|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Willy's first words to a British soldier?
(a) Her brother is only ten and not to hurt him.
(b) She's a girl.
(c) She does not speak to the British soldier.
(d) Her father will hurt him if he hurts her.
2. What is in Baker's Cove?
(a) A small group of American soldiers.
(b) Willy's aunt and uncle.
(c) Jordan's boat.
(d) Some of the neighbors.
3. What does Willy help a young boy do?
(a) Make food for the soldiers.
(b) Tear up sheets for bandages.
(c) Take water around to the soldiers.
(d) Make cartridges for the muskets.
4. Why does the soldier that grabs Willy laugh?
(a) He thinks she is using potatoes to look like a girl.
(b) She is so skinny.
(c) He thinks she is crazy to be searching for her mother.
(d) He does not laugh.
5. Where is Jordan at the moment?
(a) In town seeing a doctor.
(b) Fishing on the bay.
(c) Planting the fields.
(d) Drilling with an American regiment.
6. Why is Uncle Jack at home?
(a) He is on furlough.
(b) His owner needs him right now.
(c) He is wounded.
(d) He is ill.
7. Who gives Willy a ride at one point on her travel?
(a) An old black man hauling potatoes.
(b) A black family headed for New York in a wagon.
(c) A wounded black man in a wagon.
(d) No one.
8. Who arrives while Willy is waiting for her mother?
(a) Mrs. Ledyard.
(b) Granny Hyde.
(d) William Latham.
9. What does Jordan say to one of the black soldiers?
(a) Orders the soldier to let Willy go.
(b) Tells him to leave the cow's carcass.
(c) Asks him about joining the British army.
(d) Tells him to get off his land.
10. What does Willy learn about her mother?
(a) She went to retrieve her husband's body.
(b) She went to the Ledyard home.
(c) The British took her.
(d) She is dead.
11. What does the cow represent to Lucy Freeman?
(b) Freedom and ownership.
12. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
(a) An American raiding party.
(b) A British raiding party.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) Rough water.
13. What is one of Willy's daily jobs?
(a) To mend the family's clothes.
(b) To check the fences.
(c) To clean out the barn.
(d) To take the mild to the Ledyard family.
14. What does Willy say to the two black men?
(b) She did not know the British had black soldiers.
(c) She thinks the British are mean.
(d) She wishes the British would leave the area.
15. What does Willy drop on the beach near her boat?
(a) The shoes.
(b) The dress.
(c) The message from Captain Ivers.
(d) The coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Ivers say he needs Dan to do?
2. Why does Willy sit down at home to wait?
3. What does Willy take that she feels badly about?
4. What does Colonel Ledyard do that is not required of him?
5. What is Willy's most vivid memory of "that day"?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)