|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Benjamin think about practicing socialized medicine?
2. What are the three things Florence says she wants from life?
3. Why does the Voice correct Fatt's mileage estimate?
4. What does Sid's brother do to deal with the trying economic times?
5. Who initiates the meeting between Dr. Barnes and Benjamin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in the play mention Hollywood or the movies. In what ways do1930s Hollywood influence the characters and their lives? What other media is stressed as important and why?
Essay Topic 2
How is the language of Agate and Fatt similar or different when they attempt to persuade workers? Which approach is most effective? Less successful? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Odets' play has been called dated because of the language. The slang and figurative language almost demand a close reading of the play with a good dictionary at hand. How does the language aid communication and relationships in the 1930s? What does it communicate about the speakers and listeners? What if anything could have influenced the language of the working class? What if any contemporary communications are comparable to Odets' language?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)