|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example set by Horace does Willy say she'll do?
(a) Say her evening prayers.
(b) Go to church every Sunday.
(c) Be polite to white folk.
(d) Save all her money.
2. Why is the judge angry at Captain Ivers?
(a) He is not angry.
(b) For making a false claim on Willy.
(c) For whipping Jack.
(d) For striking Willy when her mother is dying.
3. What does Aunt Betsy realize that Uncle Jack does not?
(a) Willy must see her mother.
(b) Willy is willing to risk capture.
(c) Willy has become very mature.
(d) Lucy might live if she sees Willy.
4. Who is Elizur Goodrich?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A baker.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
5. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He says he does not believe her.
(b) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(c) He says she should start wearing dresses.
(d) He offers her a job at the tavern.
6. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) She would be safe there.
(b) Someone saw a group of black women there.
(c) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
(d) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
7. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
(a) She gave it to a blind beggar.
(b) She dropped in when getting off a ship.
(c) It was stolen.
(d) She is a runaway slave.
8. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
(a) Shakes the bag and eats the sugar that falls off the pastries.
(b) Buys herself something also.
(c) Studies over how the sweets are made.
(d) Asks to buy the tarts that are malformed for a discount.
9. How many years have passed since the battle that kills Willy's father?
10. Whom does Willy mention when Mr. Fraunces questions her?
(a) Jack Arabus.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Captain Ivers.
11. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She is young and pretty.
(b) She has been brutally beaten.
(c) She is a nun.
(d) She is very old.
12. Whom does Willy go to see for help?
(a) Mr. Goodrich.
(b) No one.
(c) The Ledyards.
(d) The local constable.
13. What does Willy decide to pretend?
(a) Her family lives in the city.
(b) She is a boy.
(c) Her father is still alive.
(d) She can return home whenever she wants.
14. Where does Willy think Mr. Fraunces' loyalties might lie?
(a) With the Americans.
(b) With the British.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) With slave owners such as Captain Ivers.
15. For whom does Willy say she works?
(a) The American general.
(b) Sam Fraunces.
(c) No one.
(d) The British general.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Fraunces tell Willy to do?
2. What does Willy scream at Captain Ivers?
3. What else does Mr. Fraunces say Willy can do in New York?
4. When does Willy get off the wagon?
5. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)