|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy fear Mr. Fraunces will do with her?
(a) Turn her over to the British.
(b) Make her a slave.
(c) Give her back to Captain Ivers.
(d) Turn her into the New York militia.
2. What sort of rumors are flying about in Chapter 11?
(a) King George is coming to America.
(b) George Washington is dead.
(c) The war is about to end.
(d) The British have won the war.
3. Mr. Goodrich says he can help Willy with _____________.
(a) Passage partway to Stratford.
(b) Help proving Willy is not a slave.
(c) Help proving her mother is not a slave.
(d) Legal bills.
4. What does Willy do when she feels guilty for spending her money foolishly?
(a) Gives Horace some.
(b) Asks Horace to keep her pay safe for her.
(c) Vows to be better.
(d) Asks Mr. Fraunces to keep her pay safe for her.
5. Whom does Willy go to see for help?
(a) Mr. Goodrich.
(b) No one.
(c) The Ledyards.
(d) The local constable.
6. Where had Lucy been during the Revolutionary War?
(a) Working in a British prisoner camp outside of New York.
(b) Working in England after being transported there.
(c) Working on board a British ship.
(d) Hiding out near where her husband had been killed.
7. What is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are being set free.
(b) They are being brought back to America from England.
(c) They are being taken to England.
(d) They are being dumped into the bay.
8. Why does Willy hang a horse blanket in the loft?
(a) She catches Horaces peeking at her while she is dressing.
(b) To help keep the loft warm.
(c) To block out the light from the stables.
(d) As decoration.
9. Why can't Willy get a doctor to look at her mother?
(a) The area doctor is killed in the war.
(b) Captain Ivers has forbidden it.
(c) The closest doctor is fifty miles away.
(d) No doctor would attend a black person.
10. What do most people say about the female prisoners on the ships?
(a) There are none.
(b) They were left in Virginia.
(c) They will be the last to be released.
(d) They were not brought back from England.
11. What does Uncle Jack say when he sees Willy?
(a) Willy's mother has been there for several months.
(b) She is safe as Captain Ivers is dead.
(c) She is in danger.
(d) Mrs. Ledyard verified Willy's freedom.
12. Where does Willy think Mr. Fraunces' loyalties might lie?
(a) With slave owners such as Captain Ivers.
(b) With the Americans.
(c) With the British.
(d) She has no idea.
13. Where does Aunt Betsy take Willy?
(a) To a small shack in the woods.
(b) To a small shack on the river.
(c) To the stables.
(d) To the cellar where her mother is.
14. Why does Willy say she has no money to get to New York?
(a) It was stolen.
(b) She gave it to a blind beggar.
(c) She dropped in when getting off a ship.
(d) She is a runaway slave.
15. Who brings Lucy to Stratton?
(b) Dan Arabus.
(c) Mr. Goodrich.
(d) Captain Ivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are being used to house prisoners?
2. What does Willy notice about the Queen's Head?
3. How does Horace end up going with Willy to Canvas Town?
4. Why doesn't Willy go to help get her uncle out of jail?
5. Why is Willy hesitant about pursuing the information Mr. Goodrich brings?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)