|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy think about instead of her father?
(a) The smells around her.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The cow.
(d) The horse.
2. What is in Baker's Cove?
(a) Some of the neighbors.
(b) Jordan's boat.
(c) Willy's aunt and uncle.
(d) A small group of American soldiers.
3. What does Willy say she wants to do when questioned by Betsy?
(a) Stay with Betsy.
(b) Go back home.
(c) Move to Canada.
(d) Travel to New York.
4. What word does Willy hear when she gets back to the horse?
5. About what is Willy afraid?
(a) Willy's mother is searching for her.
(b) Her family's farm will be lost.
(c) Captain Ivers will force her back into slavery.
(d) Mrs. Ivers will treat her badly.
6. Where is Freeman the cow kept?
(a) In what Willy calls a salt marsh.
(b) In the barn right next to the house.
(c) In the pasture that lies fallow.
(d) It wanders around the farm where it wants to go.
7. What does Captain Ivers say to his wife?
(a) To look at Willy's papers.
(b) To fix him some food.
(c) To find him a pen and paper.
(d) To be quiet.
8. Why are Willy's parents free?
(a) Jordan has agreed to fight with the Americans.
(b) They were never slaves.
(c) Their slave owner died.
(d) They saved money and bought their freedom.
9. What do the two men say to Willy and her mother?
(a) Their fish were confiscated by the British.
(b) They would like some milk from the cow.
(c) They did not know the cow belonged to a black family.
(d) Their fish were confiscated by the Americans.
10. Why can't Willy do one of her daily chores today?
(a) Because of the fighting between the Americans and British.
(b) The horses are too restless with all the cannon sounds.
(c) There are no needles in the house.
(d) The Ledyards have left for New York.
11. Where does Willy decide she should go?
(a) To Stratford.
(b) To Philadelphia.
(c) To New York.
(d) To Washington.
12. Who is Colonel Ledyard?
(a) An elderly man who used to be in the British army.
(b) The leader of the American regiment passing by the Freeman home.
(c) The Freeman's former owner.
(d) The leader of the British regiment passing by the Freeman home.
13. How does Willy distract her captives?
(a) By tossing pebbles into the woods.
(b) By waving at imaginary foes.
(c) By screaming about a snake.
(d) By screaming about a bear.
14. What does Willy say to the two black men?
(a) She thinks the British are mean.
(c) She did not know the British had black soldiers.
(d) She wishes the British would leave the area.
15. Why is Jordan happy about his horse?
(a) The horse is over a bout of colic.
(b) The horse is no longer lame.
(c) The horse is pregnant.
(d) The black men did not find it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Willy's first words to a British soldier?
2. Where is Jordan at the moment?
3. What does Jordan say to one of the black soldiers?
4. Why does William mistake Willy for a boy?
5. What does Willy discover when she scouts the area?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)