|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Working in England after being transported there.
(b) Working on board a British ship.
(c) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
(d) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
2. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the docks?
(a) To find a British officer who is a friend of Mr. Fraunces.
(b) To buy fish.
(c) To look for her mother.
(d) To draw a picture of the surrender of the British.
3. How does Willy want to get into New York?
(a) She has no idea.
(b) Crossing on a bridge.
(c) By ferry.
(d) Circling around to the north and walking in on foot.
4. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) She has no decent clothes to wear.
(b) She is afraid of being enslaved.
(c) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(d) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
5. What is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are being dumped into the bay.
(b) They are being taken to England.
(c) They are being set free.
(d) They are being brought back to America from England.
6. How many years have passed since the battle that kills Willy's father?
7. Whom does Willy go to see for help?
(a) The local constable.
(b) The Ledyards.
(c) Mr. Goodrich.
(d) No one.
8. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
9. What does Horace insist upon after learning about Willy being a girl?
(a) Helping her cook.
(b) Sleeping in separate areas.
(c) Willy wearing a dress.
(d) Helping her with the heavy work.
10. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hide in the straw bales.
(b) Hide in the pile of furs.
(c) Hide in his pile of wood.
(d) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
11. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(b) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(c) No doctor would attend a black person.
(d) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
12. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
(a) She catches Horaces peeking at her while she is dressing.
(b) To help keep the loft warm.
(c) To block out the light from the stables.
(d) As decoration.
13. From where is Mr. Goodrich?
(c) New Hampshire.
14. What does Uncle Jack say when he sees Willy?
(a) She is safe as Captain Ivers is dead.
(b) Mrs. Ledyard verified Willy's freedom.
(c) She is in danger.
(d) Willy's mother has been there for several months.
15. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) At the boarding house where he stays.
(b) On the wharf.
(c) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(d) In a inn that sailors frequent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
2. When do the British finally leave New York?
3. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
4. Who is Horace?
5. What does Horace say when Willy tells him goodbye?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)