|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Horace insist upon after learning about Willy being a girl?
(a) Sleeping in separate areas.
(b) Helping her with the heavy work.
(c) Helping her cook.
(d) Willy wearing a dress.
2. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
(a) He bought Willy from Colonel Ledyard.
(b) Willy stole from him the last time she was here.
(c) Willy's father is still alive.
(d) Willy is free but owes him money for that freedom.
3. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
4. What does Willy notice about the Queen's Head?
(a) It is built of stone.
(b) It has multiple chimneys.
(c) It is well kept.
(d) It is dirty and dark.
5. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In the woods.
(c) In the chicken coop.
(d) In the kitchen of his small shack.
6. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hide in the straw bales.
(b) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
(c) Hide in the pile of furs.
(d) Hide in his pile of wood.
7. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
(a) Stay in New York since her mother will probably be dead before she gets to her.
(b) Go to her mother immediately.
(c) Take Horace for safety.
(d) Contact him if she finds herself in trouble.
8. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
(a) Her mother is in Virginia.
(b) Her mother died the year before.
(c) Her mother is with Aunt Betsy.
(d) Her father's farm is being sold.
9. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
(b) Working on board a British ship.
(c) Working in England after being transported there.
(d) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
10. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) She is afraid of being enslaved.
(b) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
(c) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(d) She has no decent clothes to wear.
11. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
(a) To a small shack on the river.
(b) To a small shack in the woods.
(c) To the stables.
(d) To the cellar where her mother is.
12. For whom does Willy say she works?
(a) The American general.
(b) The British general.
(c) Sam Fraunces.
(d) No one.
13. What does Willy learn from the woman she first encounters in Canvas Town?
(a) Her mother has married a British soldier.
(b) The woman knows Willy's mother.
(c) Her mother works in the rich section of New York.
(d) Willy's mother had been there but was traveling home.
14. Where does Horace suggest they get a meal?
(a) In the kitchen at the Queen's Head.
(b) In a inn that sailors frequent.
(c) On the wharf.
(d) At the boarding house where he stays.
15. What does Willy realize about Horace as they are talking?
(a) He is half white.
(b) He is a slave.
(c) He is an orphan.
(d) He does not believe her story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are in abundance at Canvas Town?
2. What does Willy fear about the woman in Canvas Town?
3. Who is Horace?
4. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
5. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)