|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Willy's parents free?
(a) Jordan has agreed to fight with the Americans.
(b) They saved money and bought their freedom.
(c) They were never slaves.
(d) Their slave owner died.
2. Where is Willy determined to go?
(a) To the harbor.
(b) To retrieve her father's body.
(c) To the Ledyard home.
(d) To find her mother.
3. Why is Jordan happy about his horse?
(a) The black men did not find it.
(b) The horse is over a bout of colic.
(c) The horse is no longer lame.
(d) The horse is pregnant.
4. What do the two black men say about the Americans?
(b) The Americans want to keep the blacks as slaves.
(c) The Americans are going to lose the war.
(d) The Americans believe in torture.
5. How old is Willy?
6. What does Willy do?
(b) Turn and walk away.
(c) Tells him she is a girl.
(d) Slap the man.
7. What angers Willy the next day?
(a) Captain Ivers hints that he will claim her as property.
(b) Her uncle is beat for taking in Willy.
(c) She is made to scrub floors.
(d) She is made to put on a dress.
8. Who has told Willy's uncle about New York?
(a) Captain Ivers.
(b) Colonel Breechton.
(c) No one.
(d) Sam Fraunces.
9. About what is Willy afraid?
(a) Her family's farm will be lost.
(b) Captain Ivers will force her back into slavery.
(c) Willy's mother is searching for her.
(d) Mrs. Ivers will treat her badly.
10. What happens to Jordan after Colonel Ledyard surrenders?
(a) He is let go.
(c) He is eventually killed.
(d) He is imprisoned.
11. What message do the British send to the fort?
(a) A demand for their British prisoners.
(b) A demand for their surrender.
(c) They do not send a note.
(d) An offer to let the women and children leave the fort.
12. What is Willy's most vivid memory of "that day"?
(a) An owl hooting.
(b) The dog howling.
(c) Men screaming.
(d) The sun flashing on the bayonets.
13. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
(a) Rough water.
(b) An American raiding party.
(c) A British raiding party.
(d) A thunderstorm.
14. What does Willy's mother say about Willy's dress?
(a) She needs to fix the hem.
(b) She has to patch the sleeve.
(c) She has to change from it into her milking britches.
(d) She has almost outgrown the dress.
15. What does Captain Ivers say he needs Dan to do?
(a) Help him take some horses to sell to the British.
(b) Help him take some horses to sell to the Americans.
(c) Help him take some cows to sell to the Americans.
(d) Deliver a message to a man near the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jordan want Willy to go with him to the woods near the fort?
2. Why is Uncle Jack at home?
3. Why does Betsy cry when Willy is talking with her?
4. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
5. What does Willy say she wants to do when questioned by Betsy?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)