|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Willy think her mother might be taken?
(c) New York.
2. What does Jordan say to one of the black soldiers?
(a) Tells him to leave the cow's carcass.
(b) Tells him to get off his land.
(c) Asks him about joining the British army.
(d) Orders the soldier to let Willy go.
3. What does Willy's mother tell her to do instead of watching who's passing by the house?
(a) Gather eggs.
(b) Feed the chickens.
(c) Weed the garden.
(d) Milk the cow.
4. What is Willy's real name?
5. What military fort is near Willy's house?
(a) Fort Annapolis.
(b) Fort Griswold.
(c) Fort Lee.
(d) Fort Sumpter.
6. What happens to Jordan after Colonel Ledyard surrenders?
(a) He is let go.
(b) He is eventually killed.
(c) He is imprisoned.
7. What does Willy do immediately after her visitor leaves?
(a) Makes something to eat.
(b) Goes to the barn to feed the chickens.
(c) Packs up her belongings.
(d) Lies down and cries.
8. Why are Willy's parents free?
(a) They were never slaves.
(b) Their slave owner died.
(c) They saved money and bought their freedom.
(d) Jordan has agreed to fight with the Americans.
9. Who are the two men that Willy and her mother encounter?
(a) Members of the Third New Jersey Volunteers.
(b) Willy's father and uncle.
(c) The neighbors to the South and West.
(d) Willy's father and his good friend.
10. Where is the likely place for a battle between the British and Americans?
(a) Nowhere near the area of Willy's home.
(b) In a valley about forty miles away.
(c) Near the coast about 100 miles from Willy's home.
(d) The fort near Willy's home.
11. Who tells Willy she cannot stay with her aunt and uncle?
(a) Captain Ivers.
(b) Mrs. Ivers.
(c) Willy's uncle.
(d) Willy's aunt.
12. Who arrives while Willy is waiting for her mother?
(a) Mrs. Ledyard.
(b) William Latham.
(d) Granny Hyde.
13. About what does Lucy debate as she is walking?
(a) If her mother is still alive.
(b) If the British are right.
(c) Whether she wants to claim to be British or American.
(d) Whether she should go into New York City.
14. How does Jordan get into the fort?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Through the main gate.
(c) Through a small gate at the rear of the fort.
(d) Over the wall.
15. What does Willy say she wants to do when questioned by Betsy?
(a) Travel to New York.
(b) Stay with Betsy.
(c) Go back home.
(d) Move to Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy help a young boy do?
2. What is Willy's most vivid memory of "that day"?
3. Why does the soldier that grabs Willy laugh?
4. Who tells Willy to gather up her possessions and come to Granny's home?
5. According to Willy, where are her freedom papers?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)