|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years have passed since the battle that kills Willy's father?
2. What does Uncle Jack say when he sees Willy?
(a) She is safe as Captain Ivers is dead.
(b) Mrs. Ledyard verified Willy's freedom.
(c) Willy's mother has been there for several months.
(d) She is in danger.
3. Where do the cooks send Willy for tarts or other sweets?
(a) Mr. Conrad's shop.
(b) Mrs. Joseph Connor's shop.
(c) Mr. Joseph Corre's shop.
(d) The Sweet Tooth.
4. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
(a) Willy stole from him the last time she was here.
(b) Willy is free but owes him money for that freedom.
(c) He bought Willy from Colonel Ledyard.
(d) Willy's father is still alive.
5. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) Stretching sailcloth.
(b) Stacking bales of straw.
(c) They just sleep out in the open.
(d) Stacking piles of wood.
6. What would stop Willy from reaching the city?
(a) No money for the ferry.
(b) The bridge is held by the British.
(c) Circling to the North will take a couple days.
(d) She does not know the area well enough to know the best way.
7. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
(a) She suggests he is too scared to go with her.
(b) She pays him her weekly salary.
(c) She begs him while crying.
(d) Mr. Fraunces tells him to go with Willy.
8. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) In a inn that sailors frequent.
(b) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(c) At the boarding house where he stays.
(d) On the wharf.
9. Who brings Lucy to Stratton?
(a) Mr. Goodrich.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) Dan Arabus.
10. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Make her a slave.
(b) Turn her over to the British.
(c) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
(d) Turn her into the New York militia.
11. What do most people say about the female prisoners on the ships?
(a) They were not brought back from England.
(b) They were left in Virginia.
(c) They will be the last to be released.
(d) There are none.
12. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hide in the straw bales.
(b) Hide in his pile of wood.
(c) Hide in the pile of furs.
(d) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
13. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
(a) Stay in New York since her mother will probably be dead before she gets to her.
(b) Go to her mother immediately.
(c) Contact him if she finds herself in trouble.
(d) Take Horace for safety.
14. What does Willy notice about the Queen's Head?
(a) It is dirty and dark.
(b) It is built of stone.
(c) It has multiple chimneys.
(d) It is well kept.
15. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy is a runaway slave.
(b) Willy really has some money.
(d) Willy is a boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
2. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
3. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
4. Where does Willy think Mr. Fraunces' loyalties might lie?
5. What college do Willy and Mr. Goodrich pass on the way to the courthouse?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)