|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
(b) Polishes railings.
2. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) His conscience forces him to do so.
(b) He lost a court case.
(c) He feels sorry for them.
(d) They are free people.
3. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(b) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(c) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(d) No doctor would attend a black person.
4. What would stop Willy from reaching the city?
(a) Circling to the North will take a couple days.
(b) She does not know the area well enough to know the best way.
(c) The bridge is held by the British.
(d) No money for the ferry.
5. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy about the tavern?
(a) He is taking on a new manager.
(b) He is selling it.
(c) She is welcome to return there any time.
(d) He is expanding.
6. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) She would be safe there.
(b) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
(c) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
(d) Someone saw a group of black women there.
7. What does Willy fear about the woman in Canvas Town?
(a) She will turn Willy in to the British.
(b) She will try to sell Willy back to Captain Ivers.
(c) She will turn Willy in to the New York constable.
(d) She will trick Willy.
8. What does Horace insist upon after learning about Willy being a girl?
(a) Helping her cook.
(b) Willy wearing a dress.
(c) Helping her with the heavy work.
(d) Sleeping in separate areas.
9. Why does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth of her past?
(a) She decides she trusts him.
(b) He forces her to at knifepoint.
(c) She feels hopeless.
(d) She gets too entangled in her lies.
10. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Make her a slave.
(b) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
(c) Turn her over to the British.
(d) Turn her into the New York militia.
11. What sort of rumors are flying about in Chapter 11?
(a) King George is coming to America.
(b) The British have won the war.
(c) The war is about to end.
(d) George Washington is dead.
12. Why does Willy reveal that she's a girl to Horace?
(a) He appears naked in front of her after a swim.
(b) He figures it out when she wants to swim away from him.
(c) He trys to pressure her to go to the public baths.
(d) He asks.
13. What does Willy decide to pretend?
(a) Her family lives in the city.
(b) She can return home whenever she wants.
(c) She is a boy.
(d) Her father is still alive.
14. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
(b) She does not look like she is dying.
(c) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
(d) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
15. What is the young boy who offers Willy a ride carrying?
(a) Stacks of furs.
(b) Bales of straw.
(d) Kegs of ale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
2. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
3. What does the woman want in exchange for more information about Willy's mother?
4. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
5. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)