|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(a) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
(c) Going to church.
(d) Wearing female clothing again.
2. When does Willy get off the wagon?
(a) When Horace pulls up to a boarding house and tells her to get out.
(b) Once they are in New York.
(c) Once they are on the ferry.
(d) When they arrive at Horace's destination.
3. In what month is there word that the British have officially lost the war?
4. From where is Mr. Goodrich?
(d) New Hampshire.
5. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
(a) Contact him if she finds herself in trouble.
(b) Go to her mother immediately.
(c) Stay in New York since her mother will probably be dead before she gets to her.
(d) Take Horace for safety.
6. What would stop Willy from reaching the city?
(a) She does not know the area well enough to know the best way.
(b) The bridge is held by the British.
(c) No money for the ferry.
(d) Circling to the North will take a couple days.
7. Why can't many of the prisoners walk?
(a) They are not used to moving.
(b) Injuries due to frostbite.
(c) They are too weak.
(d) They have lost limbs.
8. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
(a) To block out the light from the stables.
(b) As decoration.
(c) To help keep the loft warm.
(d) She catches Horaces peeking at her while she is dressing.
9. What are in abundance at Canvas Town?
(b) Drunks and poor people.
(c) Injured soldiers.
10. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
(a) Be a chimney sweep.
(b) Search for her mother.
(c) Sell flowers on the corner.
(d) Spy on the British.
11. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
12. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(b) Willy really has some money.
(c) Willy is a boy.
(d) Willy is a runaway slave.
13. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the docks?
(a) To draw a picture of the surrender of the British.
(b) To buy fish.
(c) To find a British officer who is a friend of Mr. Fraunces.
(d) To look for her mother.
14. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
(a) Help Horace unload the wagon.
(b) Help the cook clean the pots and pans.
(c) Go to his office.
(d) Go and care for the horses.
15. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(b) Her mother died the year before.
(c) Her mother is in Virginia.
(d) Her father's farm is being sold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
2. What do Willy and Horace share since arriving at the tavern?
3. What does Horace say is the key to telling lies?
4. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
5. What does Uncle Jack say when he sees Willy?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)