|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lucy get the cow?
(a) In payment for Lucy nursing a child back to health.
(b) She buys it with their life's savings.
(c) She saves the calf's life when it is abandoned.
(d) The narrator does not say how she came to have the cow.
2. Who gives Willy a ride at one point on her travel?
(a) A black family headed for New York in a wagon.
(b) No one.
(c) A wounded black man in a wagon.
(d) An old black man hauling potatoes.
3. What is Willy's real name?
4. What word does Willy hear when she gets back to the horse?
5. What is one option Willy thinks about but discards?
(a) Going to the Ledyard home.
(b) Staying and taking care of the farm.
(c) Joining the American army pretending to be a boy.
(d) Traveling south with many other former slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Willy and her mother run toward the cow?
2. What message do the British send to the fort?
3. How does Willy distract her captives?
4. Why is Uncle Jack at home?
5. What do the two men say to Willy and her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the debate Willy has in her head concerning being an American versus a British subject.
2. How do the British treat the American prisoners who are disembarking from the prison ships?
3. What does Willy's father say about seeing the British ships in the bay?
4. What does Willy learn from the woman when Willy returns to Canvas Town with some money?
5. What does Willy do after leaving the fort?
6. What prompts Willy to ride for the fort?
7. How does Willy escape the American raiding party?
8. How does Willy get into an uncomfortable situation with Horace because he thinks she is a boy?
9. How does Willy get a letter written to her aunt Betsy?
10. What does Willy learn from a woman to whom she speaks in Canvas Town?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)