|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has told Willy's uncle about New York?
(a) No one.
(b) Sam Fraunces.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) Colonel Breechton.
2. What does the cow represent to Lucy Freeman?
(b) Freedom and ownership.
3. What happens to Jordan after Colonel Ledyard surrenders?
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) He is eventually killed.
(d) He is let go.
4. What does Captain Ivers ask Willy when he first sees her?
(a) If she is with the British forces.
(b) If she can cook.
(c) If she is interested in joining the army.
(d) If she is a runaway.
5. What does Lucy tell two black men to take with them?
(a) Some mushrooms.
(b) Some greens.
(c) The cow's milk.
(d) The cow meat.
6. About what is Willy afraid?
(a) Mrs. Ivers will treat her badly.
(b) Willy's mother is searching for her.
(c) Her family's farm will be lost.
(d) Captain Ivers will force her back into slavery.
7. What angers Willy the next day?
(a) She is made to scrub floors.
(b) She is made to put on a dress.
(c) Captain Ivers hints that he will claim her as property.
(d) Her uncle is beat for taking in Willy.
8. Who are the two men that Willy and her mother encounter?
(a) The neighbors to the South and West.
(b) Members of the Third New Jersey Volunteers.
(c) Willy's father and his good friend.
(d) Willy's father and uncle.
9. Why does Willy build a fire?
(a) To roast some potatoes.
(b) To roast some deer meat the old black man gave her.
(c) To roast a rabbit she caught.
(d) To get warm.
10. What does Willy promise to Betsy that she will do?
(a) Teach Betsy to read.
(b) Find her mother.
(c) Find a way to free Betsy.
(d) Work hard.
11. What does Jordan say to one of the black soldiers?
(a) Tells him to get off his land.
(b) Tells him to leave the cow's carcass.
(c) Orders the soldier to let Willy go.
(d) Asks him about joining the British army.
12. Why does Willy fear for her father's life?
(a) He is on his way home and the path is near the conflict.
(b) Shots are being fired toward the bay.
(c) He does not have his paperwork attesting to his freedom.
(d) He is fighting with Washington's regiment.
13. What do the two black men say about the Americans?
(a) The Americans are going to lose the war.
(c) The Americans believe in torture.
(d) The Americans want to keep the blacks as slaves.
14. What does Willy learn that the neighbors thought about Willy?
(a) She had been kidnapped.
(b) She was hiding in the woods.
(c) She had run off with the British.
(d) She had been killed in the fighting.
15. Who gives Willy a ride at one point on her travel?
(a) A black family headed for New York in a wagon.
(b) A wounded black man in a wagon.
(c) No one.
(d) An old black man hauling potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Uncle Jack at home?
2. Where does Willy stay near when she is traveling?
3. Who arrives while Willy is waiting for her mother?
4. What does Willy drop on the beach near her boat?
5. Whom does Betsy say Willy resembles?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)