|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does William mistake Willy for a boy?
(a) She is the only female in the fort.
(b) She has her hair tucked under a leather strip.
(c) She is wearing britches.
(d) He does not mistake her becaues he knows her.
2. What does Colonel Ledyard do that is not required of him?
(a) Works as a spy for the British.
(b) Frees the entire Freeman family.
(c) Frees all his slaves.
(d) Joins the American forces.
3. Whom does Betsy say Willy resembles?
(a) Betsy's mother.
(c) Willy's father.
(d) Betsy's grandmother.
4. Who does Willy see when she wakes from her faint?
(a) Her father.
(c) A British soldier.
(d) Colonel Ledyard.
5. How does Lucy get the cow?
(a) The narrator does not say how she came to have the cow.
(b) She buys it with their life's savings.
(c) In payment for Lucy nursing a child back to health.
(d) She saves the calf's life when it is abandoned.
6. What do the two black men say about the Americans?
(b) The Americans want to keep the blacks as slaves.
(c) The Americans believe in torture.
(d) The Americans are going to lose the war.
7. What does Willy encounter as she is sailing toward New York?
(a) Rough water.
(b) An American raiding party.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) A British raiding party.
8. What does Willy drop on the beach near her boat?
(a) The shoes.
(b) The dress.
(c) The coat.
(d) The message from Captain Ivers.
9. How old is Willy?
10. What does Willy do?
(a) Slap the man.
(b) Turn and walk away.
(c) Tells him she is a girl.
11. What does Willy learn about her mother?
(a) The British took her.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She went to retrieve her husband's body.
(d) She went to the Ledyard home.
12. Who has told Willy's uncle about New York?
(a) Sam Fraunces.
(b) Colonel Breechton.
(c) No one.
(d) Captain Ivers.
13. What happens to Jordan after Colonel Ledyard surrenders?
(a) He is eventually killed.
(c) He is let go.
(d) He is imprisoned.
14. With whom is Uncle Jack serving?
(a) The Stanford militia.
(b) The Connecticut Line.
(c) The Bremhaven Militia.
(d) No one.
15. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
(a) Goes to the barn to feed the chickens.
(b) Lies down and cries.
(c) Makes something to eat.
(d) Packs up her belongings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy do when she wakes the next morning?
2. What does Willy suddenly think might be possible?
3. Why does Betsy cry when Willy is talking with her?
4. What does Willy wish on this particular day?
5. Why are Willy's parents free?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)