|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What college do Willy and Mr. Goodrich pass on the way to the courthouse?
2. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) They just sleep out in the open.
(b) Stacking bales of straw.
(c) Stretching sailcloth.
(d) Stacking piles of wood.
3. Where do the cooks send Willy for tarts or other sweets?
(a) Mrs. Joseph Connor's shop.
(b) Mr. Joseph Corre's shop.
(c) Mr. Conrad's shop.
(d) The Sweet Tooth.
4. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She is a nun.
(b) She is very old.
(c) She has been brutally beaten.
(d) She is young and pretty.
5. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy really has some money.
(c) Willy is a runaway slave.
(d) Willy is a boy.
6. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) They are free people.
(b) He lost a court case.
(c) His conscience forces him to do so.
(d) He feels sorry for them.
7. Why is Horace uncomfortable?
(a) The cook teases him about a girl down the street.
(b) He is unsure how Mr. Fraunces will react to Willy.
(c) He just realized Willy is a girl.
(d) His mother admonishes him about bringing strangers home.
8. What does Mr. Goodrich urge Willy to do?
(a) Stay in New York since her mother will probably be dead before she gets to her.
(b) Take Horace for safety.
(c) Contact him if she finds herself in trouble.
(d) Go to her mother immediately.
9. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
(a) Cry to get his sympathy.
(b) Refuse to talk.
(c) Tell him half truths.
(d) Lie completely.
10. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
(a) To the cellar where her mother is.
(b) To a small shack in the woods.
(c) To the stables.
(d) To a small shack on the river.
11. What rumor did Captain Ivers spread?
(a) Willy is free but owes him money for that freedom.
(b) He bought Willy from Colonel Ledyard.
(c) Willy stole from him the last time she was here.
(d) Willy's father is still alive.
12. What do most people say about the female prisoners on the ships?
(a) They will be the last to be released.
(b) They were not brought back from England.
(c) They were left in Virginia.
(d) There are none.
13. What does Willy scream at Captain Ivers?
(a) He allowed her mother to die.
(b) He is Satan.
(c) He is not her owner.
(d) He is responsible for the lives of his slaves.
14. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
(a) The lawyer says she could come if she had some money.
(b) She has no decent clothes to wear.
(c) The lawyer does not want her to do so.
(d) She is afraid of being enslaved.
15. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) She would be safe there.
(b) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
(c) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
(d) Someone saw a group of black women there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
2. Why does Willy end up telling Mr. Fraunces the entire truth of her past?
3. What does Uncle Jack say when he sees Willy?
4. What does Willy do when she is sent to buy sweets for the tavern?
5. Why is the judge angry at Captain Ivers?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)