|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(b) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
(c) She is afraid of being enslaved.
(d) She has no decent clothes to wear.
2. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(b) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(c) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(d) No doctor would attend a black person.
3. Who brings Lucy to Stratton?
(b) Dan Arabus.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) Mr. Goodrich.
4. What does Horace say is the key to telling lies?
(a) The liar should look directly into the listener's eyes.
(b) The liar has to appear lower in the eyes of the listener.
(c) The liar should not look at the listener's eyes.
(d) The liar has to believe the lie.
5. What college do Willy and Mr. Goodrich pass on the way to the courthouse?
6. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He says she should start wearing dresses.
(b) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(c) He says he does not believe her.
(d) He offers her a job at the tavern.
7. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
(a) Two American soldiers.
(b) Mr. Fraunces.
(c) Two British soldiers.
(d) The cook.
8. Why is Horace uncomfortable?
(a) The cook teases him about a girl down the street.
(b) He just realized Willy is a girl.
(c) He is unsure how Mr. Fraunces will react to Willy.
(d) His mother admonishes him about bringing strangers home.
9. What is the "Queen's Head"?
(a) A promontory on the Hudson River.
(b) A promontory near what is now Ellis Island.
(c) A boarding room for young black females.
(d) The tavern Mr. Fraunces owns.
10. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
(b) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
(c) She does not look like she is dying.
(d) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
11. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(a) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
(b) Going to church.
(c) Wearing female clothing again.
12. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In the kitchen of his small shack.
(c) In the chicken coop.
(d) In the barn.
13. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
(a) She has finally finished mourning and does not want to lose her mother again.
(b) Virginia is such a long distance.
(c) Captain Ivers might try to claim she is his slave.
(d) She does not know how to prevent the sale of the farm.
14. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
15. What does Horace insist upon after learning about Willy being a girl?
(a) Willy wearing a dress.
(b) Helping her with the heavy work.
(c) Sleeping in separate areas.
(d) Helping her cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Horace?
2. Why does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth of her past?
3. What is happening to the prisoners?
4. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
5. What are in abundance at Canvas Town?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)