|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor do Benjamin and Dr. Barnes use to describe Benjamin's experiences with anti-Semitism?
2. What lesson does Benjamin learn about theory versus life experience?
3. What does Sid's brother do to deal with the trying economic times?
4. What makes Clayton notorious?
5. How does the girl feel about the hack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spying is argued as both honorable and despicable in two scenes in the play. How is it that the same act can be interpreted in very different, sometimes opposite ways? In this play, what gives spying its honor? In what ways is it unacceptable to some? What does deception do to the deceiver and the deceived? What are your thoughts about the decisions that Clayton and Miller made about spying?
Essay Topic 2
Color or the suggestion of color is used metaphorically throughout Scene 1. Name the colors and metaphors, and discuss the advantages of using color to discuss the situation occurring in the Scene. Are there particular emotions, beliefs, or rituals associated with the colors beyond the meanings implied by the metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in the play mention Hollywood or the movies. In what ways do1930s Hollywood influence the characters and their lives? What other media is stressed as important and why?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)