|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message do the British send to the fort?
(a) An offer to let the women and children leave the fort.
(b) A demand for their British prisoners.
(c) A demand for their surrender.
(d) They do not send a note.
2. What does Captain Ivers say to his wife?
(a) To be quiet.
(b) To look at Willy's papers.
(c) To find him a pen and paper.
(d) To fix him some food.
3. Who are Jordan and Lucy?
(a) Willy's siblings.
(b) Willy's parents.
(c) Willy's grandparents.
(d) Willy's aunt and uncle.
4. About what is Willy afraid?
(a) Willy's mother is searching for her.
(b) Captain Ivers will force her back into slavery.
(c) Her family's farm will be lost.
(d) Mrs. Ivers will treat her badly.
5. Why does the soldier that grabs Willy laugh?
(a) He thinks she is crazy to be searching for her mother.
(b) He thinks she is using potatoes to look like a girl.
(c) She is so skinny.
(d) He does not laugh.
6. What does Captain Ivers ask Willy when he first sees her?
(a) If she is interested in joining the army.
(b) If she can cook.
(c) If she is a runaway.
(d) If she is with the British forces.
7. What does Willy's mother say about Willy's dress?
(a) She has to change from it into her milking britches.
(b) She has to patch the sleeve.
(c) She needs to fix the hem.
(d) She has almost outgrown the dress.
8. What does Colonel Ledyard do that is not required of him?
(a) Works as a spy for the British.
(b) Frees the entire Freeman family.
(c) Frees all his slaves.
(d) Joins the American forces.
9. Where is Jordan at the moment?
(a) Fishing on the bay.
(b) Drilling with an American regiment.
(c) Planting the fields.
(d) In town seeing a doctor.
10. What does Willy learn about her mother?
(a) She went to the Ledyard home.
(b) She went to retrieve her husband's body.
(c) The British took her.
(d) She is dead.
11. How does Jordan get into the fort?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Through a small gate at the rear of the fort.
(c) Through the main gate.
(d) Over the wall.
12. What does Willy say to the two black men?
(a) She wishes the British would leave the area.
(b) She did not know the British had black soldiers.
(c) She thinks the British are mean.
13. What does the cow represent to Lucy Freeman?
(d) Freedom and ownership.
14. What is Willy's most vivid memory of "that day"?
(a) An owl hooting.
(b) The sun flashing on the bayonets.
(c) The dog howling.
(d) Men screaming.
15. Whom does Betsy say Willy resembles?
(a) Betsy's mother.
(b) Willy's father.
(c) Betsy's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willy get into the fort?
2. What military fort is near Willy's house?
3. What does Willy do when she wakes the next morning?
4. What is in Baker's Cove?
5. What suddenly frightens Willy as she is about to milk the cow?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)