|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Willy see when she wakes from her faint?
(a) Colonel Ledyard.
(b) Her father.
(d) A British soldier.
2. What does Jordan say to one of the black soldiers?
(a) Orders the soldier to let Willy go.
(b) Tells him to leave the cow's carcass.
(c) Tells him to get off his land.
(d) Asks him about joining the British army.
3. What does Lucy tell two black men to take with them?
(a) The cow meat.
(b) Some greens.
(c) Some mushrooms.
(d) The cow's milk.
4. What does Willy do when she wakes the next morning?
(a) Feeds the chickens and makes her mother breakfast.
(b) Cries and goes back to sleep.
(c) Calls out for her mother.
(d) Gets on her horse to go get her father's body.
5. What does Willy think about instead of her father?
(a) The horse.
(b) The smells around her.
(c) The cow.
(d) Her mother.
6. About what does Lucy debate as she is walking?
(a) Whether she wants to claim to be British or American.
(b) If her mother is still alive.
(c) Whether she should go into New York City.
(d) If the British are right.
7. Why can't Willy do one of her daily chores today?
(a) The horses are too restless with all the cannon sounds.
(b) The Ledyards have left for New York.
(c) Because of the fighting between the Americans and British.
(d) There are no needles in the house.
8. What does the black man do after that?
(a) Apologize to Lucy.
(b) Grab Willy's breasts.
(c) Give Willy a gold coin.
(d) Grab Willy's arm.
9. What does Willy say she wants to do when questioned by Betsy?
(a) Move to Canada.
(b) Stay with Betsy.
(c) Go back home.
(d) Travel to New York.
10. What is Willy's most vivid memory of "that day"?
(a) An owl hooting.
(b) The dog howling.
(c) The sun flashing on the bayonets.
(d) Men screaming.
11. Where is Jordan at the moment?
(a) Planting the fields.
(b) In town seeing a doctor.
(c) Drilling with an American regiment.
(d) Fishing on the bay.
12. How does Jordan get into the fort?
(a) Through a small gate at the rear of the fort.
(b) Through the main gate.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) Over the wall.
13. Why does Betsy cry when Willy is talking with her?
(a) Over what has happened to Lucy.
(b) She does not cry.
(c) Because Willy is so sad.
(d) Because they will probably have to leave their home.
14. What does Willy's mother say is safer for Jordan than fighting?
(a) Being a messenger for the American officers.
(b) Fishing on the bay.
(c) Being a slave.
(d) Waiting on the American generals.
15. Where does Willy think her mother might be taken?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suddenly frightens Willy as she is about to milk the cow?
2. What does Willy drop on the beach near her boat?
3. What does Willy wish on this particular day?
4. Who tells Willy to gather up her possessions and come to Granny's home?
5. Who is Colonel Ledyard?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)