|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two black men urge Lucy and Willy to do?
(a) Head south towards Virginia.
(b) Leave the area with the British.
(c) Ask the British colonel for compensation for the cow.
(d) Go with them to talk to the black families in the area.
2. What does Willy learn that the neighbors thought about Willy?
(a) She was hiding in the woods.
(b) She had run off with the British.
(c) She had been kidnapped.
(d) She had been killed in the fighting.
3. Where does Willy think her mother might be taken?
(a) New York.
4. What does Captain Ivers order Willy to do?
(a) Put on a dress.
(b) Leave the house.
(c) Cook him a meal.
(d) Give him her paper attesting to her freedom.
5. What does Colonel Ledyard do that is not required of him?
(a) Works as a spy for the British.
(b) Frees all his slaves.
(c) Frees the entire Freeman family.
(d) Joins the American forces.
6. Where does Willy decide she should go?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Washington.
(c) To Stratford.
(d) To Philadelphia.
7. Whom does Betsy say Willy resembles?
(a) Willy's father.
(b) Betsy's grandmother.
(c) Betsy's mother.
8. What does Willy help a young boy do?
(a) Make food for the soldiers.
(b) Make cartridges for the muskets.
(c) Take water around to the soldiers.
(d) Tear up sheets for bandages.
9. Why does William mistake Willy for a boy?
(a) She has her hair tucked under a leather strip.
(b) He does not mistake her becaues he knows her.
(c) She is wearing britches.
(d) She is the only female in the fort.
10. What does Willy say she wants to do when questioned by Betsy?
(a) Move to Canada.
(b) Stay with Betsy.
(c) Travel to New York.
(d) Go back home.
11. Who passes by Willy's house?
(a) A group of slaves.
(b) American soldiers.
(d) British soldiers.
12. What happens to Jordan after Colonel Ledyard surrenders?
(a) He is eventually killed.
(c) He is let go.
(d) He is imprisoned.
13. How does Lucy get the cow?
(a) She buys it with their life's savings.
(b) The narrator does not say how she came to have the cow.
(c) She saves the calf's life when it is abandoned.
(d) In payment for Lucy nursing a child back to health.
14. What do the two men say to Willy and her mother?
(a) Their fish were confiscated by the British.
(b) Their fish were confiscated by the Americans.
(c) They did not know the cow belonged to a black family.
(d) They would like some milk from the cow.
15. Who has told Willy's uncle about New York?
(a) Sam Fraunces.
(b) Colonel Breechton.
(c) Captain Ivers.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jordan say to one of the black soldiers?
2. What does Willy's mother say about Willy's dress?
3. What word does Willy hear when she gets back to the horse?
4. Who arrives while Willy is waiting for her mother?
5. What does Willy suddenly think might be possible?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)