|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the British finally leave New York?
(a) Not until the next winter.
(b) The next Fall.
(c) Right after their surrender.
2. Where do the cooks send Willy for tarts or other sweets?
(a) Mrs. Joseph Connor's shop.
(b) The Sweet Tooth.
(c) Mr. Conrad's shop.
(d) Mr. Joseph Corre's shop.
3. What does Willy do when she feels guilty for spending her money foolishly?
(a) Gives Horace some.
(b) Vows to be better.
(c) Asks Mr. Fraunces to keep her pay safe for her.
(d) Asks Horace to keep her pay safe for her.
4. From where is Mr. Goodrich?
(a) New Hampshire.
5. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
(a) For lying.
(b) For leaving the estate to travel to New York.
(c) For hitting the Captain.
(d) For keeping Lucy in the cellar.
6. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
(a) Studies over how the sweets are made.
(b) Buys herself something also.
(c) Shakes the bag and eats the sugar that falls off the pastries.
(d) Asks to buy the tarts that are malformed for a discount.
7. How does Willy want to get into New York?
(a) She has no idea.
(b) Circling around to the north and walking in on foot.
(c) Crossing on a bridge.
(d) By ferry.
8. What does Willy realize about Horace as they are talking?
(a) He is a slave.
(b) He does not believe her story.
(c) He is half white.
(d) He is an orphan.
9. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy really has some money.
(c) Willy is a boy.
(d) Willy is a runaway slave.
10. Whom does Willy go to see for help?
(a) The Ledyards.
(b) Mr. Goodrich.
(c) No one.
(d) The local constable.
11. Who brings Lucy to Stratton?
(a) Captain Ivers.
(b) Dan Arabus.
(d) Mr. Goodrich.
12. What does Horace say is the key to telling lies?
(a) The liar should look directly into the listener's eyes.
(b) The liar should not look at the listener's eyes.
(c) The liar has to appear lower in the eyes of the listener.
(d) The liar has to believe the lie.
13. What does Willy decide to pretend?
(a) She is a boy.
(b) Her father is still alive.
(c) Her family lives in the city.
(d) She can return home whenever she wants.
14. What is the "Queen's Head"?
(a) The tavern Mr. Fraunces owns.
(b) A promontory near what is now Ellis Island.
(c) A promontory on the Hudson River.
(d) A boarding room for young black females.
15. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
(a) Refuse to talk.
(b) Lie completely.
(c) Cry to get his sympathy.
(d) Tell him half truths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
2. What sort of rumors are flying about in Chapter 11?
3. For whom does Willy say she works?
4. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
5. What does Willy learn from the woman she first encounters in Canvas Town?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)