is Willy feeling about her life?
5. What does Willy learn from the woman when Willy returns to Canvas Town with some money?
6. How does Willy get a letter written to her aunt Betsy?
7. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
8. How do the British treat the American prisoners who are disembarking from the prison ships?
9. How does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth about herself?
10. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)