|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
(a) To a small shack in the woods.
(b) To a small shack on the river.
(c) To the stables.
(d) To the cellar where her mother is.
2. What does Horace say when Willy tells him goodbye?
(a) He wishes she were a boy.
(b) He is glad she is a girl.
(c) He wants her to marry him.
(d) He wants to go with her.
3. What does Willy start doing once everyone knows she is a girl?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Taking advantage of Horace's protectiveness.
(d) Wearing female clothing again.
4. What does Willy realize about Horace as they are talking?
(a) He is half white.
(b) He is an orphan.
(c) He does not believe her story.
(d) He is a slave.
5. How does Willy feel in her home at the tavern?
6. What does Willy learn from the woman she first encounters in Canvas Town?
(a) Her mother has married a British soldier.
(b) Her mother works in the rich section of New York.
(c) Willy's mother had been there but was traveling home.
(d) The woman knows Willy's mother.
7. How does Willy get some medicine for Lucy?
(a) She is unable to get any medicine.
(b) By begging a doctor.
(c) From another slave who had been ill.
(d) By gathering herbs in the woods.
8. How does the boy suggest Willy get into the city?
(a) Hide in his pile of wood.
(b) Hold on to the underside of the wagon.
(c) Hide in the straw bales.
(d) Hide in the pile of furs.
9. Where do the cooks send Willy for tarts or other sweets?
(a) The Sweet Tooth.
(b) Mrs. Joseph Connor's shop.
(c) Mr. Conrad's shop.
(d) Mr. Joseph Corre's shop.
10. What does Horace insist upon after learning about Willy being a girl?
(a) Sleeping in separate areas.
(b) Helping her cook.
(c) Willy wearing a dress.
(d) Helping her with the heavy work.
11. Why does Mr. Fraunces send Willy to the docks?
(a) To draw a picture of the surrender of the British.
(b) To look for her mother.
(c) To buy fish.
(d) To find a British officer who is a friend of Mr. Fraunces.
12. Where does Willy find Uncle Jack?
(a) In the kitchen of his small shack.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In the chicken coop.
13. How do people make temporary housing in Canvas Town?
(a) Stretching sailcloth.
(b) Stacking bales of straw.
(c) They just sleep out in the open.
(d) Stacking piles of wood.
14. In what month is there word that the British have officially lost the war?
15. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
(b) Working on board a British ship.
(c) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
(d) Working in England after being transported there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy scream at Captain Ivers?
2. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
3. What example set by Horace does Willy say she'll do?
4. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
5. Why does Willy reveal that she's a girl to Horace?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)