|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
(a) Take Horace for safety.
(b) Stay in New York since her mother will probably be dead before she gets to her.
(c) Go to her mother immediately.
(d) Contact him if she finds herself in trouble.
2. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
3. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
(a) For hitting the Captain.
(b) For lying.
(c) For leaving the estate to travel to New York.
(d) For keeping Lucy in the cellar.
4. Where is the woman that Willy talked to when she and Horace return to Canvas Town?
(a) Selling alcohol she has made.
(b) In a tent dead.
(c) She has disappeared.
(d) In a tent delirious with fever.
5. For whom does Horace work?
(a) Sam Fraunces.
(b) Willy's uncle Jack.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) General Cornwallis.
6. What example set by Horace does Willy say she'll do?
(a) Say her evening prayers.
(b) Be polite to white folk.
(c) Go to church every Sunday.
(d) Save all her money.
7. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) No doctor would attend a black person.
(b) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(c) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(d) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
8. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
(b) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
(c) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
(d) She does not look like she is dying.
9. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) On the wharf.
(b) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(c) At the boarding house where he stays.
(d) In a inn that sailors frequent.
10. What do Willy and Horace share since arriving at the tavern?
(b) The loft for sleeping.
(c) A horse.
(d) The duties at the tavern.
11. Why can't many of the prisoners walk?
(a) They are too weak.
(b) Injuries due to frostbite.
(c) They are not used to moving.
(d) They have lost limbs.
12. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(b) She is afraid of being enslaved.
(c) She has no decent clothes to wear.
(d) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
13. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
(a) She has finally finished mourning and does not want to lose her mother again.
(b) Virginia is such a long distance.
(c) She does not know how to prevent the sale of the farm.
(d) Captain Ivers might try to claim she is his slave.
14. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
(a) Tell him half truths.
(b) Cry to get his sympathy.
(c) Lie completely.
(d) Refuse to talk.
15. What does Willy learn from the woman she first encounters in Canvas Town?
(a) The woman knows Willy's mother.
(b) Willy's mother had been there but was traveling home.
(c) Her mother works in the rich section of New York.
(d) Her mother has married a British soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Horace say Willy needs to improve?
2. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
3. From where is Mr. Goodrich?
4. Why does Willy reveal that she's a girl to Horace?
5. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)