|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Betsy realize that Uncle Jack does not?
(a) Willy must see her mother.
(b) Willy is willing to risk capture.
(c) Willy has become very mature.
(d) Lucy might live if she sees Willy.
2. For whom does Horace work?
(a) General Cornwallis.
(b) Willy's uncle Jack.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) Sam Fraunces.
3. To whom does Willy know she should write?
(a) Mrs. Ledyard.
(b) Aunt Betsy.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) No one.
4. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) They just sleep out in the open.
(b) Stretching sailcloth.
(c) Stacking bales of straw.
(d) Stacking piles of wood.
5. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
(b) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
(c) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
(d) She does not look like she is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
2. How does Willy want to get into New York?
3. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
4. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
5. What is happening to the prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Horace suggest Willy get into New York City?
2. What does Willy continue to do in Chapter 11?
3. Describe the scene in the courthouse when Willy goes up before the judge.
4. What tips does Horace give Willy about lying when Willy lies about why she has no money?
5. What is Willy trying to decide in the search for her mother?
6. What does Willy learn from the woman when Willy returns to Canvas Town with some money?
7. Why does Willy want to go to Canvas Town and how does she trick Horace in going with her?
8. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the dock in April?
9. How does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth about herself?
10. How does Mr. Goodrich question Willy concerning her freedom papers, and what does he urge her to do?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)