|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
(a) Lies down and cries.
(b) Makes something to eat.
(c) Packs up her belongings.
(d) Goes to the barn to feed the chickens.
2. What does Captain Ivers say he needs Dan to do?
(a) Help him take some horses to sell to the Americans.
(b) Deliver a message to a man near the beach.
(c) Help him take some cows to sell to the Americans.
(d) Help him take some horses to sell to the British.
3. What does Willy help a young boy do?
(a) Take water around to the soldiers.
(b) Make food for the soldiers.
(c) Make cartridges for the muskets.
(d) Tear up sheets for bandages.
4. What do the two men say to Willy and her mother?
(a) They did not know the cow belonged to a black family.
(b) Their fish were confiscated by the British.
(c) Their fish were confiscated by the Americans.
(d) They would like some milk from the cow.
5. What does Willy learn about her mother?
(a) She went to the Ledyard home.
(b) She went to retrieve her husband's body.
(c) The British took her.
(d) She is dead.
6. What does Willy's mother say is safer for Jordan than fighting?
(a) Waiting on the American generals.
(b) Being a messenger for the American officers.
(c) Fishing on the bay.
(d) Being a slave.
7. Where is Freeman the cow kept?
(a) In the barn right next to the house.
(b) In the pasture that lies fallow.
(c) In what Willy calls a salt marsh.
(d) It wanders around the farm where it wants to go.
8. What message do the British send to the fort?
(a) They do not send a note.
(b) A demand for their surrender.
(c) An offer to let the women and children leave the fort.
(d) A demand for their British prisoners.
9. What does Willy promise to Betsy that she will do?
(a) Find her mother.
(b) Find a way to free Betsy.
(c) Work hard.
(d) Teach Betsy to read.
10. What does the black man do after that?
(a) Give Willy a gold coin.
(b) Grab Willy's breasts.
(c) Apologize to Lucy.
(d) Grab Willy's arm.
11. Why does the soldier that grabs Willy laugh?
(a) She is so skinny.
(b) He does not laugh.
(c) He thinks she is crazy to be searching for her mother.
(d) He thinks she is using potatoes to look like a girl.
12. Whom does Betsy say Willy resembles?
(b) Betsy's grandmother.
(c) Betsy's mother.
(d) Willy's father.
13. Where does Willy think her mother might be taken?
(a) New York.
14. Why are Willy's parents free?
(a) They saved money and bought their freedom.
(b) They were never slaves.
(c) Jordan has agreed to fight with the Americans.
(d) Their slave owner died.
15. How old is Willy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jordan say to one of the black soldiers?
2. Who does Willy see when she wakes from her faint?
3. What does Willy suddenly think might be possible?
4. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
5. Why is Uncle Jack at home?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)