|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth of her past?
(a) He forces her to at knifepoint.
(b) She decides she trusts him.
(c) She gets too entangled in her lies.
(d) She feels hopeless.
2. What does Horace suggest that Willy say about having no money?
(a) Her mother demanded it for food for her brothers.
(b) She gave it all to her father who beat it out of her.
(c) She got drunk, fell asleep, and was robbed.
(d) She was sick and had to pay for medicine.
3. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
(a) She catches Horaces peeking at her while she is dressing.
(b) To block out the light from the stables.
(c) To help keep the loft warm.
(d) As decoration.
4. When does Willy get off the wagon?
(a) Once they are in New York.
(b) When Horace pulls up to a boarding house and tells her to get out.
(c) Once they are on the ferry.
(d) When they arrive at Horace's destination.
5. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) She has no decent clothes to wear.
(b) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
(c) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(d) She is afraid of being enslaved.
6. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
(a) Sell flowers on the corner.
(b) Spy on the British.
(c) Search for her mother.
(d) Be a chimney sweep.
7. For whom does Horace work?
(a) General Cornwallis.
(b) Captain Ivers.
(c) Sam Fraunces.
(d) Willy's uncle Jack.
8. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) On the wharf.
(b) At the boarding house where he stays.
(c) In a inn that sailors frequent.
(d) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
9. Why is Jack in trouble with Captain Ivers?
(a) For hitting the Captain.
(b) For keeping Lucy in the cellar.
(c) For lying.
(d) For leaving the estate to travel to New York.
10. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
(a) In the kitchen of his small shack.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the chicken coop.
(d) In the woods.
11. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy is a runaway slave.
(c) Willy really has some money.
(d) Willy is a boy.
12. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
(b) Polishes railings.
13. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) They just sleep out in the open.
(b) Stacking bales of straw.
(c) Stretching sailcloth.
(d) Stacking piles of wood.
14. What does Aunt Betsy realize that Uncle Jack does not?
(a) Willy has become very mature.
(b) Willy must see her mother.
(c) Lucy might live if she sees Willy.
(d) Willy is willing to risk capture.
15. What does Willy fear about the woman in Canvas Town?
(a) She will turn Willy in to the New York constable.
(b) She will try to sell Willy back to Captain Ivers.
(c) She will turn Willy in to the British.
(d) She will trick Willy.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Willy say she works?
2. From where is Mr. Goodrich?
3. To whom does Willy know she should write?
4. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
5. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)