|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) They just sleep out in the open.
(b) Stacking bales of straw.
(c) Stretching sailcloth.
(d) Stacking piles of wood.
2. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) She would be safe there.
(b) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
(c) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
(d) Someone saw a group of black women there.
3. Why is Horace uncomfortable?
(a) He is unsure how Mr. Fraunces will react to Willy.
(b) He just realized Willy is a girl.
(c) His mother admonishes him about bringing strangers home.
(d) The cook teases him about a girl down the street.
4. What does Willy say about her mother?
(a) She would not have recognized her if she had not known that it was her mother.
(b) She does not look like she is dying.
(c) Her mother will live if Willy can care for her.
(d) Willy is proud of her mother for surviving.
5. For whom does Horace work?
(a) General Cornwallis.
(b) Sam Fraunces.
(c) Willy's uncle Jack.
(d) Captain Ivers.
6. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Wearing female clothing again.
(d) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
7. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Turn her into the New York militia.
(b) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
(c) Make her a slave.
(d) Turn her over to the British.
8. Where is the woman that Willy talked to when she and Horace return to Canvas Town?
(a) In a tent delirious with fever.
(b) In a tent dead.
(c) She has disappeared.
(d) Selling alcohol she has made.
9. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
(a) Be a chimney sweep.
(b) Spy on the British.
(c) Search for her mother.
(d) Sell flowers on the corner.
10. What does Horace say when Willy tells him goodbye?
(a) He wants her to marry him.
(b) He wishes she were a boy.
(c) He wants to go with her.
(d) He is glad she is a girl.
11. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
12. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She is a nun.
(b) She has been brutally beaten.
(c) She is young and pretty.
(d) She is very old.
13. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In the kitchen of his small shack.
(c) In the chicken coop.
(d) In the woods.
14. When do the British finally leave New York?
(a) Not until the next winter.
(b) Right after their surrender.
(d) The next Fall.
15. How many years have passed since the battle that kills Willy's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
2. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
3. What do Willy and Horace share since arriving at the tavern?
4. What is the young boy who offers Willy a ride carrying?
5. What college do Willy and Mr. Goodrich pass on the way to the courthouse?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)