|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the soldier that grabs Willy laugh?
(a) She is so skinny.
(b) He thinks she is crazy to be searching for her mother.
(c) He does not laugh.
(d) He thinks she is using potatoes to look like a girl.
2. What does Captain Ivers ask Willy when he first sees her?
(a) If she can cook.
(b) If she is a runaway.
(c) If she is interested in joining the army.
(d) If she is with the British forces.
3. How does Jordan get into the fort?
(a) Through a small gate at the rear of the fort.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) Through the main gate.
(d) Over the wall.
4. Where is Freeman the cow kept?
(a) In the pasture that lies fallow.
(b) In what Willy calls a salt marsh.
(c) It wanders around the farm where it wants to go.
(d) In the barn right next to the house.
5. What does Willy promise to Betsy that she will do?
(a) Teach Betsy to read.
(b) Find a way to free Betsy.
(c) Find her mother.
(d) Work hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suddenly frightens Willy as she is about to milk the cow?
2. Who tells Willy she cannot stay with her aunt and uncle?
3. How does Willy distract her captives?
4. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
5. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Willy's entry into the fort.
2. How does Granny Hyde offer to help Willy?
3. Why are Jack and his family no longer slaves?
4. What do Willy and her aunt Betsy discuss concerning New York?
5. How does Willy slip away from the Ivers' household? Where does she go?
6. What noise do Willy and Lucy hear, and what is the cause of the noise?
7. Describe the first encounter between Willy and the Ivers.
8. What is a daily chore Willy must perform, and why does her mother tell her to skip it that day?
9. Who is Granny Hyde, and what does she tell Willy?
10. What does Lucy ask of her husband? How does he respond?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)