|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(b) He says she should start wearing dresses.
(c) He says he does not believe her.
(d) He offers her a job at the tavern.
2. For whom does Horace work?
(a) Sam Fraunces.
(b) General Cornwallis.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) Willy's uncle Jack.
3. Where is the woman that Willy talked to when she and Horace return to Canvas Town?
(a) In a tent dead.
(b) In a tent delirious with fever.
(c) Selling alcohol she has made.
(d) She has disappeared.
4. Who is Horace?
(a) The boy who offers Willy a ride.
(b) Willy's cousin.
(c) The ferry conductor.
(d) The soldier posted near the ferry entrance.
5. What do Willy and Horace share since arriving at the tavern?
(a) The loft for sleeping.
(b) The duties at the tavern.
(c) A horse.
6. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
(a) It was stolen.
(b) She gave it to a blind beggar.
(c) She dropped in when getting off a ship.
(d) She is a runaway slave.
7. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
(a) Shakes the bag and eats the sugar that falls off the pastries.
(b) Asks to buy the tarts that are malformed for a discount.
(c) Buys herself something also.
(d) Studies over how the sweets are made.
8. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Turn her over to the British.
(b) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
(c) Make her a slave.
(d) Turn her into the New York militia.
9. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her father's farm is being sold.
(b) Her mother died the year before.
(c) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(d) Her mother is in Virginia.
10. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
(a) Two British soldiers.
(b) The cook.
(c) Two American soldiers.
(d) Mr. Fraunces.
11. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
(a) Help Horace unload the wagon.
(b) Go and care for the horses.
(c) Go to his office.
(d) Help the cook clean the pots and pans.
12. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
(b) Working in England after being transported there.
(c) Working on board a British ship.
(d) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
13. When do the British finally leave New York?
(a) Not until the next winter.
(b) The next Fall.
(d) Right after their surrender.
14. Where does Willy think Mr. Fraunces' loyalties might lie?
(a) With the Americans.
(b) With slave owners such as Captain Ivers.
(c) With the British.
(d) She has no idea.
15. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the docks?
(a) To look for her mother.
(b) To buy fish.
(c) To find a British officer who is a friend of Mr. Fraunces.
(d) To draw a picture of the surrender of the British.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
2. What does Horace suggest that Willy say about having no money?
3. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
4. How many years have passed since the battle that kills Willy's father?
5. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)