|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Horace uncomfortable?
(a) He just realized Willy is a girl.
(b) The cook teases him about a girl down the street.
(c) His mother admonishes him about bringing strangers home.
(d) He is unsure how Mr. Fraunces will react to Willy.
2. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(b) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(c) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(d) No doctor would attend a black person.
3. What does Horace think about Willy that is not true?
(a) Willy is a runaway slave.
(b) Willy really has some money.
(d) Willy is a boy.
4. What does Willy do on the ship on the way to the Coast?
(d) Polishes railings.
5. What sort of rumors are flying about in Chapter 11?
(a) King George is coming to America.
(b) The war is about to end.
(c) The British have won the war.
(d) George Washington is dead.
6. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Working on board a British ship.
(b) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
(c) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
(d) Working in England after being transported there.
7. What does Willy fear about the woman in Canvas Town?
(a) She will trick Willy.
(b) She will try to sell Willy back to Captain Ivers.
(c) She will turn Willy in to the New York constable.
(d) She will turn Willy in to the British.
8. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(b) He offers her a job at the tavern.
(c) He says he does not believe her.
(d) He says she should start wearing dresses.
9. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) They just sleep out in the open.
(b) Stretching sailcloth.
(c) Stacking bales of straw.
(d) Stacking piles of wood.
10. Who is Elizur Goodrich?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A baker.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A soldier.
11. Why does Willy think she should search Canvas Town?
(a) Mr. Fraunces suggests that she do so.
(b) Someone saw a group of black women there.
(c) She would be safe there.
(d) Some of the women who are homeless end up in Canvas Town.
12. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(b) Wearing female clothing again.
(c) Going to church.
(d) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
13. What does Willy learn from the woman she first encounters in Canvas Town?
(a) Willy's mother had been there but was traveling home.
(b) The woman knows Willy's mother.
(c) Her mother has married a British soldier.
(d) Her mother works in the rich section of New York.
14. To whom does Willy know she should write?
(a) Mrs. Ledyard.
(b) Captain Ivers.
(c) Aunt Betsy.
(d) No one.
15. What does Willy scream at Captain Ivers?
(a) He is not her owner.
(b) He is Satan.
(c) He allowed her mother to die.
(d) He is responsible for the lives of his slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
2. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
3. Mr. Goodrich says he can help Willy with _____________.
4. Why does Willy reveal that she's a girl to Horace?
5. When do the British finally leave New York?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)