|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years have passed since the battle that kills Willy's father?
2. What sort of rumors are flying about in Chapter 11?
(a) George Washington is dead.
(b) The British have won the war.
(c) King George is coming to America.
(d) The war is about to end.
3. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(b) On the wharf.
(c) In a inn that sailors frequent.
(d) At the boarding house where he stays.
4. What would stop Willy from reaching the city?
(a) She does not know the area well enough to know the best way.
(b) The bridge is held by the British.
(c) No money for the ferry.
(d) Circling to the North will take a couple days.
5. Where is the woman that Willy talked to when she and Horace return to Canvas Town?
(a) In a tent dead.
(b) Selling alcohol she has made.
(c) In a tent delirious with fever.
(d) She has disappeared.
6. Mr. Goodrich says he can help Willy with _____________.
(a) Passage partway to Stratford.
(b) Help proving her mother is not a slave.
(c) Help proving Willy is not a slave.
(d) Legal bills.
7. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He says he does not believe her.
(b) He offers her a job at the tavern.
(c) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(d) He says she should start wearing dresses.
8. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy about the tavern?
(a) She is welcome to return there any time.
(b) He is taking on a new manager.
(c) He is selling it.
(d) He is expanding.
9. When does Willy get off the wagon?
(a) Once they are in New York.
(b) When Horace pulls up to a boarding house and tells her to get out.
(c) Once they are on the ferry.
(d) When they arrive at Horace's destination.
10. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
(a) For lying.
(b) For leaving the estate to travel to New York.
(c) For hitting the Captain.
(d) For keeping Lucy in the cellar.
11. What college do Willy and Mr. Goodrich pass on the way to the courthouse?
12. What is the "Queen's Head"?
(a) A boarding room for young black females.
(b) A promontory near what is now Ellis Island.
(c) The tavern Mr. Fraunces owns.
(d) A promontory on the Hudson River.
13. What does Willy realize about Horace as they are talking?
(a) He is an orphan.
(b) He is a slave.
(c) He does not believe her story.
(d) He is half white.
14. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
(a) Willy is free but owes him money for that freedom.
(b) Willy stole from him the last time she was here.
(c) He bought Willy from Colonel Ledyard.
(d) Willy's father is still alive.
15. For whom does Willy say she works?
(a) No one.
(b) The British general.
(c) Sam Fraunces.
(d) The American general.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are being used to house prisoners?
2. How does Willy want to get into New York?
3. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
4. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
5. To whom does Willy know she should write?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)