|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Willy to get out of the fort?
(a) William Latham.
(b) An American soldier.
(c) A British soldier.
(d) Her father.
2. What do the two black men say about the Americans?
(a) The Americans believe in torture.
(b) The Americans want to keep the blacks as slaves.
(c) The Americans are going to lose the war.
3. Why does Willy fear for her father's life?
(a) Shots are being fired toward the bay.
(b) He is on his way home and the path is near the conflict.
(c) He does not have his paperwork attesting to his freedom.
(d) He is fighting with Washington's regiment.
4. With whom is Uncle Jack serving?
(a) The Connecticut Line.
(b) The Bremhaven Militia.
(c) The Stanford militia.
(d) No one.
5. Why does Betsy cry when Willy is talking with her?
(a) Because Willy is so sad.
(b) She does not cry.
(c) Over what has happened to Lucy.
(d) Because they will probably have to leave their home.
6. Who has told Willy's uncle about New York?
(a) Colonel Breechton.
(b) Sam Fraunces.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) No one.
7. What does Willy wish on this particular day?
(a) She did not have to work in the family garden.
(b) She could go to the school that the white children attend.
(c) Her mother would allow her to go to town to meet her father.
(d) Her father were home.
8. What do the two men say to Willy and her mother?
(a) Their fish were confiscated by the Americans.
(b) They did not know the cow belonged to a black family.
(c) Their fish were confiscated by the British.
(d) They would like some milk from the cow.
9. What does Willy discover when she scouts the area?
(a) Someone has buried her father.
(b) The horse has been stolen.
(c) The bay is filled with British ships.
(d) There are only a few people left in the village.
10. What does Captain Ivers say he needs Dan to do?
(a) Deliver a message to a man near the beach.
(b) Help him take some horses to sell to the Americans.
(c) Help him take some cows to sell to the Americans.
(d) Help him take some horses to sell to the British.
11. What does Willy do when she wakes the next morning?
(a) Cries and goes back to sleep.
(b) Gets on her horse to go get her father's body.
(c) Feeds the chickens and makes her mother breakfast.
(d) Calls out for her mother.
12. Whom does Betsy say Willy resembles?
(a) Willy's father.
(b) Betsy's mother.
(c) Betsy's grandmother.
13. What angers Willy the next day?
(a) Her uncle is beat for taking in Willy.
(b) Captain Ivers hints that he will claim her as property.
(c) She is made to scrub floors.
(d) She is made to put on a dress.
14. Who are the two men that Willy and her mother encounter?
(a) Willy's father and uncle.
(b) Members of the Third New Jersey Volunteers.
(c) Willy's father and his good friend.
(d) The neighbors to the South and West.
15. What does Willy promise to Betsy that she will do?
(a) Work hard.
(b) Find her mother.
(c) Teach Betsy to read.
(d) Find a way to free Betsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two black men urge Lucy and Willy to do?
2. What does Willy help a young boy do?
3. Who tells Willy she cannot stay with her aunt and uncle?
4. What does Colonel Ledyard do that is not required of him?
5. How does Willy distract her captives?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)