|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Goodrich says he can help Willy with _____________.
(a) Passage partway to Stratford.
(b) Help proving her mother is not a slave.
(c) Legal bills.
(d) Help proving Willy is not a slave.
2. What does the woman want in exchange for more information about Willy's mother?
(a) A job at the Queen's Head.
(d) Willy's necklace.
3. Whom does Willy go to see for help?
(a) The local constable.
(b) Mr. Goodrich.
(c) No one.
(d) The Ledyards.
4. What do most people say about the female prisoners on the ships?
(a) They were not brought back from England.
(b) There are none.
(c) They will be the last to be released.
(d) They were left in Virginia.
5. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He says she should start wearing dresses.
(b) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(c) He offers her a job at the tavern.
(d) He says he does not believe her.
6. What is the young boy who offers Willy a ride carrying?
(a) Stacks of furs.
(b) Kegs of ale.
(c) Bales of straw.
7. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(b) Wearing female clothing again.
(c) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
(d) Going to church.
8. What does Aunt Betsy realize that Uncle Jack does not?
(a) Lucy might live if she sees Willy.
(b) Willy has become very mature.
(c) Willy must see her mother.
(d) Willy is willing to risk capture.
9. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
(b) Working on board a British ship.
(c) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
(d) Working in England after being transported there.
10. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(b) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
(c) She is afraid of being enslaved.
(d) She has no decent clothes to wear.
11. Why is Horace uncomfortable?
(a) He just realized Willy is a girl.
(b) His mother admonishes him about bringing strangers home.
(c) The cook teases him about a girl down the street.
(d) He is unsure how Mr. Fraunces will react to Willy.
12. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) Stacking piles of wood.
(b) Stretching sailcloth.
(c) Stacking bales of straw.
(d) They just sleep out in the open.
13. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) They are free people.
(b) He feels sorry for them.
(c) His conscience forces him to do so.
(d) He lost a court case.
14. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her mother is in Virginia.
(b) Her mother died the year before.
(c) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(d) Her father's farm is being sold.
15. Who is Horace?
(a) The ferry conductor.
(b) The boy who offers Willy a ride.
(c) The soldier posted near the ferry entrance.
(d) Willy's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
2. For whom does Willy say she works?
3. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
4. What would stop Willy from reaching the city?
5. What does Willy say about her mother?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)