|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(b) Going to church.
(c) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
(d) Wearing female clothing again.
2. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
(a) Tell him half truths.
(b) Cry to get his sympathy.
(c) Lie completely.
(d) Refuse to talk.
3. Why is the judge angry at Captain Ivers?
(a) For whipping Jack.
(b) For striking Willy when her mother is dying.
(c) For making a false claim on Willy.
(d) He is not angry.
4. Where do the cooks send Willy for tarts or other sweets?
(a) Mrs. Joseph Connor's shop.
(b) Mr. Joseph Corre's shop.
(c) Mr. Conrad's shop.
(d) The Sweet Tooth.
5. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
(a) She dropped in when getting off a ship.
(b) It was stolen.
(c) She is a runaway slave.
(d) She gave it to a blind beggar.
6. What do most people say about the female prisoners on the ships?
(a) They will be the last to be released.
(b) There are none.
(c) They were not brought back from England.
(d) They were left in Virginia.
7. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He offers her a job at the tavern.
(b) He says she should start wearing dresses.
(c) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(d) He says he does not believe her.
8. To whom does Willy know she should write?
(a) Captain Ivers.
(b) Aunt Betsy.
(c) Mrs. Ledyard.
(d) No one.
9. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She is very old.
(b) She is young and pretty.
(c) She has been brutally beaten.
(d) She is a nun.
10. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy about the tavern?
(a) He is selling it.
(b) She is welcome to return there any time.
(c) He is taking on a new manager.
(d) He is expanding.
11. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
(a) Mr. Fraunces.
(b) Two American soldiers.
(c) Two British soldiers.
(d) The cook.
12. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
13. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
(a) To the cellar where her mother is.
(b) To a small shack in the woods.
(c) To a small shack on the river.
(d) To the stables.
14. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(b) Her mother died the year before.
(c) Her mother is in Virginia.
(d) Her father's farm is being sold.
15. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) In a inn that sailors frequent.
(b) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(c) At the boarding house where he stays.
(d) On the wharf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
2. For whom does Horace work?
3. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
4. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
5. Why can't many of the prisoners walk?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)