|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) Stacking piles of wood.
(b) Stacking bales of straw.
(c) Stretching sailcloth.
(d) They just sleep out in the open.
2. What does Horace say Willy needs to improve?
(a) Her riding abilities.
(b) Her accent.
(c) Her stamina.
(d) Her ability to lie convincingly.
3. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
(a) To the stables.
(b) To a small shack in the woods.
(c) To a small shack on the river.
(d) To the cellar where her mother is.
4. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) His conscience forces him to do so.
(b) He feels sorry for them.
(c) He lost a court case.
(d) They are free people.
5. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In the kitchen of his small shack.
(c) In the chicken coop.
(d) In the barn.
6. What college do Willy and Mr. Goodrich pass on the way to the courthouse?
7. Where is the woman that Willy talked to when she and Horace return to Canvas Town?
(a) In a tent dead.
(b) She has disappeared.
(c) In a tent delirious with fever.
(d) Selling alcohol she has made.
8. What does Willy notice about the Queen's Head?
(a) It is well kept.
(b) It has multiple chimneys.
(c) It is dirty and dark.
(d) It is built of stone.
9. Who is Elizur Goodrich?
(a) A baker.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A lawyer.
10. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hide in the pile of furs.
(b) Hide in his pile of wood.
(c) Hide in the straw bales.
(d) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
11. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
(d) Polishes railings.
12. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her father's farm is being sold.
(b) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(c) Her mother is in Virginia.
(d) Her mother died the year before.
13. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
(b) She would be safe there.
(c) Someone saw a group of black women there.
(d) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
14. For whom does Horace work?
(a) Captain Ivers.
(b) General Cornwallis.
(c) Willy's uncle Jack.
(d) Sam Fraunces.
15. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
(a) Captain Ivers might try to claim she is his slave.
(b) Virginia is such a long distance.
(c) She does not know how to prevent the sale of the farm.
(d) She has finally finished mourning and does not want to lose her mother again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
2. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
3. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
4. Where does Willy think Mr. Fraunces' loyalties might lie?
5. What are in abundance at Canvas Town?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)