|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
(a) To block out the light from the stables.
(b) She catches Horaces peeking at her while she is dressing.
(c) To help keep the loft warm.
(d) As decoration.
2. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) He lost a court case.
(b) He feels sorry for them.
(c) His conscience forces him to do so.
(d) They are free people.
3. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
(a) Mr. Fraunces.
(b) Two British soldiers.
(c) Two American soldiers.
(d) The cook.
4. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
(b) Hide in the straw bales.
(c) Hide in the pile of furs.
(d) Hide in his pile of wood.
5. How does Willy get some medicine for Lucy?
(a) By begging a doctor.
(b) She is unable to get any medicine.
(c) From another slave who had been ill.
(d) By gathering herbs in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Willy and Horace share since arriving at the tavern?
2. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
3. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
4. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
5. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willy get a letter written to her aunt Betsy?
2. Describe the scene in the courthouse when Willy goes up before the judge.
3. Describe Canvas Town.
4. How does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth about herself?
5. Why does Willy want to go to Canvas Town and how does she trick Horace in going with her?
6. What does Willy learn from the woman when Willy returns to Canvas Town with some money?
7. How long has Willy's father been dead, and how is Willy feeling about her life?
8. How does Willy plan to get her letter delivered to her aunt Betsy?
9. What does Mr. Goodrich want when he asks for Willy in the tavern one day?
10. What is happening about peace talks starting in April of 1782?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)