|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) They are free people.
(b) He lost a court case.
(c) His conscience forces him to do so.
(d) He feels sorry for them.
2. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
(a) Shakes the bag and eats the sugar that falls off the pastries.
(b) Asks to buy the tarts that are malformed for a discount.
(c) Buys herself something also.
(d) Studies over how the sweets are made.
3. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hide in the pile of furs.
(b) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
(c) Hide in his pile of wood.
(d) Hide in the straw bales.
4. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She has been brutally beaten.
(b) She is very old.
(c) She is a nun.
(d) She is young and pretty.
5. What is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are being brought back to America from England.
(b) They are being taken to England.
(c) They are being dumped into the bay.
(d) They are being set free.
6. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(b) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(c) No doctor would attend a black person.
(d) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
7. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
(a) Refuse to talk.
(b) Tell him half truths.
(c) Cry to get his sympathy.
(d) Lie completely.
8. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
(b) Working on board a British ship.
(c) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
(d) Working in England after being transported there.
9. When do the British finally leave New York?
(a) Not until the next winter.
(c) The next Fall.
(d) Right after their surrender.
10. What does Horace say is the key to telling lies?
(a) The liar has to believe the lie.
(b) The liar should look directly into the listener's eyes.
(c) The liar should not look at the listener's eyes.
(d) The liar has to appear lower in the eyes of the listener.
11. From where is Mr. Goodrich?
(c) New Hampshire.
12. Who is Horace?
(a) The ferry conductor.
(b) Willy's cousin.
(c) The boy who offers Willy a ride.
(d) The soldier posted near the ferry entrance.
13. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
(b) She does not look like she is dying.
(c) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
(d) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
14. What does Willy realize about Horace as they are talking?
(a) He is an orphan.
(b) He is half white.
(c) He is a slave.
(d) He does not believe her story.
15. What does Willy learn from the woman she first encounters in Canvas Town?
(a) The woman knows Willy's mother.
(b) Her mother has married a British soldier.
(c) Her mother works in the rich section of New York.
(d) Willy's mother had been there but was traveling home.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Horace work?
2. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
3. How many years have passed since the battle that kills Willy's father?
4. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
5. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)