|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the cooks send Willy for tarts or other sweets?
(a) Mr. Joseph Corre's shop.
(b) Mr. Conrad's shop.
(c) Mrs. Joseph Connor's shop.
(d) The Sweet Tooth.
2. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
(a) Go to his office.
(b) Help Horace unload the wagon.
(c) Help the cook clean the pots and pans.
(d) Go and care for the horses.
3. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(b) In a inn that sailors frequent.
(c) On the wharf.
(d) At the boarding house where he stays.
4. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
(b) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
(c) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
(d) She does not look like she is dying.
5. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy is a boy.
(b) Willy is a runaway slave.
(d) Willy really has some money.
6. How does Willy want to get into New York?
(a) Crossing on a bridge.
(b) By ferry.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) Circling around to the north and walking in on foot.
7. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(a) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
(c) Going to church.
(d) Wearing female clothing again.
8. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Make her a slave.
(b) Turn her into the New York militia.
(c) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
(d) Turn her over to the British.
9. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
(a) Virginia is such a long distance.
(b) She has finally finished mourning and does not want to lose her mother again.
(c) Captain Ivers might try to claim she is his slave.
(d) She does not know how to prevent the sale of the farm.
10. In what month is there word that the British have officially lost the war?
11. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
(a) Tell him half truths.
(b) Cry to get his sympathy.
(c) Lie completely.
(d) Refuse to talk.
12. What college do Willy and Mr. Goodrich pass on the way to the courthouse?
13. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(b) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(c) No doctor would attend a black person.
(d) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
14. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
(a) Two American soldiers.
(b) The cook.
(c) Two British soldiers.
(d) Mr. Fraunces.
15. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In the chicken coop.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In the kitchen of his small shack.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Horace work?
2. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
3. Where does Willy think Mr. Fraunces' loyalties might lie?
4. To whom does Willy know she should write?
5. Who is Elizur Goodrich?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)