|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy think about instead of her father?
(a) The cow.
(b) The horse.
(c) The smells around her.
(d) Her mother.
2. Who passes by Willy's house?
(b) A group of slaves.
(c) British soldiers.
(d) American soldiers.
3. Where does Willy stay near when she is traveling?
(a) The edge of the woods.
(b) The marshes.
(c) The beach.
(d) The coastline.
4. What military fort is near Willy's house?
(a) Fort Griswold.
(b) Fort Lee.
(c) Fort Annapolis.
(d) Fort Sumpter.
5. What does Lucy tell two black men to take with them?
(a) The cow's milk.
(b) Some greens.
(c) The cow meat.
(d) Some mushrooms.
6. Who gives Willy a ride at one point on her travel?
(a) An old black man hauling potatoes.
(b) A wounded black man in a wagon.
(c) No one.
(d) A black family headed for New York in a wagon.
7. What suddenly frightens Willy as she is about to milk the cow?
(a) The sound of a woman screaming.
(b) A bear.
(c) The whine of a cannonball.
(d) A wolf.
8. According to Willy, where are her freedom papers?
(a) In the cabin back home.
(b) In her pack.
(c) Her father had them on his person.
(d) She does not know.
9. What do the two black men urge Lucy and Willy to do?
(a) Head south towards Virginia.
(b) Go with them to talk to the black families in the area.
(c) Leave the area with the British.
(d) Ask the British colonel for compensation for the cow.
10. What does the cow represent to Lucy Freeman?
(d) Freedom and ownership.
11. Why does Willy fear for her father's life?
(a) Shots are being fired toward the bay.
(b) He is fighting with Washington's regiment.
(c) He is on his way home and the path is near the conflict.
(d) He does not have his paperwork attesting to his freedom.
12. Why does the soldier that grabs Willy laugh?
(a) He thinks she is crazy to be searching for her mother.
(b) He does not laugh.
(c) He thinks she is using potatoes to look like a girl.
(d) She is so skinny.
13. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
(a) An American raiding party.
(b) A British raiding party.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) Rough water.
14. How does Willy distract her captives?
(a) By waving at imaginary foes.
(b) By tossing pebbles into the woods.
(c) By screaming about a bear.
(d) By screaming about a snake.
15. What does Willy drop on the beach near her boat?
(a) The dress.
(b) The message from Captain Ivers.
(c) The shoes.
(d) The coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jordan at the moment?
2. What angers Willy the next day?
3. What does Willy promise to Betsy that she will do?
4. What does Willy suddenly think might be possible?
5. Why does Jordan want Willy to go with him to the woods near the fort?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)