|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(b) She is afraid of being enslaved.
(c) She has no decent clothes to wear.
(d) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
2. What does Willy notice about the Queen's Head?
(a) It is built of stone.
(b) It is dirty and dark.
(c) It is well kept.
(d) It has multiple chimneys.
3. What is the "Queen's Head"?
(a) The tavern Mr. Fraunces owns.
(b) A boarding room for young black females.
(c) A promontory near what is now Ellis Island.
(d) A promontory on the Hudson River.
4. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
(a) Contact him if she finds herself in trouble.
(b) Take Horace for safety.
(c) Go to her mother immediately.
(d) Stay in New York since her mother will probably be dead before she gets to her.
5. What does Willy do when she feels guilty for spending her money foolishly?
(a) Asks Horace to keep her pay safe for her.
(b) Gives Horace some.
(c) Vows to be better.
(d) Asks Mr. Fraunces to keep her pay safe for her.
6. Why can't many of the prisoners walk?
(a) They are not used to moving.
(b) They are too weak.
(c) They have lost limbs.
(d) Injuries due to frostbite.
7. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
8. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy about the tavern?
(a) He is taking on a new manager.
(b) He is expanding.
(c) He is selling it.
(d) She is welcome to return there any time.
9. Who is Horace?
(a) The ferry conductor.
(b) The boy who offers Willy a ride.
(c) The soldier posted near the ferry entrance.
(d) Willy's cousin.
10. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She has been brutally beaten.
(b) She is a nun.
(c) She is young and pretty.
(d) She is very old.
11. When does Willy get off the wagon?
(a) When they arrive at Horace's destination.
(b) Once they are on the ferry.
(c) When Horace pulls up to a boarding house and tells her to get out.
(d) Once they are in New York.
12. What does Horace say Willy needs to improve?
(a) Her ability to lie convincingly.
(b) Her accent.
(c) Her riding abilities.
(d) Her stamina.
13. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy is a boy.
(b) Willy is a runaway slave.
(c) Willy really has some money.
14. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Make her a slave.
(b) Turn her over to the British.
(c) Turn her into the New York militia.
(d) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
15. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(b) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(c) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(d) No doctor would attend a black person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Horace uncomfortable?
2. When do the British finally leave New York?
3. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
4. What does Horace say when Willy tells him goodbye?
5. What sort of rumors are flying about in Chapter 11?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)