|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are being brought back to America from England.
(b) They are being dumped into the bay.
(c) They are being set free.
(d) They are being taken to England.
2. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
(a) She gave it to a blind beggar.
(b) She dropped in when getting off a ship.
(c) It was stolen.
(d) She is a runaway slave.
3. What does Willy learn from the woman she first encounters in Canvas Town?
(a) The woman knows Willy's mother.
(b) Her mother works in the rich section of New York.
(c) Her mother has married a British soldier.
(d) Willy's mother had been there but was traveling home.
4. What does Aunt Betsy realize that Uncle Jack does not?
(a) Willy must see her mother.
(b) Lucy might live if she sees Willy.
(c) Willy has become very mature.
(d) Willy is willing to risk capture.
5. How does Willy get some medicine for Lucy?
(a) She is unable to get any medicine.
(b) By gathering herbs in the woods.
(c) From another slave who had been ill.
(d) By begging a doctor.
6. Who comes in when Willy and Horace are about to eat?
(a) The cook.
(b) Mr. Fraunces.
(c) Two British soldiers.
(d) Two American soldiers.
7. From where is Mr. Goodrich?
(d) New Hampshire.
8. What is the woman like whom Willy and Horace first encounter in Canvas Town?
(a) She is a nun.
(b) She is very old.
(c) She is young and pretty.
(d) She has been brutally beaten.
9. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
(a) Captain Ivers might try to claim she is his slave.
(b) She does not know how to prevent the sale of the farm.
(c) Virginia is such a long distance.
(d) She has finally finished mourning and does not want to lose her mother again.
10. Who is Horace?
(a) Willy's cousin.
(b) The boy who offers Willy a ride.
(c) The ferry conductor.
(d) The soldier posted near the ferry entrance.
11. What is Mr. Fraunces' response to Willy's tale about her past?
(a) He says she should start wearing dresses.
(b) He offers her a job at the tavern.
(c) He says she should go back to her family's farm.
(d) He says he does not believe her.
12. Where is the woman that Willy talked to when she and Horace return to Canvas Town?
(a) In a tent dead.
(b) She has disappeared.
(c) Selling alcohol she has made.
(d) In a tent delirious with fever.
13. Why does Mr. Fraunces pay Willy and Horace?
(a) He feels sorry for them.
(b) His conscience forces him to do so.
(c) He lost a court case.
(d) They are free people.
14. What does Willy try to do at first when speaking to Mr. Fraunces?
(a) Refuse to talk.
(b) Tell him half truths.
(c) Lie completely.
(d) Cry to get his sympathy.
15. What sort of rumors are flying about in Chapter 11?
(a) George Washington is dead.
(b) The war is about to end.
(c) The British have won the war.
(d) King George is coming to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy fear about the woman in Canvas Town?
2. What would stop Willy from reaching the city?
3. What example set by Horace does Willy say she'll do?
4. What does Mr. Goodrich tell Willy when he comes to the tavern?
5. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)