|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willy say she wants to do when questioned by Betsy?
(a) Stay with Betsy.
(b) Travel to New York.
(c) Go back home.
(d) Move to Canada.
2. What is one option Willy thinks about but discards?
(a) Traveling south with many other former slaves.
(b) Staying and taking care of the farm.
(c) Joining the American army pretending to be a boy.
(d) Going to the Ledyard home.
3. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
(a) Goes to the barn to feed the chickens.
(b) Lies down and cries.
(c) Packs up her belongings.
(d) Makes something to eat.
4. Where is Jordan at the moment?
(a) Drilling with an American regiment.
(b) In town seeing a doctor.
(c) Fishing on the bay.
(d) Planting the fields.
5. Who tells Willy to gather up her possessions and come to Granny's home?
(a) Willy's mother.
(b) No one.
(c) Granny Hyde.
(d) Mrs. Ledyard.
6. How does Willy get into the fort?
(a) She does not go to the fort.
(b) Through the back gate.
(c) Holding onto a rope that her father pulls up.
(d) By making the horse jump the small outer wall.
7. What does Willy do?
(b) Turn and walk away.
(c) Slap the man.
(d) Tells him she is a girl.
8. What does Willy say is not a good idea to her aunt?
(a) Going to New York.
(b) Staying with them.
(c) Changing into a dress.
(d) Going back to her family's farm.
9. Why is Uncle Jack at home?
(a) He is on furlough.
(b) He is wounded.
(c) His owner needs him right now.
(d) He is ill.
10. Whom does Betsy say Willy resembles?
(a) Betsy's mother.
(c) Betsy's grandmother.
(d) Willy's father.
11. What is Willy's real name?
12. What does Willy help a young boy do?
(a) Make cartridges for the muskets.
(b) Tear up sheets for bandages.
(c) Take water around to the soldiers.
(d) Make food for the soldiers.
13. What suddenly frightens Willy as she is about to milk the cow?
(a) A bear.
(b) The sound of a woman screaming.
(c) The whine of a cannonball.
(d) A wolf.
14. What does Willy learn about her mother?
(a) She is dead.
(b) The British took her.
(c) She went to retrieve her husband's body.
(d) She went to the Ledyard home.
15. Why does Jordan want Willy to go with him to the woods near the fort?
(a) To take a messag to Colonel Ledyard.
(b) To hold the horse while Jordan runs to the fort to give a message.
(c) To bring the horse back home.
(d) To witness how awful war is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Willy hear when she gets back to the horse?
2. Who are the two men that Willy and her mother encounter?
3. Why does the soldier that grabs Willy laugh?
4. Where is Willy determined to go?
5. What is one of Willy's daily jobs?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)