|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elizur Goodrich?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A baker.
(d) A lawyer.
2. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy about the tavern?
(a) He is taking on a new manager.
(b) He is expanding.
(c) She is welcome to return there any time.
(d) He is selling it.
3. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the docks?
(a) To find a British officer who is a friend of Mr. Fraunces.
(b) To buy fish.
(c) To draw a picture of the surrender of the British.
(d) To look for her mother.
4. Where does Willy think Mr. Fraunces' loyalties might lie?
(a) With the British.
(b) With slave owners such as Captain Ivers.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) With the Americans.
5. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(b) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(c) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(d) No doctor would attend a black person.
6. In what month is there word that the British have officially lost the war?
7. Why is Horace uncomfortable?
(a) He is unsure how Mr. Fraunces will react to Willy.
(b) The cook teases him about a girl down the street.
(c) His mother admonishes him about bringing strangers home.
(d) He just realized Willy is a girl.
8. What do Willy and Horace share since arriving at the tavern?
(a) A horse.
(b) The loft for sleeping.
(d) The duties at the tavern.
9. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her father's farm is being sold.
(b) Her mother is in Virginia.
(c) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(d) Her mother died the year before.
10. Where is the woman that Willy talked to when she and Horace return to Canvas Town?
(a) Selling alcohol she has made.
(b) She has disappeared.
(c) In a tent delirious with fever.
(d) In a tent dead.
11. Mr. Goodrich says he can help Willy with _____________.
(a) Help proving her mother is not a slave.
(b) Passage partway to Stratford.
(c) Help proving Willy is not a slave.
(d) Legal bills.
12. What does the woman want in exchange for more information about Willy's mother?
(a) Willy's necklace.
(d) A job at the Queen's Head.
13. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy really has some money.
(b) Willy is a runaway slave.
(c) Willy is a boy.
14. Why can't many of the prisoners walk?
(a) They are not used to moving.
(b) They have lost limbs.
(c) Injuries due to frostbite.
(d) They are too weak.
15. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
(a) Two British soldiers.
(b) The cook.
(c) Two American soldiers.
(d) Mr. Fraunces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy decide to pretend?
2. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
3. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
4. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
5. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)