|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) Stretching sailcloth.
(b) Stacking piles of wood.
(c) Stacking bales of straw.
(d) They just sleep out in the open.
2. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
(a) She dropped in when getting off a ship.
(b) She is a runaway slave.
(c) She gave it to a blind beggar.
(d) It was stolen.
3. Who brings Lucy to Stratton?
(a) Mr. Goodrich.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) Dan Arabus.
4. What does Willy scream at Captain Ivers?
(a) He is not her owner.
(b) He is responsible for the lives of his slaves.
(c) He is Satan.
(d) He allowed her mother to die.
5. What does Horace say is the key to telling lies?
(a) The liar has to appear lower in the eyes of the listener.
(b) The liar should not look at the listener's eyes.
(c) The liar should look directly into the listener's eyes.
(d) The liar has to believe the lie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
2. Who is Horace?
3. What is the young boy who offers Willy a ride carrying?
4. What does Willy say about her mother?
5. What does the woman want in exchange for more information about Willy's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Horace uncomfortable when he takes Willy to the kitchen of the Queen's Head for a meal?
2. What is Willy trying to decide in the search for her mother?
3. What does Willy learn from the woman when Willy returns to Canvas Town with some money?
4. How does Willy get into an uncomfortable situation with Horace because he thinks she is a boy?
5. What happens that makes Willy hang up a horse blanket in her part of the loft where she sleeps?
6. What tips does Horace give Willy about lying when Willy lies about why she has no money?
7. How do the British treat the American prisoners who are disembarking from the prison ships?
8. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
9. What does Willy have to decide about seeing her mother, and why might it be dangerous?
10. How does Willy plan to get her letter delivered to her aunt Betsy?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)