|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Willy get into the fort?
(a) Through the back gate.
(b) Holding onto a rope that her father pulls up.
(c) She does not go to the fort.
(d) By making the horse jump the small outer wall.
2. How does Jordan get into the fort?
(a) Through the main gate.
(b) Through a small gate at the rear of the fort.
(c) Over the wall.
(d) He doesn't.
3. What does Willy say to the two black men?
(a) She did not know the British had black soldiers.
(c) She wishes the British would leave the area.
(d) She thinks the British are mean.
4. What is one of Willy's daily jobs?
(a) To check the fences.
(b) To mend the family's clothes.
(c) To take the mild to the Ledyard family.
(d) To clean out the barn.
5. What military fort is near Willy's house?
(a) Fort Annapolis.
(b) Fort Sumpter.
(c) Fort Lee.
(d) Fort Griswold.
6. What do the two men say to Willy and her mother?
(a) Their fish were confiscated by the British.
(b) They would like some milk from the cow.
(c) They did not know the cow belonged to a black family.
(d) Their fish were confiscated by the Americans.
7. What happens to Jordan after Colonel Ledyard surrenders?
(b) He is let go.
(c) He is eventually killed.
(d) He is imprisoned.
8. Where is the likely place for a battle between the British and Americans?
(a) Near the coast about 100 miles from Willy's home.
(b) Nowhere near the area of Willy's home.
(c) The fort near Willy's home.
(d) In a valley about forty miles away.
9. What does Willy promise to Betsy that she will do?
(a) Find her mother.
(b) Work hard.
(c) Find a way to free Betsy.
(d) Teach Betsy to read.
10. What message do the British send to the fort?
(a) A demand for their surrender.
(b) A demand for their British prisoners.
(c) They do not send a note.
(d) An offer to let the women and children leave the fort.
11. Why does Jordan want Willy to go with him to the woods near the fort?
(a) To witness how awful war is.
(b) To take a messag to Colonel Ledyard.
(c) To hold the horse while Jordan runs to the fort to give a message.
(d) To bring the horse back home.
12. Who arrives while Willy is waiting for her mother?
(a) Granny Hyde.
(b) Mrs. Ledyard.
(c) William Latham.
13. What does Willy wish on this particular day?
(a) Her father were home.
(b) Her mother would allow her to go to town to meet her father.
(c) She did not have to work in the family garden.
(d) She could go to the school that the white children attend.
14. Who gives Willy a ride at one point on her travel?
(a) A wounded black man in a wagon.
(b) An old black man hauling potatoes.
(c) No one.
(d) A black family headed for New York in a wagon.
15. How old is Willy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jordan at the moment?
2. What is Willy's real name?
3. Who tells Willy to gather up her possessions and come to Granny's home?
4. What does Willy help a young boy do?
5. Who is Colonel Ledyard?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)